LP Composites Barends Bar End

4.71/5 (55 Reviews)

LP Carbon Fiber Barends

Submitted by Gerr a Cross Country Rider from Denver and Atlanta

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2007

Strengths:    Review is for LP Composite Anatomic "Grips"
Anatomic design is wonderful. Light and strong. Also, durable going on 3 years no problems. Great company also.

Weaknesses:    I had to really try for this weakness: I wish the had a second clamp for angular pivot.

Bottom Line:
This review is an update to a 2004 review. I now have them on three different bikes. When set up correctly; (turned way down, instead of sharply angled up) these are the closest thing to having a hand molded ortho bar end. (Which would be similar to foot molded orthodics for running shoes) A great product that makes every ride more comfortable and stress free on my hands and wrists.(Helping to prevent hand vibration syndrome and carpal tunnel syndrome.) Helps eliminate numbness. Also try with the Ergon racing grips for a complete ergo solution to protect your digits.

Favorite Trail:   Deer Creek

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   20 years of various bar ends.

Bike Setup:   Blur/Reba Platnum /Xtr (6 " rotor Mech. Avids) /Spinergy PBO Disc. Trek Top Fuel Team Issue with a similar build. Trek Team Hardtail carbon.

Submitted by Jeff Parker a Cross Country Rider from 3407 Edgemont Drive

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    Outstaninding looks, very comfortable, well made, light and strong.

Weaknesses:    Relatively expensive.

Bottom Line:
These allow multiple positioning of hands, which may not mean much to some people, but prior to their use my left hand would tingle after riding 6-7 miles. This no longer occurs. While expensive, the ergonomic shape is more comfortable than the cheaper aluminium bar ends, and much more comfortable. Try them, you'll like them. Highly recommend the Ebay LP composite group.

Favorite Trail:   Cap Rock Canyon

Purchased At:   LP Factory Seconds - Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Aluminium bends.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500, upgraded WTB sport seat, Shimano 540 pedals, upgraded tired.

Submitted by Gerr a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2004

Strengths:    Review is for LP Composite Anatomic "Grips"
Anatomic design is wonderful.

Weaknesses:    Makes you wonder how much more comfortable they could be if they had dual bolts for horizontal as well as vertical adjust.

Bottom Line:
Review is for LP Composite Anatomic "Grips"
When set up correctly; (turned way down, instead of sharply angled up) these are the closest thing to having a hand molded ortho bar end. (Which would be similiar to foot molded orthodics for running shoes) A great product that makes every ride more comfortable and stress free on my hands and wrists. Helps eliminate numbness.
Note: MTBR.Com needs a review listing for them with the correct name. I can review them 5 stars!!!!!
Gerry Hulme
Atlanta, Ga.

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   17 years of various bar ends.

Bike Setup:   Blur/Reba Platnum /Xtr (7 " rotor Mech. Avids) /Spinergy PBO Disc.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Portola Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Strengths:    Very comfortable and ergonomic, gorgeous, LIGHT!

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:

This reveiw is for the new "GRIPS" ergonomic grips.

I got these as factory 2nds together with the LP Composites flat bar for $75 on EBay - thats a great deal. Buy from Stu Fisher, who works at LP Composites. If you don't see what you want listed on EBay, send him an e-mail at inquiries@lpcomposites.com and ask him if he has any factory seconds.... he's a really nice guy and he'll send you an e-mail when he has something.

The bar ends and handle bar that I got had VERY minor cosmetic flaws, but you hardly notice them and they are structurally sound.

These bar ends feel great in your hands. Just grab on and hammer when your climbing. I used to have aluminum bar ends with uncomfortable edges. These are not only smooth, but since they are not metal, they don't get so cold in the winter.

They also look fabulous!

Favorite Trail:   Razor Back Ridge at night

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Normal aluminum bar ends

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur '03 Ano Blue with Fox AVA R rear shock, RockShox Duke XC U-Turn front shock Mavic Crossmax Wheelset ('02), Hutchison Python Lite Tires with Stan's, Sram 9.0 & X.9, LP Composites carbon flat bar & bar ends, Cane Creek S-Pro Headset, Thomson stem & seatpost, CrankBros Candy S pedals, Truvativ Stylo Team crankset.

