Specialized Command BlackLite Dropper Seatpost

3.65/5 (17 Reviews)

We designed the Command Post BlackLite to have three consistent—and most importantly—repeatable saddle height positions. This is crucial for riders and racers who demand the ability to quickly toggle between optimum climbing and descending body positions.

Specialized Command BlackLite Seatpost Adjustable Pro Review

The Command Post BlackLite (CP) is a mechanical 3-position locking height-adjustable seatpost, that comes in 75, 100 and 125mm ranges, and has a handlebar mounted remote, and single bolt keyed saddle clamp system. It’s available in 30.9mm and 31.6mm diameters, 75, 100 and 125mm travel options, and 330, 380 and 405mm lengths, respectively. The three height settings are the Power position or full extension, Cruiser, which is 35mm below Power, and the Descender, which is the lowest travel position, or 75, 100, 125mm below Power. Continue reading →

Submitted by Shamo

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2014

Strengths:    I like the three settings and posted has worked with no issues for the last two years

Weaknesses:    The seat bolt clamp is crap; every time I go down hill and my ass hits the back of the seat it changes the tilt. I have a digital torque wrench and tried it at specified 120psi and seat became a suppository the first big bump. I then adjusted it to 140psi and it worked better only moving a little. At 155psi the bolt breaks so don't go there. Last resort I took my dremel and made deeper groves and added abrasion paste, that works best of all but still not perfect. (FYI: I ride XC and not DH this bike). Also the lever to actuate is difficult to use in cold weather and the prerouted bend does not fit well with my brakes and shifters

Bottom Line:
Would look at a different post if I were to buy again

Submitted by provin1327 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2014

Strengths:    Smooth operation, no wiggle, stylish

Weaknesses:    Hard to get saddle to stay in place

Bottom Line:
I've had this post for one season and I like it a lot. At first I had some trouble with it sticking in the middle position but a quick cleaning fixed that. The saddle seems to move easily when it takes a hard hit but that's nothing that a quick adjustment and tightening can't fix. This is my first dropper post but I really like it. The cruiser position is in a good spot and the post requires a bit of pressure for it to fall from the top position to the cruiser which I really like.

Favorite Trail:   Captain Jacks

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Ascent Cycling

Bike Setup:   Airborne Guardian 29er HT

Submitted by bear a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2013

Strengths:    Relatively high reliability, for a dropper. Easily maintainable. Internals tolerant of minor damage (see below).

Weaknesses:    Setback seat clamp. Remove lever is crud, IMO. Single-bolt saddle rail clamping mechanism. Remote level paddle is hit-or-miss on who will like it. For me, it was simply huge and hard to get into a position where I could use it but it would not be in the way. Cold temperatures make the mechanism work very slowly, if at all, sometimes requiring manual assistance. I have now and then had the collar come loose - this is easy enough to screw back by-hand on the trail, but if you don't catch it then the post can bleed out the air spring. No damage from the post coming loose, just loss of psi.

Bottom Line:
Overall I'm pretty happy with the post, however I got it at a heavy discount when a friend bought a new bike that it came with, who didn't want it, and that helps on the value part.

I really have grown to like the fixed 'cruiser' position, having ridden with other infinite position posts I find this just works better for me. I tend to use that middle position for a lot of the technical trail riding as it is high enough to pedal without killing my knees for some distance but low enough to let me work the trail well with the bike.

The post has about 2500 miles on it in a bit over a year of use, varying conditions from summer to winter. It has functioned reliably throughout, even with a couple mechanical failures.

1st failure was that the remote lever exploded - after about 4 months of use. No crashes, but simply put the pivot wore out. I used a cotter-pin for a while through the lever but eventually replaced it with a Kind Shock remote which is still going strong.

2nd failure was found when doing a routine check of the internals, a couple of the 'leaf' pieces of the collet which locks it in place had broken off at some point. The post worked fine w/o all the leaves, however I sent it in to Specialized for rebuild. Since I wasn't their "original purchaser" it cost me a bit over 100$, including shipping.

The post has never left me "low and dry" on the trail - always able to be locked in any position even if all the air had bled out.

I have had the release mechanism "stick" when temps are low ... as in 14F ambient temp. I have not "winterized" the post yet though, that comes next.

I'd likely buy this post full-price as the only two on the market I'd consider that may be better would be the Kind Shock Lev or the Thomson dropper.

I find that I use the post a lot more than I originally thought I would.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   Gravity Dropper, Giant Contact Switch, Kind Shock (non-Lev)

Bike Setup:   Yeti SB-95 w/Cane Creek DBAir shock and Rock Shox Pike 150 fork, 1x10, WTB Devo saddle, round wheels, black tires, gold chain.

Submitted by Carl

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2013

Strengths:    Price- over other options with these features.

