RockShox Reverb Dropper Seatpost

2.94/5 (78 Reviews)

When you're ripping through rolling terrain, cranking the pedals one minute and getting off the back of the bike the next, no seat height is "just right".

RockShox Reverb Seatpost Adjustable Pro Review

This infinitely adjustable seatpost is stupendous, with a silky-smooth stroke, and because of its unique hydraulically controlled remote handlebar lever, it has an easy to operate action, and simple installation. I abused the seatpost for four months, on every imaginable terrain possible, and it has been through rain and snow storms, had sand and dirt tossed at it, and has preformed flawlessly, which is helped fabulously by the custom sealing system. Continue reading →

Submitted by Paul A. a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2014

Strengths:    When it works, it's great. I never thought I'd use a dropper post until I purchased a Trek Remedy, which came with the Reverb. Now I think they're a great concept, and I like the clean cable routing of the Reverb post.

Weaknesses:    This post is too problematic to recommend. I'm on my second post. The first post failed after about 20 hours of use. It started developing more and more play, so that when you sat down, it would compress about half an inch. The issue was worsening over time, regardless of how much air was pumped into it. Now on my second post, it too is developing the same issue, and I've only had it for a couple months.

Bottom Line:
This isn't a $100 component. It's a $355 component. I'm not hard on my components, so at this price I really expect a product with more longevity than this. So far, the Stan's sealant in my tires has outlasted two Reverb seatposts. Rockshox has a great concept in the Reverb, so it's disappointing that I can't recommend this product.

Favorite Trail:   Exporation Trail, Running Springs, CA

Purchased At:   Redlands Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 9 29

Submitted by Shredding J a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2014

Strengths:    Very smooth actuation and solid post. Hydraulic push button set-up is clean and precise. Very little side to side play.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable, and too much maintenance to care for.

Bottom Line:
Purchased 2012 Reverb in December of 2012, and the first month during the cold season. The reverb had a very slow retract and would speed up as the day got warmer. Took to my LBS shop and they did a complete rebuilt and that took about two weeks. It did the trick for about 4 months and it wouldn't fully retract to it full extend and came shy about 1/2". After a few depress and retract, the seat would be in full extend. When in full extent in any length of time of about 1/2 hour or so, it would be hard to push the seat down. I would have to literally give a hard push sit motion. I can't describe the body motion. Did a bleed work done with 130 lbs. Still to no avail. Love the idea of the retractable seat post and will look into LEV for my next seat post. A couple of my friends have no issue.
Buyer....to save yourself money and time. GO WITH LEV. I couldn't decide which one to go with and thought the Hydraulic would have overall smoother action. Too much headaches to deal with when I just want to ride to have fun.

Submitted by Bubba Ghanoosh a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2014

Strengths:    Worked well in the shop and for the first 2 - 3 miles.

Weaknesses:    Failed to fully extend before putting on the FIRST 10 miles on the product.

Bottom Line:
This post came OEM on my 2014 Santa Cruz Bronson. Worked great in the shop and in the garage.

Took it out for its FIRST EVER ride. After about 4 miles, noticed up & down play, i.e. when fully extended I was able to push the stanchion(?) down into the post about 1/4 inch.

Before I could get 10 miles in, the up & down play had increased to almost 1 inch!!

Took it to the shop where they bled it about 5 times, to no avail. They had to warrantee it.

Rockshox said it would be a month before the shop would get the new one.

Duration Product Used:   Two Hours Total!!

Similar Products Used:   KS Lev

Submitted by SLC_Specialized a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2013

Strengths:    Works great when it works

Weaknesses:    Quit working after 6 months of light use.

Bottom Line:
Reverb came with my 2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc. Loved it in Moab, St George riding. Mostly ride Park City, where it hardly gets used. After the P2P noticed that the post would collapse about 1-2" just by sitting on it. I stopped by my local shop, where they took it in for a warranty rebuild.

Quote from the shop: "I wish I could tell you this is the exception, but not the rule"... Seriously?

Probably putting this post on e-bay and trying a LEV.

Favorite Trail:   Mid-mountain

Bike Setup:   Tallboy LTc XX1 Enve

Submitted by Dave L a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2013

Strengths:    Fluid action, good range, lever is ok, adjustable speed, looks pretty

Weaknesses:    Lever breaks easily (it works better upside down), the hose attachment to the post can be vulnerable on some bikes, it bleeds fluid and requires servicing far too quickly, the bushings wear out quickly. Dirty rides just kill this thing. Needs the actuator at the seatpost collar.