Submitted by charly quintana a Weekend Warrior from Kuwait

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Strengths:    Very cute and light, STRONG, feel so right with my grip

Weaknesses:    a bit pricey

Bottom Line:
I've got this nasty fall last two months ago, I am covered with bruises and scratches, but my LP barends who danced cheek to cheek with the dirt road amazingly got a small superficial nick to its top end, both of them (now that's what I call symmetry). I can't say anything about it but the word STRONG. It's attached to an Easton CT2 handlebar which most riders will say, very vulnerable yet both of them stay in a very good condition and most of all save my bike frames from being damage. Maybe there is a good chemistry between this two carbon products.

Favorite Trail:   Safat to Doha(45Km of Dessert and muddy Trail)

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   none so far

Bike Setup:   modified Cannondale SilkTrail2000, XT/LX, Coda SeatPost, Easton CT2 Handlebar and LP Junior Braid Bar Ends.

Submitted by Peter from Laramie, WY

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2000

Strengths:    Fit well in the hand when seated, light weight, good looks

Weaknesses:    Breakable, shape of handle bites into palm when standing, relatively expensive

Bottom Line:
I've managed to break two pairs of these barends -- okay, one had to do with a garage, a car, and lack of sleep -- but that's all that I'm saying about that. The second barend broke due to a crash -- nothing special. The carbon fiber split and pulled away from the aluminum clamp. The fit in the hand when seated is great. But as soon as you stand and put pressure down through your hands, the thinnish top of the barend bites in and puts undo pressure on your palm, even when wearing a pair of padded gloves. My current barend is actually the cut off version of the first pair I wrecked. They're a short, stubby, one-hand position barend and I find that they're great for climbing, whether seated or standing. I'l try and find a light, less expensive, better shaped, and tougher set the next time I need a barend.

Favorite Trail:   the one that I'm on

Similar Products Used:   Answer, Tioga

Bike Setup:   Soft-tail

Submitted by Pal a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2000

Strengths:    Cool and ergonomic.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
These bar ends are made to fit the human hand, which means easier gripping. If you buy them you will not regret - no questions. I got mine for 49.00 at CBO. Furthermore they look cool but performance is more important.

Favorite Trail:   Birkebeinerrittet

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Coda, Profile, Titec.

Bike Setup:   Giant MCM Team with the best carbon and titan components money can buy.

Submitted by Graham a Weekend Warrior from Bothell, WA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, look great, good clamp, great ergonomic shape.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Since I bought the Team LP's over a year ago, they haven't had a single fault. Despite bumping into trees on narrow singletrack, a negligent bus driver scraping them on a metal door, and one or two endos, they remain structurally sound (with a few scratches though). I expected them to break when i crashed or bumped a tree with them, something that happened to a pair of Control Tech's I used to have. The clamp on the LP's is quite strong, and can be tightened as much as I want, even with my slick and slightly-too-small Thermo bar.
Additionally, their shape feels great in my hands, and they don't freeze your fingers like metal bar ends. They're well worth the 20 bucks extra over CWA's or any other aluminum bar end.

Purchased At:   The Bike Co.

Similar Products Used:   Onza CWA, Control Tech Team Issue

Bike Setup:   S-Works M2 HT.

Submitted by Merritt a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Strengths:    Look great. Feel great. Light. Tough.
Did I mention that they match my bike?

Weaknesses:    A little slippery when wet.

Bottom Line:
I love 'em.

I commute dailu on this bike during the week (w/ semi-slicks), and hit the single-track whenever I can. I have yet to wipe out on pavement with these ends. A few scratches from letting the bike fall over while tending to tea parties, but nothing to complain about.

On the other hand, I've had my fair share of spills on the trail, including a spectacular over-the-handlebars-to-gracefully-standing-on-both-feet-but-watch-out-for-that-rear-wheel-flying-at-the-back-of-your-head endo. They've held up just fine.

I'm planning on getting the matching bar this weekend.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mtn./Preston

Similar Products Used:   Onza alum.

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche LE w/ Judy SL

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Evanston, IL USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2000

Strengths:    Superb feel (ergonomics)
Ultra light weight
Way cool looks

Weaknesses:    expensive
will scratch

Bottom Line:
Once you wrap your hands around these, you won't want to go back to metal ends, regardless of the shape. The molded construction allows them to change the shape and diameter along the entire grip, and it feels like its custom made for my hands. If you like a beefy grip, buy the Braids, which also allow a nice stretch-out position if you grip them on top. The braids jr's are my choice (I used both) because of the comfortable curved shape, and the fact that they are not too short, like some ultra-lights which don't have room for all of your fingers. LP stands behind their products, and took care of me when I had a problem.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race Lite
Specialized Dirt Rodz

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR Elite, Bontrager Race Lite bar (use the reinforcers), Judy xc double crown, fox Air Vanilla R on rear.

