RockShox Reverb Dropper Seatpost

2.84/5 (83 Reviews)

When you're ripping through rolling terrain, cranking the pedals one minute and getting off the back of the bike the next, no seat height is "just right".

RockShox Reverb Seatpost Adjustable Pro Review

This infinitely adjustable seatpost is stupendous, with a silky-smooth stroke, and because of its unique hydraulically controlled remote handlebar lever, it has an easy to operate action, and simple installation. I abused the seatpost for four months, on every imaginable terrain possible, and it has been through rain and snow storms, had sand and dirt tossed at it, and has preformed flawlessly, which is helped fabulously by the custom sealing system. Continue reading →

Submitted by Chris Victor

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2014

Strengths:    its cool and fluid when it works i have the steath model

Weaknesses:    Ive had it on this bike for maybe 300 miles and its been in the shop most of the time (it's in for repairs right now) same problem leaking, when it goes all the way up it has about 2" of slop in it and the actuator plunger gets soft.

Bottom Line:
save your money, not worth $400.00 + dollars, mine will be for sale when i get it back from the repair shop.

Submitted by Gunnar-man a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2014

Strengths:    When it works, it is great

Weaknesses:    ...and when it doesn't work, it is terrible...Rebuild process is cumbersome and very precise. Unfortunately, you don't know if it is correctly done until you put it all back together and pump it back up. If it is incorrect, begin the process all over again.

The bleed syringes/hoses are useless. Leaking oil out all over the bike while rebleeding the system.

Bottom Line:
Bought the 2012 version at the end of 2011. Made it over a year with nary a problem then the dreaded 20mm sag began. I bought the riduculously over priced and hard to find specialty tools along with a full rebuild kit and set about to fix it. Thanks to the video instructions online, I was able to it relatively easy.
i have jsut completed my seventh rebuild since then, with the last one only making it two weeks before the same damn o-ring blew out again.
I have now stopped buying the Rockshox rebuild kits and sourced a number of o rings from a supplier (since you have to buy all the other o rings that don't fail in their rebuild kts) because if history has taught me anything, I will be doing this process again sooner than I would like.

I had really hoped that the bad reviews i had read prior to buying this were just the complainers and that the people who had no issues just didn't speak up.

My old Gravity Dropper was ugly and not as smooth but was no where near as maintenance intensive. Might have to go back.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Duration Product Used:   2.5 years

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Gravity dropper, Joplin, KS 950

Bike Setup:   12 Ibis Mojo HD

Submitted by rpb66 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2014

Strengths:    Great when it works...

Weaknesses:    This is not a cheap part. When I spend this kind of money, I expect quality. What I got instead was a constant headache. This post has been on my bike for 11 months, and has needed servicing three times. SRAM, of course, refuses to honor the warranty. Between this and replacing terrible Avid brakes, I will never buy another SRAM component again. Whenever I feel the urge to buy a SRAM part, I'll just light my money on fire to simulate the experience, then buy a quality part from another company.

Bottom Line:
SRAM makes terrible, overpriced parts, and refuses to stand by them.

Submitted by BE a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2014

Strengths:    great idea, poor execution

Weaknesses:    More time in shop than on trail. Has been rebuilt under warranty 3 times. Service is slow. The longest it has gone without repair is 4 months of occasional riding. Something fails in it, and it won't hold pressure at all.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't mind so much if this were an inexpensive product. But I paid $350 for it in Canada (on sale from $400). I ride in BC, so there are lots of ups & downs, and a dropper post that worked would be great. It will be a while before I buy another RockShox product.

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Remedy 9.7

Submitted by Ashley Ramage a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2014

Strengths:    It worked for a month.

Weaknesses:    Leaking oil, stopped working, poor quality control at Rockshox/Sram, im so sick of their parts being faulty. Ive now had OEM rockshox revelations that leaked oil from new, sram x9 derailleurs that chewed through cables monthly, and now this reverb failing.

Bottom Line:
Avoid! My friends reverb lasted all of a month on his fuel ex 9 as OEM, waited weeks for warranty repair, I really hoped he had a dud but mine went down the same path. 2 other friends with KS levs seem happy and so far no problems, should have got one.

Submitted by Paul A. a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2014

Strengths:    When it works, it's great. I never thought I'd use a dropper post until I purchased a Trek Remedy, which came with the Reverb. Now I think they're a great concept, and I like the clean cable routing of the Reverb post.

Weaknesses:    This post is too problematic to recommend. I'm on my second post. The first post failed after about 20 hours of use. It started developing more and more play, so that when you sat down, it would compress about half an inch. The issue was worsening over time, regardless of how much air was pumped into it. Now on my second post, it too is developing the same issue, and I've only had it for a couple months.

Bottom Line:
This isn't a $100 component. It's a $355 component. I'm not hard on my components, so at this price I really expect a product with more longevity than this. So far, the Stan's sealant in my tires has outlasted two Reverb seatposts. Rockshox has a great concept in the Reverb, so it's disappointing that I can't recommend this product.

Favorite Trail:   Exporation Trail, Running Springs, CA

Purchased At:   Redlands Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 9 29

Submitted by Shredding J a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2014

Strengths:    Very smooth actuation and solid post. Hydraulic push button set-up is clean and precise. Very little side to side play.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable, and too much maintenance to care for.

Bottom Line:
Purchased 2012 Reverb in December of 2012, and the first month during the cold season. The reverb had a very slow retract and would speed up as the day got warmer. Took to my LBS shop and they did a complete rebuilt and that took about two weeks. It did the trick for about 4 months and it wouldn't fully retract to it full extend and came shy about 1/2". After a few depress and retract, the seat would be in full extend. When in full extent in any length of time of about 1/2 hour or so, it would be hard to push the seat down. I would have to literally give a hard push sit motion. I can't describe the body motion. Did a bleed work done with 130 lbs. Still to no avail. Love the idea of the retractable seat post and will look into LEV for my next seat post. A couple of my friends have no issue.
Buyer....to save yourself money and time. GO WITH LEV. I couldn't decide which one to go with and thought the Hydraulic would have overall smoother action. Too much headaches to deal with when I just want to ride to have fun.

Submitted by Bubba Ghanoosh a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2014

Strengths:    Worked well in the shop and for the first 2 - 3 miles.

Weaknesses:    Failed to fully extend before putting on the FIRST 10 miles on the product.

Bottom Line:
This post came OEM on my 2014 Santa Cruz Bronson. Worked great in the shop and in the garage.

Took it out for its FIRST EVER ride. After about 4 miles, noticed up & down play, i.e. when fully extended I was able to push the stanchion(?) down into the post about 1/4 inch.

Before I could get 10 miles in, the up & down play had increased to almost 1 inch!!

Took it to the shop where they bled it about 5 times, to no avail. They had to warrantee it.

Rockshox said it would be a month before the shop would get the new one.

Duration Product Used:   Two Hours Total!!

Similar Products Used:   KS Lev

Submitted by SLC_Specialized a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2013

Strengths:    Works great when it works

Weaknesses:    Quit working after 6 months of light use.

Bottom Line:
Reverb came with my 2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc. Loved it in Moab, St George riding. Mostly ride Park City, where it hardly gets used. After the P2P noticed that the post would collapse about 1-2" just by sitting on it. I stopped by my local shop, where they took it in for a warranty rebuild.

Quote from the shop: "I wish I could tell you this is the exception, but not the rule"... Seriously?

Probably putting this post on e-bay and trying a LEV.

Favorite Trail:   Mid-mountain

Bike Setup:   Tallboy LTc XX1 Enve

Submitted by Dave L a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2013

Strengths:    Fluid action, good range, lever is ok, adjustable speed, looks pretty

Weaknesses:    Lever breaks easily (it works better upside down), the hose attachment to the post can be vulnerable on some bikes, it bleeds fluid and requires servicing far too quickly, the bushings wear out quickly. Dirty rides just kill this thing. Needs the actuator at the seatpost collar.

Bottom Line:
When it's new it works great (except for the cable travelling). It's on the heavy side however, and I prefer having the remote on the bottom of the bar, which only works for me because I'm on a 1x10.

