SRAM Guide Series Disc Brake System

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)

What’s it going to take to ride that line? It’s steep. It’s rocky. You’ve passed it a hundred times. But not this time. With the all-new SRAM Guide R, you have the power. Proven 4-piston calipers give you smooth, one-finger control. Features like Reach Adjust let you dial it in just right. And Guide perfectly complements other SRAM components and gives you flawless performance on every ride.

Available Models:

~ BIte adjustment
~ SRAM Matchmaker compatible

Weaknesses:    ~ Corrosive DoT 5.1 fluid
~ Heavy rotors
~ Pistons tend to stick, after getting hot
~ Frequent bleeding process is VERY involved
~ High cost of ownership

Bottom Line:
Compared to my Shimano XTR BR-M988 Trails - the Guide RSC has only smoothest modulation going for it. The older XTR still has more power, uses MIneral OIl and bike can still be stored upside-down....try that with any Avid/SRAM brakes!

SRAM's attempt at competing with Magura and Shimano comes-up a bit short. Shimano still rules, because it's lighter, needs only two pistons for the same power and eco-friendly Mineral Oil gravity bleeds are dead simple.

Favorite Trail:   Idyllwild Hub

~ Hayes Stroker Prime

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro - XX1, carbon everything imaginable

Submitted by obs08 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2015

Strengths:    modulation, decent weight, power

Bottom Line:
these brakes are awesome. ive used them on every type of trail and they have never let me down. lbs bled them when they were brand new and they have had no issues since. the modulation is awesome, the power has never left me looking for more. a little pricey but the reliability and overall quality of the brake makes up for it. these are the best of the best, dont hesitate to spend the money

Duration Product Used:   500 miles

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by AustinC a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2015

Strengths:    Uh... they look good.

Weaknesses:    I have absolutely no confidence in these brakes. Overheat and fade on long descents. Inconsistent performance. Require frequent bleeding. Unreliable. Not as much power as Shimano XT. Sound familiar to anyone?

Bottom Line:
These Guide R came stock on my Devinci Spartan. I wanted to like them, especially and after reading about how it was a totally new design. At first they were fine, not as much power as Shimano XTs but powerful enough and yeah they have better modulation. Then I hit a serious descent (Suicide Trail here in SoCal) and I got a lot of fade. I wasn't stoked about that. After 15 rides both brakes were spongy, and I was prepping the bike for a ride one morning and the levers were pulling to the bars.

After a bleed at a reputable shop they seemed great. Then I at the top of the climb on my ride I noticed the rear brake lever was sticking. When I pulled on it and it stuck there and didn't return, so the rear brake was dragging. So I took it easy on the way down and somewhere along the way it started working. Two rides later, the problem is worse, and after another hard descent (T and A Trail) the rear lever once again pulls to the bars. Enough. I have absolutely no confidence in these brakes.

I've owned four sets of Shimanos and have never had a single problem with them. Once or twice a year I have to bleed them, which takes all of 10 minutes. No DOT fluid to worry about, no dual-syringe "degassing" or complicated bleeding procedure.

So I just bought another set of Shimano XTs for the Spartan.

What a disappointment. I never had a set of Avids that worked and now this "completely new design" is worse in my experience. What a waste of my time and money.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR, Avid

Bike Setup:   Devinci Spartan

Submitted by Atombike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2015

Strengths:    Brake power,
Good working with air bubbles: after I shortened the cable the brakes worked fine and bleeding was not necessary but I did it.

Weaknesses:    Bleeding is similar to avid elixirs - needs a lot of time to do it.
Some dot 4 fluid has better performance than original dot 5.1 - I immediately replaced the original oil to dot 4+.

Bottom Line:
This brake has similar power to Shimano. I choose this bc of the 4 pistons / caliper but it seems does not matter. Shimano reached this power with 2pcs pistons / caliper...I think only the brake pads surface area does matter not pistons qty.
Modulation is great, I do not like shimano on-off brakes and its' designs so this brake is a very good alternative.
My previous brake was elixir CR and SL. Compared to this, Guide has almost double power but elixirs was not a great brake for AM. Modulation is similar or a little bit better, the difference is not big.
I have to get used to the shortened braking distance and I have to develop my arm's muscles to keep myself on the bike while I stopping.

