TekTro IO and IOx Disc Brake System

Versions:

• IO
  • IOx

System

• Cable actuated mechanical disc brake

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Dmitri a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2014

Strengths:    Cheap! Good only for streets.

Weaknesses:    Awful for the mountain trails like downhill.

Bottom Line:
    The brakes can be suddenly weak. I could not control them. So i afraid to trust on seriously mountain trails! So I updated them for better carbon brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Plattekill MTS, NY

Duration Product Used:   5

Submitted by vk45de a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2013

Strengths:    Relatively powerful, came oem (or is that a weakness?)

Weaknesses:    Caliper runs out of stroke
    Adjust the inboard pad out too much and it comes out
    Pad adjustment will move when you ride so your sudden have weaker brakes (you'll still have power, just less of it)
    Short pad life
    Single side push causes rotor warp

Bottom Line:
    Gets the job done - if only for now...

For something that eats pads this fast and is this finicky to use, I'd prefer Vs - and I'm not a disc brake noob - I've rebuilt calipers, forks, wheels, hubs, master cylinders so believe me when I tell you this is junk.

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Hfx comp, Grimeca system 11, Avid bb5 (weak), Hayes Stroker Ace

Bike Setup:   2007 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3

Submitted by tunaphis

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2013

Strengths:    Hassle free far as i can see.Stops my 2010 hardrock single speed running maxxis slicks real well.swapped the cable outers to ss braid mainly for looks.Am replacing rotors with 203(front) from Baradine $35AU.

Weaknesses:    Yeah they squeal so take out the pads and on a flat surface with medium sand paper deglaze them,no more noise.

Bottom Line:
    Came on the bike and I don't see any reason to change.Bleeding brakes suck!

Submitted by Hill Storm

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    Quite a Good sopping power and consistant,reliable,high rate of de-accel.with short but smooth greadient,,just to the point power, easy to set up, perform good when beded-in and proper lever/cable system n well adjusted. am doing DJ/skill practiece as a flatlander guy most of the time and occasionally AM with my cheap n heavy FS rig. I can say Very good for that price bracket.Now I order another one for rear too, will get a 180 rotor next to top up the boost.great deal.....dont wry, its good then what you paying.

Weaknesses:    Stock pad wear a bit faster than expected, pad size is not wide like top notch Mech disc,some fed when hot(160-rotor) as i Doing dj etc skill learning so heavy breaking for shrt duration but more n more time so they get hot some time,hearing some dody using Metallic pads and they solve these issue of wear n 180 rotor will fix them all...

Bottom Line:
    Yee, I got my first one from a local Shop as I bought a Fork and so needed to switch postmount from IS so they give it as a replacement and in dam cheap price, in first few Ride I find it crap then during a rainy ride it beded in n just suddenly it took its own power, just blowing as a mech disc,
    I didnt comparing with Hydros but same time its cheap too, so at that price pracket I will tell just cool buy, over Avid BB5 etc middle range Mech Disc.

Submitted by bryang a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2012

Strengths:    Low maintenance, easy setup, good modulation (depending on lever and cable used), decent power overall. No "disc block" needed if transporting with the front wheel removed. Compatible with mid-range Shimano shift/brake lever combo's.

Weaknesses:    Some squeak and some fade on long descents.

Bottom Line:
    Simply put, these brakes are exactly as good as the "mechanic" setting them up. They don't have quite the max power as a topline hydro system, but they're not the same price, either. What the DO well is beat V brakes at virtually the same price. I've had the SAME set for over three years now, on three different rigs. If you use a good lever and cable, and make sure to use proper ferrules, etc, then you're golden.

Favorite Trail:   Greensfelder, near StL MO

Duration Product Used:   3+ years

Purchased At:   oem

Similar Products Used:   Magura disc and rim versions, Avid Juicy, Hayes, all varieties of rim brakes over the past 30 years.

Bike Setup:   DJ/black diamond HT, 1x9 drivetrain w/bmx cranks, Modded Rock Shox Dart 3 coil...see a trend here?

Submitted by Miguelgcone a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    cheap sets of brakes but very strong, decent stopping power and easy to adjust.

Weaknesses:    they squeal a lot and it's really annoying, but I don't care as long as they stop me when I ask them to.
    I've read all the comments about these brakes and I'm 100% sure most of the problems mentioned are a result of improper installation or adjustment

Bottom Line:
    they work just fine of course if they are adjusted properly, I found this thread online(http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/adjusting-$%25-tektro-io-brakes-527077.html)
    I follow the steps described and now I have them on my bike with no problem at all except the squeal problem which I haven't found a way to stop them doing that.

hope you guys understand what I meant to say as English is not my first language!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Alejandro a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2012

Strengths:    They work maybe not like a $150 set of disc brakes but they work, easy to adjust and set up.

Weaknesses:    Front brake has no stopping power and doesn't lock and must be adjusted 3/5 times you go for a ride.

Bottom Line:
    The brakes came with the bike and at first i think they worked perfectly, once i went for a muddy ride the brakes haven't work and have to be adjusted 3/5 times i go for a ride. In steep hills the rear brake might work quite excellent but once again the front won't work, the brakes are good headache makers.
    Pros: Came with the bike, brakes do work, so far that's all i need.
    Cons: adjustments are a must, stopping power is a 5/10.
    Don't expect them to work as if they are a $150 set of brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Trans Canada Trail

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Cris

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    Very strong when properly adjusted, easily adjusted with a few allen wrenches and basic know how of how they operate, and 5 minutes of time, I feel confident they will stop me when I ask them to

Weaknesses:    Terrible fade when going down a steep hill at high speed (33lm bike + 220lb rider, so understandable),

Bottom Line:
    Came OEM on my 2011 Jamis Komodo. For Dirt Jumping and weekend trails, I'd say they fit the bill perfectly. No need to spend $1000 on a set of Avid Code Rs unless you really need them.

Submitted by DanZo337 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Strengths:    Good stopping power (35lb bike + 175lb rider), inexpensive, easy to setup.

Weaknesses:    Lack of adjustments, requires proper tuning to work well, can get squeaky

Bottom Line:
    Like others, I got these brakes along with my stock bike. I'm not sure what all the raving and ranting is about it not being able to stop their bikes but I find these brakes work just fine; Despite the minimal design effort.

Of course, they aren't the greatest brakes on the market, but you get what you pay for. Similar to anything else that's on the recreational level, they require more labour when tuning. There is a reason why these department stores usually offer brake + gear tuning for the first year you get your bike, they know these things need to be adjusted ever so often "manually."

Don't expect to slap these on and expect 100% performance out of them without tuning them properly, which just means seating the caliper in the right place and applying the right amount of tension on the brake cables. Keep an eye on rotor flex and make sure your pads are close to being true with the rotor when being squeezed.

Purchased At:   Sport Chek

Submitted by Ihitatree a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Consistent, strong, already on the bike. Not grabby, but not weak.

Weaknesses:    No adjuster knob (needs Allen wrench)

Bottom Line:
    While this is my first mountain bike, I've got plenty of experience with racing hare scrambles on my 250 KTM. I know what brakes should feel like.

Got these stock on my bike. I rode them a few times stock, and they worked really well... But...

I ride single track and I'm compulsive about setup, so After an all afternoon single track run, I decided to see just what I could make them do. I paired the front with metal pads and a 180mm Ashima rotor, and left the back stock (180mm tektro rotor is on the way, but it already locks up if I put a little on them).

Added a set of Avid Speed Dial levers for good measure. Total cost $15 rotor, $20 levers, $15 pads.

Ran them on a technical ride with many long downhill runs. Never even thought about them. No fade. Didn't adjust them once, not even the levers I'm confident I can continue going on 4 hour rides and have them perform this way.

I'd say that spending 5 min tuning brakes BEFORE you ride should be standard. In that case, I see no reason to upgrade until I decide to go hydro. I probably won't even do that in the near future.

Seriously, put a few minutes getting these dialed in before just buying cheap hydros. I'll buy hydros one day, but not until I want/need a high end set.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee

Similar Products Used:   V brakes, hydraulic dirtbike brakes.

