KindShock Lev Dropper Seatpost

3.2/5 (44 Reviews)

If you haven't tried a dropper seatpost for your gnarly mountain bike rides, you're missing out on an easy way to improve your descending powers. The KS LEV offers the latest in dropper seatpost innovation with the only hydraulically locked and air sprung post to feature zero cable movement and up to six inches of silky smooth travel.

KS LEV Dropper Seatpost Pro Review

The KS LEV is a superb infinitely adjustable hydraulic seatpost, with a plush and silky-smooth stroke and it sports an innovative zero cable movement design. The post has travel options from four to six inches, and uses an ergonomic carbon lever remote. The LEV has performed flawlessly over the four-month test period, and has been trouble-free with the same buttery smooth operation since day one. Continue reading →

Submitted by C a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2015

Strengths:    Smooth. Reliable. Very good design with no moving cable housing.

Weaknesses:    None so far. I guess if you twisted my arm to complain about this post, I might say I wouldn't mind a nore adjustible thumb control, like on an angle a bit toward my thumb. But its fine the way it is, I just sometimes miss the button in a pinch-moment have to feel for it sometimes. If I didn't run a second ring up front, I'd have zero issue with the thumb-control as is. I'm limited to how far I can push it down because of the left side front derailuer paddle. I run it on a Knolly, and the cable runs nicely into position in all respects.

Bottom Line:
I can't for the life of me figure out why this post hasn't averaged at least four chili's??? I must have gotten lucky or something. Mine has been flawlessly reliable, smooth, and instantly responsive even in the rain. Granted, I'm not heavy-weight guy. I'm 5'8", and I weigh in at around 160 pounds with a fully loaded Deuter extreme pack with a spine board in it, So a good deal of direct weight is always on the post... and I take really long rides...sometimes 8 or 9 hour rides, and I usually ride no less than 5 or 6 days a week, with an oca The post gets a lot of use, mostly in dry weather, but some drizzly rain too. Don't ride much in the mud though. Thus far, I just take it for granted that the post is doing its job. All I do is clean it and wipe is down with slick lube after each use. I don't run it at high pressure. I just keep it clean. I might wipe it down if I stop to eat on the trail, but not always.

I'd definitely recommend this post to anyone who want a flawless, smooth and silent actuation, with an adequate thumb knob, and yes, a non-moving cable housing.

I read some of the reviews on this post and I just don't get it. Either the company produces inconsistent quality, or I'm just a lucky bast%rd...? I give it a solid 5 and if it lasts another year and if it THEN craps out? Well, I can live with that. Two solid years out of a post like this is acceptable to me. Just have to wait and see.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Wilson-to-Switzer-to grizzly flats loop.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   I forget. I'll try t

Similar Products Used:   Knolly Chilcotin. E-Thirteen TRS-R wheels. Bos Forks

Bike Setup:   Knolly Chilcotin. Bos fork. Cane Creek DBCS. XTR. Straighline stem. Continental Trail Kings. Hope brakes. E-Thirteen wheels.

Submitted by adecola a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2015

Strengths:    Greatest post I ever used when new. Smooth and easy to control.

Weaknesses:    Poorly designed seals easily allowed mud to get into unit. After just a few months, started having trouble.

Bottom Line:
While post still worked, I sent it in to KS for repairs. They sent it back to me in pieces, totally disassembled, saying it was not a warranty issue. I tried to get KS to reassemble the post but they refused and were nasty about it.

Submitted by icecreamjay a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2015

Strengths:    Light, Reliable, I liked the stock lever, but switched to the KS southpaw and like that even better.

Weaknesses:    You have to take apart the seat clamp to add air, not that big of a deal because its not something you do very often. Small amount of side to side play, not noticeable when riding.

Bottom Line:
Ive been using this post for over 3 years now. It was extemely reliable and trouble free for 2.5 years. At that point it started acting up, it wouldn't drop at the beginning of a ride, once I got it "unstuck" it would work fine, then after sitting a day or two it wouldn't work again. Eventually it quit entirely. Took it apart and found the kevlar cable had snapped (it was probably frayed and stretched for a couple of months, thus the on and off working). Ordered a new one and a new wiper seal (since I had it apart) Service was not the easiest job, but it wasn't all that hard either, on par with rebuilding a fork.

