Home | Reviews | Bar End | Onza

4.79/5 (85 Reviews)

Onza Barends

Submitted by Alexander Ortiz a Weekend Warrior from Long Pond, PA - USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2007

Strengths:    No one is making bar ends this good any more

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to chime in and alsa say that these are the best bar ends made. I recently saw a pair on eBay go for more than twice what I paid for them. I've had mine since I bought my Paramount new. I have the silver oones an they are little scuffed up but they still hold fast and look great. I'm going to put some bar tape on them to cushion them a bit and see how that works out.

If you find a pair for sale - BUY THEM.

Purchased At:   NYC, NY

Bike Setup:   1991 Paramount MTB

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    STRONG, comfortable, awesome clamp, good protection

Weaknesses:    No longer made

Bottom Line:
These really are the best bar ends ever. I agree with other reviewers - these things will protect your digits and will take the punishment so you dont have to. Super comfortable and did i mention Strong. Your bars will bend before these will - mine did. The weight is reasonable. I've had mine for 12 years and the only problem is deciding which bike to keep them on. I need to find another pair or three.

One thing I did (that improved the already awesome feel) was cut some GT aerobar rubber grips to fit these bars back in the day. That really improved grip, reduced vibration and satisfied those who like a fatter bar end.

Similar Products Used:   you name it! been there done that.

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, robust, comfortable, ergonomic, bombproof!

Weaknesses:    paint on black ones scratch off easily

Bottom Line:
Super cool oldskool with no good reason why not used today other than discontinued!

Recently stripped my old bike from 1992 down and found the L-shape ends, black and well scratched. Put on new bike and remembered how great they are for climbing. Great for change in hand position on flats for speed. Protect ya hands from branches on narrow tracks! (plus you can lean ya bike against a wall or on the floor without worrying about damage)

Downside= Riders who don't have a clue and have them tilted almost vertically which looks rediculous and serves no use!

Purchased At:   Too long ago to remember!

Similar Products Used:   Use, Scott, Profile

Bike Setup:   Hardtail; Merlin, R/Shox, XTR, Magura, SRAM, Easton XClite Carbon post&bar, Specialized saddle, SPD, Mavics, WTB, Yetigrips, Onzabar ends, Bontrager Race chainset.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Alhambra, CA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2005

Strengths:    BOMBPROOF! After a spectacular crash in a race I was inspired to write about these bar ends. I have used these for over 10 years on 4 different bikes. After numerous crashes, dumps, bumps and scrapes they are still rock solid even after I have busted 2 handlebars with them attached. These things have either come off securely attached to the handlebar fragment or been wrenched off from the impact completely intact while I limp away. They are scraped up quite a bit and the black anodized paint is worn away to expose a nice shiny aluminum finish but I can say hands down these are the best bar ends ever.
The End

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
If you can find them buy them. They provide many hand positions to relieve strain, provide huge amounts of leverage for climbing, will not move unless they are torn off, are bombproof, lightweight which is a plus for racing, and the "L" shape provides good protection from branches, rocks, small trees etc.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon

Purchased At:   Temple City Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Profiles, Zoom, Cane Creek

Bike Setup:   2002 Kona Caldera All Stock Except for:
Panaracer Fire XC Pros
Time Atac Pedals
Ritchey Flat Bars
Onza Barends

Submitted by Vi from valleyforge, pa

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2005

Strengths:    they look awesome, very durable, they dont budge.

Bottom Line:
I used to be a huge mountain biking enthusiast when i was younger, but haven't biked in 10 years. I recently visited my parents at home and found my old bike in the garage and decided to take it with me so I can once again get exercise through something I love doing. I've made it a hobby to refurbished my bike and in doing so I am falling in love with the sport all over again. From reading the posts below about how these Onza bar-ends have been discontinued I feel extremely lucky to still have the ones on I purchased over 10 yrs ago on my bike. They didnt rust (unlike my chain and some other components) and they are gripping my handle bar just as strong as day one. Performance wise they are phenominal, they protected my hands and speedometer from breakage in some rough crashes and makes me feel like i'm going faster when cruising at 25mph+ speeds. lol

Purchased At:   cape able

Bike Setup:   '94 haro extreme mtb

Submitted by NutsandBolts a Cross Country Rider from Saginaw,Tx,USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2005

Strengths:    They set the standard. They worked great and looked really cool back in the day. They were tough as nails, many a time I went down and these things saved the shifters and brake levers.

Weaknesses:    None/nothing.............they stopped making them.

Bottom Line:
These things were great. I bought mine back in the day and they saw usage on more than one bike. They worked like bar ends were supposed to. They provided additional hand placement and leverage when you needed it. I lost mine while tearing a bike down to replace the frame. I put em in a box and I believe they were discarded by accident. I searched high and low for those things. I replaced them with some Profile's and though these are good bar ends they do not compare to the Onza's. I eventually stopped using bar ends because I could not find anything comparable to the Onza bar end. They were a great product back in the day and for us XC'ers they would probably still sell pretty well today if they still made em. If you are a cross country rider and can find these nab em, you won't regret it. They were made like bike parts oughta be, simple, thought out and well made. They actually did what they were designed to do.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere there is dirt

Similar Products Used:   Profile and generic brands

Bike Setup:   2 full suspensions and 2 hardtails

Submitted by Don Moore a Cross Country Rider from Rhinebeck, NY

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, fit perfectly in the hand, and never move.

Weaknesses:    That they are no longer available

Bottom Line:
The simple fact that these bar ends are built with an upturn provides great grip and security, particularly out of the saddle. I just know that a rude bump won't launched me off these barends. I've used these Onza's for over ten years on two sucessive bikes and just bought a FS. Now what do I do?

Favorite Trail:   Ferncliff Forest

Purchased At:   ?

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher hardtail, Judy SL, XTR eight speed, WTC ti BB, White Industries cranks, Avid Single Digit Canti's.

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2004

Strengths:    Too much to list- how about the fact that nine years later I still rave about these onza barends!

Weaknesses:    They don't make them anymore and if they did you probably would have a hell of a time getting them in the US (if anyone from onza is reading this PLEASE MAKE MORE AND MAKE THEM AVAILABLE TO US!)

Bottom Line:
These are amazing, lightweight, and they never move. I have never even crimped a bar with them. They have taken direct impacts into trees, concrete, bricks, fences, pedestrians (sorry). I have given these more abuse than any other bike part I have ever owned, and I have broken a lot of bike parts (including handlebars). They continue to live to tell the tale. I just wish onza would continue making parts readily available for the us market. I would be willing to pay a lot more for another pair of these!

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Lots of other stuff, nothing as nice as these

Bike Setup:   04 GF HKEK w/ everything upraded, still running my onza barends (third bike)

Submitted by Shane Morgan a Weekend Warrior from Carbon Hill, AL

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Strengths:    They are invicible. 2nd bike in 5 years they've been on.
Strong, Light (noone metions how light they are...funny), and they NEVER move, at all. #1 barend of all time!!! There I said it.

Weaknesses:    The fact that the company doesn't make them anymore is the only weakness I have found. I want another pair!

Bottom Line:
You will not find these in stores anymore (if so, snatch em' up then go thank God in steadfast prayer for about a week that you found a pair) but if you could, you wouldn't be hard pressed to find a better barend. I have the shorter model, but I have small hands, so they are PERFECT for me , and make the ride 10x better! Never BUDGE! EXTRA LIGHT!!! I give it 5 Flaming Monkey Brains!

Favorite Trail:   Munny Sokel, Tuscaloosa... close by

Purchased At:   Cycle Path

Similar Products Used:   Lucked up and bought these as my first serious pair. Never used anything else. How's that for a reference point? HeHe..

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000, Kore 3D stem, Onza barends, Cateye Enduro2 'puter, Cane Creek Suspension Seatpost

Submitted by Sean Dowling a Cross Country Rider from Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    Strong and sleek

Weaknesses:    Don't make them any more

Bottom Line:
THEY ROCK!!! I wish I still had em'. I put them on a friends bike that I was using, because mine was trashed, and never took them off. I have since lost contact with the friend and the RAW 110's, but I know they are in good hands. Grab a pair if you can find them!

Favorite Trail:   Double Dare

Purchased At:   Flee Market

Similar Products Used:   generic and friends bar ends

Bike Setup:   hard tail bianchi now deceased, but not forgotten sitting in pieces in my closet

Submitted by jasong a Cross Country Rider from duncanville, tx

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2002

Strengths:    I have the ti versions. Had to watch ebay for monthys and months to get them. They're onza's

Weaknesses:    aren't made anymore and have to buy used

Bottom Line:
love em, searched for em, found em, bought em