Shimano XT Disc Brake Disc Brake System

3.85/5 (112 Reviews)

The XT M785 disc brake calipers get upgraded with Shimano's Ice technology, featuring radiator backed metal pads and oversized 22mm ceramic pistons (rotors not included.)

Submitted by Richard Sharkey

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2012

Strengths:    Great reliable (sharp) brake (whenthey work)

Weaknesses:    Highly disposable, takes mineral oil

Bottom Line:
I fitted these new to my Whyte PRST4 worked great, changing pads great, been happy for two years, seel gone on either the caliper or the lever, and I'm being told that for the sake of a couple quid Shimano expect me to buy a new brake set, never will I buy Shimano again, Avid and Hope both supply seal kits for pennys

Submitted by cbenj42

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent modulation, even on loose, slippery descents. Single- Finger design allows for an ease of shifting while braking.

Weaknesses:    Stock metal brake pads engage too quickly. For optimal performance you need to pony up another $40 for resin pads.

Bottom Line:
These brakes work as well as anything I have ever ridden and are powerful, yet impossible to lock up. The only drawback I see is the performance of the metal pads it comes with. The resin pads perform substantially better.

Submitted by Stuart Smith a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2012

Strengths:    POWERFUL! Easy to set up, including adjusting hose length. Just cut and install the new hose barb (included) by using a mallet and the included hose-grabber-holder-thingy and screw on the compression fitting. I didn't even have to re-bleed the brakes!

Weaknesses:    Modulation isn't the best, but it may just be a function of me not being used to brakes that actually work.

Bottom Line:
My old Juicy 7s finally gave up the ghost on a recent trip to Fruita. I have Avid brakes on all the other bikes in my collection so I thought I should replace w/ a newer Avid product since I was familiar (all too familiar) with the bleeding procees, I had boatloads of DOT 5.1 and a bleed kit. The mechanic at Over the Edge Sports informed he they didn't carry Avid brakes given reliability issues (I've had my fair share) so I was compelled to get these XTs. Holy crap--I freaking LOVE these brakes and I can't believe they weren't on my radar before. Get them on Amazon. Free shipping on Prime. Low price (I had to buy the front at the bike shop and added the rear a week later...Amazon's price was about $75 cheaper). No brake fade either. I could smoke my Juicys on a long decent (203mm rotor BOTH front and rear) and they'd be worthless until I could cool them down. No chance on the XTs.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Juicy 7s. Codes (the real ones...not the sissy Rs). BB7s.

Bike Setup:   Banshee Prime 29er (pre-production model...when this bike is available to the general public...do yourself a favor and GET ONE!). Fox 34 29 fork. Stan's Flow Rims (36H front/rear). Chris King Hubs (15mm TA front, 150mm DH rear with SS driveshell). Deity Vendetta Cranks. Pretty much the raddest bike on the planet.

Submitted by wintersolstice a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth, quiet, excellent control, good feathering, good stopping power

Weaknesses:    The reservoir is a little too "bling"

Bottom Line:
I have just upgraded to these brakes after testing a number of other non-hydraulic disc brakes, and the difference is night and day. The stopping power is insane (expected from disc brakes), but the overall feel is fantastic.
These brakes feel so much smoother and responsive than the cable-based ones, and the feathering is nicer on the XT than on most of the Avid hydraulics - and with no DOT-3 brake fluid mess.
Easy to bleed, easy to refill, easy to clean. I think mineral oil was a really good choice.

The brake fade on long descents was almost unnoticeable, I had no issues even when I was riding the brakes. They are a great choice for stopping a large fast bike.

Got these for 300 installed, with rotors.

Favorite Trail:   National Trail, South Mtn

Purchased At:   Javelina

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR disc, Avid BB5, Avid Elixir 5, Shimano XTR V-brakes, Shimano SLX disc brakes

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fantom 29er frame, SRAM X9 drivetrain, Shimano XT Disc, Easton wheels/bars

Submitted by runbuddha

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    Super strong

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy

Bottom Line:
Great power...went from avids with a 180 upfront to just running these with 160's

Submitted by Greg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    Consistently spongy.
Consistently require a full purge.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, spongy feel, reach adjustment does nothing, extremely difficult to fully purge/bleed. Poor/disappointing power levels. Does not warrant its cost. Very expensive pad replacement costs.

