Bike Tight Stubs Bar End

3.48/5 (31 Reviews)

Bike Tight Stubs

Submitted by Catfish from Ventura, CALIFORNIA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2001

Strengths:    Very light wieght, not expensive.

Weaknesses:    No longer manufactured.

Bottom Line:
Wow! a chi-chi part! Am I riding a chi-chi bike? Guess so....

I've crashed these bars ends a bunch of times, no problems - a bit of paint missing, but no bends yet - 3 years now. I like short bar ends, and the cutout portion is pretty cool, in my opinion. Getting a new (chi-chi) bike, will probably move them over since they aren't made any longer. And since they belong on a chi-chi bike.

Favorite Trail:   Howard Trail

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgeon, Camarillo

Similar Products Used:   Everything? Well, 1/10 of everything.

Bike Setup:   Old Raleigh M-7000 stock (low-end stuff bolted to the thing) except XT V-brakes, Speedspring kit in the stock Indy C fork, Odyssey Svelte pedals and Stubbs bar ends. ~45lb bike.

Submitted by David V from West Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2001

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Low Strength Aluminium. Poor Quality Anodized finish (might just be the Al is so cheap)

Bottom Line:
Gotta say the design is very cool. I do wish the red color had more red in it. Not quite there, darker than pink, almost a salmon color.

The Bad: The aluminium is of low quality. I can see how a crash can kill them; flakes of metal have separated from the edges in a few spots. Still red underneath. The metal was probably bad before they were sent out to be anno'ed. Wierd. I've used other ends, and have even bent my bar where the bar end bolts on. I'd much rather trash the ends and have the bar in good shape.

To make them last, I just don't crash. Well OK, I've crashed, and pretty badly a few times (a few compressed vertabrae, a new helmet and a new tube last time), but the ends have not felt any damage in the last two years.

contrary to popular belief...read some earlier reviews...we're not posers. A poser would be riding some flashy Cannondale or Trek Y POS, showing off their cash and gagets. We just want light bits for the bike. I like light! (If my bike is light, then I can eat more spaghetti, right?)

If you don't want to scratch it, leave it at home!

Similar Products Used:   Others...

Bike Setup:   Sandvik Ti Frame, RockShox Judy XC, King hubs, Bonti Asym Mustang Rear/Mavic 217 front, XT derailleurs and BB, Cooks Quality Products 177mm Crank (way old! bought this sucker out of the old mans garage), Thompson Elite Seat Post, Flite Saddle, Avid 2.0 Brake Set....24.5 Lbs.

Submitted by Shakey a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2001

Strengths:    Light, stronger than most people give credit, functional for what they were intended.

Weaknesses:    Will probably bend if you go over the bars, and from reading all of the reviews here I almost believe that they may actually make you go over the bars.

Bottom Line:
First of all I have to address one issue. Do these bar ends make the rider prone to stuffing their front tire in a ditch and going over the handlebars. Good grief guys, pick a better line. Just read for a couple reviews and you will understand.
These bar ends are perfect for what they are intended. Cross country racing which requires the occasional change of hand position for those long climbs. They are not intended for alternate hand positioning on technical sections (or sitting you girlfriends fat rear on the handlebar on your way to the 7/11). The open design does make them prone to snagging but if it bothers you that much then wrap them with some athletic tape and problem solved.
Anyway, good bar end. Incredibly light. Strong enough. Perfect size for me.

Favorite Trail:   Vultures Knob

Similar Products Used:   Icon, Coda, Profile, Scott

Bike Setup:   Superlight (lots of goodies)

Submitted by yoyo man-children from vega system

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2000

Strengths:    eye candy-ish, sort of. fairly durable.

Weaknesses:    a pretender; short on most points relative
to what else is on the market

Bottom Line:
capable and durable model, competitively
light, grips well, nothing in the looks
department though. second to the stubbs
in every conceivable respect.

the stubbs' open design kills the competition;
saves mucho weight, creates a grip loop you
can hook your fingers tight in and around.
simply unrivaled. must have. mere 65 gms !

Similar Products Used:   stubbs bar ends - the best, no competition.

Bike Setup:   specialized s-works dualie

Submitted by Ride It!! a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2000

Strengths:    Light, small

Weaknesses:    not very durable

Bottom Line:
Was impressed with them at first, because they were compact and didn't get in my way. But then I slammed them into some rocks, they bent very easily. When they get scratched the metal gets really sharp, so you either have to shave them down or wrap tape around them. Because they have the big gap, it's easy to get them stuck in a tree branch that you might pass by to closely. Luckily, I bought my fiancee the same pair for her bike(but she doesn't really use them) and I've been switching my bad ones for hers. If anybody has some suggestions on light durable and small barends, I'd love to hear from you. Eventually, I'm going to run out of my backups.

If you're looking for something that will last you at least a year and you ride hard, don't buy these. If you ride occasionally, don't ride hard and like to look cool then these are you.

ciao.

