RockShox Reverb Dropper Seatpost

2.75/5 (95 Reviews)

When you're ripping through rolling terrain, cranking the pedals one minute and getting off the back of the bike the next, no seat height is "just right".

RockShox Reverb Seatpost Adjustable Pro Review

This infinitely adjustable seatpost is stupendous, with a silky-smooth stroke, and because of its unique hydraulically controlled remote handlebar lever, it has an easy to operate action, and simple installation. I abused the seatpost for four months, on every imaginable terrain possible, and it has been through rain and snow storms, had sand and dirt tossed at it, and has preformed flawlessly, which is helped fabulously by the custom sealing system. Continue reading →

Submitted by Uly a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2016

Strengths:    Fast Action

Weaknesses:    Unreliable

Bottom Line:
A2 version, internal. Came OEM on bike. 5 months in and about 120 hours it blew up. RockShox makes you take it to a certified service shop first for a service before they will warranty it. Wouldn't work with A2 rebuild so shop rebuilt with B1 internals. 2nd ride on it and it blew up again.

Submitted by SlickTyre a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2016

Strengths:    I don't know

Weaknesses:    Durability, installation and Lever

Bottom Line:
It worked only 2 months without going to warranty, installation was bad and the lever interface very poor

Submitted by winsail a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2016

Strengths:    It goes up and down when I push the button

Weaknesses:    Hard to work on

Bottom Line:
Ok my buddy gave me his non-working reverb because he felt sorry for me. I had another brand dropper post that was really
unreliable. I spent about a month on and off tinkering with it. He said it used to work good? I rebuilt the lower part of the post. I replaced the remote hydro button (twice). I replaced the remote hose and barb. I bled it 4 times. I finally found the right combo and it has worked flawlessly for 6 months now. I understand how it works and feel confident it will work for a long time. If it doesn't I'm confident I can fix it and I really have nothing to lose. It was free except the new hose, barb and 2 re-build kits.

Favorite Trail:   Mailboxes and West Ridge

Purchased At:   Friends garage

Similar Products Used:   I have had three previous dropper posts some good some bad

Bike Setup:   Intense Carbine 275 custom build 1 x 11 XT etc. reclaimed reverb

Submitted by mitch a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2016

Strengths:    Pretty good product when it works

Weaknesses:    Totally unreliable and poor customer support

Bottom Line:
I have had this post for 2.5 years and it has failed about six times
If you call RockShox(SRAM) customer service they just tell you that you have to take it to a shop. Shop send it back to SRAM and charges $150 for a rebuild. I figure that I have spent upwards of $600 in repairs on this post
SRAM recommends a service every 60 hours - so if you ride very ofter every couple of months - or less
No help with any upgrade or service
I will never buy a SRAM product again ( this one came on my Santa Cruz Bronson)
If you buy a bike that specs a Reverb - good luck
Don't say you have not been warned - this post sucks

This is my first negative review of any product - and I've been riding for a long time

Favorite Trail:   UC

Duration Product Used:   2.5

Bike Setup:   Bronson

Submitted by Dylan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2016

Strengths:    Looks good.

Weaknesses:    Fails after less than 25 uses. RockShox does not honor warranty.

Bottom Line:
This was my first dropper post - it came on a Santa Cruz Bronson (that I love). The post worked fine for the first 10 rides or so, then began sinking when in the fully extended position. The sinking became more pronounced after every ride until it became unrideable, even compensating by raising the seat. The seals were blown, it wouldn't hold air.
When brought in for warranty, the rep said "The 2 year warranty covers manufactures defects, so if something was broken inside shaft shims ect and does not cover regular service, similar to oil changes in your car vs. you 100,000 km engine warranty."

So I guess the product not working at all is considered normal by Rock Shox. For only $120 they will repair it though.

If you're looking to spend $5/ride on dropper post service cost (plus initial purchase price), then this is the one for you.

Submitted by Earthly2 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2016

Strengths:    Good when it works

Weaknesses:    Weak design prone to failure

Bottom Line:
My system broke down last year midride and I had to Mcguyver it the rest of the ride. Brought it back to my LBS and they repaired it but told me it's a common problem with this system. Now a year later it's failed a second time but luckily it didn't happen mid ride. I'm 160 lbs and not real hard on it so the fact that it's failed a second time in a year I'm off the replace it with a regular seatpost that won't fail at the worst time.
When it works it's an asset but when it fails it can be a tough ride out.

Bike Setup:   Niner RDO

Submitted by Joseph Maillard a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2016

Strengths:    The concept is really awesome. I wouldn't go without anymore. Bought it with my brand new CUBE Stereo HPC 140 (the bike is da BOMB).

Weaknesses:    unreliable engineering. My bike shop said that they don't even sale is anymore. He suggestion the KS Lev or the Specialized command. (I don't like anything specialized, they're too big)

Bottom Line:
Reverb died within10 months of ownership. I ride once a week on average

Favorite Trail:   Bug Springs Trail, Mount Lemmon

Bike Setup:   CUBE Stereo HPC 140 TM

Submitted by SPEE a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2016

Strengths:    New Technology is cool

Weaknesses:    New Technology doesn't always work

Bottom Line:
After my third ride the post wouldn't go back up, I was out on the trail, took the post out and reloaded it with air but it didn't work.