Bottom Line:
When it's new it works great (except for the cable travelling). It's on the heavy side however, and I prefer having the remote on the bottom of the bar, which only works for me because I'm on a 1x10.

The remote is vulnerable, I already snapped one. The fluid appears to be made of toxic waste (seriously, only work on this outside, and with gloves+eye protection). The internals seem to not seal well - I only get 2-3 months of good riding before it's leaking fluid and needs a service. Same thing for the bushings, they develop play very quickly.

It was definitely a leader when it came out, but it's longevity issues are a killer. Let's hope Thomson/KS have that part figured out.

Favorite Trail:   Meat Grinder, Pemberton

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Dunbar Cycles, BC

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo HD

Submitted by rufio

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2013

Strengths:    Drop and raise your seatpost without touching the QR. SRAM's customer service. Fluid operated so no cable drag. or cable to replace. In my opinion you could use this in all weather because water and grit can't get in there.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I switched my collar clamp out for a Thomson to clean up the look of my bike and make it easier to put the proper torque on the post (per SRAM). I have the Reverb Stealth. I upgraded after my old, regular Reverb gave up the ghost. I am very happy with the product and product support. There are cheaper ones on the market I'm sure as of late, but I feel as though it is pretty competitively priced. I really don't use it a ton; I would miss it if I did not have it, especially on a long ride with a lot of terrain variance. I probably drop it a few times a ride. It does make me more confident when taking on more technical descents. I pick lines I normally would not take because of having a high post on a bike an not wanting to make an adjustment to break up my rhythm. Now I can drop it an continue on the decline without missing a beat. As far a weight goes, it does add a bit of weight compared to a traditional post, but for trail riding I do not really worry about it too much.

On a side note; the head never loosened up. I was initially worried about the post breaking free and spinning inside the cylinder. This never happened in my experience.

Favorite Trail:   The on I'm on.

Purchased At:   Came stock on my bik

Similar Products Used:   The X-Fusion Hilo on a demo GT Force.
Gravity Dropper Turbo on a rental Santa Cruz.
Specialized BlackLite on Specialized Camber Pro demo bike.

Bike Setup:   130mm ft/rr trail bike. Wide bars, meaty tires, one chainring.

Submitted by alex

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2013

Strengths:    The dropping part, which of course is the most important one, works very well. This dropper post provides smooth gliding action with minimal play.

Weaknesses:    The seat clamp is terrible and, over time, has a real chance to weaken and even break off the saddle rails. The top part of the clamp is maybe a bit more than 50% of the bottom part length. This makes no sense. Did RockShox try to save some material here? I am not heavy but move on the saddle a lot. At first I got some squeaky noises. Then after some months saddle #1 snapped right off. The rails broke just at the edge of the clamp. Now, saddle #2, a completely different saddle btw, is starting to make the same alarming noises. I am not over tightening. If anything, I have not tightened this enough as sometimes the saddle moves bit.

Bottom Line:
A great dropper seat post ruined by a flimsy and downright dangerous clamp design.

Submitted by kevin reier a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2013

Strengths:    reliable , easy to use release button , no play

Weaknesses:    have to cut and bleed hose to fit bike . I did it myself 2 times but would pay bike shop to do it for me next time .

Bottom Line:
I have 2 of these posts , 1 is 2 years old with a lot of miles on it , had to be re bled 1 time but otherwise perfect , no rotational play after 2 years of hard use . the other post is 1 year old and has never needed to be re bled . the bleeding is a pain but the hyd. system for a release button/ lever works so good it makes bleeding worth it . the best release lever/button of any post in my opinion (i have not tried fox yet). no rotational play is great after 2 years .

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Similar Products Used:   gravity dropper , maverick speedball , black mamba

Bike Setup:   ibis mojo

Submitted by rorymm

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2013

Strengths:    It works really well when it works.

Weaknesses:    It is always breaking down and has spent more time in a box of broken parts than on the bike.

