Titec Pluto Carbon Bar End

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 110 grams MSRP : $69.99

SwankyTitec logo on a gloss-finish carbon fiber bar end. 110mm long, 110g / pair with an ergonomic "thumb rest"Tip. Beveled clamp for enhanced compatibility with carbon handlebars.

Submitted by sandcritter a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable. Really, really comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Slick. Really, really slippery slick.

Bottom Line:
If these bad boys had some texture (and being so curvy makes adding texture tricky), they'd be "great". But as is, for the non-weight-weenie, these are pretty darn nice. No larger than needed, and well executed.

Similar Products Used:   (way back) Coda XYZ, Salso MoJo, or nothing

Bike Setup:   Gunnar Rockhound on trail-duty: Marz Retro700SL, King/XTR/X.O type of deal

Submitted by Alex a Racer from Essex

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    Quality build, Ergonomic Shape, Carbon look is great, Very comfy.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit too heavy for a carbon bar-end. (110g is rather heavy for a bar-end by racers standards)

Bottom Line:
Well worth the price and the most comfy and best looking ar-end you can buy, although the weight may be an issue if you are a weight weenie. There are lots of different hand positions you can have. They also have small scratches after a bit of use, but nothing to ruin the look ;)

Purchased At:   www.chainreactioncycles.com

Similar Products Used:   X-Lite bar end

Bike Setup:   2007 Trek 9.8 Carbon - Sram X.0 + Gripshift - full carbon parts - Fizik Saddle

Submitted by B-Ray from Running Springs, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2007

Strengths:    Great product, hand postion is awsomeand how long they are.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found

Bottom Line:
Great product I suggest trying them put u won't be dissapointed at all.

Favorite Trail:   Explorer trail

Purchased At:   Steve

Similar Products Used:   all kinds of barends

Bike Setup:   29er Spider pimped out full XO black box gravity dropper F resoultion 2.3 R Panaracer fire 1.95 RotorCranks

Submitted by Andrew a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2006

Strengths:    Weight, egronomics, looks.

Weaknesses:    can be easly damaged if bike is droped on concrete, price is 40 bucks, but thats nothing compared to the actually cost of the bike.

Bottom Line:
By far the best bar end you will ever buy

Favorite Trail:   to many to name

Purchased At:   www.blueskycycling.com

Similar Products Used:   some crappy aluminum bar end

Bike Setup:   06 specialized stump jumper disc, with lots of goodies.

Submitted by Troy Schon a Cross Country Rider from St. Paul, MN

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, comfortable, ergo friendly, styling, lightweight

Weaknesses:    The finish chips easy. Cost is high for bar ends.

Bottom Line:
These little devil fit my hands very nicely. They are very stiff and nice for climbing. I would recommend these if you feel like spending $50-$70 on bar ends. I have not crashed them so the jury is still out on durability. I used a 20% off coupon at REI and got a good deal, something to consider... The styling is cool and easy on the eye.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS C2

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2006

Strengths:    Ergonomic, conform perfectly to my hands, weight, look awesome.

Weaknesses:    coating, but I imagine it's consistent to all carbon products.

Bottom Line:
This is my first carbon fiber product, and I'm pretty satisfied. Except for the two times I accidentally dropped my bike on the pavement while returning from a ride, they have handled well. However, those two times that they did fall on the pavement resulted in a pretty good road rash and a few chips where they contacted the pavement (pretty small though). I guess if you buy these, make sure you get a deal like I did or you might be pretty peaved the first time your bike takes a spill on anything but an actual xc trail. Maybe this is consistent with all carbon fiber products, but since this is my first I can't say but would imagine that is in fact the case.

As for the functionality, they're amazing. When I first started riding I used barends, then trimmed down my bar so I could cut faster through singletrack. After a 5-6 year hiatuss a fellow rider suggested that barends help tremendously for technical climbs, so I did some research, tried a few out in my hands, and came to this product. Well he was right, my climbing abilities have doubled, I can make it up almost every techincal climb now with little to no effort (this applies to barends in general, as I'm sure the same could be said for most models). The good thing about this particular model is that they point far enough inward where approaching trees are not an issue Overall, I would say these are excellent, but I'll be sure to be more careful when resting my bike against my jeep.

Favorite Trail:   The Ant Hills