Control Tech Bar End Bar End

4.57/5 (54 Reviews)

Control Tech Bar End

Submitted by csmac2004 a Cross Country Rider from Kamloops, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Strengths:    Very lightweight, durable, look great!

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
The bottom line? The bottom line is SIMPLE! I've been using these barends since 1995!!! Sure, they have some scratches, but they've outlived 1 bike and countless other components that I have replaced in the last 15 years!!! I'm now 250lbs, and these bar ends are as strong as ever. No stress marks, no bending. They are straight and true, and yet extremely lightweight. These are a NO BRAINER! Best bar ends you can get!

Favorite Trail:   Peterson's Creek

Purchased At:   Nashbar (online)

Similar Products Used:   Other bar-ends

Bike Setup:   Front shock, hardtail XC, aluminum frame

Submitted by STEVE CAIRNS a Cross Country Rider from PERTH SCOTLAND

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2003

Strengths:    BEST BARENDS I HAVE EVER USED. STRONG WITH A GOOD CLAMP. GOOD KNURELED GRIP.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
BEST BARENDS OUT THERE. BRING BACK CONTROL TECH TO THE U.K.

Purchased At:   J.M. RICHARDS PERTH

Similar Products Used:   X-LITE STUBBY PRO- ENGLISH MADE, POOR CLAMP AND ALLEN KEY THAT ROUNDS

Submitted by Michael Reagan a Weekend Warrior from Burbank

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2001

Strengths:    They feel really good in your hands.I tape up my bar ends like you would on a road bike.

Weaknesses:    HURTS LIKE HELL!!!! WHEN YOU SLAM YOUR KNEE INTO THE SCREW/CLAMP PART OF THE BAR END. I THOUGHT TURNING THE SCREW AROUND WOULD HELP. HELL NO!! 3-WEEK AND MY KNEE STILL HURTS. I GOT BOTH KNEES SMASHED AND SWITCHED OVER TO A MY OLD ONZA'S.

Bottom Line:
I'm sure these are great bar ends.But if you have long legs,
I'm 6'4" watch your knees. If your little go for it. I know that if they changed there mount,I would buy another set.
(-2 chilis) one for each knee.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that pumps my heart.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Johns

Similar Products Used:   Onza (better clamping) same feel

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Super w/Manitou v-vert super,Hayes cable disc, all XT and Tiogas Factory fatt66 DH 2.1's :-)
(set up for xc/freeride)

Submitted by Hans Jefferson a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2000

Strengths:    strong...ive endo'd into loads of rocks and stumps to know that these will hold up...there is none of that sissy shattering that you hear with Titec...
They look dam good..

Weaknesses:    the finish scratches but who gives a F*

Bottom Line:
If you need bar ends and just want them to help here and there... these are cheap and simple they are a good grip and take punishment...i would -no am recommending them to everyone i kno that rides...i mean you can find these for 15 bucks...you cant even by a f*in steak for 15 bucks. 5 chili's all around

Favorite Trail:   Wouldnt you like to know?

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   um...my handelbars??

Bike Setup:   2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3, LX, LX, XT. Bontrager Comp cranks, Bontrager Superstock Wheelset, TIME ATAC Thermoplastic, Marzocchi z2 atom sport

2000 Gt outpost (my around town bike, 4 u see i cant drive....), RST 381 cl, Crap/Crap/Crap that broke setup, TIME ATAC thermoplastic. and ill bet you it is a toys r us wheelset and a toys r us crank...

Submitted by T-Bone a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Strengths:    Knurled surface RULES over smooth
L-bend inspires confidence over ski-bend
Light weight for a welded L-bend

Weaknesses:    Finish scratches VERY easily (yeah, I know it's just cosmetic...)

Bottom Line:
I have the Team Issue model and they are the BEST bar ends around in my opinion. I'd never pay over 30 bones for ends and these were the only ones I could find with the specs I wanted: knurled surface for grip, welded L-bend for confidence on washboards and for anti-tree hook protection, 150 g or less (these weigh-in at 140).

The finish scratches very easily, but I had to scrounge for even that insignificant negative.

Purchased At:   Mojo Wheels (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Trek

Bike Setup:   built-up Specialized Ground Control w/Titec Enduro bar

Submitted by ray dwayne a Racer from hillsboro TN

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2000

Strengths:    light strong cheap

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
these are cool barends. They held up and offered many hand positions

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   ibis barends

Submitted by lcunnion a Weekend Warrior from usa

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1999

Strengths:
beautiful - make my bike look like a monster.well formed for my hands.the matte finish really feels comfortable

Weaknesses:
what are you talking about? i love 'emwait a minute - there is one problem: they are absolutely cold to touch when riding in the fall/winter without gloves.and my girlfriend's dog did chew up one of the endcaps while i had my back turned - so they don't fit that well... but who's to blame for that?

Bottom Line:
great for me... i love the feel - it solid. i believe i have the chubby (it looks like d). they're reasonably priced too at $20-$25.