Bottom Line:
Buyer be warned. It always needs either to be re-bleed or have the 15 faulty o-ring replaced inside at $100 a fix. PS don't count on rockshox to help you out...both of these major issues are considered to be wear and tear related and just part of the regular maintenance and not covered under warranty. For kicks you should look at the Rockshox youtube video of how to replace a leaky o-ring on the reverb and you tell me if that 2 hour brain surgery of a process is regular maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   Big Springs

Similar Products Used:   X-fusion Hilo

Bike Setup:   2013 Cannondale Trigger 29er 1

Submitted by Nor Cal Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2013

Strengths:    Very smooth operation, liked it when it worked

Weaknesses:    More time in shop then on trail

Bottom Line:
I purchased a 100mm 31.6mm Reverb with my new Carbine 275. Nothing but trouble from day one. First the guy who built my bike routed it thru the the rear link. Thought it was safe as that is how the rear shifting cable goes. Hosing got bound. Rerouted and changed tubing. Real hassle bleeding the hydraulics. Messy. Worked for a while then suddenly lost function. The nipple in the housing at the base of the seat that holds the tubing broke, Too fragile in my opinion. Replaced that, hassle of bleeding. Worked for 3 more rides, then lost pressure in seat return. Took it to local dealer and diagnosis, broken seals in internal portion of post. Needs warranty work. This all occurred over about a months time with less than 200 miles of riding. I would not call it a reliable product. Other issue is since tubing moves with seat in down position did get tire rub at times.

I like how smooth it worked when it worked but too problematic. While the Stealth with its internal routing with most new frames may help alleviate the possibility for tire rub, I am a bit skeptical, because will require lots of work to remove device for service.

I certainly cant recommend

Submitted by THOE

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2013

Strengths:    Light, price,

Weaknesses:    It is a nightmare to repair cost $125 to get overhauled mine failed after 6 months due to quality control, you need special tools to rebuild this.

Bottom Line:
I own three of them two 100mm and a 125mm one. The 125mm one after 6 months lost air could not get anybody including sram to tell me why and where it might be losing air. I figured it out it was coming from the bottom a part from the factory that screws into the air chamber came undone on its own. $75 later I was able to get it back together with no help from sram. All of them have issues it comes down to $$ kept a spare standard seat post around for back up.

Submitted by Dave

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2013

Strengths:    The Reverb looks good all blacked out. It works really well, when it is working. Adjustable speed... Aaaand that's about it.

Weaknesses:    Hydraulic actuator, which needs constant bleeding.
The design if the actuating button needs some work. No matter how I set it up it seems to be a struggle to find the best setup.

Bottom Line:
My only gripe is the fact that I have to keep bleeding the actuating system to keep the seat post working quickly. Luckily I do not lack mechanical aptitude and I followed the instructions but it would only be a temporary solution... I bought the post on eBay so I have no warranty support, I paid less to get less.

After looking into the problem, I have decided to just pitch the Reverb all together. There has been so many documented problems and now that I have formed my own opinion, I no longer have confidence in the product.

I am okay with a little side-to-side play, to a certain degree that seems to be normal.

With how the dropper post market is going we will have some solid alternatives very soon. X-Fusion, Fox and Thomson.

I am personally keen on the zero cable travel idea so I bought a LEV instead. I prefer the cable actuated systems, easier to diagnose and fix. The actuating lever looks well designed, I like the ODI clamp idea... Now that is some S-M-R-T thinking.

Submitted by Brent lemay

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2013

Strengths:    Worked great for first three months

Weaknesses:    It's been nothing but trouble after I rode it for three months...extremely unreliable

Bottom Line:
Had for about a year and a half...worked great for three months and then has been nothing but trouble! I'm giving up and buying a gravity dropper ! I hope I have better luck this time!?

Submitted by Tim Conger a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Strengths:    Works great, very smooth- The infinite adjust-ability makes it perfect for all types of terrain

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I am heavy to (very heavy rider) and am fairly new to XC riding. After buying this and experiencing it on the trails I cannot be happier. It feels very solid and I cant feel any sort of unnecessary seat movement. It does take a little getting used to but once you do you will not regret it. Nothing but 5 chilis for me

Favorite Trail:   Annadel

Duration Product Used:   2 Months

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   2012 FSR Comp

Submitted by Amber finch a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2013

Strengths:    This dropper is super smooth going down and coming back up. It took a couple rides to get the pressure right and now have it at the highest level and it works perfect for my 120 lbs! I love how I can already be going downhill and without bring too distracted drop my seat with a click of the thumb.

Weaknesses:    I haven't really found any yet. The seat could possibly return to the top height a little quicker but it honestly hasn't ruined my day.

Bottom Line:
My husband has the specialized command post and has had a lot of problems with it not holding air and popping up too quickly, thus getting whacked where it is not good for either of us! I have had none of those issues with this dropper. I highl recommend it to any one thinking of getting a dropper. If you want to step up your downhill game it is worth the investment!

Favorite Trail:   Yogi in truckee, ca