Therapy Components Brake Therapy Floating Brake Conversion Kit Disc Brake System

4.67/5 (12 Reviews)

• solves brake jack, by separating suspension and brake forces
  • suspension responds freely and unobstructed under braking
  • bike follows terrain over bumps increasing contrl and allowing later braking
  • floating ABS system modulates braking power to prevent lockup

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Pierre a Weekend Warrior from Montréal, Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Strengths:    Only way to get a conversion. Saves having to buy a new bike.

Weaknesses:    Needs a special hub set up and the instructions are could have been a bit easier to follow at least for me. The rear wheel is a pain to remove. Adds a good chunk of weight to the bike. Kind of expensive expensive when you add in the hub.

Bottom Line:
    I guess that it was the right thing to do at the time. Especially good on a single pivot. Doesn't make a lot of difference over XC type terrain. Takes a bit of effort to get the wheel out. It is a compromise and that is the main thing but full marks for design and effort. It has added a bit of weight to my bike that I would prefer not to have.

Purchased At:   Therapy Components

Submitted by Don One a Weekend Warrior from Upper St N.Y

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Strengths:    Reliable and improves the bike's handling. The product is well engineered.

Weaknesses:    Requires special hub set up. Instructions are not as good as they should be. There rear wheel is now more difficult to remove and it adds weight to the bike. Expensive.

Bottom Line:
    Pretty good and original. Improves the handling subtely noticed at first. It can be difficult to get fitted right and getting the wheel in and out is not so easy. Together with another hub this is an expensive item.

Bike Setup:   2003 Santa Cruz Heckler etc.

Submitted by OldSkoolBiker a Downhiller from Alexandria

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2007

Strengths:    Does it's job well, quality of workmanship, ability to get it custom made.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, Rear wheel now more difficult to remove, the long wait to get the kit (since it's custom hand made), adds about 1 pound to the bike.

Bottom Line:
    This is definately an upgrade to consider getting if you have a long travel bike. Many 2007 Konas have a genuine Brake Therapy either standard or optional. Your rear braking performance will greatly improve. Brake Therapy can even customize your brake for you. I ordered the standard ASX kit, which came with a seat tube clamp for the rod. After I had the kit for a few months, I had a hard crash and I bent the rod and it was rubbing the tire. I called Brake Therapy and told them I needed a new rod. Also I didn't like the seat tube mount because it didn't give a clean look. I asked BT if a custom rod and mounting bolt could be made for me to mount to the 6.4" travel shock mount on my frame. I always leave my frame in 7.3" travel mode. I was advised by BT that the brake would be a little less efficient because of slightly increased angle of the rod. I decided that would be fine, and actually I haven't noticed a difference. Anyway I sent BT the measurements and photos of my frame and BT created the custom rod and mount, and only charged me $50. What great customer service. And if you have an ASX, I suggest that you order your kit that way right off the bat. BT should still have the measurments.

Favorite Trail:   Snowshoe, Diablo, Windrock

Purchased At:   Direct from Brake Therapy

Similar Products Used:   Normal Disc Brake

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASX
    Control Tech Race Wheel SkewersControl Tech Race Wheel Skewers

Submitted by 'fiend a Weekend Warrior from So Cal

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2007

Strengths:    This product works as advertised. It defintiely improves braking and bike handling, particularly braking at higher speeds over rough terrain. The product is well engineered and well made.

Weaknesses:    At $300, the product is expensive. Also, it is both frame and hub specific, which means you may not be able to swap it to another frame and you may have to get a new hub adapter if you change your rear wheel.

Bottom Line:
    My bike definitely handles better with this product. The difference seemed subtle at first, but the more I use it, the better I like it. Particularly at higher speeds. If you live in the flat lands and do more freeriding/hucking stuff, this product won't do much for you. But if your riding is more DH oriented, go for it.

Bike Setup:   2003 Santa Cruz Bullit with 2006 Marz 66 Light ETA fork. Shimano XT 4 pot front brake and Saint rear brake (203 mm rotors front and rear).

Submitted by drew a Weekend Warrior from nyc

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2006

Strengths:    listen ... it works simple and not heavy at all.
    one ride a few drops and yes i'm a believer. i'm faster without trying and just give me extra confidence. call brian at brake therapy ... he knows alot about bikes. he also rides a kona so there ...

Weaknesses:    price but worth every penny.

Bottom Line:
    it works ... if you don't like ... money back . simple ... and freakin' well made. it's machined and the new thrust bearing is so smooth. easssssssssssssssssy setup ... ten mins total.

go get one and forget about your rear end.

thanx brian

--drew

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Purchased At:   shop

Bike Setup:   session 77 gold

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from San Dimas, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2005

Strengths:    This thing is awesome. Of course, I might be biased because it is the only way I had to convert my Proflex K2 5000. The bar seems rock solid with absolutely not loose play. I have absolutely no flex while braking even on long technical downhills.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of.

Bottom Line:
    Great item for anyone wanting to convert to full disc brakes. It makes the choice between replacing the whole bike vs upgrading much easier. I was able to go to top of the line components for far less money than buying a new bike with sub standard components.

Purchased At:   Incycle San Dimas

Similar Products Used:   Non

Bike Setup:   Full 2005 XT components (disc brakes, new ergo shifter/brake handles, deraileurs), Single Track Rims, Rock Shock Judy Long Travel front.

