9point8 Fall-Line Dropper Seatpost

• Quick-disconnect cable
  • Convertible inline / offset

Submitted by Joseph a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2017

Strengths:    Very smooth even when installed in a shallow seat tube angled frame. Lots of travel (175mm). Compact design allows for maximum insertion compared to Reverb. Cable actuation is simple. Easy install. Great customer service.

Weaknesses:    No rebound speed damping. Speed controlled by air pressure alone and has no damping. Have to grease it periodically for smooth action.

Bottom Line:
I had wonderful customer service prior to deciding to buy this dropper. They provided me with as much information as I asked for and were very courteous and prompt. The seatpost works wonderfully. It's really smooth. I did have a few slips of the seatpost without actuating the lever, but those have gone away. I read that the brake seats itself over time. No slipping for a while now and I still consider it pretty new. I'm riding a Slash 8 and the frame's seat post tube bends. I installed a Reverb 170mm but couldn't get it into the frame far enough to be really comfortable when doing big downhill stuff. This fall line 175 inserts further and allows me to ride lower when I desire. This is possible because it doesn't have a really lame, long hydraulic hose tube sticking out of the bottom of it. This post is a lot smoother than my reverb was too.
Yes, it's expensive. But in this case you get what you pay for. Hopefully it lasts a long time.
Only real downside to this post is that you can't adjust the pressure and rebound speed separately.

Favorite Trail:   Romero Canyon

Purchased At:   9point8.com

Similar Products Used:   Sram Reverb Stealth. Giant Switch

Bike Setup:   2015 Trek Slash 8

Submitted by rollertoaster a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2017

Strengths:    on paper this thing looks great

Weaknesses:    does not function as advertised

Bottom Line:
I really want to love this post, it checks all my boxes. 200mm of drop, mechanical cable actuation, microadjust saddle angle, and the ability to remove the saddle without losing the angle setting. Unfortunately my post has been plagued by problems from the start. After the first ride it had leaked down to nothing in the air spring. A couple rides later the brake started slipping and a "brake reset" did not remedy the issue. I was forced to disassemble the post to clean contamination off the brake and out of the air chamber. A few rides later the brake started slipping again, no way in hell the contamination came from the pump this time , as I have switched to a separate previously unused shock pump to use exclusively on this post. Now for the last straw, last night I felt a grinding sensation while lowering the saddle and the stanchion has 2 large scratches which have somehow occurred from the internals of the post.

I have been in posession of this post for under a month, while injured, so it has seen only a handful of rides. I have emailed the company 4 times (beginning with the first time it leaked) since buying the post and have received not one reply. Facebook messenger, no reply. Posts on their page, no reply. Phone call, no answer and so far no call back. This is probably the worst experience I have ever had with a bike part.

Similar Products Used:   ks lev, rockshox reverb

Bike Setup:   santa cruz hightower

Submitted by mn037608 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2016

Strengths:    Infinite adjustments

Weaknesses:    pricy

Bottom Line:
Somewhat underwhelmed by this seat post for the cost. Very underwhelmed by the reactivity and service provided by the folks at 9point8. I would say the post is a tad bit better than my previous Command Post IR which is half the price of this one. Installation was not difficult, Seat post got lost in shipping, but the folks at 9point8 really didn’t feel it was a big deal and never got back to me when I asked them to trace and help. Inquired several times after the post was lost for weeks before they finally engaged. Not looking forward to an issue if I need 9point8's help. Fingers crossed!

Similar Products Used:   Command Post IR

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumjumper FSR Comp 29er

Submitted by Wareagle a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2016

Strengths:    Very little side-to-side play; weight, innovative seat clamp; versatile lever that can be mounted either vertical or horizontal; easy installation (mechanical so no bleeding); reputation for reliability and quality

Weaknesses:    Cable tension is very sensitive; feels a bit sticky sometimes; long wait time (all Fall-Lines were sold out when I ordered mine, so had to wait 2 months)

Bottom Line:
I did a lot of research before buying a dropper. Basically every one available at the moment seems to have some issues. However, I found the least complaints and most praise for the 9point8 Fall-Line, so that's what I went with.
I was most sold by the Fall-Line's relatively light weight and quality reputation.
The price is high, but in line with most other droppers.
I've been ridiing the post for a few months now with few issues.
Out of the box, the Fall-Line was easy to install, however though I watched the install video and knew to not tension the cable too much, I still ended up with too much tension and a post that would slip on hard impacts. Loosening the tension was no big deal. However, after a few weeks of riding, the post slipped again. I couldn't figure out why, but noticed there was no "free play" in the lever. Out of desperation, I pushed the lever fully, and when it retracted there was plenty of free play, and the post was rock solid again. Not sure what that was about, but if that's the only trouble I have I'll be a satisfied customer.
The side-to-side play is very little compared to other droppers I've ridden on demo bikes.
I like the seat clamp design, though using the supplied torque wrenches does require some neck contortions.
Only slight complaint would be that the post can seem a little "sticky" sometimes, especially when trying to drop it just an inch or so. The further you push the lever, the easier the post drops and returns, so it's a bit of a learning curve. I have only demo'd a few other droppers and don't recall if they were buttery smooth or not, but the Fall-Line is definitely not super-smooth. However, it does what it's supposed to, and if the quality and reliability are as good as the reviews, I'm fine with a post that feels a bit sticky.
The lever is exactly as billed. Being able to run the lever horizontally was a big selling point for me. Other posts require you to purchase a separate lever at $60+. The Fall-Line lever is pretty minimal, but the way they designed it to mount vertical and horizontal demonstrates 9point8's focus on simple, innovative designs over flashy expensive ones, IMO. I did buy the ~$10 adapter that moves the lever out a bit and better positions it like a shift lever. The position with the adapter is perfect, nearly identical to the position of my rear shifter (on the opposite side of the bars obviously).
Dealing with 9point8 was also a very good experience. In order to get on the wait list, I just e-mailed them and received a personal response with instructions. When the post was available, I received a link and instructions on how to order.
Shipping was quick as well, with no issues getting through customs (9point8 is a Canadian company that does their manufacturing in Canada as well, which was another selling point for me).

Overall, no real complaints so far, and the workmanship of the post is exactly what I was hoping for from a company that appears to be focused on innovative, reliable products.

Favorite Trail:   Boulder Park, Dallas

Duration Product Used:   100 hours

Purchased At:   9point8.ca

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 4C

Submitted by Bob a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2016

Strengths:    Works as a dropper should, smooth, accurate and no play.

Weaknesses:    The price, especially the total price (see review).

Bottom Line:
In looking at my options for a dropper, none are inexpensive. Couple that with not a lot of information on just about every brands web site for fit and your left guessing on which length will work ( I have a small frame bike with a contoured seat tube). Enter 9point8, they want to ensure you get the right and best fit / length post for your bike. After some communication I discovered I was able to put a longer post than originally thought. The post arrived a few weeks after initial contact and installed straightforward with good directions and everything included in the box. I have used the post for a few rides and it works great, smooth and solid. The down side...its a pricy post, but about average what others sell for. Unfortunately, having it shipped to the US cost more than expected and then my credit card also dinged me for a conversion fee too. I guess the payoff will be a longer life before a rebuild vs the hydraulic units.

Purchased At:   9point8