Gravity Dropper Turbo Dropper Seatpost

4.49/5 (51 Reviews)

Gravity Dropper Original Seatpost w/Remote: Handlebar remote-controlled, height adjustable seatpost drops the seat for descents and returns the seat to the rider's set height for climbing.

Submitted by Bryan

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2013

Strengths:    Relatively light weight. Simple design.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing at right angle to seatpost. Only 3 height positions. Gets out of adjustment. Thumb lever can get sticky. Rubber boot never stays in place.

Bottom Line:
This seatpost does the job, and would recommend it if you got a super deal on it, but I think there are probably better posts out there now. The cable routing is at a right angle to the post, and depending on your frame design, can cause the cable to be exposed and catch on things. The cable then gets bent or frayed where it comes out of the post, causing friction in activation. There is a threaded collar that adjusts so the post will seat into it's positions properly. It loosens up and then the seat won't set in it's positions. Locktite will fix the problem, but since the collar is smooth, it is difficult to re-adjust if necessary once the locktite hardens. It is often tough to know when the seat is in the middle position, and I often have to spend a couple extra seconds fiddling with it to make sure, especially if I'm bouncing around in a technical section. They say that you don't have to nudge the seat with your butt to get it to go up, but I always have to, adding an extra unwanted movement to the process. While not a big deal, the rubber boot never stays in place at the top position. So with all the little problems, I can't highly recommend it, but if you can get one a lot cheaper than the other brands, got for it, it sure beats not having an adjustable post.

Submitted by Doug B a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2013

Strengths:    RELIABLE
User friendly
Low cost
Great customer service

Weaknesses:    Searching for that pin hole- an easy fix

Bottom Line:
Simple design that can be tuned on the trail. Owned 4 of these with not one bit of trouble. Set up, tuning and maintenance all easy.
Only issue is that it is set drop positions and you have to search for the holes with up and down butt moves.
This is fixed by drilling holes where you want the seat and counter sinking all the holes so the positioning pin finds them easily. Thought I try a Crank Brothers Kronolog with infinite positioning and that was a waste of time, money and patience.

Similar Products Used:   Grap Brothers Kronolog- SUCKS,
KS LEV-Great
Still have the Gravity Dropper

Bike Setup:   Black Sheep 29er

Submitted by Charlie

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2013

Strengths:    Highly reliable, no seat wiggle at all, all mechanical so there's no air/fluid to leak, very easy to install, very easy to maintain (not that it needs much maintenance), rubber boot keeps debris off the moving part of the post. Lots of options on Gravity Dropper's purchasing app makes it easy to order what you want.

Weaknesses:    Drops 1" and either 3, 4 or 5 inches (depending on what you order) instead of dropping as far as you push it down like with some other droppers. The plastic base on the remote lever makes me worry, but it hasn't been a problem so I can't say this is much of a weakness. Post dropped a couple times when I didn't want it to. I found a tech tip on the Gravity Dropper website that told me how to stop this. The solution was very simple (twist a dial) and the post hasn't done this since.

Bottom Line:
Dropper seat posts are fantastic. I do mostly cross country but still use the thing all the time. The first time you hit an unexpected downhill and can instantly drop your seat post and then, when you hit an unexpected uphill, you can instantly raise your seat post to the perfect height you'll know what a great idea the dropper is. Yes, it is heavier and more expensive than regular seat post though I didn't notice the extra weight at all.
Reliability is the most important feature. A dropper seat post should move but only when you want it to. Perhaps because it's a mechanical rather than a hydraulic system, the Gravity Dropper is extremely reliable. It does what you want it to and only when you want it to. I've had it a year and ridden in dust and mud without any problems. I opened it up once to re-lube it and the whole process took less than 5 minutes. And I found it didn't need to be re-lubed.
I recommend the Turbo model so you can drop 1 inch plus 3, 4, or 5 inches. No matter what you think now, you will love having the remote lever.

Submitted by richard

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2012

Strengths:    As everyone has said below, it just works, is simple to service and customer service is great
Is lighter than most other posts

Weaknesses:    mainly as others have suggested, being looks and 90 degree output, but a noodle fixed that.
Remote not as good as some others (jolin has a great remote)

Bottom Line:
I have tried KS, Joplin and gravty dropper, but my favourite for real world use is gravity dropper.
My set tips for GD users are:
- get the turbo model, it is better than the classic
- setup on the LH side of the handlebars and get a grip shift or dual control (first gen) left hand lever as that way you can use your thumb more comfortably for controlling the switch
- buy a middleburn cable oiler and install one the cable housing (that way you can lube the cable to keep it switching smoothly)
- at the same time you install a cable oiler consider installing an in line barrel adjuster to perfect cable tension (I have not done this but would consider doing it again)
- if you have a 31.6 or 30.9 siaze frame consider doing a special order to get the right size for your frame, as opposed to using a shim
- choose a multi drop model (eg 1 inch and 4 or 5 inch drop)
- carefully measure your seatpost extension as it exists to ensure you can get away with a big drop

This post is the best is the best long term. Don't bother with the others.

Similar Products Used:   KS, Joplin, Gravity dropper classic

Bike Setup:   Run RH lever upside down on the LHS and use first gen shimano dual control (works well if your LH brake lever is used for rear braking)

Submitted by noamkfir a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Strengths:    Simplicity. No more problems with air of oil leaks. Cable attachment to outer tube is static. good seat head - two bolts. lever has two bolts that can be removed without disassembling the grip.

Weaknesses:    Cable enters to the tube in 90 deg. which is ugly, whether you install it forward or rear facing. post lever is rather uggly. operation is less pleasant than hydraulic posts. can't connect / disconnect the cable from the tube quickly. KS has this feature and it is very usefull.

Bottom Line:
I had joplin 3 for couple of years and then the KS . Now I have turbo multimposition, 100mm.
they can't get near to the turbo simplicity and reliability. Very simple maintenence required which is cleaning it and grease it once in a while.
the other hidraulic posts require constant maintenance at leat once a year and suffers from performance degration.
I removed the ugly boot as soon as I got the post. The lever Could be improved as well.
hydraulic post operation is more pleasant though, but You get used to the turbo quicly and it worth all the pros.
I recommand getting the multiposition version.

Similar Products Used:   joplin 3, KS i 950

Submitted by daniel harvey

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Strengths:    solid, does what it's supposed to

Weaknesses:    spendy, ugly boot, cable stretches

Bottom Line:
Dropper posts have been a game changer for me. Sometimes I think I change post height more than gears. I can't feature riding a MTB without one ever again, except for my SS. I have the 1", the 3 additional inch drop. i use them both. Even when I'm just cruising I use them both to change up the position of my body to avoid fatigue.

Submitted by TrailMeat a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable, easy to maintain, excellent customer support

Weaknesses:    It's ugly, but it works.

Bottom Line:
Dropper posts are an awesome upgrade for your bike. I am not sure why everyone doesn't do it; the benefit far outweighs the extra weight. My turbo has functioned perfectly for 3 years (150-200 rides). The only issue I had was with the Decender/Turbo unit (part # 84 on gd website). I had an older model that was soldered to the post (not riveted like the newer models). It detached from the post this past winter when I was doing some work on it. I emailed support, was told to send it in along with $20 to repair it since it was out of warranty (very reasonable fee IMHO), and the repaired post (they riveted it to the post to repair it) was returned within a few days. I was down for a total of 5 days and since it was the offseason it wasn't an issue. Their customer service is extremely responsive which is something that tends to get overlooked when making decisions on what to buy (I have made the mistake many times). At any rate, solid product and good support.

Submitted by Doc D a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable reputation
Great customer service reputation
27.2 diameter compatible
Works great
It returns extremely quickly, not a negative in my book.
Gravity Dropper matched an online retailers price, hooked me up with free shipping and free engraving, recieved the post a few days after ordering. Doesn't get better than that!

Weaknesses:    Some will say not as attractive as the competition.
It's noisy
The 90 degree cable routing gives some set-ups problems, worked well for me actually.
Takes a little practice to hit your stopping points quickly and consistently. I rode the same trail, a 14 mile loop, about 5 times (not in the same day, but consecutively), so I could practice on familiar ground. Then I hit the tech stuff and it was a revelation, shredtastic. Is that even a negative, all equipment takes time to use effectively.

Bottom Line:
Damn this post is sweet, I'm biased of course, because I spent my money on it. I was limited to what dropper post I could buy due to having a 27.2 diameter seat tube, either way I know I made a great purchase. Gravity Dropper's reputation for reliability and great customer care won me over, compared to the good looks of other posts. I will say though, the look grows on you and the function is exactly inline with my expectations. A better remote would be nice, but again with time you learn to use it without thought. Now after maybe 10 rides, I hit the lever more than I shift. My speed, safety and consistency have almost instantly improved. Every bike should have a dropper post, Gravity Dropper sold me and I'm happy I spent my money on an American made product with excellent reliability and customer service reputation.

Favorite Trail:   Haven't found "the one" yet

Duration Product Used:   1 Month

Purchased At:   Gravity Dropper

Bike Setup:   08' Cannondale Prophet 650B'ed, Pushed, Mendoned, Battered and Bruised

Submitted by inter a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    Simple design, easy maintenance, and works great.

Weaknesses:    Ugly boot and 90 deg cable out without noodle. So i installed noodle myself.

Bottom Line:
If function is more important than look, get this post.
I like it to hv same exact position either up or down. Use it a lot more than front shifter. Built like a tank, very strong. My buddies hv KS, CP, joplin, they all hv problem during ride. My gd had minor issue that was fixed on the trail. I broke the cable once by the 90 deg out, now i put noodle. I never like the ugly boot, so i took it out, and never had problem with dirt, even on muddy trail.

Favorite Trail:   turnbul canyon

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   AM, 140mm, tubeless.

Submitted by mtnmark a All Mountain Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    My favorite dropper. Love that it is mechanical and not air, so it works faster and needs less maintenance. I also really like the 1" down and all the way down features. With an unlimited position post I never felt like the post was in the right place. The 1" is perfect for roll-y and swoopy descents where you are doing some pedaling, and of course the total drop works for anything steeper. Super easy maintenance.

Weaknesses:    I would have said looks when I first got it, but now I think it is the best looking seat post out there. It just looks badass, functional and manly, like "I don't care how I look, I'll let my riding do the talking". There are a couple of things I would change, but they are pretty minor. The cable routing can be a bit of a pain and get bent, but you get used to be gentle on it. The weird small sized hex keys needed, wish it was more standard (like 4mm for everything). The handlebar mount seems a little flimsy, but I have never had a problem with it.

Bottom Line:
My favorite dropper, and the best of what's out there. Mechanical, not air for speed and easy maintenance and the 3 position heights make it better than the reverb, joplin etc. Wonder how the fox one will compare....

Favorite Trail:   Lots

Purchased At:   Gravity Dropper

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers Joplin, Reverb.

Bike Setup:   Blur LT, XT 2x10, Fox 32 150, RP23, meaty tires.

Submitted by freebrd85 a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, Ca

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2011

Strengths:    Simple easy to install and use, lots of sizes to choose from, and a lot of choices on the drop length and an option for multiple drop leghts

Weaknesses:    not the best looking adjustable seat post, not always reliable

Bottom Line:
A pretty good component. I never thought of buying this component for my bike, but I got tired of constantly adjusting my seat post when I come into steep descents and technical areas. Reliability is an issue though. sometimes it just would not stick all the way down nor will it come up right away when you hit the trigger, sometimes I have to sit down and push the trigger to initiate when I want the seat to go up. If I have to keep on doing this I might as well have just bought the classic. Also, the seat sometimes goes up by itself even though I did not want it too, this usually happens when the technical area is really bumpy and steep. Yet, with all of its flaws I still consider it one of my favorite components just for the fact that I can just keep on riding. I like to max out my pedaling efficiency by keeping my post high on flats and up hill but I like to keep my post low on descents and technical areas, so if you are like me, buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to say

Purchased At:   GD

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Wahoo

Submitted by Footer a Weekend Warrior from LA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2011

Strengths:    Ease of use. I was concerned initially that it might be awkward and was pleasantly surprised. Couldn't be easier. I've got my lever mounted inside my brakes and facing inside the handlebars (it's a right-hand lever mounted on the left) so I can hit it with my thumb. It's easy to trigger, works quickly and is easy to adjust between settings. I bought a 4" with 2" midpoint setting.

Weaknesses:    Tightness of saddle mount. It's not as easy to adjust your saddle for position or tilt as a standard post. The saddle mount loosened initially while driving to the trail. Once I tightened it a second time it has remained tight with no problems and rode 20+ miles.

Bottom Line:
Very, very happy with this. Easy to use and extremely useful on the trail. You're not necessarily going to adjust every minute or so, but if you're transitioning on long runs you'll appreciate it.

Purchase - the options for setup are great - you'll get your post exactly how you want it (size, drop, etc.) but it can be confusing so I called GD. Great customer service - he walked me through the options best for me and when I wavered on the drop height he suggested that I really can't go wrong because the piece to change from a 4" to a 5" drop is just a $30 part.

I mounted the cable in the rear position - no problems - didn't snag on anything nor did it hang up during wrecks.

4 chilis for value - expensive but probably worth it in the long run. Can't speak to longevity yet.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn - Birmingham, AL

Purchased At:   GravityDropper

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC Comp and Specialized Phenom saddle

Submitted by firevsh2o a Weekend Warrior from Graz, Austria

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2011

Strengths:    reliable, nicely fabricated, cable on the lower tube, only 5" dropper post for 30mm seat tubes!,

Weaknesses:    sometimes a creaking sound comes from the saddle/post interface, cable should be angled down,

Bottom Line:
I have the 5" multiposition version of the post. Multiposition means you can drop the post 1 or 5 inches down. With its very rare diameter of 30,0mm (not on the website - but available!) it fits my old Dirtbag (and it would fit old Konas, Bionicons, ...). It was really the only solution to get a dropper post on my frame.

Play is there but I don't feel it and even more important I don't hear it!

It works flawless to date and makes a well made impression. The workmanship is not too far off from a Thomson seatpost, only the clamp is simpler in design and the "condom" is not to everybodys tastes, but I like it!

I only wish I had purchased the version with the cable exit on the rear. I will change that with a longer hose. Should be no problem.

For the future I hope for a 6" drop version in 30,9 and 31,6mm! This would be the right length for my 6'2" body. 5" is not enough in the steepest situations especially when I try new steep trails.

When you like a reliable - mechanic - product and 5" of drop is enough for you, then look no further and by a gravity dropper!

Favorite Trail:   Plabutsch

Purchased At:   Gravity Dropper dire

Bike Setup:   Transition Dirtbag 2007

Submitted by targetdrone a Weekend Warrior from Boulder City, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    Usefullness, reliability.

Weaknesses:    Weight, adjustability.

Bottom Line:
There are two questions I ask someone about a product:
1.) If you could change one thing about it, what would it be?
I would make it able to adjust to an intermediate position. (I am going to take it apart and drill a hole about an 1-1/4" down from the top hole on the inner post.)

2.) If it were stolen/lost/broke would you buy another?
Absolutely. I have been reading the reviews of other adjustable seatposts, and the problems that most people seem to be having are scaring me away from those (except KindShok - and I've never seen on of them).

I am 6ft 220 lbs and have no real problems with mine. I did have to adjust the bottom screw once when it briefly stopped locking in place. I think it was my fault after taking it apart to see how it worked. Others have claimed to have broken post on these. I trust mine completely. I once got a jump rather wrong and came down hard enough to break my seat and bend a seat rail. The GD didn't budge. I give them props for an awesome product.

This product is for people who ride up and down hills, who can afford to spend money on something that isn't absolutely necessary (but is worth it for those who can), and aren't worried about the weight penalty.

Favorite Trail:   P.O.W.

Purchased At:   All Mountain Cylery

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Elite, FoxRP23, Spynergy disc wheels, Juicy7 185mm, Psylo SL fork

Submitted by Don Mason a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    It works. Really easy to set up and service.

Weaknesses:    I have the 5 position Turbo. Great product but I would get a 3 or 4 position if I were to do it again. Hard to search for mid-point holes on the fly.

Bottom Line:
I bought the Turbo from GD after talking to them directly. They answer the phone quickly and are very helpful. Same for service questions. The website has all the info and videos you need keep the post working smoothly, although it doesn't need much maintenance. I rode 2 days a week all winter, wallowing through the mud in one of the wettest winters on record in the NW, and the post came through in great shape.

Favorite Trail:   Tokul East & West, Galbraith

Purchased At:   From GD

Bike Setup:   Stock Ibus Mojo

GD Turbo LP vs KS Supernatural 27.2

I know there are tons of info and threads on droppers, but I am still confused on what to get. I have narrowed it down to two that I am considering. I have an older bike with a 27.2mm seatpost tube. The tube is really short, so the longest I can get is 350mm. I am stuck with very slim picking ... Read More »

Specialized Turbo.. woooo

Man is this a fun bike as I rode it home from work and it cut my comutte home in half.. this bike is way fun..Read More »

Gravity Dropper Turbo LP - Which Remote?

I want to mount the remote on the left side under the handlebars as I do not have a front shifter with my 1x10 setup. Which remote (left or right) would work best?Read More »

Gravity Dropper Turbo LP

Hey everyone, Been eyeing one of these babies. Its just an updated version of the Turbo thats a little stronger. They are offered in a multi-position 125mm drop with 30.0 and larger posts. Here is where the question lies. You can get them with an initial 1" drop or 2.5" drop and was wonderi ... Read More »

GD Turbo without the boot, not bad at all.

I know most people say GD is ugly, but it just works. I agree about the look, it is the boot thats ugly. I hv been running my GD without the boot for 2 years, no problem. I did rode during rain / mud a few times, the dirt could not stop GD from working. Just clean afterwards. Luckily not many rai ... Read More »