Submitted by Walt Devine a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2005

Strengths:    This product definitely works as advertised. I bought it for high speed downhill runs and gave it a full workout at Mammoth Mountain. The runs at Mammoth can be very rough over many sharp edged rocks (Upper Skidmarks) or full of braking bumps just before switchbacks (Off the Top). In both cases I was able to execute much more controlled dramatic reductions in speed, without excessive skidding of the rear tire. Each run down these trails was a wide open race to the bottom of the hill, only limited by the occasional other riders on the trail. Unlike previous trips to Mammoth and Whistler on this bike, I was able to carry much more speed into the corners with much greater confidence that I was going to be able to control the stop. (The VP Free works as well as any other bike, if not better in these conditions, than the Ellsworth ID I own and the Specialized Enduro and Yeti 575 that my friends ride, even prior to adding the floating brake.) This was a fairly straight forward installation as I bought the proper tools to service the hub (a bit tricky on the DT Swiss FR hub) but the remainder of the installation was very easy. It is a beautiful addition to the bike and got a fair amount of attention from the NORBA qualifiers as we waited in the lift lines. Emails to Brian at Brake Therapy brought quick responses, even over the weekend I installed this kit. I will not be taking advantage of the money back guarantee this product has.

Weaknesses:    The installation instructions and pictures showed a different adapter than the one that came in the kit. That led to some confusion, that was quickly cleared up by Brian. There are tight clearances between the adapter and the bolts on the brake disk which led to some concern, but it never proved to be a problem in spite of all the gravel we kicked up racing down the mountain. The DT Swiss FR hub kit requires you to replace the rear axle with the one supplied by Brake Therapy. As noted by Brian before he sent me the kit, you must make sure the bearings are fully seated when you re-assemble the hub. I did not follow the DT Swiss instructions exactly the first time and found the hub tended to sieze up as I tightened the rear axle into the bike frame. After pulling everything apart and following the instructions exactly (very easy the second time around), everything went back together as it should and I had no problem completing the installation.

Bottom Line:
    As an engineer, I just can't leave well enough alone. This definitely improved bike handling and has a high bling factor for those into that kind of stuff. This would not make as impressive a change on the cross country rides I do on this bike, but for shuttle assisted rides where you are primarily racing friends or competitors downhill, it may just be the ticket to even more fun on your bike.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth

Purchased At:   Brake Therapy

Similar Products Used:   VP Free without the floating brake.

Bike Setup:   Sant Cruz VP-Free with Avid 7 8" Disc brakes, DT Swiss FR Hubs, and Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 tires.

Submitted by Kaku a Downhiller from Shibuya

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2004

Strengths:    very reliable, made clean, make the bike so much better

Weaknesses:    little bit cumbersome when I put on and take off my rear wheel

Bottom Line:
    If I didn't retrofit this floating brake kit, I would have had changed the whole frame. For two years, it has been always working good and I can't think without it. Sticking to the same frame and makeing everything better little by little helped my riding and for two years, I did not even crash once, but I could go faster than average riders at my age. Now Kona is including the simular parts on their 2005 Stab Supreme and Stinky Supreme, so you this upgrade was needed.

Here's the latest photos.

Bike Setup:   2001 Kona Stab Primo, RockShox Boxxer with MOJO BoxxCart, 5th Elements Rear shock, EX823 rims, Hadley Hubs, Raceface cranks

Submitted by Pat Grier a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2004

Strengths:    Go down steep hills with less skidding.
    Now Rear suspension still works on my Cannondale Gemini going down hill.
    Brake can still be locked out, just squeeze harder.

Weaknesses:    Need a pricey hub upgrad to install this item.
    Must get used to braking it's much different, practice ahead of the fateful moment.

Bottom Line:
    Make a Brake Jack prone bike like the Gemini WAY better on downhills.
    Too Expensive.
    My price includes an axle.
    Came to $900 summer 2003 CanuckBuks

Favorite Trail:   all over

Purchased At:   Local Shop, special order RVC

Bike Setup:   2003 Cannondale Gemini

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from Orinda, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2003

Strengths:    Great manufacturing, almost art-like. Simple and solid looking, easy installation. I use this on my single pivot 2003 Heckler and compared to the performance without the Floater setup the bike retains more active suspension just when you need it... rutted, rocky and steep, keeps the tire on the ground and the suspension moving. It's pricey and not a necessity but I like the added control, makes up for my riding the rear brake when I probably shouldn't as well as when you truly do need to control.

Weaknesses:    Requires special hub set up, adds to cost... however I went ahead and chose the Hadley DH and 10mm rear through axle arrangement so an added benefit is the rear triangle is more solid than with QR skewer.

Bottom Line:
    If you want to increase the all around suspension action of your ride, especially a single-pivot, this is a good way to go.

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demo, Downieville

Purchased At:   Direct

Bike Setup:   2003 Santa Cruz XL-Heckler, 5th Element, ZR-1 FR Marzocchi, XT 8" discs.

Submitted by Kevin a Downhiller from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Strengths:    This thing is a piece of art work, it is precision in it's self. It was easy to install with no adjustments needed. If you should need any asistance Brian is very prompt in getting back to you.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet.

Bottom Line:
    If there is one component that any serious rider should mount on a single pivot bike this is it. If you race downhill and want to buy a little more speed and control buy this floater. I am not a smooth rider but this thing made it seem that I could stop on a dime at any time, there was no skidding under hard braking on choppy ground, the tire did not bounce or did the suspension lock out under hard braking. I just spent a week at Whistler Mountain testing my new bike. All I did was lower the air pressure in my tires and the rear shock. It did not matter how rough it got this bike soaked it all up. My 2001 Bullit would bounce and skid all over the place compared to this one. Do yourself a favor and purchase any component listed on this bike, especially the floater, bolt it on and win races, instantly become a better rider and no I am not sponsered.

Favorite Trail:   any tech.

Purchased At:   Therapy Components.