SRAM X0 Disc Brake System

2.82/5 (11 Reviews)

SRAM split its X0 Disc Brakes into two distinct versions. One aimed for aggressive trail riders, aptly named 'Trail' -- for those that prefer power and adjustments over weight. And, standard X0 which favors low-weight over complexity.While the Trail model differs greatly from previous versions of X0, this one builds on the existing two-piston, two-piece caliper from previous iterations -- with an updated lever assembly. This isn't the old give it a new finish and mark-it-up approach.The X0 brake continues to utilize Avid's Taperbore technology to offer progressive modulation. But, in the spirit of weight reduction, it forgoes the pad contact adjustment. You can still adjust reach to place the carbon lever in the most ergonomic position. Unlike the Trail lever, though, this model rotates around a hollow pivot and bushing instead of a bearing and solid pivot assembly. These two features alone drop the system's weight to just over 300 grams, without sacrificing performance. At the caliper end of things Avid continues to employ its proven two-piston units. They're constructed from forged aluminum for stiffness and cooling efficiency, and it uses a banjo fitting for the braided polyester hose.This allows clean routing on the majority of frame designs with standard post mounts. Speaking of clean aesthetics, the X0 brakes are fully compatible with Matchmaker to offer ergonomic and space saving mounting for compatible remotes and shifters.The Avid X0 Disc Brake comes with either a polished aluminum or black finish. Front and rear brakes are sold separately, and rotor sizes are 160, 180, or 200mm.

Submitted by Phillip a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2013

Strengths:    Light, looks sleek, good feel, nice finish, strong (when they work, which is rarely), warranty

Weaknesses:    Not reliable, leaks, too hard to bleed, expensive for what you get

Bottom Line:
So my LBS warrantied the Elixir CR's that came on my used bike. The bike and brakes only had 4 months of riding on them. Front and rear would not hold a bleed. The original owner said they did this from new. I had the shop bleed them several times. The rear caliper then started to leak. The shop was able to send them back and get me a full set of 2013 XO's. Apparently Avid's warranty/customer service is good. It didn't matter though because one of the brand new brakes started leaking from the lever on its very first ride! I took it back to the shop to have them take a look and shorten the line. They thought the fluid was leftover from manufacturing. Needless to say, they continued to leak on the next few rides. By this time I was fuming at Avid. I had been to the shop about 10 times in 2 months related to my Avid brakes. Avid is sending me a new lever and I'll be switching brands. I'll never again own their hydo brakes.

Duration Product Used:   A few months

Submitted by Norman Townsend a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2013

Strengths:    They look awesome

Weaknesses:    weak, unpredictable and I project they will be like my other Avid brakes that needed to be bled almost monthly.

Bottom Line:
I was sucked into the "XO" factor and a sweet internet deal. I expected much more. Should have invested in the Shimano Brakes. First time I should have listened to my LBS.

Favorite Trail:   Loch Raven

Bike Setup:   29 Hard Tail

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2013

Strengths:    Good looks, lots of stopping power.

Weaknesses:    Inconsistant. Bleeding

Bottom Line:
I have had these brakes on my 2013 Anthem 29er for 3 weeks. They were a warranty replacement for Avid Elixer 5's. These XO brakes have awesome power, but inconsistant each time you grabbed them you had a different modulation feel. Just pulled the bikeout after a couple weeks layoff and no brakes at all. Just like the 5's master cylinder leaks air. Not sure why so many problems, but SRAM needs to fix this issue. Back to the shop again for another set of apology brakes?

Submitted by JDog

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2013

Strengths:    Adjustability, stopping power

Weaknesses:    Stock pads

Bottom Line:
Good combination of stopping power and light weight. I would suggest getting a set of Jagwire Red Zone Comp pads to replace the stock pads along with cleaning the rotors and a proper bed in procedure.. Stock pads I have used on all Avid brakes are subject to squeals and turkey gobble. With the Jagwire pads I have had no noise issuess and the brakes stop great with them. Bleed on the brakes is easy with on line instructions and pad replacement is a breeze.

Submitted by blahblahx a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    sometimes they work

Weaknesses:    Need constant bleeding. Brake lever very poor design. Look where the bolt goes through the clamp. There is less than 1/8" of material between bolt hole and mount to bar. This is a very high failure point. Lots of use or a couple movements of the brake lever, snap goes the plastic, non-replaceable part.

Bottom Line:
Could buy better at wall mart, poor clamp design, constant bleeding needed

Similar Products Used:   avid xx, magura marta, shimaNO xtr

Submitted by paulo

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2012

Strengths:    great stopping power, no noise!

Weaknesses:    Nothing.

Bottom Line:
I have for 6 moths with 4500 kmw done some of those trainning and racing and those brakes are really great

Submitted by torque29er a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2012

Strengths:    Great Looks. Easy lever adjustability.

Weaknesses:    Don't work the same every time. Inconsistent modulation, not confident inspiring. Noisy.

Bottom Line:
These came stock on my Scalpel 1. Used them for only a couple of weeks, about 180 miles. Too many trips to the LBS for constant adjustments and bleeds, I replaced the with XTR.

Similar Products Used:   XTR among others

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Luxembourg

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2012

Strengths:    Adjustability; Modulation

Weaknesses:    Not robust; breaks often.

Bottom Line:
I have had these brakes on my Canyon Nerve XC which I bought in December 2011. I have so far ridden 600km in rain, mud and freezing temperatures.

The pads needed to be replaced after 250km but that was due to extremely wet conditions around Christmas. The problem I have is once we had very cold weather in February 2012 (-10C/5-10F) the brakes broke. First was the front brakes' pushrod cylinder - it simply broke and I lost my front brakes. I was perplexed. Then one week later, the rear brakes simply lost all fluid - it seems to have leaked out the caliper while riding. Again no brakes. So I am pretty disappointed with SRAM/Avid brakes. My old Shimano XT brakes never failed me in 6 years of riding. Perhaps the light weight means durability has been sacrificed? Caveat Emptor.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali Trails, NC

Purchased At:   Came with Canyon Ner

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   SRAM XO

Submitted by Rocky a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis, IN. USA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2011

Strengths:    Good looks, adjustable banjo fitting on caliper to rotate hose, good braking performance. Match the rest of my XO components. Pads never rub rotors and alignment to rotor is a snap.

Weaknesses:    Sound like howler monkeys in heat all the time. Levers made to fit small child's hands. Slightly difficult to bleed. Sram does not use same wrench size or type across the XO system, really I need 4,5,6mm allen keys plus torx to work on the controls of my bike, matchmaker is a joke unless your double jointed.

Bottom Line:
I am not impressed with these at all even though the actual braking performance is pretty good. They make a horrible grinding howl when used, bad enough I apologize to other trail users for the sound. I have heard changing to different rotors can fix this but I shouldn't have to do that. Also the levers are tiny for my size 12 hands, I have them maxed out on reach and moved really in on the handlebars to barley be comfortable. Its a bummer as the performance of the rest of my new XO components is outstanding. These will be going on Ebay if I cant get them to be quiet.

Favorite Trail:   most

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Hayes, Magura.

Bike Setup:   Commencal Super4

Submitted by Smidy a Weekend Warrior from Charleston, WV

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2011

Strengths:    Great modulation, feels strong enough to stop a car! Good looks

Weaknesses:    Expensive, not an easy lever adjustment, wish the carbon levers had the weaved look.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden lots of different brakes, wasn't so fond of Avids offerings. But when building my single speed decided to go with these, best brakes I've ever had! Less expensive then shimano. I liked them so much I dished out another 400 dollars to outfit my rocky mountain element with them!

Purchased At:   Company Bicyle

Similar Products Used:   Juicy three, Bb7, hayes

Bike Setup:   Vassago Jaberwocky, everything Chris king makes for a bike, diety black label bars, avid xo black on black brakes with 185mm rotors

Submitted by jwins49 a Weekend Warrior from Anaheim, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Strengths:    great stopping power on my 29er, 185mm rotors. Single finger both front and rear and has kept me out of many possible mishaps. And they look great with the rest of my Sram XO build.

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet, easy install, work great, easy maintenance.

Bottom Line:
If you get them you wont be sorry. If you have prior experience with avid brakes and easy maintenance then go with these as a very nice upgrade. The Juicy series seems pretty good but these are bad ass.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   ebay "new"

Similar Products Used:   Hayes carbon stroker, other avid juicy's 5's and 7's.

Bike Setup:   Turner sultan xl raw, full XO, fox f29 RLC, noir 175 crankset, crank brothers cobalt wheels ti 2 egg beaters and joplin seatpost, king headset, thomson stem, and answer carbon bars, wtb seat. Very fun ride to say the least.

Possible to use X0 Spider on XX1 crank?

The spline interface appears to look the same. Can anyone confirm this? Not quite ready for XX1....but sure would like to get a 24t granny on my SRAM XX cranks(impossible). So, I may be considering a "downgrade."Read More »

Which bike? 13 TE01 X0 vs 14 TE01 XTR vs 14 TE01 XX1 vs 14 Sworks Stumpjumper HT WC

After spending days hunting, I have these bikes to pick from. I know that they are not comparable but which of these look like a deal too good to pass up? Personally, I love the BMC XX1 but would much prefer the Team Red to the Naked color scheme the XX1 comes in. 13 TE01 X0/X9 for $4k 14 TE01 X ... Read More »

SRAM X0 2X10 to 1x10...

I'm already looking to change from X0 2x10 to X0 1x10. I want to use SRAM's narrow/wide chainrings, but also have the ability to swap chain rings whenever I need/want but without removing the crank. Can I swap the current SRAM X0 104/64 BCD spider and install the 94BCD for X01? If this can be done, ... Read More »

X0 Type 2 medium cage. Can I buy it seperately?

Checked the SRAM replacement parts and, unless I missed it, I can't find a part number for a medium Type 2 cage. Anyone have a part number?Read More »

Avid X0 Trail Brakes for DH

Does anyone have experience with this brake on their DH bike? I've been riding Saints for the past 5 years and I love them, but I just put an order in for a '15 Kona Supreme Operator and it comes equipped with the X0 Trail. Seems strange since it appears the X0 Trail has been replaced by the Gui ... Read More »