Gravity Dropper Adjustable Dropper Seatpost

• Raise and lower your seat 3" on the fly

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by David a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2014

Strengths:    Simple and dependable.

Weaknesses:    Because it lasts so long (mine is 12 years old) you will need to do maintenance. Lever it a bit harsh.

Bottom Line:
    I've have my original seatpost for just over 12 years. It works great and over time I've learned to take it apart and overhaul it. Last month I learned the manufacturer offered a factory overhaul service for a very low price, Just got my post back and looks like I'm good for another 12 years. Thanks

Favorite Trail:   Extra Sauce

Duration Product Used:   12 years

Submitted by ryan1584 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2013

Strengths:    Inexpensive. Gets you a dropper post for under $200.

Weaknesses:    Mine broke on the 5th ride. Sent back to cambriabike for warranty. Six months later I have a brand new dropper (going to sell it). In the meantime, I found a Rockshox Reverb on sale for $300 at Pricepoint. The extra $100 went a long way. By comparison, the Gravity's only got two positions, up and down. Reverb has infinite. Reverb makes the bike look better, Gravity looks pretty wack with the ugly boot. Controls on Gravity big, clunky and hard to adjust (feels cheap). Reverb is low profile and hydraulic - buttery smooth.

Bottom Line:
    If I were you I'd save up and spring for the Reverb over the Gravity. Fox DOSS better but only has 3 positions and a huge controller on the handlebar.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead Regional Park

Duration Product Used:   5 rides

Purchased At:   cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Reverb, Fox DOSS

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight 29ner

Submitted by JBro a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2013

Strengths:    Simplicity, light weight, ease of maintenance, American made, excellent customer service, customizable. Before I bought it I thought that the lack of infinite adjustability would be a weakness, but the pre-set drops of 1" & 4" seem dead on.

Weaknesses:    Getting the threaded collar at the top of the outer tube set correctly takes some time. Once you get it dialed in, forget about it. Ended up putting some Teflon tape over the threads to keep it in place.

The boot is ugly, but I contacted GD and they said you can go without it. Just need to service it more often. I've embraced the boot, actually looks kinda burly.

Bottom Line:
    Solid post! Got this from Price Point who incorrectly described it as "multi." It was only the two position post, up & down. I sent an email to GD asking what parts I needed to make this bad boy a multi. They got back to me the same day and the part was $30. It only took about 10 minutes to install it.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Point & H2o Dog, Belmont, CA

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Ciclon. Rockshox U- Turn 150mm fork, XT, DT Swiss, Easton Havoc, King headset...

Submitted by ABQ Clydesdale

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2013

Strengths:    very durable
    performs as advertised
    increases confidence on technical descents

Weaknesses:    only 2 positions - up or down
    occasional issues with remote not activating post

Bottom Line:
    I've had this post for over 2 years now, and I'm a big guy (6' 4" and 220 lbs. without gear). The Gravity Dropper has been bomb proof. It continues to perform as advertised, and I have had no complaints or issues. It goes up and down, when it's supposed to do so.

My only complaints are small and nit picky. Occasionally when I press the remote lever, it does not engage the mechanism. This happens rarely, and if I push it again, I can get it to work. The other nit is that the post has only 2 positions, up or down. But I knew this when I purchased it. I'm not sure I would really use in between positions with a multi position or infinitely adjustable post anyway.

The point I can't overemphasize enough is how durable my Gravity Dropper has been. It's been through many miles and wrecks that have bent seat rails, and it still looks, feels and performs like new. If you're looking for an adjustable seat post that will stand up to very hard use sometimes bordering on abuse, this is the one to get.

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2013

Strengths:    sturdy, well made, good customer service

Weaknesses:    remote lever awkward and hard to operate, fiddly operation

Bottom Line:
    This is a beefy well made seatpost that would probably take a lot of punishment. It might be a good choice for a downhiller, especially a burly guy with big strong hands. However, I'm a small person with small hands and the awkward, stiff lever was way too hard to operate. I'm a cross country rider on trails with lots of short, steep ups and downs so the ability to rapidly and effortlessly move the post up and down is essential. The difficult lever and fiddly operation made it not a good choice for me. I got a Kindshock Lev, which is a breeze to operate and could not be happier with it.