Weaknesses:    Seat clamp bolt had to be retightened. Not a real issue, but keep an eye on it. Also , for new users, it will hammer you in the pills if you're not expecting, or covering for it. Needs slight pressure to activate teh mechanism which I believe, is a good thing.

Bottom Line:
Works exactly how I thought it would. I was not expecting a seat post to add as much as it did to my riding. The ability to hit a switch and transition from descent to climb without stopping, is much greater than I thought it would be. Along with gear changes, I now add the seat post adjustment and BANG, all are there, on time. I'd hapily recommend this to anyone in the market for a seat post. I'm also buying one for my Santa Cruz VP Free. I'm 53 and Yes, I do pedal that 40 lb. thing uphill. And I spend time fiddling with the seat post moving it up and down to transition to the downhill. Not any more!

Submitted by fruitafrank

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2013

Strengths:    Mechanical/cable operated, wiggle free, 2-position drop, consistent operation,dependable,fails in up position[not tested] Low cost

Weaknesses:    none unless you want more than 3 positions

Bottom Line:
I am new to dropper posts so keep that in mind, I am more of a XC rider but in riding Moab and Fruita trails there is plenty of chances to get in trouble. I have watched the local shop riders who ride trails that are diff. to walk down let alone ride and have seen several post failures. Many have switched to the latest Blacklite and have very few failures. I have been using mine for 8 months and 0 issues so far. At first I would check for saddle wiggle as that concerned me but not any more . Its over a 100$ less than others and has been trouble free for me. My big surprise was the improvement in cornering and sometimes climbing. So far a great addition to the bike.

Submitted by XJaredX a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2012

Strengths:    It works. One of the cheaper posts as of this writing

Weaknesses:    None that I found.

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to chime in and say I've used this for 7 months now and it's been flawless, and has not even needed to have air put into it yet. Just oil it every now and again and it's fine. Around 30 degrees F it is slow to raise/ will not raise at all, but Specialized mentions that this will happen in the instruction manual- I simply pull it up again with my thighs.

I realize this is not a super awesome review but it seems like with dropper posts most people just chime in when theirs breaks.

Bike Setup:   '12 Transition Bandit 29

Submitted by mtbike52

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2012

Strengths:    3 positions are great for me, cost

Weaknesses:    After 4 months it would not hold air any longer. Took 6 weeks to get it back from shop with lots of excuses why Specialized took so long to get them the right parts. Had it back for 2 rides and it shot right out the top. Total failure! 3 more weeks later and still no seat post back in my hands.

Bottom Line:
While it worked for the first 4 months it was great. After that its as bad as it gets. Very poor srevice by the LBS and Specialized has left a bad taste for me. Wish I had my money back. 4 months of use for the money does'nt work for me.

Submitted by Jfloren

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2012

Strengths:    Works exactly as it should. Three settings is plenty. Responsive and raises/drops easily and immediately with a push of the button. Relatively lightweight and inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Seat clamp must be overtorqued to prevent fore-aft rotation of the seat when you land on it hard. That's the only thing preventing this dropper post from being perfect in my book.

Bottom Line:
I've used this dropper post heavily for 3 months now and love it. I have 20psi in it (less than recommended minimum) and it works perfectly and has never failed to reach the top promptly, but not so promptly as to cause concern to a male. It is easily adjustable during any riding condition. No wobble, no problems with operation (except for minor issues with the seat clamp, see below), no issues with the cable actuation, which works just fine.

I've tried an infitely adjustable hydraulic post, and although some of those are neat the three settings on this one make it something you don't have to think about during the ride, when you really shouldn't be thinking about it. As MTBR says, everyone should try this, even the weight weenies. They are perfect for those who just want to have fun.

The weight penalty is really quite modest -- only about 300g over a top end lightweight post like the Thomson Elite or various carbon posts. It would be nice to see weight-obsessed XC riders and racers try this and see if the increased versatility and ability to go downhill without being impaled on the seat is worth the small weight increase.

The only issue that prevents this model from being perfect to me is the seat clamp. I had some issues with it, not serious. The instructions advise you to grease the seat clamp upon installation, so I did. I also followed the Specialized torque specs in tightening the seat clamp. I am 225lbs with kit. A few rides later, I slammed down hard on the front of the saddle due to an unexpected bump and the saddle rotated downward with a loud "creak." On a later ride, it rotated backward with another creak when I went over a sudden drop and hit the saddle hard. This was easily fixed when I wiped off all grease and tightened the bolt to a greater torque, and since then it hasn't moved without my consent. (I assume this isn't compromising my seat rails, but I don't have much choice in using this post.) I like the simple design of the seat clamp but I should not have to over-torque the clamp. Specialized should reconsider the instructions, eliminate the advice to use grease, and consider adding a small tube of carbon friction paste or something similar to the package.

