Crank Brothers Kronolog Dropper Seatpost

2.2/5 (35 Reviews)

All new adjustable seatpost, 125mm of infinite adjustment, mechanical design and hydraulic feel.

Crank Brothers Kronolog Seatpost Pro Review

We had a chance to do some great rides with the new Crank Brothers Kronolog dropping post. This post is the latest entry in this important and competitive category of Dropping or Height Adjustable Seatposts. The most important aspect of a dropping post is smooth action and ease of use. It has to be really easy and consistent to use for it to be an effective tool in our rides since we often need it on those ‘oh snap’ moments. The more intuitive and hassle-free it is, the more the rider is likely to use the dropping post. Continue reading →

Submitted by herman a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2014

Strengths:    looks and cable position

Weaknesses:    hight adjustment

Bottom Line:
unreliable. Doesn't keep position. After 9 months the only position was "low". Took a month to repair. Then, after 3 months, again only `low` position. Now it took 3 months to repair.

Submitted by WaldoOC a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2013

Strengths:    Nice looking
Good ergonomics
Easy Installation
Adjustable air pressure for controlling return speed
Relatively low price (with steep discounts to be found)

Weaknesses:    Poor reliability/durability
Bad seat clamp design

Bottom Line:
I really wanted to like the kronolog. It's clean-looking and nice to use when it works. As a 200-lb rider, I know I may be a little harder on components than some, but I'm a XC guy who takes care of his equipment. I also understand that a dropper post is a suspension component, not a rigid post, so it'll need some maintenance. That said, the kronolog needs a version 2.0.

Like many, mine failed after about 8 months of 1-3 rides per week. At first the clamping system just seemed to wear out so that it wouldn't clamp at the desired height, but it soon failed completely, sagging to the bottom. CB repaired it quickly, but a few months later it began to slip again. CB again serviced it, though they weren't as friendly about it the second time. It's been several months since then, and I'm just now starting to feel a slight slip from the top of its travel.

But maybe worse than the reliability of the dropper mech is the seat clamp. Their design clamps from the sides and requires the user to position a small plastic bridge between the seat rails to keep from bending them inward, which makes for a slightly awkward installation. Worse is their use of a torx bolt means that you'll need a compatible multi-tool in your pack. Worse than that is the fact that this bolt requires a ridiculous amount of torque to hold the seat firmly; I've never been able to keep it from slipping rearward over the course of several long climbs. Even worse still is the fact that the clamp seems to get scored so that it can't easily be tilted. I have to loosen it a bunch then use a rubber mallet, so small adjustments in seat angle are almost impossible (see multiple reviews of various CB posts for similar complaints).

I got a screaming deal on mine, and comparable bargains are out there, so I'll give it 2 chilis for value. But it's such a frustrating product to live with, failing to do some of the basic functions of any post, that I can't give more than one chili overall. If CB comes out with a revised version with better durability and a functional seat clamp then they'd be in the game, but for now this is one to skip.

Similar Products Used:   Thomson Elite and Masterpiece fixed posts (owned)
KS Lev and Rockshox Reverb Stealth droppers (demoed)

Bike Setup:   Used this post on a Yeti 575 and a Giant Anthem Advanced 29er

Submitted by Jake a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2013

Strengths:    Better than going without a dropper.... sometimes.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable, tall when compressed, finicky and fragile.

Bottom Line:
Has failed twice since I have owned it, which has only been about three months. Losing pressure after sitting and compressing on its own after airing it up minutes before, along with an insanely fast up travel makes this a frustrating post. Distracts me from getting riding done never knowing when it will fail again. Currently have sent it in for a warranty rebuild then looking to sell for anything else.

Submitted by Thomas Day

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2013

Strengths:    looks okay, light.

Weaknesses:    everything else. Failed on 2nd ride on my Satori. Its a $200 blemish on your bike. Get rid of it.

Bottom Line:
ditched this pos post for a fox, which did come out of the box ready to go, and has since performed flawlessly :)

Submitted by Dave

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2013

Strengths:    I liked this design for it's lack of dangling cable.

Weaknesses:    Construction, harder metal against softer metal= fail. I've set this post back now 3 times. Each time, same result, post fails, slips even though it's set up correctly with the "green" indicator in the proper spot. The last time it failed it wouldn't hold air along with slipping. They should simple issue a recall on this product and issue people refunds.