Anyway the post is now working like new again. I've ridden it hard for a long time and use it a lot. I now use my dropper post about as often as my shifter. Other than that short period of trouble the post has been very reliable and just plain works. I was surprised at how clean everything was inside when I took it apart. After almost 3 years I expected there to be some dirt or wear and tear but the guts looked almost new.

I have been very satisfied with the ks LEV and I would but another one, except that mine is still going strong.

Favorite Trail:   Diamond Hill, RI

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo HDR, Rock shox Pike, sram xx drivetrain, Hope Brakes

Submitted by tadmcmichael

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2015

Strengths:    Customer service has been addressed. Been very reliable (for a dropper post). Still the lightest. Easy to change a cable vs. the hydraulic Reverb. I like the solid feel when it raises to the top.

Weaknesses:    Wish these were more user serviceable.

Bottom Line:
There have been so many negative reviews about customer service for KS Lev, I thought I would provide my experience. I have had my post for a year with good reliability. It started to develop some play so I emailed KS and asked them what the turn around time would be for warranty service. Chris emailed me back promptly and said it's generally about 72 hours. I was a bit skeptical based on some of the recent experience others have had. They received it Thursday and I received tracking confirmation Friday that it was already headed back to me! It appears that they have heard the complaints and have made customer service a priority again.

If you look at the reviews from and feedback from all of the different threads, the KS is the best there in terms of reliability. It's light, has minimal play, and has a positive feel when it raises to the top. I wish all of the droppers had better reliability, but right now it looks like the KS is as good as it gets.

Submitted by Oscar

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2015

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Not reliable
Expensive

Bottom Line:
Had this post for less than 2 years..., 2 repairs and now they are coming back to me telling me that the post is out of warranty.
Sit was never fixed in place..., Issues with cable, leaks... I would not recommend it. Buy Thompson!

Submitted by RTM

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2015

Strengths:    fixed cable mount, two bolt mount

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
steer clear. the price is 'fair' considering it is in the ballpark of the others. I went with KS over Rockshox due to the fixed cable. thought that was really cool. and I also thought KS made a quality product. little did I know, its complete garbage. the customer support is even worse. after about 6 weeks the seatpost sags when you push down on the seat (without releasing the lever of course). this happens to many, many people. do a quick search for 'KS LEV sag' in the forums and read the pages and pages of guys who are rebuilding their own posts for this exact issue, because KS's customer support is so bad we're left to fend for ourselves. gigantic waste of money. go with a Reverb or Thomson.

Submitted by Ian Noack a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2014

Strengths:    150 mm is amazing. Adjust control cable does not move with seat height movement. I gave my rs Reverb to my wife because the cable movement was so unworkable. Control lever is small and sturdy unlike the Reverb. Control cable is also cable, unlike the Reverb allowing easier detachment for bike working.

Weaknesses:    A little tricky to set up initially, but operationally, zero so far.

Bottom Line:
Unless you are a Xc weight weenie, u will use and love a dropper post. It is as amazing as anyone has ever told you and as necessary as ssuspension or tires.

Duration Product Used:   1500 miles

Similar Products Used:   Es Reverb. Good operation, but bad lever and hydraulic control hose.

Bike Setup:   Top of the line nomad carbon

Submitted by andrew a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2014

Strengths:    stationary attachment at the seat post base, smooth operation when it works, minimal play.

Weaknesses:    Failed 3 times in 1 year. Horrible customer service.

Bottom Line:
Har this post for a bit over one year. sent it in for service after a month of use due to seal failure. 2nd failure (seals again) 10 months in- never sent in the post for repair since no one is there at the company to answer calls. 3 rd failure is now - one year later. seat post clamp bolts came loose while riding and fell off. After numerous attemps to contact KS, I get a call back a week later. Spherical bolts with major loosening issue, company aware and have NO fix. They are back ordered on bolts and nuts with no eta. final thought- stick with a company that backs up its products. no more KS for me.

