KS LEV Integra 272 Dropper Seatpost

Submitted by lmcfarlin a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2017

Strengths:    When it worked, I had no problems with. Seemed like a great product.

Weaknesses:    One day, after 3 months of working without issue, it just quit. It wouldn't hold any weight or stay down. It just operated like the lever was constantly pressed in. I took it out and removed the cable tension and it didn't help. I reattached the cable to see if the actuator was working correctly and everything looked fine externally. I was told by the shop I bought it from that KS requires their posts to be sent back in for service every 3 months and it had been 5 months since I bought it. I bought it in early spring when Colorado is still snow-covered, however. I bought it early because I was building up an XC race bike for that summer. I should also note that this was used on one of my 3 bikes and not the one I ride most of the time. In terms of miles, the post saw 338 miles before dying. I replaced this post with a PNW Rainier 27.2 so we'll see how that fares. I have this one sent to KS, despite owning it for 5 months without sending it in for service after 3 so hopefully I'll still be able to make use of this as a backup.

Bottom Line:
This is the shortest-lasting post I've had and the KS expectation of sending it in ever 3 months seems like a steep requirement. That means if you want to use this for a race bike, you'll need two of them to swap between. I've had posts from Rockshox, Fox, PNW and Crankbrothers and none of them had such an aggressive maintenance schedule or broke down so readily.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek

Purchased At:   Worldwide Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Reverb, Fox Transfer, PNW Bachelor, PNW Rainier 27.2, Crankbrothers Highline

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Highball CC 29'er.

Submitted by John From Horse Hill

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2016

Strengths:    Cable Routing

Weaknesses:    Performance, Durability

Bottom Line:
My first KS 272 dropper arrived DOA. All of the oil had leaked out into the box. Dropper #2 functioned for about a month. Even when working well this is not a great dropper. The return is really slow and the seat clamp didn't hold hold the rails securely. As far as durability is concerned this product is awful. After about 4 weeks the post started to stick in the up position. Not a good thing when riding into terrain where you're counting on it to work. The only way to get it to activate was to pop the cap off, disconnect the cable and pull pull on the cable stop very hard several times with pliers. Meanwhile my Thomson dropper I have on another bike keeps working flawlessly. Wish they made a 27.2 that was short enough to fit my Trek. Just bought a PNW dropper that does. The KS will now be used as a seat holder on my ride around town bike.

Favorite Trail:   Farm Junk KT