Cane Creek Ergo Control II Bar End

4.83/5 (24 Reviews)
Weight : 175 grams/pair MSRP : $50.98

Quite possibly the most ergonomic Bar End out there, The Cane Creek Ergo Control II's not only feel great to hold, they grip palms and gloves when wet. Making them perfect for climbing in damp climates or those sweaty climbs during the hottest part of the day.In a nice case of cross-platform compatibility, the Ergo Contril II's are not only compatible with traditional grips, but with ODI Lock-On grips as well. For reduced weight, they are constructed from aluminum, composites, and rubber. The aluminum spine and composite support skeleton offer stiffness, while the rubber surface dampens chatter.

Submitted by Gumbi4Prez

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2014

Strengths:    Multiple hand positions.

Bottom Line:
Recently installed these after being away from bar ends for twelve years. What was I thinking? The shape and feel of these is great. Like how they place the center of the bar in palm of hand. Helps open up your chest to breath. Good leverage for climbing. Also nice to stretch out a little by placing hands on the tips on level open areas. Helping to relieve soar, tired muscles. Screw the fashion police, I'm getting to old to care.

Submitted by rufio a Weekend Warrior from VA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Strengths:    Extra hand position provides for better blood flow through the hands during longer rides. Good grippy rubber works well with sweaty gloved hands.

Weaknesses:    Not sure how durable the rubber is on these guys. Time will tell.

Bottom Line:
I have these on my bike which I do everything on, mountain, commute, trekking you name it. They are a nice little addition to the bike. I can grab onto the bar ends and torque up a hill comfortably or I can cruise on the flats when I am heading into work or linking singletrack with pavement.

Submitted by gporras a Racer from Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2011

Strengths:    The best, very comfortable, many hand positions, great grip, durable, Really those are the best.

Weaknesses:    Weight but you have a lot pro´s so it is not important

Bottom Line:
I am using these Bar ends for many years after I used a lot of brands. And those are the best.
I tried to use a different brand but I couldn't. I had to comeback with Cane Creek.

Favorite Trail:   My whole country

Purchased At:   www.crtm.biz

Similar Products Used:   RAVX, KNC, and others

Submitted by rkopald a Cross Country Rider from Hillsboro, OR USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2011

Strengths:    Wowza these are comfy!

Weaknesses:    None yet, except I could see how these could be improperly installed.

Bottom Line:
I have an old set of Answer gloves that won't give up the ghost. My vanity compelled me to buy newer gloves to "look cooler". Went to REI, bought an un-padded set of Pearl Izumis, and lo and behold my left elbow started hurting. I started connecting the dots, and I realized that maybe it was my scraped-to-bare-metal Specialized bar ends that needed updating. One pair of Fox padded gloves, ODI grips, and Cane creek bar ends later I am a happy camper. Suddenly my cockpit feels tighter, somehow. These bar ends feel less like bar ends and more like an outgrowth of the handlebars. Now, when I'm pumping the bars on climbs I feel like more power is hitting the road. I haven't ridden these far enough yet to really know how they'll do out in the sticks, but so far I'm incredibly pleased. These things seem short, yet I don't seem to notice any loss in position over my old Specialized "Ten Gallon Hat Long Horn Bar Ends"....
In fact, now I hate those things.

Favorite Trail:   Winberry Tie Trail

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized bar ends, plus tons of others back in the Pleistocene era of mtn biking...

Bike Setup:   Beat to crap 91 MB1 for long road rides

Submitted by ted simmons a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2010

Strengths:    Insane comfort.

Weaknesses:    Weight, but worth it.

Bottom Line:
Why didn't I buy these years ago? Fantastic comfort and multiple hand placement options. Great climbing position, very grippy. Won't have a bike without them anymore.

Favorite Trail:   most

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Rosies, ContolStix, Bontrager magnesium, etc

Bike Setup:   97 Litespeed Obed, Salsa Chromoto fork, Easton carbon riser bar and seatpost, XT/XTR everything else.

Submitted by XLNC a Weekend Warrior from Hamilton, Ontario

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2010

Strengths:    Strengths? Obviously there are extra hand positions - They're really comfy - I'd say they actually inspire confidence. Being centered on the end of the bar, when you stand on them the stress is spread out axially over the handlebar, not a torque-ish twisting style stress with older "bull horn" style bars. Everything feels strong and in control.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps a tad heavy, but I'm sure I could shed a few pounds myself to offset the increase....

Bottom Line:
Starting to sound like a generic summary but, GET THESE! Seriously, if your hands or forearms suffer any bit of discomfort when riding, these ends will certainly alleviate it. Also like I stated in the strengths section, because when you're gripping them you're essentially holding the ends of the handlebar, they inspire confidence that you can really lean into them (especially on climbs) and everything will remain stiff and in control underneath you. Hence forth every future bike I'll ever own will have these two items on them, no matter what; 1. A Lefty front shock and 2. Cane Creek bar ends. 5s all the way around.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Old School "Bull Horn"

Bike Setup:   2002 C'Dale Jekyll, Lefty DLR fr, Fox Float RC rr, SRAM X0 trigger shifters and RD, X9 FD, Truvativ Stylo OCT crank, SRAM PC 990 cassette and PC991 chain, Avid Juicy Ultimate brakes - carbon levers, Syntace Force 1.5 stem, FSA K-Force Handlebar, Cane Creek Ergo 2 bar ends (obviously), Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost, WTB Rocket Race Ti rails, DT Swiss XCR 1.5 rims, Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tires.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Strengths:    Ergonomics
Grip

Weaknesses:    None to report

Bottom Line:
Great product with fantastic feel. I never particularly cared for bar ends that were made of slick metal. I'd always slip when riding hard. These provide great feel and also provide fanastic ergonomics for leveraging climbs. I would highly recommend.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Misc others

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Submitted by Hugh Kirk a Cross Country Rider from La Cala De Mijas,Malaga,Spain.

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2007

Strengths:    Nice handhold, very comfy, looks cool.

Weaknesses:    a tad heavy (I don´t care),a tad pricey (i don´t care).

Bottom Line:
I have been riding with these guys now since they came on the market. All 4 bikes I own have them. I will not ride without them. Why? Because they are COMFORTABLE, VERY COMFORTABLE.They add to my ENJOYMENT. They make my life COMPLETE.They attract beautiful WOMEN!............well not so much beautiful,,,,,,,,,,Look!, take my word for it,The´re JUST GREAT so buy them.

Favorite Trail:   Laggen,Scot land (for now)

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   a whole bunch of assorted shapes and different colors.

Bike Setup:   Custom built PUGSLEY SURLY (see SURLY review).

Submitted by Charlie Roscoe a Cross Country Rider from Cheraw, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2007

Strengths:    Well constructed, comfortable

Weaknesses:    A little expensive, but worth it.

Bottom Line:
I'm really enjoying these ends. Usually my hands start to go numb around 5 miles. Not anymore! I took them out on a 19 mile singletrack ride for the first time, and my hands felt great every mile. It's nice to be able to change hand positions. The ends are great for climbing and sprinting or just cruising. I don't know if it's a mental thing or whatever, but I can feel more power being transferred into the rear wheel when I'm on the ends. You gain leverage and reduce fatigue of the hands. I can't argue with that. I think they look pretty cool as well. They snap into my Cane Creek locking grips (also an excellent product) for extra security. A bit expensive? Yes. Remember that you get what you pay for.

Purchased At:   AEbike.com

Submitted by Corey a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2007

Strengths:    They fit my smallish hands well and are comfortable, a bit cushy. They are very nice to adjust hand position and reduce my hand fatigue.

Weaknesses:    Maybe the price and weight if you're counting.

Bottom Line:
These go great with my Cane Creek grips. They've been through several falls on asphalt and there's cuts on the rubber but not really noticeable during use. I had them off to put my new brake levers on and rounded the bolt tightening one side back on. That was my fault and I can always get another bolt from the hardware store.

They've only grabbed a vine once. That fall was probably inevitable. I like them protecting my hands squeezing between trees on singletrack, they're like bumpers.

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Bike Setup:   2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara with BB7 discs, mostly aggressive XC riding.

Submitted by Adam R. a Weekend Warrior from St. Petersburg, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    Comfort, durability, Center's bar in palm

Weaknesses:    A little weighty. Relatively expensive

Bottom Line:
These are worth the price. I got mine new for $35. Sure, this is more than all of the other ones out there, but c'mon, it's $35. They fit your hand great. I prefer to have the end of the bar centered in my hand, as opposed to below my hands. They are heavy for their size, but I prefer a bit of extra weight over my front tire since my carbon fiber bars tend to let the front tire jump around over rough stuff. I have run these bar ends into trees and other, sharper, objects at high speed, and have not even marked or damaged the rubber coating. No problem with stripping hex heads, but I did use a torque wrench for the install. Overall, I think that these are worth the extra cost, and I have been very happy with them. You get what you pay for.

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel Ti, XT all around.

Submitted by Sean from Honolulu, HI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2007

Strengths:    Great fit, very comfortable, gives more hand placement options and more control than the traditional metal "horns". Great for climbing or just an around town cruise

Weaknesses:    Hex bolts used to clamp them onto the bars can strip out at the head leaving you unable to tighten them down all the way or loosen them up to reposition or remove.

Bottom Line:
For $40 or less you cant go wrong.

Purchased At:   Rideaway Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Hardtail Trek 4500 with upgraded drivetrain

Submitted by Jay from Tucson,AZ,USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, small and very comfy. Cane Creek makes a grip of the same material that attaches to the bar end. Very functional and looks great.

Weaknesses:    A tad heavy. The tacky surface wears down.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent product. Buy them, install them, and adjust them to your liking, and forget it. Much like a Thompson seat post or a King headset. The tacky surface wears slowly, kinda like a tire, just not as fast. Thats the small price to pay for a positive grip on your bar ends. You will not regret buying this quality product!

Favorite Trail:   Any