Fox Racing Shox DOSS Dropper Seatpost

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)

Fox wasn't quick to jump into the mountain bike suspension market. But, because of its motor-sport suspension knowhow, when they did it made a huge impact to the market -- for the better. The same holds true for its introduction of the Doss Dropper Seatpost with Remote Lever.One aspect that's detracted from the utility dropper posts is lateral and rotational slop. When riding aggressively, you need to know what the bike is doing, and one way thebike communicates to the ride is through the saddle. To ensurenothing's lost to poor tolerances, Fox uses a dual internalcam mechanism to solidly lock the post into position.One cam controls theanti-rotation apparatus, and the other controls post height. One nicefeature to this system is that it's self-adjusting. As you use any post, wearis inevitable -- and, tolerances will be compromised. The Doss,however, will remain as solid as it was the day you installed it.The cams are actuatedvia a handlebar remote with three distinct settings, which coincide withFox's new Climb, Trail, Descend (CTD) approach to suspensionsettings. The ergonomic, all alloy remote can be mounted left or right, andabove or below the bar to suit compatibility with any cockpit setup. Thelever's reach is also adjustable to fit different preferences andhand sizes.Anotherunique, adjustable feature is tune-able speed return.By adjusting pressure in the Schrader valve located below the post,you can speed up or decrease the rate which the post returns to its fullheight. And, the system is failsafe -- the post will always operateif pressure is lost.The post uses atraditional two-bolt clamp that's simple to dial in the correct saddle leveland fore/aft position. The Fox Shox Doss Dropper Seatpost with RemoteLever has zero offset and comes in either 31.6 or 30.9mm diameters, andhas a 4in or 5in drop option.

Submitted by Terry a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2013

Strengths:    Easy installation. Works well(but not sure how it should work since this is my first dropper post). Allows me to move around the bike easier and ride more obstacles. It looks amazing with my Fox CTD Floats too.

Weaknesses:    I little side to side play.

Bottom Line:
I'll call the elephant out in the room. I'm a Clydesdale! 280lbs of mountain biking goodness. I was worried about any dropper post, but wanted to try one. My LBS said to try the FOX DOSS. I'm not disappointed. The dropper works great. I drop it on the downhill sections and pop it up on the climbs. I rode it thru San Fran in the up position for the day. Lots of hill climbs. The dropper stayed true. I'm digging this post.

Favorite Trail:   Slick Rock

Purchased At:   Dave's Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer 275

Submitted by erockjmet a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2013

Strengths:    Solid worry free internals. Price as of 2013

Weaknesses:    Non so far

Bottom Line:
I have over 1000kms and 32kms of vert as of Aug 2013 and have had no issues with it. I am so satisfied with it that I bought a new one today and gave my wife the old one to replace her junky Joplin. Even the price is right now. Got it for $280 on pricepoint.

Duration Product Used:   2 seasons

Similar Products Used:   joplin

Submitted by fatpig a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2013

Strengths:    Cable instead of hydraulic hose - two position lever is great, albeit heavy and huge - can be locked up if it fails for some reason

Weaknesses:    dropper posts cost too much and this one is one of the worst - snaps up fast like command post, could pop you if you are not careful.

Bottom Line:
my first review - this one inspired me to take a minute only my first ride in with the post, but i already love it over the reverb i used all last year. installation was a breeze and its a huge relief to know i wont have to bleed the line like the reverb to cut the hose. maint is much easier with the cable - its just a der cable and works nicely. the first position down is perfect for most stuff and then you drop it all the way down for when it gets really steep. big upgrade from the reverb. we will see how it holds up.

Duration Product Used:   only one ride

Similar Products Used:   rock shox reverb

Bike Setup:   Niner RIP9

Submitted by mturoamer a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2012

Strengths:    Solid, it works. Thumb lever is easy to press and the 2 lever system works well when positioned within easy reach. Cable routing is OK, no problems. 2 position system is nice - you can judge the terrain ahead and know which position to drop to. Mechanical lock mechanism is loud and positive - you know when the post locks into a lowered position and when it's fully extended by the sound.

Weaknesses:    Nothing of note.

Bottom Line:
I've had the post for about 2 months and a dozen rides. I have the 5" model. I use it more ever ride. I use it to adjust the bike almost as much as I shift gears now. I never realized how much benefit to my riding a lower seat height could give. I was never one to stop and manually drop my post, I just dealt with a seat in the stomach or that feeling that the seat is going to kick you over the bars. Now that I'm getting used to dropping the post on almost any downhill section, I'm riding faster and more confidently. On steep downhills I'm amazed at how much more steering control I have when the seat is out of the way. And when you come to even the shortest rise, push the lever and sit down and climb. No break in the action. So, these benefits extend to all models. The Fox post feels quality. It has a little rotational play, but I don't notice it while riding. There's just a little vertical play in the extended position too. Again, not a functional issue. My suspension has some feedback too, so I don't notice the post much. The lever is ergonomically great. I have a 1X setup, so I put the lever on the left, under the bar, replacing the front derailleur shifter. The cable routing works on my bike just fine, I have cable guides for it. I use a top-tube hanger style hitch rack with a virtual top tube adapter. So far this hasn't damaged the post. Fox did not condone this method of bike transport though.

Duration Product Used:   2 month

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   None - only fixed position posts.

Bike Setup:   Yeti SB95

Submitted by Shawn a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2012

Strengths:    Stops where you want it no messing around trying to get different heights. Looks cool. Big company makes it.

Weaknesses:    After ten hours of saddle time it started to move side to side and front to back. More then a 1 year old reverb post. Broke the piece that holds the cable in and they had no parts available would be a month or more to get. The price is set high for fair quality

Bottom Line:
I returned it and got a reverb will see how it holds up. I don't hate the DOSS but expected more for the price. 10 hours of use and play not going to see how long to it fails.

Duration Product Used:   2 Weeks

Similar Products Used:   Reverb

Bike Setup:   2011 rocky mountain element Msl 50

Submitted by hags707

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    Works like its supposed to, 3 position lock is good, Smooth operation

Weaknesses:    Big lever, PRICE (but you get what you pay for, maybe)

Bottom Line:
Took it out for a trial and it seems smooth and flawless, will update if any thing changes. Lets hope for the price it stays in working order for years to come. For all those who complain about the price don't buy it, simple.

Submitted by eric

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2012

Strengths:    Solid so far. Easy to find height selection.

Weaknesses:    Very pretty. Hate to mark it up!!

Bottom Line:
I just bought one. Works great. Its mechanical internals have been around for a long time and are a proven design that is used by NASA and many other huge companies. I use the same tech everyday at work with pressures up to 300psi. It locks at certain positions only because the bearings are released by the switch. Thats why they claim that you can extend it manually if the cable breaks. Can others claim the same???
Fox didn't wait this long to release it because they lack in the research department. Its the opposite. I believe this will be the best and thats why I waited for it.
I will update later but the first impression is very good based on the engineering of it.

Fox DOSS vs. Specialized Command Post

Hi all, I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a dropper post, and I think I'm more interested in the ones with fixed drops. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both the Fox DOSS and the Command Post, and could comment on if there is any reason one should favor the DOSS over the Specia ... Read More »

TLD A1, Fox Doss and the Yelli

Just got the TLD A1 Helmet for my bday and a Fox Doss Dropper and took them and my Yelli out for a ride. Awesome helmet and post!!! [ATTACH=CONFIG]806747[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]806748[/ATTACH]Read More »

SS to DosS

I am thinking about setting up my SS as a DosS, one speed for the city and one for the country. I wanted to inquire about any issues that have been encountered with running two chainrings up front and a WI Dos Eno in the rear. Can I use a bmx chain or do I need to get a 8,9,10 speed chain? I imagine ... Read More »

Fox DOSS worth the $$?

Hey all, I got a '12 575 whose components I've upgraded to the point of satisfaction. However, I was considering a dropper post (specifically the fox DOSS). Is it really worth the extra cash? And what's the main diff between 125mm and 100? FWIW, I'm 6'2" 220 lb. I've also got a CTD lever for my rear ... Read More »

DOSS vs. LEV vs. Reverb

There is SO much info on each of these posts in their own specific threads, but I'm wondering if anyone has used either two or all three of these posts and can make a comparison. My experience is limited - I got a used Reverb off of craigslist which had some sag from the top position once I sat dow ... Read More »