Precision Cycling Components All Mountain Seat Post Dropper Seatpost

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Seat height adjustment is at your fingertips. When approaching a descent, simply push the handlebar mounted actuation lever while in the seated position and the A.M.P will drop. While seated release the lever and the seat will stay in the dropped position. Depending on how much downward pressure you apply to the seat it will drop to the 1” or full down drop position (3” or 4”). When approaching a climb or flat, raising the seat is as easy as standing up and pressing the actuation lever.

Submitted by Guitarzan415 a Weekend Warrior from Novato, Ca.

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Strengths:    Looks,settings,cable routing

Weaknesses:    quit working...

Bottom Line:
This was my first choice for a adjustable seat post as it was mechanical and I like the fact that the cable is in a fixed position (not at the head) thus would not be moving and posibly kinking or hitting the rear tire. After several months the post developed a internal rattle and side play...one of AMPS claims it would not do. and at the the end of my last ride the post would not go back to the full ¨up¨ position. AMP has been sold to FSA and after e-mails and phone messages I was told they could not sevice it but would send me some parts to try and fix it myself.

Favorite Trail:   the one i´m on

Purchased At:   AMP

Bike Setup:   2010 Turner 5 Spot

Submitted by coil-n-oil a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2010

Strengths:    Quality, performance, seems light enough for the weight weenies, but strong enough to hold up to reasonable abuse.

Bottom Line:
At some point in the future, we're going to look back on rigid seatposts like we do rigid forks. I ride both DH and XC, and I think that has caused me to realize the XC seatpost problem even more than the average XC rider. When you spend all day at Northstar with your seat slammed, and then next week hit an XC trail with your seat all the way up, you realize that a fixed seatpost is a dangerous compromise and results in improper technique. Enter the All Mountain Post! You can use the best technique for both the climbs and decents, no matter how short, and as a result will enjoy your ride much more. This WILL change your riding life, and no, you won't be able to go back to a regular seatpost.

The AMP features small-scale production quality and attention to detail, full serviceability, and a good weight/strength balance. Yeah, it's expensive, but you get what you pay for. I got the 5" drop model in 5"-2" configuration. I recommend the 5" drop since it gets the seat more out of the way when you drop it. As far as your choice between the versions with 1" or 2" intermediate settings, I think the 1" may be more practical. When I use the 2" setting on mine, pedaling efficiency is poor enough that I might as well have the seat all the way down. I think the 1" might give a more useful setting, but can't say for sure because I've only used the 2".

Bike Setup:   Reign X1

Submitted by derby a Cross Country Rider from NorCal

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    Durability, ease of use, high quality machine work.

Bottom Line:
Echo what everyone else said before. This remote drop post was the best upgrade of all I've made for all mountain trail riding. As soon as climbing ends I like to drop 1 inch for quicker seated handling and still able to pedal strong. Lower to 4 inches for unknown drops or speed and air.

Very low maintenance, only needing a four drops of oil every few months to maintain effortless action. Almost no slop, not noticeable at all.

Quick and very helpful customer service and shipping.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   KS, GD, Hite-Rite

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo, Lyrik coil, Pushed Vanilla RC, Easton DH, Ergon GX1's, AMP, WTB Lazer-V, Hadley's, P35's, Sram X.9, 2 ring FSA Afterburner, E13 Turbo, FSA Formula K24's, 8 and 7 Marta SL rotors.

Submitted by jhkvt a Weekend Warrior from Burlington VT

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    Tech/customer support, functionality, multiple set positions.

Bottom Line:
I emailed Dan at Precision Cycling Components with a tech. question and he emailed me back within an hour with a video. When I bought this roughly 3 years ago I had the same experience - near immediate customer service. The post works great, I really like the 1" down position which lets me do extended non-tech climbs with seat way-high, but then I lower it down 1" to scramble over somewhat tricky stuff where I don't want the seat to hit me in the rump (and to climb back on the bike when I'm tired), drop it down the full 4" for downhilling. Very solid, nothing bad to say about it at all.