But that is really a small gripe about a terrific product, because it has worked for me just fine but for those two occasions. I would definitely buy it again over all the other dropper posts out there.

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes

Submitted by C-Rock a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, TIght (no wobbles). Hasslefree 3 height positions. Looks good. The simplicity of internal mechanisms makes servicing and maintenance simple. Adjustment for "trigger play" allows for a "safe zone" to prevent accidental activations.

Weaknesses:    Speed of operation changes in mid use..causing the need to run higher pressures for faster return to extended position. Cable runs can be troublesome. My cable runs [to avoid interference with frame and cranks] have been down the downtube, and up the seattube, making for a very long run. Longer runs stiffen trigger operations. No option to retrofit a lever-operated trigger on the post itself.

Bottom Line:
For Trail, Heavyduty XC, and AM riding, this dropper post is versatile, as a weight-savings dropper, it's super light. The seat-clamp is very smooth and infinitely adjustable...a pleasure to adjust. Even in moderate crashes and spills, the post has held up well. I use this post alternately on 2 bikes...a full sus carbon bike (my go anywhere bike), and a fully rigid aluminum-frame SS. Use of this post has increased my confidence in many technical riding situations...on skinnies, steep rollers, big-peaked logpiles, and swooping downhills. After years of getting off the bike and making seat adjustments mid-ride, there's finally relief that doesn't add much bulk and/or clunkyness to the ride. I'll stick with this post as long as Specialized and my LBS support it.

Submitted by JUAN TIRADO

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Strengths:    looks nice

Weaknesses:    A lot. Poor materials, specially in level. Doesn't works as it should.

Bottom Line:
I have a 2012 Stumpjumper S-works and the seatpost came with it. I loved it at first. After a few rides, I had to pull up the seat whith my legs, because it doesn't come up by itself (I checked the preassure and it was ok). The level is very hard to push, so if you are riding a fast singletrack you just dont use it. And after a month with it, the level pin broke. Adjustables seatpost are great idea. But if you are planning to buy this one. Think it twice. I love Specialiced, but this product is just not good.

Submitted by Steven a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2012

Strengths:    mechanical, 5" drop, cable quick release, little side to side play, predetermined heights

Weaknesses:    single bolt holding seat in place, button a bit hard to press

Bottom Line:
i have had this post for 3 months now(~50-75 hrs of ride time). about every five rides i put lithium grease on the sanction and have had no issues. had to replace the cable once due to poor routing but the procedure was quick and easy. occasionally if i hit the back of the seat really hard the seat will lean backward a few degrees. hopefully specialized will incorporate a two bolt design and a cable mount on the bottom part of the post so the cable doesn't move when the seat actuates on there next iteration. i like the predetermined heights as there is never any question where my seat is.this is the best dropper post imho with the reverb being a close second.

Favorite Trail:   409.5 crested butte

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Submitted by torque29er a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2012

Strengths:    Works perfectly every time.
Adjustable air pressure to slow down the rebound to protect the "Nuggets", lol

Weaknesses:    Weight, but then this is a common issue with all the adjustable seat post.
External cable issue is really the only concern I have. When in it's lowest position, the cable can inter fear at times with pedaling, rare but typical with ALL these types of seat post that the cable is attached to the sat clamp area and not at the bottom of the seat post.
Other than that, It works as exactly and precisely as advertised...

Bottom Line:
Have it on my Stumpy fsr 29er and its a blast to use. Almost going to put it on my XC bikes, Not !!, too heavy but if they become lighter, for sure.

Bike Setup:   Sworks Stumpy FSR 29er

Submitted by mestapho

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    Just works.

Weaknesses:    None Yet

Bottom Line:
Have been riding on the Command Post Blacklite for 3 months now.
My ride weight, geared up, is around 220, so I'm not light.
I lube the shaft (TWSS) about once every 1-2 weeks with some Slick Honey.
That is the only maintenance I've done to this point.
Easy to remove cable is nice too.

Submitted by Ja725 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2012

Strengths:    Works once in a while

Weaknesses:    Lots

Bottom Line:
Post came with frame. At recommended presure for my weight, the seat wouldn't return to up position. I messed with different presures on a few rides and finally got it to work. Worked for three rides. Then stuck in the up position no matter how hard I bounced on it. At bike shop brilliant mechanic played with it, sang a song to it, hit it with a hammer, said a prayer and got it to work for a few rides. Been going back and forth with these two issues for the past three weeks........ and that's the good part. Most annoying of all is no matter how hard I crank down the seat bolt (recommended 120psi), the nose of the seat suddenly tilts up if my ass hits the seat when descending. I've had to stop on about 10 different occassions to adjust my seat back to level. I'm going back to the old Joplin from my other bike even though it has some side to side play. At least I can get through a ride with it.

Favorite Trail:   Yes