Similar Products Used:   command post, Gravity dropper, kronolog

Bike Setup:   mach 4 carbon

Submitted by Bambut

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2014

Strengths:    good looking post, easy to install, not that heavy

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
bought the KS LEV DX post last week and it came in today, installation was pretty straight forward, cables are long enough for you to cut to size. seems to have a little bit of play, when the saddle is in the drop position, as i lift the bike from the seat, post seems to extend by about half to an inch, maybe i need to put more air, only pumped in 200psi, recommend pressure are between 150-250. so far it seems to work just fine(new), will take the bike for a few trail rides, and see.

Submitted by OldClyde a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2014

Strengths:    This post works great, when it works. It started drifting down about a half an inch when I would sit on it after six months of use 50ish rides. I sent it back to KS using the RMA process on the website. I received it back about three weeks later. No more drift, but it seemed to have stiction when returning to the up position. What I noticed is that the "stiction" only happens when the post is mounted in the frame of the bike. Loosening the seat clamp bolt a slight bit eliminated the stiction. Hopefully the issue was just me being ham-fisted and the post it tight enough not to slip, but not so tight as to cause stiction.

Weaknesses:    Short time to first failure.

Bottom Line:
Would I buy this post again? It is hard to say because when it works it is great. I also have a Specialized Blacklite, but did not use it as much because it simply did not work as we'll. Repair was quick, but the only feedback I received was the ship conformation when the post was mailed back to me. If you want any communication with KS you are out of luck.

Favorite Trail:   Stagecoach to Cold Creek to Star Lake

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Blacklite

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy C SRAM XO build.

Submitted by Dennis

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2014

Strengths:    Easy and smooth to use of use

Weaknesses:    The seat post sticks when trying to raise it back up, been that way from the beginning. The cable also broke after 12 rides.

Bottom Line:
I'm disappointed for a product that costs this much, you would think it would be more reliable. It has had sticktion right out of the box from day one. The shop tried to convince me their might be a break in period but the only break in was on my last ride (maybe #12) the cable broke, fortunately the post was up from a two hour climb but. Now the whole thing has been sent back for warranty repair. They should just replace it, so we will see how that works out. I don't mind paying top dollar for equipment and expect it to be top notch and reliable. Several friends have had similar problems. Nough said.

Submitted by Peter a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2014

Strengths:    The LEV is super smooth and can be infinitely adjusted. I also prefer the thumb remote over other dropper posts I have tried. It can drop 150 mm.

Weaknesses:    It failed (started to get squishy) after about 10 rides. I sent it in for warranty service and they did "fix" it, but it started doing the same thing after another dozen rides. The factory service took several months with no response phone calls or emails and I have to say KS has the very worst customer service (Mike) in the industry. I took the post off my bike and it is now sitting in my garage reminding me to never waste money with an overpriced media hyped product again. Last Summer this post was being reviewed as the gold standard in dropper posts, do not believe the hype!

Bottom Line:
This post was a true disappointment. I'm happy to pay for quality, but this post never lived up to the reviews I was reading, and the customer service was a complete hassle.

Favorite Trail:   Joe Ridge - Fruita

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Command post

Bike Setup:   2013 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 29er. Envy cockpit and wheels.

Submitted by John Holloway a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2014

Strengths:    Consistent performance

Weaknesses:    Price, but you get what you pay for and pay for what you get...

Bottom Line:
I'm disappointed to see how low a rating the LEV has because ours have been rock solid reliable, bought shortly after they became available. We have them on all of our bikes. Most of our friends have switched from Reverbs and Kronologs to LEVs. We've had only two minor issues, neither of which caused any downtime:

1) Lost the little cable end cover, but KS sent us new ones (through our LBS) in a matter of days
2) Creaking under load at the seat/post interface, solved with a little piece of teflon shim stock

Our experience has been "set and forget." I only thought about mine because I need to replace the seatpost cable/housing crimped in a crash. The post still works, but not as smoothly as I'm used to.

Purchased At:   CalCoast Bicycles