The remote is vulnerable, I already snapped one. The fluid appears to be made of toxic waste (seriously, only work on this outside, and with gloves+eye protection). The internals seem to not seal well - I only get 2-3 months of good riding before it's leaking fluid and needs a service. Same thing for the bushings, they develop play very quickly.

It was definitely a leader when it came out, but it's longevity issues are a killer. Let's hope Thomson/KS have that part figured out.

Favorite Trail:   Meat Grinder, Pemberton

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Dunbar Cycles, BC

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo HD

Submitted by rufio

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2013

Strengths:    Drop and raise your seatpost without touching the QR. SRAM's customer service. Fluid operated so no cable drag. or cable to replace. In my opinion you could use this in all weather because water and grit can't get in there.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I switched my collar clamp out for a Thomson to clean up the look of my bike and make it easier to put the proper torque on the post (per SRAM). I have the Reverb Stealth. I upgraded after my old, regular Reverb gave up the ghost. I am very happy with the product and product support. There are cheaper ones on the market I'm sure as of late, but I feel as though it is pretty competitively priced. I really don't use it a ton; I would miss it if I did not have it, especially on a long ride with a lot of terrain variance. I probably drop it a few times a ride. It does make me more confident when taking on more technical descents. I pick lines I normally would not take because of having a high post on a bike an not wanting to make an adjustment to break up my rhythm. Now I can drop it an continue on the decline without missing a beat. As far a weight goes, it does add a bit of weight compared to a traditional post, but for trail riding I do not really worry about it too much.

On a side note; the head never loosened up. I was initially worried about the post breaking free and spinning inside the cylinder. This never happened in my experience.

Favorite Trail:   The on I'm on.

Purchased At:   Came stock on my bik

Similar Products Used:   The X-Fusion Hilo on a demo GT Force.
Gravity Dropper Turbo on a rental Santa Cruz.
Specialized BlackLite on Specialized Camber Pro demo bike.

Bike Setup:   130mm ft/rr trail bike. Wide bars, meaty tires, one chainring.

Submitted by alex

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2013

Strengths:    The dropping part, which of course is the most important one, works very well. This dropper post provides smooth gliding action with minimal play.

Weaknesses:    The seat clamp is terrible and, over time, has a real chance to weaken and even break off the saddle rails. The top part of the clamp is maybe a bit more than 50% of the bottom part length. This makes no sense. Did RockShox try to save some material here? I am not heavy but move on the saddle a lot. At first I got some squeaky noises. Then after some months saddle #1 snapped right off. The rails broke just at the edge of the clamp. Now, saddle #2, a completely different saddle btw, is starting to make the same alarming noises. I am not over tightening. If anything, I have not tightened this enough as sometimes the saddle moves bit.

Bottom Line:
A great dropper seat post ruined by a flimsy and downright dangerous clamp design.

Submitted by kevin reier a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2013

Strengths:    reliable , easy to use release button , no play

Weaknesses:    have to cut and bleed hose to fit bike . I did it myself 2 times but would pay bike shop to do it for me next time .

Bottom Line:
I have 2 of these posts , 1 is 2 years old with a lot of miles on it , had to be re bled 1 time but otherwise perfect , no rotational play after 2 years of hard use . the other post is 1 year old and has never needed to be re bled . the bleeding is a pain but the hyd. system for a release button/ lever works so good it makes bleeding worth it . the best release lever/button of any post in my opinion (i have not tried fox yet). no rotational play is great after 2 years .

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Similar Products Used:   gravity dropper , maverick speedball , black mamba

Bike Setup:   ibis mojo

Submitted by rorymm

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2013

Strengths:    It works really well when it works.

Weaknesses:    It is always breaking down and has spent more time in a box of broken parts than on the bike.

Bottom Line:
Buyer be warned. It always needs either to be re-bleed or have the 15 faulty o-ring replaced inside at $100 a fix. PS don't count on rockshox to help you out...both of these major issues are considered to be wear and tear related and just part of the regular maintenance and not covered under warranty. For kicks you should look at the Rockshox youtube video of how to replace a leaky o-ring on the reverb and you tell me if that 2 hour brain surgery of a process is regular maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   Big Springs