Shimano XTR M9020 Trail Disc Brake System

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The XTR M9020 Trail brake system is trail-tuned for power and stiffness using pre-loaded aluminium caliper and a new SERVO-WAVElever with a powerful and stiff carbon-alloy structure. Offer varying levels of heat control from an insulated piston (glass fiber phenolic) and insulated pad coating.

Submitted by will a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2016

Strengths:    great braking while they work

Weaknesses:    master cylinder dies quickly and not rebuildable

Bottom Line:
These were a warranty replacement from shimano for a 2015 xtr rear brake that the master cylinder started leaking after about 8 months. This one lasted about the same. It worked great until I had issues with the lever sinking towards the bar under prolonged braking. Took them into the shop and it was doing the same thing as the last set, master cylinder leaking once again. Too bad these aren't reliable, they work great.

Purchased At:   shimano

Submitted by E N a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2016

Strengths:    1 finger braking, no GD vibration. when are other POS companies going to figure out that vibration = garbage?

Weaknesses:    YOU CANNOT REBUILD THE MASTER CYLINDER??? I have had some banjo fitting failures in the past, but they were warrantied. I-Spec. I disagree with the other poster. I had the I spec on in 2012 and there wasn't enough adjustment to get the effing shifter out of my thumb knuckle. Maybe its better now. Once I rode one set, I bought 5 other sets. DH, XC, out of town XC, DH (saint), Wife's bike, and my dad put them on his. It's like crack. you need this.

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure exactly why, but I have had some of these pads foul after extended periods of disuse (out of town bike that I ride every 6 months). I haven't ridden them, but with the cheapest shimano rotors, I have gobs of power. get resin pads for the rear if its dusty, or ear plugs.

Submitted by Davide a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2016

Strengths:    Light, very powerful for true one finger operation, incredible modulation, self centering, very easy bleed uses mineral oil. Lot's of adjustments range for the lever, and easy to set free-stroke adjustment.

Weaknesses:    None to report.

Bottom Line:
Excellent brakes. They are so flow less that it is hard to comment other than saying that you simply do not notice them. They stop, quick, with very little one finger pressure. The I-spec II clamp is great leaving a VERY clean bar.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho