Control Tech Carbon Stumpy Bar End

Reach: 78mm
Weight: 75g/pair
Lightweight and minimalist design, ideal for cross-country racing.

Submitted by Milwaukeehaze a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, comfortable, great looking especially on my carbon FS bike.

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far except for the price.

Bottom Line:
These bare ends are definitely lightweight and feel very comfortable especially on those epic rides where you need to constantly change hand positions. I really don't know what the other 2 reviewers were saying because I have them mounted on my Easton EC70 carbon handlebar and they have caused no problems at all. I even use them for leverage on those tough climbs and they haven't caused any problems to my carbon bar. The problem could be improper torque when mounting them. I only torqued them enough that they wouldn't turn on the bar. Just make sure not to tighten them too much or have your LBS put them on.

I also think they are very comfortable, but that may just be a personal thing with different riders. The only thing is they could be cheaper.

Favorite Trail:   All of them!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   control tech aluminum bar ends & cane creek ergo bar ends.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS Composite 2 with everything upgraded except for Fox fork and Fox rear shocks.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2005

Strengths:    Looks cool, light

Weaknesses:    Just not comfortable..

Bottom Line:
Used them once, hate 'em. I am used to a bar end with a right angle that I can rest my hands on and really get forward when going on vertical climbs. The Stumpy just did not work out in any way, shape, or form.

I do LOVE my old Control Tech Ti Stix though, am going to put them back on the bike and climb some super steep stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Control Tech Ti Stix

Submitted by Kyle a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    The clamp on these bar ends is NOT compatible with carbon bars, contrary to what is listed on Easton's website.

Bottom Line:
The jury is still out on these, they seem comfortable but I haven't had time to ride much on them.

I'm a bit unhappy about the non-carbon freindly clamp design-- these things are expensive, weigh virtually nothing, but shouldn't be combined with a nice lightweight carbon bar. I don't plan on letting that stop me though, I am going to reinforce the ends of a Easton carbon bar and slap them on.

Three chilis so far, I'll revise this later after some riding, but I thought it worth the time to warn people about the clamp design.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist