Giant Contact Switch Dropper Seatpost

3.92/5 (12 Reviews)

Master the trickiest terrain with Giant's lightweight, durable and easy to operate Contact Switch remote seatpost. Designed with 100mm of vertical adjustability and limitless positioning plus a smooth spring/oil bath cartridge and anti-twist technology to secure your saddle.

Submitted by jim begely

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2013

Strengths:    It does what it was designed to do lowers and raises at a flip of a switch.

Weaknesses:    Top head is being replaced after 6 months of use. Seat would rotate down if you hit the saddle hard on a bump. Giant is replacing, but when your out on a drive the last thing you need is the horn of your saddle proding you in the bum....

Bottom Line:
It came with the bike and I love it.

Submitted by Kerry

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2013

Strengths:    Price, functions well, looks good in all black.

Weaknesses:    None yet. I've had this for only 3 months.

Bottom Line:
I was in need of a new post but couldn't justify the 350-450 for one of the more popular posts. But, Cyclepath sells Giant and the guys said it had been one of the more reliable posts they sell so at way less money than the other posts, I figure it was worth a go. I have the second generation post that can be mounted stealth or not which makes for great options.so far the post has done exactly what I had hoped it would do and is holding up well. Super happy with this post.

Submitted by Racerbill

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Strengths:    This post was inexpensive very reliable and easy to install. I owned a couple of other brands and they've left me out on the trail with a sinking seat or a stuck seat, but not this one.

Weaknesses:    The cable is a little fussy and it required occasional tweaking over the three years I owned it.

Bottom Line:
Because of my clumsy riding style I broke the seat mount on my three-year-old post and just bought a brand-new version of this post. I put off buying a dropper post for years because of the weight, now that I've owned a few I will not ride without them I actually own a backup post.

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2013

Strengths:    Came for free on the bike.....

Weaknesses:    I have had two of these posts, the first one stopped working about 3 months in to ownership and would no longer lock, would compress when I sat down on it and pogo up and down...... fun!

The cable routing faces up at both ends (This item was standard on my '12 Trance X0) so as soon as you ride in the rain or wash your bike the cable seizes and the lever can no longer actuate the seat release.

After replacing the seized cable once and approximately 3 rides later the cable being seized again, I assumed the wet weather had rusted the new cable, however when I went to replace the cable I found that the locking lever inside the post had become jammed and the post no longer operated.

Bottom Line:
The concept of the post is a fantastic one and I think it's one thing that has improved my riding the most in the last 10 or so years.
The execution of the Giant post leaves a little to be desired, after having two fail and the first one replaced under warranty I'm waiting to see if Giant are prepared to replace this one too. If not I'll be looking for a different brand.

Bottom line: From now on I will always have a dropper post, If I have to pay for it with my own folding stuff it would not be a Giant one.

Favorite Trail:   Sydney

Duration Product Used:   2 years (1 Year)

Bike Setup:   2012 Giant X0

Submitted by lew242 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2013

Strengths:    Infinite adjustment, nice switch, fair price

Weaknesses:    Side to side play (11 o'clock to 1 o'clock as you look down from above at the bike), 4 inch rise, cable attaches to top, fussy cable routing, sanction needs list of cleaning and lube.

Bottom Line:
This is a good dropper post, not perfect but not too bad either. With the 100mm rise it is certainly less than the competition, but I've never had a problem with this amount of rise riding trails. I've given the post 3 months abuse with no problem, however I have deliberately not abused the post too far to save from killing it, if you think about the work it has to do. I think I could kill it by doing wheelies and sat down stoppies, this however is likely the case with any dropper post.

If we limit dropper posts to trail/AM/Enduro bikes, don't over abuse them, maintain them regularly and be prepared to replace them every 2 years for most trail riders on most kinds of terrain they are worth the weight and bike clutter, especially if the price can be kept low. Weirdly the best thing about a dropper post is being able to have it fully extended on the flat and uphill and be able to pedal at 100% rather than the typical compromise medium height many people run for convenience when they have a regular post.

Favorite Trail:   Various

Bike Setup:   Trail, AM, FR

Submitted by Old ROMPer a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2013

Strengths:    Great lever
Infinite adjustment
Not too fast rise

Weaknesses:    Keeping the seat post angle requires perfect torque on the seat bolt.
Slight side to side wobble (not noticed during riding

Bottom Line:

I have had these on two different bikes now and really like them
I have had my seat angle change during riding on several occasions. The seat bolt must be very tight. Multiple times it was torqued by a bike shop and had a mishap on the trail (I am a 190# rider)

I have not tried the Fox but liked it better than the Reverb and Specialized that I tried.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes- Because it's close

Duration Product Used:   1 year plus

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 26"
Giant Trance 29"

Submitted by Rob a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    Works great, very reliable, easy to change cable, speed, adjustability

Bottom Line:
i just love this seat post, can't imagine my bike without it.

Submitted by big 6"

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2012

Strengths:    weight
cost

Weaknesses:    travel is less than others
access to shorten cable is a pain but do able

Bottom Line:
We have one of these on my wifes bike, she has been using it for four months with no issues. I have had one on my bike for about a month and a friend of mine has one also. So far no issues.