Bottom Line:
Disappointed.
If you want to keep sending products back due to a failed design then by all mean buy this post. Crank Brothers will no longer send you a call tag to pay for return shipping, you have to pay to ship back their crappy product. Perhaps if you weight under 150lbs this product might work for you, hard to say.

Submitted by wakejunky a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2013

Strengths:    Clean design, no looping cable when depressed. Simple operation. Nice actuating lever, easy to access pressure adjustment.

Weaknesses:    Cheap cheap saddle compenents

Bottom Line:
HORRIBLE.....repeat......HORRIBLE customer service. The cheap plastic saddle bridge broke during installation. The part should have been metal. Also note that they use a Torx for the saddle and lever mount so, trail side adjustments with your carry along tools isn't possible. Called to try and get a replacement part, really thought it would be simple, through a saddle bridge in an envelope and call it good. Seeing that we're both in California, thought it would be just a couple of days. Was really anticipating being able to use it during a big downhill trail the following weekend. Actually spoke to a rep was told to send email to email address, smallparts@crankbrothers.com. Sent email, and got no response so I don't know if it ever made it. Called the following day, had to leave a message, waited a day and still no response. Called and had to leave a message to the customer support manager. Left message waited two days and still no response. Needless to say that I'm returning it for a refund, thanks PricePoint. I just don't want to take the risk of having to get it serviced at any point.
I went against my better judgement when I ordered this, I really liked the design and price point.
I can't put my money towards a company who is unresponsive to customers and will NOT consider buying anything with the CrankBrothers name on it.

Similar Products Used:   KS LEV

Bike Setup:   12' SC TallBoy Carbon

Submitted by John

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2013

Strengths:    Infinitely adjustable

Weaknesses:    None So Far

Bottom Line:
I got this on my new Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon
It's worked perfectly so far.
I'm 200lbs and it lifts and drops on cue, quickly and predictably.
It's about the same weight as the stock post.
A friend has been through real problems with a different brand
so I was nervous about this buy.
I would recommend it to anyone.

Submitted by Doug B a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2013

Strengths:    A zen attitude to nothingness

Weaknesses:    Reliability

Bottom Line:
Same as everyone else. Failed after a month with proper setup. They stated they tested this post for over a year before release. If they did then why did it hit the market? Saw the new re-design. looks like the major design flaws were not addressed.

Similar Products Used:   Gravity Dropper- Great
KS Lev- Great

Submitted by ChrisAlpine13

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2013

Strengths:    Very Sleak Design - one of the best looking on the market
Relatively lightweight versus its peers (only added c.200grams to my bike weight)
Fluidity of the return mechanism - doesnt slap you in the nuts!
Remote control design is excellent plus no need to remove brakes and grips
Routing of the cable - separate to the seat movement and fixed so it doesnt hit legs when seat lowered

Weaknesses:    Potential Reliabilitity - no issues as yet but remain cognisant of others and their issues
When fully raised the seat post has a layer of grease that can get muck etc stuck on it - when lowered, this muck potentially goes inside mechanism?
Higher maintenance than other non-mechanical seats
Lever is stiffer and requires more effort than most fluid systems - doesnt bother me

Bottom Line:
I've had the Crank Brothers Kronolog seat post now for over 3-months and it has worked without issue during this time. I had concerns with buying the Kronolog given all of the negative reviews raised on the forums and by some of the more profressional reviewers. A lot of these are very valid points and Crank Brothers in my view need to ensure they implement a more detailed set-up procedure and employ a better marketing department to explain how their products work!

Firstly, I really only purchased the Kronolog as a friend offered it to me for £110 off a new Mondraker (he already had a Rock Shox Reverb) he purchased. If it was at the full RRP at £250 versus Reverb at £300 it most likely would have been a different outcome! That said, it can be found around the internet under £200 so at that price i consider it good value and would have puechased anyway over the Reverb

Secondly, in my opinion the set up of the seat post is key to it working correctly. I wouldnt be 100% sure that it is correctly set up out of the box. There are a lot of people having issues with cable tensioning and wear issues on the seat post. In my view both of these issues are directly related to each other and the way the user engages the seat. Mine has operated flawlessly from day 1 and i followed the following procedures:

1. Out of the Box - I ensured that the cable tensioning on the lever was loose with at least 6-7mm travel on the lever before it activated the seat post - this means that there is more distance for the lever to travel on each press and a bit more thumb effort, but its worth getting this bit right in the long run.

