Serfas Stabilizers Bar End

3.12/5 (43 Reviews)

Ultra-lightweight bar ends have a soft outer ridge for reduced hand fatigue. ABS plastic provides a positive grip. Recessed allen bolts add to the ergonomic style.

Submitted by Elvin a Cross Country Rider from Quezon City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2009

Strengths:    These bar ends are actually very comfortable to use. They look different than traditional ones, but the design is very sleek.

Weaknesses:    I have the aluminum version and the bolts/mounting holes strip very easily.

Bottom Line:
I have the aluminum version and the bolts/mounting holes strip very easily. After using them for a few months, I had to take them out because I was replacing my grips. When I put the bar ends back on, one side hadn’t come fully tight yet, and wham, I felt a slight snap then the screw just kept on turning, it just got stripped! I then bought a self-tapping metal screw of a slightly bigger diameter from the hardware store and replaced the stock bolt and it mounted properly again.

Early this year, I took out the bar ends again (together with the grips, the brakes/shifters, etc.) because I upgraded to carbon fiber bars. Similar to my experience a year earlier, when I was put the bar ends back on, when I was tightening the side with the stock bolt, I again felt a slight snap then the screw just kept on turning, it got stripped again, this time the other piece! I then again bought a self-tapping metal screw of a slightly bigger diameter from the hardware store and replaced the stock bolt and it mounted properly again.

Out of curiosity, I asked my LBS about this, it turns out that this is a common occurrence with this particular Serfas bar end. The wrenches in the shop themselves stripped a couple of them already in the past. So I know the problem is not isolated to me alone.

It’s an overall good product; I just wish Serfas would do something about this. I still use the bar ends now, both with modified bolts.

Favorite Trail:   Maarat, San Mateo

Purchased At:   Ross Cycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Specialized bar ends

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Perth, WA, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2009

Strengths:    Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Not durable. Broke after 3 months plus. I ride bike paths only! Contacted Serfas - no reply. My LBS no longer carries it thank goodness.

Bottom Line:
Would not buy or recommend this product.

Purchased At:   Georges Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Titus, Rosie

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2007

Strengths:    Well the plastic ones were comfortable for the 1 week they lasted.

Customer service sent me some new aluminum ones with only one email so I'd say the customer service is very good. That being said I did buy the originals and they did break right away, the right thing for them to do is send out a functional set.

The plastic ones I bought because they were light. The aluminum ones I haven't installed yet but they aren't that light. The design is comfortable so I'll probably put them on my commuter.

Weaknesses:    The plastic ones are too weak for mountain biking. Period.

The aluminum ones seem a little heavy.

Bottom Line:
Hmmmmm....

Thanks Serfas for the customer service.

Only get the aluminum ones and for those compare weight with normal bar ends.

Favorite Trail:   Rickards Pass

Similar Products Used:   Regular old bar ends on my old bike (before it got swiped.) I liked those bar ends :(

Bike Setup:   GF HiFi Deluxe

Submitted by Stefan Grotegut a Cross Country Rider from Basel, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely light, look cool - especially on riser bars, very helpful during riding (excellent for hand position change), inexpensive

Weaknesses:    maybe too much plastic, wouldn't fix them to a composite bar

Bottom Line:
I changed my flat bar to a rizer bar and then wasn't sure whether to put bar ends or not. Eventually I found these inexpensive bar ends, which still looked good at a rizer bar plus they had a very nice form and grip.
With two good allen wrenches I had no problems installing them (bike tools did not work), but had to tight them really hard (that's why I would probably not use them with a composite bar, although it would make a perfect match in terms of weight). I used them over two years and had never a problem with them even though I fell on some trails. Now, very awkwardly, the bike fell - when it was standing - on one of them and it easily broke...
I think I will try the aluminum version now and hope that they last longer.

I think they are great and maybe more for cross-country racers than extreme trail riders where the bike might fell more often (although I had no problems when falling at higher speeds!)

Favorite Trail:   Gempen

Purchased At:   VeloPlus

Similar Products Used:   old school bar ends

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS 1 w/ Rock Shox Reba

Submitted by sung moon a Weekend Warrior from slc,ut

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    light weight, very comfy and good control

Weaknesses:    broke two sets in three month.

Bottom Line:
This is good product when you try them on trail for the first time. Very light, good control, not exensive, and comfortable.
However, it won't last long. It'll break if you turn screw too tight, otherwise it's lose.
And it'll break when your bike fall sideways.

Similar Products Used:   ritchey wcs, control system, XLC,

Submitted by Douglas Ling a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA, U.S,

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    Low Profile; Light weight; cofortable

Weaknesses:    stripped the threads on one of the grips.

Bottom Line:
As a cross country rider, I love them. They are light weight and extremely comfortable on the climbs and level, smooth tracks. They are great to change up your hand position and relax your grip.

Favorite Trail:   Rothrock Forest

Purchased At:   Mt. Nittany Wheelworks

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Xcaliber

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Kapiti, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2006

Strengths:    Very comfortable! Great for cruising, great for climbing. Feels more natural than normal bars. Great non-slip rubber. Strong as heck. Protects shifters, computers when you tip the bike upside down.

Weaknesses:    None that ive come across, other than the install - you have to slide the brakes, shifters and grips across. But this is usual for adding bar ends!
Expensive (at least twice the price of all other bar ends on the shelf)

Bottom Line:
Awesome for XC. Ive purchased these for both of my bikes. By carefully tightening the allen bolts i have had no problem with the threads.
Very solid feeling and great fun to ride on. I use them all the time, wether out of the saddle or in it. Extremely natural feeling and comfortable.
Highly reccommended for XC! Just expensive, thats all.

Favorite Trail:   Mungatuks

Purchased At:   On yer bike

Similar Products Used:   flat handlebar

Bike Setup:   06 Avanti Lightning; 05 Specialized hardrock

Submitted by jonowee a Weekend Warrior from Perth, WA, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2004

Strengths:    Review for the new and current Stabilizer-AL model
- Should be stronger than the old plastic ones. Feels like it anyway.
- Ergonomic (works for me, maybe not for some)
- Pretty light
- I've been riding without gloves since using these, more stability on the climbs and flats (don't have to hold the grips as tight)
- Low profile

Weaknesses:    - Shape might freak some out.
- The Kraton grips gloves instead of the more 'slippery' metal bar ends and combined with the different hand position and gloves, so on some climbs to could induce some chafing within the glove.
Blame the gloves, they're not the most comfy glove I've used.
- Riding gloveless leaves black Kraton marks on my hands.

Bottom Line:
It's a barend.

Might work for you, might not, that will affect your rating of these product.

Purchased At:   AUD$23 at TBE Willetton

Similar Products Used:   Placing hands in a similar position as these barends.
- Titec Shorties

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from San Anselmo, CA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2004

Strengths:    Aluminum = Strong enough for bar ends

Weaknesses:    what the last guy said about making them specific for each side ... it doesn't really bother me though ... they did that so they would only have to make one peice over and over, not concentrate on making two different kinds for each package.

Bottom Line:
The aluminum version of these bar ends seem flawless. It's really easy to tighten these up without stripping the lining for the screw (like other people were complaining about with the plastic version). They're low profile and can't really hook onto trees or branches. I might consider taking them off before a technical trail since you won't be using them on the trail and they might break if you take a really nasty fall, but highly doubtful. I think your bones will break on a fall before these bar ends do.

Although I'm an XC racer, I'm more of a sprinter than a climber, but these put my arms in a more comfy position. Which makes it a bit easier to concentrate on pushing my self harder than where I should put my hands. Pretty fun to hammer up a small rocky climb with these too.

They cost just as much as the singletrack solution bar ends, 20 times more durable then them. And they're half as much as the cane creek ones while still looking and feeling just as good.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Springs / Rocky Ridge

Purchased At:   Sunshine bikes

Similar Products Used:   I looked into the cane creek ones (too expensive) and the singletrack solutions (too weak)

Bike Setup:   2004 C-dale Scalpel 2000 - basically, a full susser with XT and a lefty fork.

Submitted by Mo a Weekend Warrior from NY, NY

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    Hand positioning, strong, and inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    They should be made right and left specific, so the mounting nut doesn't hit you palm.

Bottom Line:
I bought the aluminum version, and have not had any problems with durability. They mounted easily, and I have adjusted them more than once (no problems with the mounting screws). I took a hard fall on concrete, and the bar end was the first part of the bike to hit the ground. When I got up I was certain that I had destroyed the bar end (and/or handle bar), but it was fine minus some scraps and dings.

These bar ends climb as well as, and control better that traditional bar ends.

I was contemplating buying the Crane Creek Ergo bar ends, but bought the Serfas instead due to them being priced so much lower. I've been happy with my choice.

Similar Products Used:   Profile bar ends

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F400

Submitted by Eric Bacon a Cross Country Rider from Truckee, CA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight, minimalist, look good.

Weaknesses:    Mounting screw stripped out during installation.

Bottom Line:
I had the same problem as all the other reviewers with the plastic bar ends. I contacted serfas customer service and they sent me the new aluminum bar ends, no questions asked. Excellent customer service. No problems with the new aluminum bar ends.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the ground

Purchased At:   Pacos

Bike Setup:   Kona Explosif more or less stock

Submitted by Eric B. a Cross Country Rider from Truckee, CA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Mounting screw stripped on installation

Bottom Line:
Same experience as all the others, but i will say that serfas has excellent customer service. i e-mailed them with the problem and they sent me a new set of the new aluminum bar ends, no questions asked. The aluminum bar ends are a lot heavier than the plastic, but hopefully they will last longer.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground

Purchased At:   Pacos

Bike Setup:   Kona Explosif

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight!

Weaknesses:    These things are a joke! I could not even take them out for one ride. Just like everyone said, they strip. The 3mm allen was sloppy from the get go and then when you tighten them, BAM--- STRIPED. I'm sorry I didn't read the reviews first. Oh well, $10 bucks down the tubes. I will probably spend more at home depot tring to find new hadware that will hold up to more then 1 ft pound of tourque!

Bottom Line:
Do not buy, unless you like bar ends that are not tight!

Purchased At:   REI