KindShock Lev Dropper Seatpost

3.19/5 (36 Reviews)

If you haven't tried a dropper seatpost for your gnarly mountain bike rides, you're missing out on an easy way to improve your descending powers. The KS LEV offers the latest in dropper seatpost innovation with the only hydraulically locked and air sprung post to feature zero cable movement and up to six inches of silky smooth travel.

KS LEV Dropper Seatpost Pro Review

The KS LEV is a superb infinitely adjustable hydraulic seatpost, with a plush and silky-smooth stroke and it sports an innovative zero cable movement design. The post has travel options from four to six inches, and uses an ergonomic carbon lever remote. The LEV has performed flawlessly over the four-month test period, and has been trouble-free with the same buttery smooth operation since day one. Continue reading →

Submitted by Bambut

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2014

Strengths:    good looking post, easy to install, not that heavy

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
bought the KS LEV DX post last week and it came in today, installation was pretty straight forward, cables are long enough for you to cut to size. seems to have a little bit of play, when the saddle is in the drop position, as i lift the bike from the seat, post seems to extend by about half to an inch, maybe i need to put more air, only pumped in 200psi, recommend pressure are between 150-250. so far it seems to work just fine(new), will take the bike for a few trail rides, and see.

Submitted by OldClyde a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2014

Strengths:    This post works great, when it works. It started drifting down about a half an inch when I would sit on it after six months of use 50ish rides. I sent it back to KS using the RMA process on the website. I received it back about three weeks later. No more drift, but it seemed to have stiction when returning to the up position. What I noticed is that the "stiction" only happens when the post is mounted in the frame of the bike. Loosening the seat clamp bolt a slight bit eliminated the stiction. Hopefully the issue was just me being ham-fisted and the post it tight enough not to slip, but not so tight as to cause stiction.

Weaknesses:    Short time to first failure.

Bottom Line:
Would I buy this post again? It is hard to say because when it works it is great. I also have a Specialized Blacklite, but did not use it as much because it simply did not work as we'll. Repair was quick, but the only feedback I received was the ship conformation when the post was mailed back to me. If you want any communication with KS you are out of luck.

Favorite Trail:   Stagecoach to Cold Creek to Star Lake

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Blacklite

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy C SRAM XO build.

Submitted by Dennis

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2014

Strengths:    Easy and smooth to use of use

Weaknesses:    The seat post sticks when trying to raise it back up, been that way from the beginning. The cable also broke after 12 rides.

Bottom Line:
I'm disappointed for a product that costs this much, you would think it would be more reliable. It has had sticktion right out of the box from day one. The shop tried to convince me their might be a break in period but the only break in was on my last ride (maybe #12) the cable broke, fortunately the post was up from a two hour climb but. Now the whole thing has been sent back for warranty repair. They should just replace it, so we will see how that works out. I don't mind paying top dollar for equipment and expect it to be top notch and reliable. Several friends have had similar problems. Nough said.

Submitted by Peter a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2014

Strengths:    The LEV is super smooth and can be infinitely adjusted. I also prefer the thumb remote over other dropper posts I have tried. It can drop 150 mm.

Weaknesses:    It failed (started to get squishy) after about 10 rides. I sent it in for warranty service and they did "fix" it, but it started doing the same thing after another dozen rides. The factory service took several months with no response phone calls or emails and I have to say KS has the very worst customer service (Mike) in the industry. I took the post off my bike and it is now sitting in my garage reminding me to never waste money with an overpriced media hyped product again. Last Summer this post was being reviewed as the gold standard in dropper posts, do not believe the hype!

Bottom Line:
This post was a true disappointment. I'm happy to pay for quality, but this post never lived up to the reviews I was reading, and the customer service was a complete hassle.

Favorite Trail:   Joe Ridge - Fruita

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Command post

Bike Setup:   2013 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 29er. Envy cockpit and wheels.

Submitted by John Holloway a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2014

Strengths:    Consistent performance

Weaknesses:    Price, but you get what you pay for and pay for what you get...