2. Ensure a full push on the lever when raising and lowering the seat so there is no rubbing during the motion - i lift slightly off the seat before pressing to lower preventing undue stress on the mechanism. Logic would tell me that if you press the lever whilst sitting on the seat the post will start to move as the bite on the post decreases and therefore will be more abrasive on the post.

3. After 2-3 weeks of use, re-test the cable as it will most likely have stretched a mm or so and re-adjust the tensioning to ensure 6-7mm + of slack

4. Regularly maintain it - every month, take a look at the mechanism and ensure its ok and check cable tensioning - its a 5 min job ive done 3 times now plus initital set up.

Yes, there are still some bite marks on the aluminium part of the post, but nothing excessive. There is absolutely no sideways play in the seat and you can pick the bike up from the seat post. Im not noticing any drop on the seat when i sit on it, so if its there, its minimal.

The damping system is twofold, it shoots up then slows at the end. I like this, maybe more professional XC racers dont given it takes a bit longer, but its nothing excessive - i think its fast enough and not far off what the Rock Shox Reverb offers.

Dirt sticks to the seat post when fully up but difficult to avoid i think. I've learned to wash the post with a spounge from the bottom up to try to get as most out as possible. I put a touch of light grease back on it post wash. The mechanism is nicely protected by a plastic cover, but ive heard a few people having issues with losing these. Maybe im not as adventurous as some but no issues from me in that regard so far.

All-in-all i think its a fantastic post. Crank Brothers come under a lot of criticism for reliability, and in my opinion there have been a number of flaws in some of their previous products including the awful Joplin and the Cobalt wheelsets (water ingress) - though the latter looks phenomonal. However, i think the biggest issue for Crank Brothers is that they dont clearly articulate how to set up and service the products they sell. This is a great looking product and works well, but it does require the user to be cognisant of its potential pitfalls and plan accordingly routine maintenance on a monthly or quartlery basis, particularly depending on conditions being cycled.

I would have no hesitation recommending this seat post on this basis.

Submitted by fleisch

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2013

Strengths:    When working does a good job. Infinite adjustment. Fairly smooth movement of the post.

Weaknesses:    Eventually fails. The clamping system does not work. The dropper drops when it is not supposed to. Who cares why - the bottom line is that it does not work and needs to be redesigned.

Bottom Line:
The first post purchased began to fail after about 1 hour of riding. The post was dropping, particularly when at full height, and the amplitude of drop just kept worsening. After 2 or 3 more rides it was completely useless as a "dropper post". I sent it back and the post sent back initially worked relatively well and I was hopeful that some significant modification had been made by Crankbros. After riding 2-3 per week for approximately 3 months the dropper again began to drop from full height. This time is was initially only several millimeters and I was able to deal with this although it was quite annoying. Over time this gradually worsened and the post would also drop at various other heights. In addition, the raising of the post to full height began to slow and not always even reach full height. I increased the pressure minimally, however the post would then not stay at the lowest position, sliding up approximately 1 to 2 cm under the increase in pressure. I am sending it back under warranty for the second time.

Submitted by javier fuenzalida

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2013

Strengths:    weight, setable handle bar command, tow way locking wher you want it, stationary cable mounting.

Weaknesses:    play when use for a couple of months.

Bottom Line:
escentialy, you get what you pay for. ...In this case, the words doesn´t fit at all, you get much better than you pay compare with similars in market. I mean, got a lot of friends with reverbs and KSs, and all of them seatpost get played over used. The plainness sistem allow an easy maintenance, and it´s incredible good looking.

Submitted by Patrick

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2013

Strengths:    infinite adjust, cable mount at bottom of post, lowers and raises as it should.

Weaknesses:    the original seat clamp that came with the post didnt toghten quite right. (Krank Bros sent me a new one, and it works perfecty). Would be nice if they used a standard hex bolt for the seat clamp

Bottom Line:
I hesitate to write this post because, in the event I jinx myself. My Kronolog past works perfectly. I bought this dropper post after reading many mixed reviews. I had moderate expectations to say the least. I was careful to enure proper trigger slack and cable length etc. during installation.

The original seat clamp didnt tighten quite right. It needed to be severly over tightened to lock the seat down. I rode twice with no issues, while crank bros sent me a new one. The new clamp worked perfectly. Beyond that, it took a ride or two to adjust the air pressure to my liking (for height adjust, w/o testical injury).

this post is installed on a Santa Cruz Nomad. Ridden about 25 days and maybe 350 miles. Varied terrain ranging from Downieville Downhill to SF Bay Area rides like Soquel Demo, Santa Cruz areas and Skyline etc.) Haven't had a single problem with adjustment, lowering, raising or sagging under weight. I only weigh 155Lbs which may help.

