Maverick Speedball Dropper Seatpost

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

The perfect upgrade for better control in all-terrain riding and specially on steep downhills. The Speedball allows quick and easy lowering or raising of the saddle through three inches of unlimited adjustment by simple use of the top mounted lever. 7000 series aluminium 380mm shaft length Available in 30.9mm and 31.6mm

Submitted by Craig Day a Weekend Warrior from PMB South Africa

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2008

Strengths:    I have been using this for Cross country and downhill and found the post to be very useful and reliable. No remote system but as easy as scratching your nuts to use.

Weaknesses:    Side to side play but you don't feel it when your riding

Bottom Line:
Great idea works well but needs more work. Maybe Crankbrothers edition will be better

Favorite Trail:   Cowan House

Purchased At:   Maverick Cycles SA

Similar Products Used:   Nope

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 2 with DUC32 Maverick fork full XT and Spank wheelset.Easton dh Carbon H-bar and Formula K18 180mm rotors
Green addition Mallet Crankbros pedals

Submitted by Dirk a Racer from PV,CA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    It looks nice (but who cares).

Weaknesses:    Failed after 5th ride. It doesn't drop far enough (only 3") for steeper descents and jumping. Slight seat *swivel* side to side, due to loose tolerences.

Bottom Line:
The vavle quit holding post in extended position after 5th ride. Tried to fix, returned to shop, they tried to fix. Returned to Maverick, they lost it while reparing it and sent me a new one. Selling it. Buying a Gravity Dropper Turbo. Three other friends have had issues with the Speedball, one was a valve like mine, the other was a failure to return to extended, and the last was a breakage of the clamp mechanism (while riding, not crashing). At Downieville last weekend, talked with a bunch of riders with Gravity Droppers, none had problems and a few had first bought and broken peedballs before switching. The only reason I give it a two stars for Overall Rating is for Maverick Customer Service upgrading me to the Speedball R when they sent me the new one after losing my broken one. Don't buy one of these.

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes, PA

Similar Products Used:   Gravity Dropper...but only once on a demo day. It worked as described...though I only rode it for an hour on a simple track.

Bike Setup:   2005 Enduro Pro, Fox 36, Hopes, XO

Submitted by Kevin a Racer from Snowmass Village

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    Quickly removes itself from your crotch when you need it to the most. Need I say more?

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
This product rocks. Takes a little getting use to, but after 4 or 5 rides you swear you will never ride without one again.

Favorite Trail:   Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Maverick Website

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by HogDog a Racer from NorCal

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2007

Strengths:    Looks good (better than Gravity Dropper)....but who cares?

Weaknesses:    Failed on 5th ride. Didn't have enough travel to get the seat low enough for me when dropped down. Seat clamp lame.

Bottom Line:
Chose the Speedball (over the Gravity Dropper) bc it looked far better made (finished), and I had store credit to use towards it. The valve failed on the 5th ride, allowing the seat to slowly sag to the down position. Returned to Maverick, have been waiting for almost 2 months now for the rebuild they have promised. Multiple calls, nothing doing. Poor customer service to say the least. 4 out of 7 riders I know who have one, have returned it for similar failures, some have had good cust srvc, some have not. When adjjusted for my proper climbing height (33" inseam), the post won't drop far enough for manyof the descents and jumps/drops for the downhill...so I ended up adjusting the whole unit down with the seat post clamp anyway....bottom line it should have another 1.5"-2" of travel to really get the seat out of your way for descents. Also, when I buy a Gravity Dropper, I will be ordering the bar mounted control version, since grabbing the under seat lever isn't very smooth....also, when racing and grabing the seat to pick up the bike, clear obsticles, etc...you grab the lever accidently and change the seat positon.

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Demo's a Gravity Dropper, which worked well, but never got a real trail test....

Bike Setup:   2005 Enduro, Fox 36, XO, 321's

Submitted by Rodney a Weekend Warrior from The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to use, looks good, 30.9mm fits Specialized seattube

Weaknesses:    Quite a lot of play, may need bushing replacement someday, another component requiring maintenance one-in-a-while. Seat clamp is not very easy to use

Bottom Line:
Even with small drawbacks, and the big pricetag, it can enhance your riding so much it is worth every penny. You really won't care about the higher weight.

Bike Setup:   Enduro SL

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Northampton

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    Makes riding a variety of terrain a lot easier. I like to ride aggressive cross country trails with some serious rock gardens and drops so this product comes in very handy for those situtations. The increase in control that you have for steep rocky technical sections is amazing and to not have to get off your bike for the next big climb (to raise the seat post) is very convenient.

Weaknesses:    clamp set (which holds the saddle to the post was bent easily and didn't function properly). However, this was fixed by Maverick customer service quickly with no questions asked. The customer service is remarkable!!!

Bottom Line:
Good product, better customer service. This problem with the clamp set has not reoccurred but I've also only ridden it four times since it was fixed, time will tell how it holds up. Would recommend this product to anyone, however, I'm thinking of upgrading to the remote system for even more convenience.

Favorite Trail:   rollercoaster