Favorite Trail:   desert riding

Duration Product Used:   about three months

Similar Products Used:   Kindshock Lev

Bike Setup:   two cross country trail bikes

Submitted by n2b8tor

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2013

Strengths:    Reliability, simple mechanics, you can service it yourself.

Weaknesses:    need shim for my 30.9
    heavy
    price (but all adjustable post are expensive)

Bottom Line:
    I loved this post so much that I have it for all my bikes. does what is intended to do without any problems, very simple design so you will have few problems. there is no air/hydrolic to worry about. it has never failed my yet. you can get a different interpost and change the travel, I have the 2" drop then down to 4" drop. I ride mostly XC so I only use the 2" drop, sometimes it's hard to find it but it takes time for your butt to learn to depress 2". Going all the way down to 4" is easy. The only annoying thing is that you have to initiate the magnetic release by coordinating it with you butt and thumb. once disengaged you can adjust the height by sitting down the the level you desire. Another thing that I have notice is that my butt is more sore than when I have ridden with a nonadjustable post, I think these ajustable seat post are very solid, because of the build and I don't know if that translate to more of a harsher ride? anyone else have this issue? Anyways I think adjustable seatpost has made riding easier and safer.

Submitted by zorg

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2012

Strengths:    Simple, reliable, great customer service.

Weaknesses:    The lever is a bit hard to press (especially after pressing it many times during a long ride when your thumb gets tired) and the seat clamp tends to let the saddle slip backward.

Bottom Line:
    I've had mine for 6 or 7 years. I changed it for another adjustable seatpost while on another bike, and I went back to the GD once I got a bike that required a straight seatpost. It's never failed me. The maintenance is easy and if you're too lazy to do it yourself, you can always send it to GD (quick turnaround and not expensive). After years of riding it with 3" drop, I finally upgraded it to 1 and 4" drop. The best part: it only cost $35 to buy the part to swap. The weight penalty is worth it for the extra fun and flow during your ride. It's not too expensive (compared to $500 Fox adjustable post...), and the reliability and customer service are tough to beat.

This is by far the best $250 I've ever spent on my bike.

Submitted by Tennessee Steve

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable, Easy to use. 4 years of use and it still works like new. Actually gets better with use. But like any seat dropper you have a learning curve on using it without even thinking. Took me about a year but now I use mine without even thinking.

Weaknesses:    Not many. Nothing is perfect so I would have to say price.

Bottom Line:
    I have been using my Gravity Dropper for 4 years and i bought it used. So it has so miles on it. It took me a year (30 rides) before I could get the real bennys from it. I have a trail behind my house with 36 jumps so a dropper comes in handy. I have seen others but have no interest in trying another. This one works.

Submitted by stephen

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2012

Strengths:    Simple design. Durable. No air/fluid to create failures. 4" drop seems like the perfect amount. Easy to fix. easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    The thumb button takes some getting used to (especially with the tap-to-raise classic model). Now it's 2nd nature and quick. The aluminum glue that holds to cable/button mechanism to the post failed after about 2 years. Send it back and it was repaired with a more durable part for free--less than a week round trip. Very happy with customer service, and even after the glue failed, I just used a zip tie to hold it in place and rode it like that for 6 months.

Bottom Line:
    One of my favorite components for my mountain bike ever. It's now hard to ride without one! I love watching my friends with the specialized/crank bros/others constantly fighting to get their's to work at the trailhead :)

Submitted by foes2313 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2012

Strengths:    I've had a Gravity dropper classic for the past five years, not a single problem at all. I once replaced the plastic shim that took me 15 minutes at a cost $15 for a new shim with shipping. No special tools needed to replace the shim. This design is fool proof and just works.