This post has worked really well for me, so far. Props to crank broths customer service for putting a new clamp in the mail (post marked) the day I called.

Submitted by Kyle Forsythe a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2013

Strengths:    Infinite height settings

Weaknesses:    Unreliable; Doesn't stay at desired height.

Bottom Line:
The Kronolog came stock on my new Satori. Post was set-up by lbs. I never thought I'd use a dropper post much, so I didn't put too much weight on the negative things I read and heard prior to purchasing the bike. The more I rode and experimented with changing the seat height, the more I liked dropping it going into a corner or before dropping into a ravine. After 5 hrs of riding, the post "drops" about 1/2" when I sit back down on it. I checked to make sure it had sufficient "play" in the cable. No improvement.

Favorite Trail:   P2

Duration Product Used:   5 hrs

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Reverb; Specialized Command Post

Bike Setup:   Setup by lbs when bike was purchased new.

Submitted by yfz_duner

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2013

Strengths:    infinitely adjustable, adjusting mechanism on the bottom

Weaknesses:    reliability

Bottom Line:
I'd had my eye on the KS LEV and Fox DOSS, but never could quite pull the trigger because of the price. Then I found a smokin' deal on the Kronolog from Bike Nashbar and bought it for myself for Xmas. I figured for $150 it was worth a try. I knew that eventually I'd have an issue with it, but I've heard Crank Brothers has great customer service, so I figured why not. It would at least let me figure out if a dropper post is for me.

Installation was simple. I was careful to make sure I had the recommended 2-3mm of play in the cable and the routing had enough slack for turning the bars around.

The first ride was great...once I remembered I could drop my seat. :) For flat technical stuff I dropped the seat an inch or two and for the steeper stuff I slammed it all the way. Downhill switchbacks are so much easier with the seat out of the way.

For the second ride I chose San Juan trail in SoCal. A moderately steep 6 mile ascent with lots of switchbacks and then turn around and bomb back down. A great place to have a dropper seatpost. Well about a 1/4 mile into the ride up my seat felt too low. I hit the lever and the seat went up about a 1/2"...I guess I just forgot to extend it all the way. Another 5 mins and again something wasn't right. I hit the lever and again the seat goes up some...uh oh! (seriously CB...it works for one ride and that's it?) By the third time I stopped and raised the whole post up a bit. From then on I kept hitting the lever ever 5 mins or so when my legs needed a little more stretching. Needless to say I got good and finding the lever without hunting for it.

So after two rides I've learned do like the dropper post concept. I'll have my Kronolog fixed and hopefully get more than one ride out of it before it breaks again. Once the warranty runs out in 2 years, by then hopefully something more reliable will be available.

Submitted by Jim

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2012

Strengths:    Drops when I want it to, stops where I want it to, raises back up when I want it to
Cable does not move

Weaknesses:    A little bit stickier than I'd like to lower it. Takes a very deliberate press of the button. Could be a bit easier.

Bottom Line:
Works great, no issues at all. I've used it on The Whole Enchilada in Moab (twice!) and many other technical trails in the Rocky Mountains west of Denver. No problems at all. Traded my Joplin 3 for it and have been very happy with it.

06-07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp & Kronolog drop post ??

Will this combination work with Specialized's "pierced" downtube frame? I'm in the midst of rehab from Spinal Fusion (neck) surgery and need to get off my hardtail and back onto a squishy bike. Surgeon said. I'm not in a position to buy new at this point so used is where I'm looking. I really want t ... Read More »

Satori question - kronolog cable routing

Curious if anyone riding a satori has rubed the cable housing bare due to wheel rub when the sus is compressed into the end of its travel? I have - first time was my fault in how I repositioned the cable after installing a blingy seat clamp after replacement and cable routing alignment im stil ... Read More »

Crank Brothers Kronolog - am I missing something?

I'm installing a crank brothers kronolog post but the clamps do not allow the saddle to pivot down (pretty much just up). Am I missing something or is this a serious design flaw? The lowest I can pivot the saddle is still too "nose up" for me (see attached crappy iphone pic). Thoughts? [ATTAC ... Read More »

parts for my Kronolog

So I broke the bridge (plastic piece that goes between the rails of the saddle) of my Kronolog and I cant find it, i called CB and left voice massage and I am still waiting. Has anyone replace this piece and where u get it? cvegaRead More »