Submitted by David a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2015

Strengths:    Endlessly adjustable, smooth actuation, no issues with post in 2+ years

Weaknesses:    None that I've had. I ride a ton, am heavy at 215 lbs with gear and ride aggressively through technical terrain so the post takes a beating. Haven't had any issues though I clean the shaft prior to each ride and after driving home to make sure the seals aren't being bombarded with bug goo, dirk and road grime from traveling

Bottom Line:
Have had the post for 2 years and haven't had any trouble with the 5" model. Want to upgrade to 6" that KS Lev offers though it sounds like that post has a lot of issues. Decided to see what people were saying about the Reverb in comparison and was surprised to see all the problems. Thought I'd post my experience to add my good experience to the mix. I ride here in Oregon, Washington, Canada and ride x2-x3 a week. Have a Reverb on my downhill bike also and it hasn't had any problems either.

Favorite Trail:   Anything steep and technical

Duration Product Used:   2+ years

Purchased At:   Life Cycle Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz LTC and Santa Cruz Nomad.

Submitted by ndinh a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2015

Strengths:    when it was working which was a few times, it was awesome

Weaknesses:    it died after less than a year

Bottom Line:
I've used this less than 10 times in about 6 months, mostly AM/XC riding, nothing extreme or hard. One day after not having touched my bike for about a month, I pressed the lever and nothing happened. The seatpost stayed in the down position. I tried pressing it again and again and nothing happened. I then pressed it and pulled the saddle softly to help it go up and that's when the post just died. Now it goes up slowly and can be pushed all the way down without touching the lever. Basically, useless. I've never experienced such a bad product and I've been biking for decades. Funny because my cranks bros Joplin is still working after over 5 years, service free.

Similar Products Used:   Joplin

Bike Setup:   Carbine, XTR, Enve AM wheels, Float 36, CCDB inline, no seatpost.

Submitted by David Williams

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2015

Strengths:    Very trick design.
smooth operation when it works

Weaknesses:    After 6 rides blew seals.
No warranty, $150 service charge for labor & new seal kit.

Bottom Line:
For such an expensive part that uses some nicely machined aluminum parts, they sure don't seem to have the seal system engineered right.
Waste of money in my opinion.
Next time it breaks I'm throwing it away.
let me know if you want it.

Submitted by enfig a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2014

Strengths:    reliable , infinite adjustment, easy to use release button , very little play after more than a year of use, less

Weaknesses:    very little play after more than a year of use,

Bottom Line:
After reading so negative reviews about this seatpost, I felt compelled to write my positive experience with it.
I've been using it for more than a year, I use it a lot, it's by far the best upgrade that I've done on my bike, it has completely improve my riding, I've been able to ride sections that I wasn't able to ride before, etc, etc.
During all this time I only had to bleed it once (it was losing height without reason) not cool but a bleeding fix it… and hey, I usually bleed my brakes more frequently than that.
The only very small issue is that after all this use I have noticed a very small amount of lateral play, I don't notice this while riding, only when I grab the bike by the seatpost and rock it. It does not bother me, but I think it's worth mentioning it. I hope this doesn't get worse with time and if it does, I expect it to be fixable with a rebuilt. If it doesn't, then I will update my review.

Favorite Trail:   Case Mountain

Duration Product Used:   +1 year

Similar Products Used:   Fixed seatposts

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem X29'er, Stans Rims, Hope II hubs, RS SID fork, 1x10 XT drivetrain, XT Brakes

Submitted by Chris Victor

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2014

Strengths:    its cool and fluid when it works i have the steath model

Weaknesses:    Ive had it on this bike for maybe 300 miles and its been in the shop most of the time (it's in for repairs right now) same problem leaking, when it goes all the way up it has about 2" of slop in it and the actuator plunger gets soft.

Bottom Line:
save your money, not worth $400.00 + dollars, mine will be for sale when i get it back from the repair shop.

Submitted by Gunnar-man a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2014

Strengths:    When it works, it is great

Weaknesses:    ...and when it doesn't work, it is terrible...Rebuild process is cumbersome and very precise. Unfortunately, you don't know if it is correctly done until you put it all back together and pump it back up. If it is incorrect, begin the process all over again.

The bleed syringes/hoses are useless. Leaking oil out all over the bike while rebleeding the system.

Bottom Line:
Bought the 2012 version at the end of 2011. Made it over a year with nary a problem then the dreaded 20mm sag began. I bought the riduculously over priced and hard to find specialty tools along with a full rebuild kit and set about to fix it. Thanks to the video instructions online, I was able to it relatively easy.
i have jsut completed my seventh rebuild since then, with the last one only making it two weeks before the same damn o-ring blew out again.
I have now stopped buying the Rockshox rebuild kits and sourced a number of o rings from a supplier (since you have to buy all the other o rings that don't fail in their rebuild kts) because if history has taught me anything, I will be doing this process again sooner than I would like.

I had really hoped that the bad reviews i had read prior to buying this were just the complainers and that the people who had no issues just didn't speak up.

My old Gravity Dropper was ugly and not as smooth but was no where near as maintenance intensive. Might have to go back.

Favorite Trail:   All of them