Bottom Line:
I'm disappointed to see how low a rating the LEV has because ours have been rock solid reliable, bought shortly after they became available. We have them on all of our bikes. Most of our friends have switched from Reverbs and Kronologs to LEVs. We've had only two minor issues, neither of which caused any downtime:

1) Lost the little cable end cover, but KS sent us new ones (through our LBS) in a matter of days
2) Creaking under load at the seat/post interface, solved with a little piece of teflon shim stock

Our experience has been "set and forget." I only thought about mine because I need to replace the seatpost cable/housing crimped in a crash. The post still works, but not as smoothly as I'm used to.

Purchased At:   CalCoast Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Maverick Speedball, Cane Creek Joplin

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo HD, Intense T275, Canfield Yelli Screamy

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2014

Strengths:    Nice looking

Weaknesses:    Missing part in box

Bottom Line:
Called support for missing part / left. 5 messages for Mike never got a single phone call back ! Keep in mind this is also their warrenty phone line ??????

Submitted by BikeIntelligencer a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2014

Strengths:    ODI compatible thumb-friendly remote. No side play. Barrel adjustment on cable. Smooth suspension.

Weaknesses:    Quality control. Warranty service. ALERT! Newer product may be less reliable than initial offerings.

Bottom Line:
I've owned 3 LEVs and 1 RockShox Reverb dropper posts. Far prefer the LEV for consistency of operation and the ergonomic, convenient thumb remote. First two were bulletproof, performed flawlessly, required no attention. Last July equipped my Mach 429c with my third LEV and it worked fine all summer, stopped working this spring. My LBS showed me the internals, had some guesses, but recommended sending it back. KS has had it for nearly 3 weeks and my LBS can't reach them to find out what's the delay. A great product without commensurate backing. I'm stoked to get their new carbon post but having second thoughts. What a shame they won't treat loyal customers better... Meanwhile my Reverb, which is sticky, slow-responding and unpredictable, nonetheless has held up great over two banger seasons.

Favorite Trail:   TRT

Purchased At:   Downhill Zone, Seatt

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Reverb

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 429c, SRAM XX1, Rise 60 carbon wheels.

Submitted by Makten

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2014

Strengths:    Good looks.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable.

Bottom Line:
I bough two of these for my bikes. Both failed after just a few rides. The lever got completely stuck and thus the post wouldn't move at all.
I sent both for repair. Both failed again, almost instantly. So I sent them for repair once again. Guess what? They both failed again.

These are among the most expensive dropper posts on the market, yet they obviously are NOT even close to reliable. KS don't answer emails and their repair shop (in Spain, I think) have probably not read my description of what was wrong.

Submitted by Willem Reitsma a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2014

Strengths:    I really can't think of any. Never worked properly. Dealer could not get it to work properly and importer tried as well. Works only with very soft and smooth pressure, something you can't do out on the trail. After struggling with it and being very frustrated I have to replace it at my own expense and dump this very expensive piece of equipment

Weaknesses:    Never worked from the start. Only works when you stand next to the bike and very carefully and smoothly push the saddle down. Very complicated design with blatent weak spots that lets it down in action. Sitting on the saddle and requiring fast action doesn't work at all. You have to stand up and remove the weight and then very slowly and smoothly try to coax it down. Useless in action out in the field.

Bottom Line:
Can not recommend this at all. I have wasted USD 400 on this and it will be relegated to my spare parts bin in my garage whilst I search for another. My other bike has a Crank Bros Kronolog dropper post and that is working perfectly. I was told that Crank Bros didn't have a 31.6 model and therefore went for the KS Lev. Regretted the decision.

Favorite Trail:   Van Gaalen

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros Kronolog

Bike Setup:   BMC FS01

Submitted by Richard Mullina a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2014

Strengths:    Worked great for a few rides.

Weaknesses:    After a few rides the post does not return to the top position. I have to lift it up and then when I sit it sags about a inch so I lost some of the seatpost movement and had to raise the post.

Bottom Line:
Loved it for the first few rides. Looking into how to fix now. For the price it should of lasted longer than a month.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Jensen

Submitted by isaac

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2014

Strengths:    The cable routing is the best feature, not cable dangle. Lever action is nice and light and integrates into my grip. Infinite height adjustment is also nice. The part of the post that sits in the frame is shorter than other posts, allowing for a low seat position.