Bike Setup:   Ashima 180mm front rotor, Avid Speed Dial 7 levers

Submitted by joeinchi a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2012

Strengths:    Stopping power, ease of modulation

Weaknesses:    Rusted barrel adjusters (easy to clean)

Bottom Line:
    These came stock on a 2005 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc I recently picked up off of Craigslist for $150. On the test ride I noticed that the brakes were super soft with virtually no stopping power. I like to one-finger brake and I needed to pull the levers down to the grips to get any kind of bite.

A quick search on the internet turned up the user manual: http://www.tektro.com/_english/03_support/download.php?f=down01309307566.pdf

The brakes simply were out of adjustment. After straightening the disc, I simply followed the steps in the manual for proper installation. Now, all I need to do is pull the lever 1" to 1-1/2" and I can lock up both wheels no problem. And they came free with the bike! Don't swap these out.

Purchased At:   Craigslist w/ Bike

Similar Products Used:   V-brakes, old-school cantilevers

Bike Setup:   2005 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc, Rockshox Dart 3

Submitted by cjc1103 a Weekend Warrior from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2012

Strengths:    They were OEM on my Motobecane mountain bike

Weaknesses:    None, for light to moderate use.

Bottom Line:
    The Tektro Io disk brakes brakes work very well, if have them adjusted correctly, no squeal or fade, easy to modulate, easy to adjust.. I weigh 155lbs, and I don't go down long downhill trails, but I have never had any of the problems other reviewers noted. Sure they are a budget brake, if you are a very heavy person or ride very hard down long hills you might need more capable brakes, but these brakes are good for what they are intended for - light to moderate use.

Favorite Trail:   multiple

Bike Setup:   Motobecane HT500, Shimano Deore 24 speed (3 x 8), Tektro Io disk brakes

Submitted by horseybike a Weekend Warrior from CenTX, Texas

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2012

Strengths:    Solid all around product for the price. Easy to adjust.

Weaknesses:    As a good entry level product, it's still an entry level product.

Bottom Line:
    Most of my riding is single track with short steep hills and plenty of roots and rocks. This is my first set of discs and the IO's work at least as well as the Avid Arch Rival V-brakes I had on my previous bike. That's important because I really liked the Arch Rivals and at this price point you really are comparing discs to v-brakes. I know others have complained, but I have had no problems with fading or squealing. Once the cables stopped their initial stretch (as all cables do), the adjustment has held fine.

Sure there are better brakes to be had, but for the price and as an entry level mechanical disc, I'd have no problem suggesting the Tektro's to a friend.

Purchased At:   Came on the bike

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper 29er

Submitted by tsousa2545 a Weekend Warrior from United States

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2011

Strengths:    pretty good braking power

Weaknesses:    WAY TOO MUCH BITE!!! and scream like a chimpanzee with his balls in a vice.

Bottom Line:
    everyone says theese brakes have no power but i can easily lock up my back wheel and almost my front. my problem is with them having way way too much bite. as soon as i apply any pressure to my lever they just lock. if i apply the slightest ammount of pressure to the lever and the pads contact the rotor is just locks. if i keep hitting them then they eventually warm up and work rather well except for the horrible noise. but they cool back down in n time and the same issue is back. ive had them professionally asjusted and done plenty of adjusting my self with no luck. the best i had them was 10 minutes after i got it back from my LBS but 10 minutes later same screeching problem and disc rubbing problem. overall theese brakes are not the best brake as far as modulation and quietness but power i find them to be quite adiquite.

Favorite Trail:   too many

Bike Setup:   2011 specailized hardrock

Submitted by bballr4567 a Weekend Warrior from Evansville, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    They will stop you, maybe.

Weaknesses:    Brake fade is pretty intense after about a 2-3 mile ride. Im 6'6, 230lbs and Im sure the brakes were not designed to stop someone my size. Actually have to stop and let them cool off when on rides now as Ive become a better rider and going faster. Horrible to adjust and set up. Good luck if you have to take off your front wheel every time to load a bike as you will need your tools to readjust the brake so you wont get squeal.

Bottom Line:
    Spend just a TAD more and get much better brakes. These are just not good even for the price. Do not tempt yourself as you will just be upgrading from them if you do get them.

Favorite Trail:   Scales Lake, Boonville, IN