PNW Rainier Dropper Seatpost

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Developed in Seattle and designed for maximum shred, the Rainier dropper post is all about reliable performance and plenty of travel to get that saddle out of the way when you're in the steep, techy sections. And best of all, you'll have plenty of cash left over to take the squad out for beers when you feel bad for roasting them on the trail. Built from light and reliable heat treated alloy, the Rainier dropper post offers 120mm travel for the 30.9mm size and multiple ergonomically designed remote lever options. There is also an 80mm 27.2mm size available.

Submitted by John From Horse Hill a Racer

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2017

Strengths:    Great quality, infinitely adjustable, robust simple design.

Weaknesses:    Could be a little bit faster on the return but nothing I can't deal with

Bottom Line:
This dropper post is a great value and has really stood up to the test of time.
It's worked flawlessly.
I use this dropper 3 to 4 x per week all year and it still functions like new.
Really cool since it's a 27.2 diameter.

Favorite Trail:   Farm Junk at the KT up and down

Duration Product Used:   2+ years

Purchased At:   United States

Similar Products Used:   Thomson and KS

Bike Setup:   TREK Superfly Carbon 29er

Submitted by gigolfer a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2016

Strengths:    -High quality construction
-Ease of install
-No seat wiggle
-Price

Weaknesses:    -Needs a lot of force to lower

Bottom Line:
I bought this post with little to no online reviews. I liked the company's backstory and the post appeared to be a good value at $249, which is what I paid for the 30.9mm 120mm dropper.

I trimmed about 8" off the cable which was super simple, very similar to trimming shift cables to fit it to my sized med frame. The total install including trimming the line and installing the mech lever on my handlebar took less than 30min and I am NOT a bike mechanic.

Unlike some other droppers, this one's seat does not move at all...it's very solid and stable. I've used this dropper in all sorts of conditions, including a recent race where it was very muddy and wet and the dropper worked flawlessly. So far I've logged 150 miles or so and it's working great.

The only criticism I have is that it takes a lot of force to lower the seat. I have to apply a lot of my weight in order to lower the seat so you have to plan your transitions early. I weigh 180lbs geared up and while I'm riding, I have trouble applying enough pressure to lower the seat the full 120mm. I get about 100mm of travel. TBH, I don't miss the extra 20mm of travel yet, so no complaints.

I think this seat is a really good option for all the clydes out there but if you're a light weight rider...under 160lbs, you might really struggle to apply enough force to lower the seat. Unfortunately, there is no air/hydrolic adjustment that the user can make.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead