Singletrack Solutions ST-Lite Bar End

2.78/5 (54 Reviews)
Weight : 63 grams MSRP : $19.99

Singletrack Solutions ST-Lites barends version 2 feature an injection-molded resinThat is both light and comfortable. Unit of Sale: Pair Weight: 62 g Material: Plastic/Injection molded resin

Submitted by dickyelsdon a Cross Country Rider from Newcastle, UK

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Strengths:    This product just fits me like no other bar end, even the much hyped cane creek. The central position of the bar mount means you are not stretched out an further so if you have a good position for your bars it give you a good position on the bar-ends. They also allow you to wrap your fingers round unlike the integrated ergon bar ends.

I use these with Ergon GX-1 grips and this is where the best strenght lies. The setup allows you to grip your hand/fingers on the bar-end but still rest the heel of your palm on the flat part of the ergon grip, meaning to grab the brakes just requires a twist of the wrist without even talking the heel off the grip! a more superior position i have yet to find. Ive done a LOT of miles like this including 7 day endurance race, 100mile race and many many days out in trail centres, never once have i come across any problems.

Weaknesses:    Metal screw in plastic, if your ham fisted you'll strip it. Careful setup required. Also being plastic they could break, but again if you get the tightness just right they will just get knocked out of the way rather than break.

Bottom Line:
This product just works for me, it might not for some but they are not exactly expensive and bar-ends like grips are very much a personal preference.

Purchased At:   via someone on Weigh

Similar Products Used:   Cane-creek, some cheap copy off eBay, Ergon integrated.

Bike Setup:   Originally on a Yeti-ASR, now on a Salsa Spearfish.

Submitted by jadedbee a Cross Country Rider from Sacto, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Strengths:    light, cheap, look mean

Weaknesses:    not soft/ergo enough for extended palm pressure (like on the flats), can twist under power, wish they could double as a lock on grip clamp

Bottom Line:
I cannot agree with the other reviewers - these are the most durable bar ends I've owned. Even if they had broken in the myriad crashed I've had, I wouldn't mind because they are so inexpensive to replace compared to others. My other, more comfortable bar ends would get bent and the rubber would get chewed up and tear. These have not cracked and just get scuffed (I take sand paper to them to get the scratches out).
They can twist under power, but this is less likely as your fingers are wrapped around both ends, distributing more even force instead of just a lever extending off the front. Also, having them give in a crash can save them or your bars from breaking (same idea as not tightening your brake levers too tight). My other bar ends would pinch and damage my aluminum bars; I don't have to worry with these. In fact, I've learned to just hold on and slide on the hard plastic if I lay the bike down - they protect my bars, my fingers and arm, and are less likely to catch and throw me OTB.
I just use them for leverage to pull against during short bursts; they will beat up your palm if you rest your weight on them.
One other gripe not specific to this model but lesser bar ends in general - you lose some useful handle bar width, especially if these are installed with lock-on grips. I wish they could double as the end clamp like some of the higher end systems.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   old school Onzas, some aluminum bar ends wrapped in rubber that were roughly the same shape

Bike Setup:   9 speed hardtail 29er, wide aluminum flat bars with 12 degree sweep (Salsa motos), ODI lock on grips

Submitted by Hans Fetish a Cross Country Rider from Detroit, MI

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    -low profile...there when you need it torque bangers and works well with the risers
- 63g what!
- pricepoint got'em ~$13

Weaknesses:    could use a metal nut molded on receiving end of the instead of relying on plastic to hold the hardware thread. i realized this when i first installed them and did crank em. this sometimes results in slip on the handle bar and you have to readjust....this doesn't happen often and has never been so bad that i have to stop the ride.

Bottom Line:
Initially when i switched to risers, i didn't find a need for bar ends but that changed when i started single speeding.

I am an aggressive XC rider whom has taken my far share of rides over the bars over the last 3+ years i have used these. i have had any really problems . i can't comment on the customer service.

I can say that with pricepoints price, this is a $13 63g advantage you are adding to your rig which, for me, has been well worth it...i have just order a second set.

Favorite Trail:   Highland

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   onza, some others, scott at3 ...those were some bars.

Bike Setup:   customized Sette Razzo and stumpjumper

Submitted by Brad Fisk a Weekend Warrior from Reno nevada

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2009

Strengths:    Extremely poor

Weaknesses:    Very weak

Bottom Line:
Would not recomend it too anyone,junk

Purchased At:   College Cyclery

Submitted by Sasso a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, GA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    Price/Ease of Install

Weaknesses:    Feel/Comfort

Bottom Line:
In spite of the ease of install and the price, I wouldn't recommend these bar ends. When you ride using the bar ends it feels like you are torquing holding two rocks in your hands. I rode two times with them installed, pulled them off and threw them away. I went down and bought the Cane Creek Ergo ends the next day...so much for saving a few dollars. I wrote the company to tell them what I thought...the wrote back and asked for more specific comments and I never heard back from them. So much for small town customer service. The Cane Creek product is twice the price but they rock. Go look at the comments for that one before you buy. MTBR.com is the bomb.

Favorite Trail:   Blanket's Creek

Purchased At:   Chainwheel, Little R

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Ergo

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS1

Submitted by runbuddha a Cross Country Rider from Seneca SC

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2009

Strengths:    Light does the job

Weaknesses:    It broke when bike fell over on hard pavement.

Bottom Line:
I would have to say for the price and customer service you can't beat this. Yes mine broke. But I sent an email to the guys at single track and within 24hours had a response to send the broken part to them and they will get me one sent back. Other reviewers have commented on how they had no way to contact the company well let me help. ripnsingletrack@hotmail.com Wasn't that hard to find just had to look at the website so with that said go buy one and don't worry about durability.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah

Purchased At:   Clemson Cyclery

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior from raton, nm usa

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    Cool Design, works great when not broken

Weaknesses:    Broken, don't lay your bike over (impossible if you actually ride it)

Bottom Line:
Second set, both broke when the bike fell over. Can't reach company for warranty "guarantee". Would not recommend.

Submitted by Fleas a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland, OH USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Strengths:    This is for the ST-Pro (the supposedly beefed-up version).

I like black.

Weaknesses:    It broke - ON THE TRAINER!!

Bottom Line:
These are not very good.

There is not enough thread engagement on the fasteners (a steel fastener in plastic needs about 2 diameters to avoid stripping the plastic thread out), so I carefully tightened them maybe 1/2 turn after the bolt began to tighten and left them like that.
The right side bar end cracked when I leaned on it (which is a different problem altogether, huh?).
Considering all of the problems they've had with the previous ones I figured they would have worked out the bugs by now. Nope.

And honestly, the surface area that is against your hand is fairly small (not quite "a handful") so they are not really comfortable.

-F

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   rigid XC 29er

Submitted by ntj a Cross Country Rider from Sydney

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2008

Strengths:    Comfy

Weaknesses:    Broke after 2 days when the bike was dropped on the ground

Bottom Line:
I should have read these reviews first. Why bother making these stinkers? They are supposed to be very tough, but they break very easily and you can't contact the company. They were just on my commuter, you are asking for trouble if you want to use them on 'singletrack'.

Favorite Trail:   Appin

Bike Setup:   Shogun Prarie Breaker on slicks for commuting

Submitted by ClimberStephen a Racer from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    They are small and light weight. There is a ÈProÈ version now that are a bit more beefy and are way more ergonomic. Iève used them both now.

Weaknesses:    The plastic is total junk. I read through the earlier reviews and totally agree with most. I owned my Pro versions (you know, the more beefy ones) for only a month and one went flying after my first wreck! Also, I couldn't get them not to rotate on my bars, no matter what I did. I even went as far to roughen up the end of my bars with a Dremal in hopes to add more friction. No luck.

Bottom Line:
Never buy these! They WILL break in you within 6 months. A total waste of money. And, as everyone else has said, no way to contact the manufacturer. I've owned two sets now, and have had two of them break. I won't be buying more.

Purchased At:   Some Web Site

Similar Products Used:   I hate having bull horns off my handle bars, which is why I went for the smaller size of these guys.

Submitted by WestCoast a Cross Country Rider from Squamish,BC,Canada

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2008

Strengths:    Great shape and size. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Made from a Hard but VERY BRITTLE plastic that easily cracks.
A very tight fit onto handle bar making installation a bit of a pain, but not that bad.

Bottom Line:
Would really like this Bar end if it was made with a better plastic. Seems to have been made with a very brittle plastic that cracks very easily when installing or tightening. Be very careful not to tighten to much or they'll shatter as mine did. This was quite a shock to me as they were being installed onto carbon bars, which you can't exactly crank anything to every tightly.

Favorite Trail:   Canada