Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking Gear Reviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

SRAM Guide R Disc Brake System

What’s it going to take to ride that line? It’s steep. It’s rocky. You’ve passed it a hundred times. But not this time. With the all-new SRAM Guide R, you have the power. Proven 4-piston calipers give you smooth, one-finger control. Features like Reach Adjust let you dial it in just right. And Guide perfectly complements other SRAM components and gives you flawless performance on every ride.

Submitted by AustinC a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2015

Strengths:    Uh... they look good.

Weaknesses:    I have absolutely no confidence in these brakes. Overheat and fade on long descents. Inconsistent performance. Require frequent bleeding. Unreliable. Not as much power as Shimano XT. Sound familiar to anyone?

Bottom Line:
These Guide R came stock on my Devinci Spartan. I wanted to like them, especially and after reading about how it was a totally new design. At first they were fine, not as much power as Shimano XTs but powerful enough and yeah they have better modulation. Then I hit a serious descent (Suicide Trail here in SoCal) and I got a lot of fade. I wasn't stoked about that. After 15 rides both brakes were spongy, and I was prepping the bike for a ride one morning and the levers were pulling to the bars.

After a bleed at a reputable shop they seemed great. Then I at the top of the climb on my ride I noticed the rear brake lever was sticking. When I pulled on it and it stuck there and didn't return, so the rear brake was dragging. So I took it easy on the way down and somewhere along the way it started working. Two rides later, the problem is worse, and after another hard descent (T and A Trail) the rear lever once again pulls to the bars. Enough. I have absolutely no confidence in these brakes.

I've owned four sets of Shimanos and have never had a single problem with them. Once or twice a year I have to bleed them, which takes all of 10 minutes. No DOT fluid to worry about, no dual-syringe "degassing" or complicated bleeding procedure.

So I just bought another set of Shimano XTs for the Spartan.

What a disappointment. I never had a set of Avids that worked and now this "completely new design" is worse in my experience. What a waste of my time and money.