Favorite Trail:   anything that tries to kick my butt

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by Speed Racer a Cross-Country Rider from Reston VA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1999

Strengths:
Light
great in wet conditions

Weaknesses:
none so far

Bottom Line:
Have wrecked numerous (30+ times?)times in rocks and mud with no damage and I weigh 200lbs. You need gloves to use them but terrain here is so rocky it would be nuts not to. The notch is great in wet conditions or when your hands are sweaty. Plus you always can grab them in the same position every time with the notch. Five Chilis from me.

anything technical

6 months

Scotts,etc

Trek Y-22 with Stratos shock and Spinergy Spox wheels, Raceface cranks

Submitted by Fat & Slow a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: September 28, 1999

Strengths:
Light, cool design

Weaknesses:
comfort, strength

Bottom Line:
These are just what they appear. Very light, not too tough or comfortable. If they get scratched who cares - it's a mountain bike not a Ferrari.
Mine bent too so I'm going to go with some Bonty Racelites next time. If your worried about weight (which I was when I bought them) the're great. I'm not as concerned with a couple ounces as before so I'll go with something stronger. Overall not disappointed, but not thrilled so 3.

anything technical

1 Year

Icon, generic

Klien Pulse Comp, Judy w/englund catridges

Submitted by Kent a Weekend Warrior from Morris County NJ

Date Reviewed: May 27, 1999

Strengths:
Lite weight
Unique design

Weaknesses:
Larger riders will probably have problems with gripping. These are
very small barends

Bottom Line:
I generally wouldn't recommend these barends for xc racing or extremely serious off-road use. They are very small and with a gloss finish can be very slick to grip. In addtion, because they are open barends, sticks and other hazards could get caught causing a safety hazard. With the above said, I have found the quality and performance to be outstanding. I have fairly small hands and as such these barends work well for me.

Based on the type of riding I do (a lot of spinning) they get 5 stars from me.

1 Year

Too many to list (most available)

Submitted by Rob Hartsock a Racer from Anchorage, AK

Date Reviewed: May 24, 1999

Strengths:
Return policy from Bike Tight is very liberal.

Weaknesses:
These still suck ass. I wanted to make an addendum though. I talked to a rep from Bike Tight, and they gave me a new bar-end no questions asked. They didn't even want the old one in return. They just express mailed a new one right to me. I gues that you would say that was a good thing, and it is in a way. But then I got to thinking and I had a thought about it. I think that if the company doesn't even want the old bar-end in return, they basically know the product sucks, and they have no intention of fixing the problem and improving the quality of it. As far as I am concerned, the company has a done a good job of maintaining good will with the public in that they have a generous return policy... but they have a deficient product.

Bottom Line:
I still think that the bar end is deficient, that it is not race worthy. I still think that the bar end is best suited to saturday afternoon sidewalk skimmers who like to look nifty with all that chi-chi stuff hanging off the bike.

Cliff trail

less than 1 month

Bontrager race lite

hard tail racer.

Submitted by Noah a Cross-Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: April 14, 1999

Strengths:
light
comfortable with gloves
don't bend as easily as people say

Weaknesses:
can get uncomfortable after a while without gloves

Bottom Line:
these bar end are great. They are comfortable as long as you wear gloves, and don't bend as easily as some people have said. Great buy if you only use them for climbing, and not as an alternate hand position. five stars, because they are great for average use, and wont bend unless you realy smash them against a rock.

Wilton town forest

6 months

Pacific bar ends

Schwinn mesa le chro-mo frame with manitou sxr

Submitted by Cam a cross-country rider from Walkerton Ontario

Date Reviewed: February 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought these used, then bent them 2 days later. I was mad! So I emailed bike tight, and they never replied for 4 months. But when they did, they said they would be happy to send me a new pair, and some extras at no charge! Then I was happy....=o)
They look great, are the lightest available, good price, feel nice, and have a good customer service team to back them up!
Buy some stubs!
Cam

Submitted by Mike Miller a weekend warrior from Marin, CA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

I was a little worried about bending these things after reading the reviews. Rode on them last weekend and crashed into a hill and turned one into my plow. Needless to say it was burried into the hill side. Fearinf the worst I pulled out the bars and found it just fine condition. Tougher than I thought. 4 chilli's for now....

Submitted by neil a racer from NC

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

well, i guess most of these cant be wrong... small, light, but i had a weak endo the other day and bent the right one all the way to the bar. for a few more grams, get something that will last. 2 flamers for unique design

Submitted by Scott a weekend warrior from Virginia

Date Reviewed: November 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bought these a month ago and was very happy with them at first: light, comfortable and look good, too. Then I did a slow endo over a big log. The ground was soft (+ lots of autumn leaves) but the bar end still bent in sharply. I might try to bend it back. It wasn't that bad a crash. Three chilies from me. Would be five but a mountain bike product should last through at least a few minor crashes. Good price, too, so I might go ahead and buy a new set anyway.

Submitted by Dylan a racer from University of Richmond

Date Reviewed: November 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I really liked these until this weekend while racing I took a minor spill and the right got a 90 degree bend in it where it was supposed to be straight. Before this they we're awsome. I like how they're real small but still feel good in you're hands. Was 5 chilli's until they broke. Now they get 1!

Recent convert to discs... can I remove Vbrake stubs?

I have removed them from the rear vbrake bosses already. However, I am kinda leery about the front ones since they screw into the fork. Stock front fork(Dart 2) on a 2008 Fisher Marlin.Read More »