Weaknesses:    Ugly rubber boot, a friend of mine snapped the saddle bolt because he over tightened it

Bottom Line:
    If you want a dropper that will give you years of trouble free performance this is it. Don't get the turbo version, the cable routing that comes out of the seatpost at 90 deg angle is ugly and can snag a tree branch. Get the classic version!! Also infinite adjustment offered on other brands is NOT necessary and can actually make finding the optimum ride height difficult. Gravity dropper has three ride heights. I use the fully extended one for fireroad and prolong climbing, the 1" drop mode for fast changing terrains and twisty singletracks and the 3" drop position for gnarly downhills. Three positions are all you need, no infinite adjustment needed.

Submitted by cybern a All Mountain Rider from Italy

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2012

Strengths:    easy to maintain, no air no oil, just a coil !

Weaknesses:    cable routing 90° to seatpost

Bottom Line:
    I own two 30.9 5" and a 27.2 4" turbo multiposition.

the first was the 27.2, installed with cable "looking forward" and it snapped while riding, with my full weight on it after something like 18 months of usage.

after this issue I purchased the broken part and rotated the seapost on frame 180° : now the cable looks backwards, and the holes in the "piston" part of the dropper are to be compressed and no more stretched (that I argue was the cause of the failure, since the dropper snapped in correspondance of the lowest hole).

No more issues at all !

Only 4 chilis overal since it's still too expensive !

Favorite Trail:   Breccanecca

Purchased At:   gravity dropper shop

Similar Products Used:   crank brothers joplin

Submitted by pieroglif a Weekend Warrior from Poland

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Strengths:    Build quality, simplicity, ease of setup, customer support

Bottom Line:
    I won't be original saying this is the best upgrade I made to my bike so far. It changes just about everything on the trail, letting you go for miles without leaving your seat. It cannot be overestimated by someone that tracks their outdoor workout data, since the ride is so smooth now! I suggest buying this post to anyone serious about biking, but I'm warning you - adjustable seat is a one way street, no going back!

Favorite Trail:   Local trails

Purchased At:   Pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   none, this is my first adjustable post

Bike Setup:   Custom 2009 Enduro

Submitted by cruzean a Weekend Warrior from Nor cal

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2011

Strengths:    Simple, dependable, servicable. Mechanical posts wont leave you stuck on the trail with your seat dropped. It is easy to add more positions to this post. Just stop by any welder/machine shop and they can drill another hole. Mine is a 4 position (up, down, 1 inch down and 2.5 inches down). It clicks into each setting in a positive way. Better than the Command post.

Weaknesses:    Wish it had a setback head on it.

Bottom Line:
    I had this on my bike for 6 months and really liked it, especially after I added the 1 inch and 2 inch down position. I currently have the Command post (because of the set back) and do not like how it goes past the 1 inch down setting, the lever has a lot of throw and is not real consistent. I did like the KS I900 as you can put it where you want but I find the hydraulic posts to feel a bit spongy and I was always nervous about it loosing pressure while on an Epic. I was also constantly fiddling with the height. I feel with the Mechanical posts you can always just lock it in the up position if need be. If you need a setback post like I do then either the KS I900, the Command post or the new Giant are your options. Otherwise, I would get one of the Gravity droppers for dependability. This is the only post I have not had any problems with.

Favorite Trail:   changes daily

Similar Products Used:   KS I 900(my favorite), Command post (currently), Reverb

Bike Setup:   Niner WFO

Submitted by docalex a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2011

Strengths:    Great in theory, awesome the first month when it worked...but never really worked well. Snags, catches, releases prematurely at critical times, almost dangerous.

Weaknesses:    Broke within 30 days. Closed black box design very difficult to self service. Impossible to clean. Cable system is poor design and breaks and frays and cuts rider.

Bottom Line:
    Great in theory but junk product.

Favorite Trail:   Moab, Mammoth, Telluride