6 months

i'm not even sure...
but most other ones i've tried are anodized - a texture that i'm not quite as fond of.

specialized flat handlbar.
oury grips
xt thumbshifters (a beautiful shifter to have with bar-ends)

Submitted by David a Cross-Country Rider from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1999

Strengths:
Fairly light
Knurled handles
Strong
Looks good

Weaknesses:
Not Superlight

Bottom Line:
I've been using the bar ends for over 4 years now without problems. I've had my share of crashes but the barends have held up. The knurled handles are great, especially if you ever ride in the rain. The Team Issue barends are fairly light (160g), but it could be lighter. Still, for $25, you can't go wrong. 5 Chilis!

more than 3 years

Steel Univega, Judy XC w/ Englund TAC, Full XT

Submitted by Jon David Forrester a Cross-Country Rider from Duluth, GA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 1999

Strengths:
simple, light, practical design, inexpensive.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I believe bar-ends should be simple and functional and the Control Tech fits the bill. It has a rough surface for easy grip, is inexpensive, and is not over-designed like the Answer bar-ends. A great product.

Rage in the Sage

more than 3 years

Titec, Answer Hyperends

Submitted by KC a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1999

Strengths:
Short - who says size matters

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I did not think that I would like a bar end on my riser bars but I was wrong. Grab these baby's and climb!!

6 months

Lots

Cannondale F900
Bontrager Corw Riser Bar

Submitted by Sean Stodelle a racer from Yucaipa, CA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

First, let me get something out in the open. I race XC, so I guess you could call me a weight-weenie. I used to use one piece bar/bar-ends primarily for lighter weight. I tred using just a straight bar, but we all know that nothing beats having other hand position options.Well, I made the change to an ESP 9.0sl set and low and behold, my shifters wouldn't fit on my one-piece bars.A friend of mine (he's also a weight-weenie) told me about the Control Tech Stumpies. He got some after trying some of the other brands of short/lite bar-ends which never even lasted a week of training rides. I bought some and boy was I impressed. Yes they are small, but they are lite. I put them on and WOW! Not only are they just as light as my one-piece set-up, but they look much better and are a heck of a lot stronger than a 1-piece set-up.I hate using bolt-on bar-ends, but the Stumpies are the ticket.

Submitted by IDOG a cross-country rider from MD

Date Reviewed: September 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well i guess if ure over 180lbs u shouldnt be using these POS
could see stress marks on the just from going over some rough sections with my hands on them, and i have a front suspension fork
WHATs up with That?!?
neways im gonna see how they are at replacing them under warranty maybe
until then get somthing stronger itll be worth it

Submitted by Robert Rogers a cross-country rider from Grand Rapids, Michigan

Date Reviewed: August 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have the Control Tech team bar ends (letter D in the picture). These bar ends are one of the best i have ever put on one of my bikes. Light, does not loosen with use, and attaches with little or no time!So nice, i put them on my wife's bike also. heheVisit my MTB page!

Submitted by Bez a weekend warrior from Southampton UK

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

Great for big-handed people. And try breaking them. Go on, get yer big Breaking
Mallet out. You can't. Jump on em. Go on, you're not hard enough! They're comfy,
they sit on yer bars and perform an end function. And they carry on doing it.
Who cares if the clamp is 1 1/8 wide, it's worth it so they stay put. Cool.

Submitted by jochen a cross-country rider from Austria

Date Reviewed: June 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

a real good product -- I like that simple design, the rough non-slippery surface of my control stixI - I don´t understand why other reviewers managed to break them, my former pair of control stix was bent in a terrrible crash, but they didn´t break - I´m really satisfied with the products of ControlTech, they offer a good price to quality ratio

bar end lights - is there any point ?

i don't think i see the point in these lights - is there ? if i was going to get some for my MTB it would probably be these ( Trek Beacon ) : [url]http://revolutioncycles.com/images/library/large/trek_402908_08_m.jpg[/url] because they're designed for MTB bar ( LED aimed sideways instead of ... Read More »

Bar end lights / blinkers

I just bought bar end lights to enhance my night riding visibility. I saw these when I rode with a friend who has a set during one night ride. I was amazed at the complete profile of the bike can be seen even from afar. It's like navigational lights for boats. Drivers can see exactly where the bike' ... Read More »

XTR10spd Dynasys RD-M981 Rear Derailleur with Dura Ace 10spd SL-BS79 Bar end Thumbie

So I'm building a fatbike in preparation for some Alaskan Winter riding and want to use a Dura-Ace 10spd SL-BS79 bar end shifter I have mounted to a Paul Components Thumbie. I also have a never used XTR 10spd Dynasys RD-M981 rear derailleur laying about but I am aware of the issues involving the dyn ... Read More »

Shimano Dyna-sis 10speed mtb front and rear with bar end shifters.

Hi guys, hope some of you can help me out here... Im looking to set up a drop bar mtb, intend to use the Retroshift CXV brake/shifters combo to a 2x10 XT Dyna-sis front and rear d/ cassette/ crank.. The good guy from Retroshift so far is unable to confirm if the CXV will be compatible to the c ... Read More »

Paul Thumbie / Dura-Ace bar end shifter question

Can anyone help me? I'm struggling to fit some used Dura-Ace 9 speed bar end shifters to a set of Paul Thumbies. I suspect the lever boss cover (part number 643 4300) has been altered, which is preventing the cable lining up properly with the fitting in the thumbie mount. Can anyone tell me exact ... Read More »