Profile Racing BRIEFS Bar End

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)

The original. One-piece design, cold-forged aluminum construction for sheer strength. Offset clamps maximize gripping surface and increase leverage for power in sprints and climbs.

Submitted by Scott Marshall a Weekend Warrior from Wasatch, UT

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, light, solid

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
Helps to move your weight forward when climbing, or to just change hand positions on a long ride. These bar ends are cheap, but solid. Easy to install and worth it. They help protect your digits and have saved my shifters/levers from additional damage.

Favorite Trail:   AF Canyon Trails

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   Giant VT - custom build

Submitted by james a Cross Country Rider from Castro valley ca

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2005

Strengths:    Great shape! Price is awesome. Quality is great, durable

Weaknesses:    Basically the same complaints as other riders. I have a polished set which do get slippery when wet, possibly due to finsh. If I were to redesign these barends, I would make sure they had a little bit more grip in case of wet conditions and the word Profile would be engraved or etched

Bottom Line:
Get them! They are great, if you buy the polished pair, use gloves when wet.

Purchased At:   Ace Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Onza L-bends

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar LE

Submitted by Brad Kattelmann a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2005

Strengths:    They work. Pretty much indestructible.

Weaknesses:    Not as light as some other options, specifically the Serfas.

Bottom Line:
These work awesome. I tried the Serfas bar ends for a bit, to see if I liked the feeling, but the Serfas didn't have it for me. Plus, the Serfas broke on me when I fell. I quickly put my Profile Designs back on and have not taken them off since. In fact, I presume they are still on the bike, but it was stolen two weeks ago.

These aren't for weight weenies, so I don't know if I will put them on my new bike or not.

Favorite Trail:   Apex Trail

Purchased At:   Sioux River Cyclery, Brookings, SD

Similar Products Used:   Serfas

Bike Setup:   Were on a '98 Trek 6000, but it was stolen.

Submitted by George F a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2005

Strengths:    Very light, strong, durable, looks sharp!

Bottom Line:
Very light, nice looking bar ends. Feels good and helps with up-hill climbs. Highly recommended!

Favorite Trail:   Sunview

Purchased At:   Award Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Onza

Bike Setup:   Marin Novato Triple Butted 7005 Aluminum Edge Tubed Frame, Mavic Crossrides, Bontrager Comfort K Hardcase Tires, Rock Shocks Jett 2, Kore Elite XC Comp Handlebars, Kore lite 3 Stem, Avid Arch Rival V-Brakes, Avid Speed Dial SD 2.0L Brake Levers, TruVativ 5D Crank, WTB Momentum Comp ST Headset, WTB Rocket V Saddle, Sette 7 APX seat post, Shimano XT Derailleurs, Cateye Wireless 7 computer, Profile briefs bar Ends, BLT mini-Doppler Light.

Submitted by bri a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, CA (Orange County)

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2004

Strengths:    - strong
- light enough
- perfect length and diameter
- excellent value
- aesthetic appeal
- comfortable finish / grip with or without gloves

Weaknesses:    - finish looks pretty nice (black) but not super durable .. I already got a nice scratch right through the paint before I got them home

Bottom Line:
Better than my old bar ends which I got tired of. These are just the right length and diameter, and even though the old ones were decent these ones fit me to a T. Had no problem installing, just had to take the proper time to adjust them "just right" -- ahhhhhh. Probably the best value I found for a cool set of bar ends out there. I recommend black but if you like the silver look then hey go for it. The boxers seemed a little long for my taste so I went for the briefs which are nice and compact and light enough not to notice them.

Would be interested in trying more of their products after this good experience! 5 flamin' chilis

Favorite Trail:   any dry one

Purchased At:   Performance Bike, Tustin CA

Similar Products Used:   - Icon Fatty McGee
- Profile Design Boxers
- whatever else was lying around the bike shop

Bike Setup:   '98 Trek 7000 ZX

Submitted by CL a Weekend Warrior from South Cal

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap, look nice and smooth, not too heavy. good griping surface, stronger than I expected.

Weaknesses:    black paint show scraches easy, but that might be the fact to all painted bar end

Bottom Line:
Great size and price, finish looks really smooth, give multiple grip positions than "brief" would implied. don't need to go oversize, this one will provide all you need for a bar end. Crashed my bike hard many times, never affect them at all (except scratches). Would get another one for new bike.

Favorite Trail:   Rock it

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Ascent (ugly and heavy)

Bike Setup:   Sugar 3

Submitted by Robert Thompson a Cross Country Rider from Leicester / Uk

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    so light they are weightless, they are curved nice as well.

Weaknesses:    they are smooth with no gnurled grips, so wet weather riding means you need gloves. It sounds silly but the profile logo wears off quickly making them appear unbranded.

Bottom Line:
bar ends are bar ends with no working parts, they should last forever.

Favorite Trail:   wants to go to iceland

Purchased At:   Broadribs, Oxfordshire, UK

Similar Products Used:   x-lite ski

Bike Setup:   Viper f-40 elite frame (www.woollyhatshop.com), wieniemen 512 rims, Panracer smoke, avid sd 2.0 brakes, shimano stx groupset, Bomber Z4's

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, Nebraska

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    They do the job. Good grip.

Weaknesses:    Not as light as Ti, or Fiber

Bottom Line:
I have used bar ends for 9 years. There are three things I look for: lightweight, good grip, medium length. These have it all. I currently have them on a Profile Fiber XC handlebar and have had no problems.

Bar ends are one of the least important items on a bike. Find something that you are comforable with. There is no sence sinking a bunch of money into this item.

If you use the polished silver ones, get some lizard skins.