Favorite Trail:   AM

Duration Product Used:   200km

Purchased At:   Hibike

Similar Products Used:   Elixir R SL, Elixir CR

Bike Setup:   Canyon strive, X-fusion slant

Submitted by Spokes572

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2015

Strengths:    Modulation
Smaller/Thin Levers like Shimano
Strong braking power
Do not take on air like older AVID models

Weaknesses:    Not as strong as Shimano XTR in power, but close
Lever reach adjustment is cheap plastic and sorta notchy to move - not as smooth moving as the XTR trail adjustment knob.

Bottom Line:
I had XO trail on my 2014 S-Works Enduro 29ner. I replaced the XO master cylinder with the RSC master cylinder and kept the original 4 piston XO calipers since the same caliper is used. Easy upgrade since caliper and hydraulic lines are reused. I even reused the olives. I love the smaller thinner levers - just like shimano's XTRs but they do not have the dimples that the shimano levers have. The brakes strongest asset is modulation and they do not absorb air into the line like past Avid models. That alone once you try them is worth the money. They are strong but not as strong as the XTR in terms of power but very close. You notice the power difference only on very long down hills.

Submitted by John a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2014

Strengths:    Lever feel, modulation, and adjustability. Gobs of power when needed, and most importantly, quiet. No, seriously, they're quiet.

Weaknesses:    Weight if any. The rotors aren't the lightest.

Bottom Line:
Background: I have short fingers and large palms. I prefer my brakes with the levers in close, but quick engagement/bite point.

I've been messing around with Avid brakes for the last previous generations. Their Juicy line was pretty decent once you hit the 7's. Great modulation and lever feel/position, but "that" noise. With the addition of some Dangerboy levers, the Juicys just had a perfect fit. The hard braking noise was always persistent.

Skip to the Elixir line. Although I didn't have nearly any issues that many people have described, the Elixir 5's, CR's, and 9 Trails all worked well, when probably set up, bleed, and maintained. Avid has a perfect lever position IMO, with the Elixir included. But the brakes lacked in overall feel and adjustability. The CR's and 5's worked, but didn't have the bite point adjustability, and always had a built in amount of lever throw, which for a close lever, means nearly at the bars. On the flip side, the Trails worked fantastically with adjustments in bite point, but still gave a bit more lever throw then I would have liked, ironically enough. For all above brakes, there was still "that" noise though.

Now, the Guide RSC. Lever ergonomics reminds me of the replacement Dangerboy or Straitline levers, that one finger , just right sense. The lever feel is smooth and crisp, definitely helped by ball bearings. With adjustments of lever position and bite point, I've been able to get my levers set up just right for my hands: close lever, but quick engagement. Performance wise, these things are killer. Few of the "first ride" articles floating around point to more of a linear feel, which is pretty spot on. Shimano's tend to have a bit of a pop when pulling the lever due to their cam system, with a big amount of stopping coming almost instantly afterwords. The Guide's tend to pull smoothly, letting you feel when your pads made contact, then applying more pressure to slow you down in a hurry. This lever pull isn't mushy or overly soft feeling, but has a solid feel when the pads contact. Although they don't have the overall initial stopping power the Shimano's tend to have, the Guide's have that power on tap within the modulation. The modulation there is nearly limitless, letting me crawl down trails, lock the wheels up entirely, or just scrub the smallest amount of speed. And the power the Guide's have is impressive. I wouldn't suggest forgetting that they will throw you OTB in a loose gravel parking lot.

I'm giving this a new paragraph because it's worth it. These brakes are actually quiet. Yes, you heard it here, quiet. No turkey gobble, no running water; Quiet. My set up is as follows: SC 5010, RS Pike, 180mm rotors f/r, Sinster-metal. Yes, I'm using a noisier pad material, but these brakes are quiet. Initial set up had a bit of noise, but during break in it faded away a bit. Once bedded, and ridden, the noise disappear. It's made some noise on me, during very low speed stuff or getting some water on the rotors, but not the typical noise we know and love from Avid/Sram. I'm tossing up the low speed noise to metal pads. You get the same noise from a Shimano or other company under the same circumstances.

Jury's out on the durability and reliability, but after a few weeks of riding, they're fine. I don't even have any brake rub or anything (but hey, I'm a mechanic). I'd imagine they'll be quite fine for a while, but I'm arguing the initial set up is key. After messing with so many Elixirs, I took extra precautions and throughly bleed the brakes, as well as lubricated the pistons in the caliper. I take these precautions of most other manufactures as well, however.

Favorite Trail:   Frederick Watershed