Weaknesses:    After about 4-5 months of use it started to develop bad shaft play, similar to bushing slop you get in a worn out fork. Tried calling and e-mailing KS. I got no response. Eventually sent it in with there online return authorization form. They had it for 2 months. Finally got it back and it still has play. Not only that it won't go up on the initial lever press. I have to pull up on my seat to get it to start moving. Kind of defeats the point of having a dropper post. I tried e-mailing and got no response. Finally got a hold of there tech guy on the phone. His response was that they all do that and that's how they are supposed to work. I told him that it was lame for a post this expensive and that this was not right. He then said he was the head warranty service guy and that's how it was. I have since taken the post part way apart cleaned and put some suspension grease on it and it works a little better but still sticks.

Bottom Line:
Good post when I first got it, but mine is not reliable. The worst thing about the post is KS's customer service. I have worked at a bike shop for the past 5 years and I have to say KS has the very worst customer service in the industry. I can't recommend KS product until they get better customer service.

Submitted by Edward a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2013

Strengths:    Manufacturing and materials.
Size availability.
Market availability.

Weaknesses:    Quality. (I can only speak for the 27.2)
DOA/ never got to use it and had to RMA.
RMA turn around is slow. (waiting for parts.)

Bottom Line:
Bought this LEV 27.2 for Ellsworth Evolution 29'er.
Materials and finish/ packing quality was good.
However, came DOA.
Would not return to top unless I pull it up by hand.
27.2 has no value to adjust the pressure. (RMA is the only option.)
Sent it in 3 weeks ago...still waiting to hear back from KS.
If it works...it would've been a product.

Duration Product Used:   1 day

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Evolutions 29'er
Maintou Tower Pro

Submitted by jiw71 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2013

Strengths:    my patience

Weaknesses:    the post

Bottom Line:
Installed the post yesterday. First thing I noticed was the post lifted on its own when the bike was picked up by the seat. Trail rode today. When fully extended the post collapsed about 3/4". When fully collapsed the post could be easily extended by lifting the seat. Spoke to KS tech guy. He was very familiar with the problem when I described it - something about air in the hydraulics??????? "Send it in - around 2 weeks turnaround". Sooo........ less than 24 hours after installation the post is boxed and ready to send back to KS USA.

Submitted by Spiderman

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2013

Strengths:    The post works well when new, after a couple of months its starts getting sticky and not so smooth going down also the LEV cover fell off while riding. Next time I will try the Rock Shox Reverb Stealth version.

Weaknesses:    Ron Easton of Customer Service sucks worst than the seatpost itself. The LEV cover fell off while riding due to the weak o-ring that holds it in place. To make matters worst the serial number that customer service request for service, is on the part of the post that rubs against the seat tube, so the number eventually comes off now you are screwed cause they wont service it without the serial number.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy, unless you wanna be frustrated and disappointed. Too bad this post would had been the best in the industry, if the customer service were a little better. For a seat post costing almost $400, I expected more support.

Submitted by TahoeBC

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2013

Strengths:    When it works, it's a great post. Cable position, integrated ODI compatible lever

Weaknesses:    Failed after two month's Sagged while sitting on it. Been without the post a month now waiting for parts, terrible customer service.

Bottom Line:
Make sure you have a backup post

KS Lev (Ti) vs KS Lev DX. Differences?

Anyone know the actual real world differences between the two posts? From what I can tell its: 1) Carbon vs Alloy lever 2) Shift cable housing 3) Black coating And that's it. Which turns into 30 grams and the black color. If that really is the difference, and there is nothing internal b ... Read More »

KS Lev ci dropper post

KS has been announcing their 65mm carbon dropper post for the xc crowd for about a year and a half...most recently at Interbike. Anyone actually have one or even seen one in the wild?Read More »

KS Lev Integra minium exposed seatpost length?

I've searched this topic and didn't find my answer, so I am hoping someone here can help. I have a 100mm KS Lev right now and would like to have a 125mm drop, but the 125mm LEV is a little bit too long (about 6mm too long for me) for me to get the seatpost at the correct height for my legs. It lo ... Read More »

KS Lev for SB95c

Anyone running the KS Lev dropper post on their SB95c? I ride a large and I'm trying to decide between the 125mm & the 150mm. I would like the extra inch with the 150, but also wanted to check if it will fit the seat tube. Thx in advance.Read More »