Home | Reviews | Bar End | CODA

4.8/5 (25 Reviews)

Coda XYZ Barends

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Carmichael, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Strengths:    Unlimited comfortable hand positions. Seem relatively light. Curious greyish/greenish color is very unconventional but goes very well with XTR stuff.

Bottom Line:
These look kind of strange when you first see them but they are so much more comfortable than straight and l-bend barends. It seems like they fit your hands perfectly no matter where you grab them. And here's another use for them... I commute to work on my mountainbike so I took my XYZs and moved them inboard of my brake levers and shifters. They make great spinaccis (ask a roadie or look on the list of UCI banned products for road racing). I can cruise with my hands near the stem very comfortably and really tuck in and go if I want. XYZs are terrific.

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Regular straight and l-bend barends

Bike Setup:   C-dale HARDtail.

Submitted by Lam Henry a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2000

Strengths:    Beautiful contour.
Light

Bottom Line:
It gives a very comfortable grip at which ever portion
of the bar. Bar length is just right for cruising or climbing up with body positioned to take advantage of aerodynamics.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F1000SL

Submitted by Carson Wick a Cross-Country Rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1999

Strengths:
These are durable, light enough not to notice, and have a great overall feel.

Weaknesses:
Scratches

Bottom Line:
These are the best barends I have ever tried. The sratching isn't really a problem. If it bugs you just take an ultra fine sharpie permenant marker and fill in the scratches. Overall great product.

6 months

Cheap Crap

K2 Beast 5 front and back

Submitted by Yogi Hybo a weekend warrior from Sunshine Coast Australia

Date Reviewed: January 18, 1999

Bottom Line:

These CODA bar ends rule. They have a great shape and nice texture, and clamp on to my bar real good. The black color looks cool and goes with my bike. I be buying more CODA stuff if its all this good. Don't buy any other bar, these are all u will need!

Submitted by Gooch a cross-country rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had my XYZs for about three years now and they are just great. I've tried other barends and they just don't have the many comfortable positions that XYZs have. XYZs are a simple perfect product... ok maybe not perfect, but darn close.

Submitted by Zane a weekend warrior from ID

Date Reviewed: December 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

I stripped out the Onza Bar ends that I had, and could not find any to replace them. At my LBS, I ran across the XYZ bars, and thought I would try them. Normally, I like a bar end that wraps around the front of the bar, avoid the tree hook throw. Well, after about 400 miles on the XYZ's I have to say I don't miss my Onza's anymore. Multiple hand positions, they allow you to stretch out more. I will have to give them 4, still miss the wrap around that the Onza's have.

Submitted by James a weekend warrior from Paterson NJ Providence RI

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I love 'em. I have the little shorties. I think they go by a different name this year os something. One of the plusses, the cool sandblasted grip. It feels great. The only problem is that it wears off pretty easily. I managed to scratch them before I got them out on the trail. They ran me about 30 bucks and theya re much more comfortable than the stock issue barends that I had. +5 for comfort -1 for scratchability

Submitted by Steve a cross-country rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: December 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have a set of the original XYZ design (so-called, because they have
bends along all three cartesian planes). These bar ends are a full 13
long -- but weigh only 220g/pair -- negligible when one considers the near-
limitless hand positions these bar-ends afford. I use them when
riding dirt, pavement, Snow Summit, the Solvang Century (with the lengths
as they are, I can grap the very tips and make like Mr. 700c for those
extended rides on blacktop), etc with absolutely no hand/wrist problems.
Five habaneros for a funky looking, functionally outstanding set of 'ends.

Submitted by Mike a cross-country rider from NC

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

These barends rock. I find that they offer several hand positions. You can cruise down a fire road or go up a hill with the perfect grip. I have really big hands so the extra long barends are really handy. Kudo's to CODA for making such a good barend.

Submitted by Tony a cross-country rider from New York baby!

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Coda really made a great product with these bad boys let me tell ya. I bought em 4 months ago(thanks to these reveiws)and I have put these little darlings through HELL!!! They have never EVER disappointed me,I've scratched them but that's cause I'm the king of Pain(I fall a lot). The thing I luv the most about these beutiful works of art is their ergonomics,after countless hours of riding these sure are a welcome relief to your wrists. As far as weight goes they are so light you wont feel any diffrence once their on, these are the best $25 bucks I have dished out on my bike. Dont settle for less buy Buy BUY! This coming from a man who doesnt buy anything new for his bike until the stock peice falls off! And wouldnt even consider rating anything unless it really REALLY impressed me. GOD bless you Coda
GOD bless you one and all
for manufacturing such
a great product! :)

Submitted by Eric a weekend warrior from Johnson City, TN

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

Instead of the XYZ, get the CODA Babu II. They have the same finish and color as the XYZ, but they are shorter. Shorter equals less weight (only 99 grams). They still have a slight bend to them, while other light weight barends seem to be perfectly straight. Also, there is no question about durability -- after a major endo where the bar end landed first, my Titec 118 handlebar had a crimp in it, but the bar end was perfectly fine.

Submitted by Sticky a cross-country rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: October 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

For some reason (see my Dream Bike) I thought these were called Babus, until I actually came to this review and saw the picture. Mine are covered with Lizard Skins so I had to take a second look. This is them and they rock. I thought Onzas kicked butt, but these kick Onza's butt! My wrists always got numb on the Onzas on long rides, but they don't on these. The Coda bar rocks! I love that flat-black finish! I got the Lizard Skins b/c I'm in Michigan and we get lots of snow and I was anticipating cold. Lizard Skins are awesome too. Now any other parts I get have to be black to match. I am only giving them five burning ferrets, because I haven't reviewed enough stuff, I don't have that much experience. But these rule!

Submitted by Randy a weekend warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

Just got Coda XYZ super shorties... Having only had Giant L-bend type before, I can't make too many claims (except the Giants are weak). BUT... these Codas seem AWESOME! They look killer (flat black with ergonomic shape)... They feel PERFECT - great fit on the hand, no increased pressure spots like on the straight tubing of usual barends. And they are quite grippy. They are light too! My Klein dealer was disappointed to see Codas on my Mantra, but these seem worth the $30 and I love em. Only concern is that they seem like they may catch trees easy, but I like the look and feel of a barend w/o the big bend. My mini gripe: for $30 I think they could throw in a pair of handlebar plugs.

Submitted by Liao a weekend warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

These work fine, but their ergonomic shape doesn't really help on long, arduous climbs. My hands felt uncomforatble during my first long ride with them, but since then I've had now problems.
They got scratched in a few crashes; other than that, they're fairly durable. Coda bar ends are pretty counter-trendy; companies are starting to make short, stubby ones, but get these anyway because they cost less than twenty dollars.

Submitted by Scott a cross-country rider from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I went shopping without reading the reviews. After inspecting the wide assortment of bar ends at my LBS, I picked these for their ergonomics. After many months, I'm still really happy with them. They're so comfortable and give me a great choice of hand positions. Several crashes, and they're holding up great.