Shimano Zee BR-M640 Disc Brake System

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The new Zee hydraulic disc brake system includes shorty style levers and a powerfull...

Submitted by Mojo Meth

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2013

Strengths:    Endless power, huge range of modulation, very controllable, shorty lever

Weaknesses:    Weight, however this is a DH spec brake. Pad pin could be improved.

Bottom Line:
Wow wow wow, the power from these brakes is immense. But more importantly the power is so usable. They have improved my riding as I can brake later, and have the assurance that I will be able to stop when I want. These brakes have the same mechanics as the saints. They have a tool required reach adjust, which is fine as its set and forget. The shorty leaver suit my preference. I like the lever quite close to the bars, on longer levers they would contact my other fingers. But this one is perfect, even with my long SS Excel grips.

I bled the brakes from new so can't comment on the stock bleed. But bleeding was really straight forward with an epic bleed solutions kit.

This brake is installed on my Ibis Mojo HD, and some may find it too heavy for an AM setup, however I like to ride fast and the performance benefits far out way the 150-200 gram penalty.

Overall I have been very impressed with the Zee range and have been equally impressed with the Zee derailluer.

Submitted by Alan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2013

Strengths:    Great stopping power, Smooth break lever, adjustable

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have the on the fly adjuster like the Saints.

Bottom Line:
I am a big guy (250lbs) that loves downhill. I had Hayes 9's on before and I just could not get the stopping power I was looking for. Once I put a set of these bad boys on stopping was not an issue. Once dialed in to the right feel I liked on my break levers there was no more white knuckled descents. They stop me when I want to stop or slow. The 4 piston action with a 180mm rotor in the rear and a 203mm up front there is nothing this thing can't stop

Favorite Trail:   Alsio Woods

Purchased At:   The Path

Similar Products Used:   Hayes 9

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Switch SL, Marzocchi Z150 FR SL front fork, Fox Float RP3 Rear suspension, Shimano ZEE Front and Rear Brakes, DT Swiss F630 Rims, DT Swiss 240s hubs, Shimano XT shifters and front and rear derailleur and cassette, Race Face Cranks, Hans Dampf Tires

Submitted by eric thomas a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2013

Strengths:    good stopping power.

Weaknesses:    issue with the rear brake leaking fluid from master cylinder.

Bottom Line:
I have shim xt's on my am bike which are awesome, so I stepped up little bit to the zee's for a little extra for my fr/dh bike. I have had an issue with the rear brake fading so I bleed the brakes then noticed fluid leaking from master cylinder. took the master apart and found the top cap that says ZEE on it didn't seat properly, I added a thin washer and seemed to fix the problem for now. looking at the construction between the saint and zee's I would recommend stepping up a little more to the saints, or just go with xt's.