Submitted by robert a Cross-Country Rider from Jersey

Date Reviewed: December 26, 1999

Strengths:
Light, comfortable

Bottom Line:
Light, strong, very comfortable, hold up well with repeated thrashing against trees.

Round Valley

6 months

Submitted by watson a Weekend Warrior from charlotte, nc

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1999

Strengths:
Extremely comfortable
Light weight
Durable

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
This is quite possibly the best set of barends available. The price may look steep, but they're well worth it. All the reviews praising these ends are right on.
As to their ability to withstand abuse, they've held up better than all the alum. ends I've used. The key is to not over-tighten so that they move instead of break on impact. When I took a 30 mph digger into a rock garden from hell this past weekend, the ends just rotated up about 15 degrees and survived much better than I did.
Check out Jenson.com for sale pricing...

Dickey Bell

3 months

Profile, Tomac, etc.

GT XCR2000, Fox FLOAT R, Marz Z3, LP DH bar

Submitted by TDAC a Cross-Country Rider from Alameda, CA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1999

Strengths:
TOTALLY ERGONOMIC

Weaknesses:
None so far

Bottom Line:
These bar ends are so form fitting to the human hand, which means easier gripping when climbing hills. Once you grab them, you'll want some - no questions. I got mine for 54.00 at JensonUSA.com. I won't say they look cool because who gives a sh*t how they look - performance is more important.

Stevens Creek Trail

less than 1 month

Coda paquito (these are nice too)

Kestrel Rubicon SX, Atom80, Syncros riser bar, seatpost, stem, King headset, raceface crankset, Spinergy spox wheels.

Submitted by Jeff a Racer from Raleigh

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1999

Strengths:
light, comfortable, tough

Weaknesses:
slippery when wet

Bottom Line:
These are great! They fit your hands perfectly and are just the right size to provide a couple of different hand positions without being too big.

1 Year

many

Submitted by c simon a Cross-Country Rider from Houston - Texas

Date Reviewed: May 9, 1999

Strengths:
Extremely comfortable. Extremely light weight, and great looking. These are excellent barends

Weaknesses:
I cannot find any at all. These are by far the best Barends on the market

Bottom Line:
These are by far the best barends on the market. I have tried several and the LP are the most comfortable, and easy to work with and climb bareends I have tried. They do cost extra but it is well worth is. If you can find these things on sale at one of the mail order shops I highly suggest getting yourself a set. You will not regret it.

Ant Hills (West Houston)

6 months

NYTRO(Nytex), Control Tech, Stubs, Fish Stixs Etc.....

Full Suspension with LP Composites 27.2 seatpost, and LP flat BE-5 Handlebar.

Mounting barends next to stem question...

I do some road training with my 29er in the summer and would like to incorporate some barends near my stem to stretch out a bit and add another position. I currently have Ergon grips with Cane Creek bar ends mounted on a 25.4mm Salsa Al riser mtb handlebar. Just outside the stem clamp area the han ... Read More »

Carbon Bars and Barends

Is it ok to use barends on carbon bars?Read More »

orgin8 drop barends

I picked up a set of the orgin8 dropends I installed them on my flat bars and have ridden with them for a couple weeks, have to say the extra position is a nice addition to the grips and barends I already have, well worth the $ 20 spot. give them a try if you have ever though about drops. Starting ... Read More »

Wider vs. Barends

I've done a search on here and read a couple threads already but nothing covered my dilemma one hundred percent. Was running a Ritchey 580mm flat bar. Went back to my 660 1.5" riser bar (Sette cheapo stuff that looses its paint if a moth lands on it). On a short commute uphill the riser bar was more ... Read More »

KCNC Barends

Well, I got a few late Christmas presents yesterday (from myself). My new barends arrived. I realize that the vast majority of you folks out there don't use barends and prefer wider bars but I guess I am just old school. In any case I have been running Cane Creeks for years now and the ergonomics ... Read More »