Favorite Trail:   HTF/Carse

Purchased At:   precisioncyclingcomp

Similar Products Used:   Maverick Speedball (brief try).

Bike Setup:   2008 Trance X1, Crossmax ST, Talas 32, Conti Mtn King UST...

Submitted by dimitrin a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2009

Strengths:    Drops out of the way and pops back up.

Weaknesses:    I'll report back in a few months to let you know!

Bottom Line:
I had been considering an ajustable post, but the high cost put me off. I dislocated my right index finger in two places in an endo during a steep descent because my seat was too far up my a$$ too get behind it. Enni, meannie, miny, moe...and I picked this one. This seat post has made me a better rider. My skeptacle riding buddies have noticed. I can bomb the drops, and pass them on the climbs. Being able to adjust on the fly is great. Dan with Precision Cycling Components returned all my calls and emails to answer questions before and after the purchase. Shipping was QUICK! I really hope it holds up, and will definately post back in a few months about its durability. I will adjust the flamin' hooters accordingly.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking

Purchased At:   Precision Cycling Co

Bike Setup:   03 giant VT1 xt all the way, hayes hyd. disks, rock shock psylo race fork, swinger 4 way rear, mavic crossmax xl wheels, maxxis ignighter, All Mountain Seat Post

Submitted by George Sartor a Downhiller from Northern, CA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2008

Strengths:    Construction and design are top-notch. Very simple, virtually maintenance free. Instant up – no butt bounce.

Weaknesses:    slightly heavier than a regular post, but the advantages outweigh the increase in weight

Bottom Line:
I choose the AMP because I felt the design was the best of the adjustable height seat posts on the market. It operates using a mechanical design so there are no seals to blow and the inner tube is not pierced with a hole which creates a stress riser that can lead to failure. The inner post is also larger in diameter than the gravity dropper which greatly increases lateral rigidity. The other thing I like is the instant up feature of the AMP. No butt bounce required to extend the post from any position to full up, which improves the flow of the ride. Just press the lever and the seat pops up. All positions are easy to locate on the fly. I have been riding an AMP for a little less than a year now and have had zero issues with it. Other than occasionally lubing the inner tube I do no maintenance on it and it works flawless.

Favorite Trail:   3rd divide, Pauley Creek, Butcher Ranch

Purchased At:   Precision Cycling Components

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad

Submitted by Will from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Strengths:    ease of use, well made

Bottom Line:
always thought the adjustable seat posts were too expensive, but got fed up always stopping to adjust, or dealing with climbing sections when my seat post was down because I didn't' want to stop. Best upgrade to date, it is sturdy, well made and simple to use. I got the 1" - 4" version. Been riding in muddy conditions, and the boot works well keep the grime off.

Purchased At:   from manufacturer

Bike Setup:   reign xo

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Abq, NM

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Strengths:    Well made, allows you to have your seat at optimum pedaling height and with the flick of a lever drop it down for tech or descending

Weaknesses:    A little expensive but no more than any of the other adjustable posts

Bottom Line:
I've followed the discussions on these type of posts for quite a while before buying one. I went with the AMP over the dravity dropper because I liked the design better. No holes drilled in the inner post which should make it stronger. The AMP also had a shorter maximum exposed post than the gravity dropper which I needed in order to fit my frame. Use of the post is very easy while riding, simply push the lever and weight the post and you can drop it down 1" or 3" (other drops available). To extend the post just unweight it and push the lever again, it pops right back up.

Bike Setup:   Intense 6.6, Z-1, DHX coil

Suggestions for best all-mountain pedal, handlebar,and seat post

I'm ordering a new 5-spot tomorrow! I'm so excited wooohoWhoooowoooOOOOOHOO I've got to decide on pedals, handlebar/stem, and a seat post. Any recommendations on the best all-mountain pedal/handlebar/&seat post for the value? Thanks!!Read More »