KindShock i7-R Dropper Seatpost

• Adjustable height
  • 7050 Alloy body, cold forged head

Submitted by Richard Jilka

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2012

Strengths:    Looks like it could be a good product if it worked.

Weaknesses:    Installed new on a Kalkhoff urban bike Sept. 2012. Seal failed in two months.
When you call customer service at KS they spend their time trying to find fault with you.
I still have an useless, but nice looking seat post sitting in the garage.

Bottom Line:
Since these units are sealed and cannot be fixed, buy with caution. They are not cheap.

Submitted by VERTIGO2 a Weekend Warrior from Simi Valley, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2011

Strengths:    27.2mm post fits my bike. Infinitely adjustable. No rattle. Easy to install. Looks nice. Great fit and finish.

Weaknesses:    A bit sticky to go down. I reckon it will loosen up a bit when it wears in.

Bottom Line:
Once you have used one of these things, you will not want to be without one. I had a Joplin on my old bike, loved it. This is as close to that as I could find in 27.2mm. Installation was easy. I am a 220 lb fatty-fat, and I have not been able to break it. Worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Joplin. (Liked this one).

Bike Setup:   '05 Cannondale Prophet

Submitted by FXRob a Weekend Warrior from So Cal

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2011

Strengths:    Infinitately adjustable, low profile remote, easy to install/adjust

Weaknesses:    price, when the post is in a lowered position if you lift the bike by the saddle the post will raise w/o pushing the remote

Bottom Line:
I had a gravity dropper initially but I didn't like only having "set" positions. I always felt like I wanted to be at a different height. The remote on the GD was ugly and could easily break in a crash. The KS is so smooth, quiet and it looks 10x better than the GD. I didn't compare the weight between the two but the advantages of the KS makes a little extra weight no big deal. Just hope it is as dependable as the GD is known for.

Favorite Trail:   Chiquito

Purchased At:   The Path

Similar Products Used:   Gravity dropper

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2011

Strengths:    Looks good, 27.2 diameter, easy-as-pie install

Weaknesses:    Heavy, awkward handlebar mount, suspect durability, short (350mm).

Bottom Line:
For those of us with 27.2 diameter seatposts, the pickings are slim if you're shopping for an adjustable model. I stumbled across adjustable seatposts only recently and decided I had to try them out. The i7-R had just come out and I was able to snatch one up at a (relatively) fair price (this things are over-priced for what they are).

Anyhow, install was a breeze and the post is quite nice to look at compared to some other models. The 4" 'travel' is certainly adequate and it was simple enough to operate on the trail. Moving to the weaknesses...

It's heavy. Over 600g if I recall correctly. That's about 1/4lb heavier than the gravity dropper turbo (also 27.2).

It's short. 350mm wasn't long enough for me and defated the purpose of getting an adjustable seatpost. I'm an XC/AM rider and don't often have a need to drop it down very low, but do have a need to raise the seat to my max useable height for climbs. This thing wasn't long enough and that was my main reason for returning it.

The remote/lever. It's pretty, it's simple, it's hard to reach. It's like a button and I had it mounted just left of my right brake lever. I run my shifters/brakes a bit outboard from the grips, so perhaps I should have mounted it just beside my grip. Regardless, riding a new trail I found myself on hairy downhills with no opportunity to move my hand over to lower the post.

Durability. It makes noise, at some points I'm pretty sure it compressed while seated riding over bumps. It was sweating a lot of oil out of the box and accumulating it throughout the ride.

Infinite adjustability. Yeah, this sounds good on paper, but I don't like it. Full up and full down make sense, but it's awkward trying to find a good height in between for the flowy trails that you still want power. I found myself riding with it too low too often.

Price. Can't really fault them as all of the adjustable posts are expensive. Us early (relatively) adopters will of course pave the way for cheaper models. I'm at peace with this and really, in terms of performance, this is 300 well spent.

Bottom line: I'm much happier with my gravity dropper turbo (see review).

Favorite Trail:   Simacs, Naughton

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Gravity Dropper Turbo

Bike Setup:   Rush Carbon 1

Submitted by jake kersey a Weekend Warrior from reno, nv, USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2011

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
They finally made a product that fits 27.2 seat post diameter. All the old problems have been taken care of so this thing is ligit. It's pricey but the best thing I've upgraded on my bike so far. 2 year warranty so I'm excited. It instantly improved my downhill, jaw dropping really, how such a seemingly small detail can have such a major influence. If you got the dough to throw, than I would get one of these babies. Instructions are superb with full picture spreads and step by step on how to maintain the thing.Looks good too, I got plenty of compliments when hitting my local ride spot. Ohh I forgot to mention how much this thing kicks ass on the way up the hills too. No more sacrifice with my seat post height it feels like I gained tons of power and efficiency; reminds me of riding my road bike. Go get one, Now!!

Favorite Trail:   keystone canyon, reno