Submitted by Shamrock

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    was good for about a month before it stuffed up

Weaknesses:    unreliable - cable seized in a month or so - internal locking mechanism broken in two months - not ususer servicable - once it is broken needs to be replaced.
also very heavy

Bottom Line:
peice of heavy junk - first cable is really cheap and ceased - replaced that after around 2 months on a new bike - now the seat will not lock into position - the locking mechanism is broken and just bounces up and down like a pogo stick - - that is when you sit on it it totally collapses - when you are in the middle of the bush ruins your entire ride - liked it at first but just not reliable also it is heavy - i will get it fixed under warrenty but good idea that has not been excuted properly.

Submitted by RobinGB a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    none at this price point

Bottom Line:
I love this post, its changed the way i ride. I feel being on a hard tail isnt slowing me down anymore, im riding all the structures i come across with ease. A 5" adjustable would be great, but 4" is more then enough (ok i laughed when i wrote that too).

It has a very slight 1/8" or less play but i cant feel it while riding, i cant call it a weakness but i can see how some people would complain. I have been warned that the cable can rust up and get stiff but being that its just a shifter cable i will just change it every 4-6 months and not worry about it.

Favorite Trail:   crafty butcher

Purchased At:   Mountain City cycle

Bike Setup:   giant xtc 29er 2,

Submitted by rookstok a All Mountain Rider from san jose, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2012

Strengths:    easy to install. easy to use. very smooth and quick adjustments.

Weaknesses:    holds seats with 7mm rails only. i have a seat with a little thicker titanium rail and it didnt fit so i had to use my old seat. to be completely perfect i would like it to move 5 inches instead of four. but when i switch between up hill and down hill i like my seat very high and very low.

Bottom Line:
this thing completely changed the way i ride trails. my bike has a lot of peddle bob when i stand up. normaly a short uphill in the middle of a downhill stretch would suck up all my energy and momentum but now that i just hit a button and have a seat i can keep charging. i cant imagine riding without it. above i said that i wished it moved more but it is enough.

Favorite Trail:   ECDM

Purchased At:   hutches in klamath f

Bike Setup:   Giant reign

Submitted by Dirt Rider a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2011

Strengths:    Giant brand. Infinite height adjustment. Smooth motion down and up. Simple one screw saddle installation and adjustment. Less than 5 minutes and one tie-wrap to install. Holds all positions without moving or slipping. Quality machining and looks great.

Weaknesses:    Very VERY slight play detected in saddle movement right to left, but almost indiscernable. Other than that, none so far.

Bottom Line:
All remote seatposts up to this time have had their issues. Gravity dropper appears to be the most reliable to date, but it could be said it's weakness is that it lacks infinite adjustment because of it's few mechanically set drop/lock points. The Specialized command post has a finicky and hard to access cable adjustment, as well as requiring a proprietary cable be purchased from Specialized if it needs to be replaced (I heard new models will use a standard cable but I haven't confirmed this). Other brands like Crank Bros (formerly Maverick) have infinite adjustment, but some have reported reliability issues from the hydraulic air/oil systems they use. Several other companies are using similar air/oil systems now including Kind, Rockshox, and Xfusion. Giant's version appears to be similar to these, although research I found seemed to indicate it uses a cartidge and not an open bath like some of the others. Only time and rigorous testing will prove the reliability or lack thereof for this seatpost. But for function, ease of adjustment, and aesthetics, the Giant appears top notch. I will try and follow up with another review in the future after some all-mountain break-in. :)

Favorite Trail:   National at South Mountain

Purchased At:   Found a new one on e

Similar Products Used:   Gravity dropper (friends).

Bike Setup:   2009 Specialized Enduro Expert SL. Upgraded- Stan's tubeless conversion, Continental X-King 2.4 UST, Titanium rotor bolts, SRAM 990 cassette, KMC X9SL chain, Easton carbon bars, WTB saddle, bashguard instead of triple ring.

Contact Switch Cable Mod

For those of you running a Contact Switch, here are a few mods I did to route the cable better than the stock set-up and provide better sealing against water entering the cable (heat shrink tubing). [IMG]http://photos.nsmb.com/files/2/1/7/2/4/dropperpostcable.jpg[/IMG]Read More »

SPAM: Specialized Blacklite, Giant Contact Switch, Thomson seatposts. All 30.9

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=73556]30.9 Seatpost Extravaganza! Specialized Blacklite (405x125mm) Giant Contact Switch, Thomson! - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] [email]mrkauk@me.com[/email] Located in Lexington, KY 40504Read More »

Giant Contact Switch vs. Specialized Blacklite

Who wins? Reliability, weight, side to side play, etc. Anyone who has ridden both to the front please. :thumbsup:Read More »

SPAM: Garage sale, Giant contact switch, Sram X9 partout and other various parts

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=72672]Giant Contact Switch 30.9 (new), Sram X9 crankset, shifters, derailleurs, cassette - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] [email]mrkauk@me.com[/email] located in lexington, Ky 40504Read More »

Giant Contact Switch Droppper Post Review

Hello All- I have been trying to find some detailed information about this new post and their does not appear to be a lot of info out there. That said, I decided to take a chance and order this post, and provide some feedback for anyone who may be interested in it. The seat post itself is 400mm ... Read More »