Bottom Line:
I have 2 sets of the 775's. Each set with the 2 varieties of rotors available in 180/160, one being centre-lock. I have encountered endless poor power levels and the constant, consistently essential need for a full purge of the system every few months. This is time consuming and with the rediculous cost of Shimano oil...expensive & with no real advantages. I feel that the maintenance needs and spongy feel added to weak power levels render this brake only useful for XC......except that this is a heavy set of brakes. Very expensive pad replacement costs too.

Favorite Trail:   Llandegal Black

Similar Products Used:   Hope Mini, Mono Mini, Formula K24, Shimano Deore, Magura Julie.

Bike Setup:   Commencal Met 5.5 U.K

Submitted by Tom

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2012

Strengths:    Very good stopping power, very light, easy to maintain. no problems whatsoever.

Weaknesses:    they squeak very loud when they get wet. It is very annoying.

Bottom Line:
Very good breaks all around. theres really no weaknesses. i wouldnt use them for DH though because they may not be strong enough for extreme stopping power, but they are light, strong and easy to maintain. If you want silent brakes, these are not for you.

Submitted by chuckbuck a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento CA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2012

Strengths:    Jay-zus they are powerful. Almost too powerful. I like the heat sink thing they got on the pads. I like the mineral oil.

Weaknesses:    My set up didn't come with a rotor so I had to fork over another $45 for that.

Bottom Line:
Super powerful. If you want the tires not to continue rolling, squeeze the lever a little tiny bit, and just like that, you stop, bottom line. Awsome brakes, bottom line. If your in the market for new disc brakes, take a serious look at the XT from Shimano, they will stop your bike, abrubtly!

Favorite Trail:   any street with a curb

Purchased At:   Mad Cat Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Hayes 9

Bike Setup:   2006 Marin AXC B-17 hartail dirtjumper. All stock except the XT brakes on the front.

Submitted by MagicCarpet a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Queensland

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2012

Strengths:    Bleed once and forget. Adjustability. Extremely easy to change pads. Stop very well.

Weaknesses:    Can't find one after two years.

Bottom Line:
Very easy to set up never need bleeding again. We have very steep fire trails here and are often coming in to corners at 40MPH, reducing to >10MPH, where straight shooting spells disaster. I have confidence with these brakes and recomend them. They have been superceded and were recently on special for ridiculous prices. If you can find them, buy up.

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   I must admit, these are my first hydraulic brake, replacing BB7s, which I still use on another bike and like very much. The price I posted was per end.

Bike Setup:   203mm front and 160mm rear. Aligator Windcutter rotors. Clarks sintered rear and organic front.

Submitted by mhandgis a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Strengths:    Incredible brakes, they live up to everything I read. One finger stopping.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for new brakes buy these.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic

Purchased At:   Adventure Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Juicy 7, 1st gen XTR disc.

Bike Setup:   Blur LT, Fox Talas, Thompson, XTR trans, XT cranks, Mavic Crossmax wheels.

Submitted by Dan Parry a Weekend Warrior from Nottingham UK

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2011

Strengths:    ease of set up, installing new pads and bleeding

Weaknesses:    price of mineral oil

Bottom Line:
I've read many reviews on the XT's about their stopping power etc. I'm 240 lbs and I have no issues with these brakes being able to stop me. They work extremly well in all conditions just as long as they are bled and set up correctly. A really good all round brake thats easy to maintain :)

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere local

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   avid 5's hope mini's

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper pro

Submitted by angular momentum a Weekend Warrior from Norcal

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Good lever feel, modulation, caliper feedback (see bottom line), ease of bleed, pad clearance, durability, pad wear.

Weaknesses:    These brakes are weak, though not unacceptably so.

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure how some folks are actually lauding the XT's power--for it's really the only major drawback I have found. Even with 180mm rotor and metallic pads I cannot get these to lock up to do a nose wheelie or nose pivot. Granted, I weigh about 190 geared up. I believe the Elixirs and the Formulas are at least two steps higher in power. Otherwise, these brakes are solid, especially for a lighter, less aggressive rider.

Favorite Trail:   Demo forest

Similar Products Used:   Formula RX, Elixir 5, Hayes HFX, Magura Julie

Bike Setup:   '10 Blur LTc

Submitted by PauloC a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2011

Strengths:    Stopping power, relatively light weight, adjustable reach.

Weaknesses:    Noise! The rear brake squeals like a pig. Also relatively pricey.

Bottom Line:
The stopping power is really good and performance is consistent in the wet and dry, but the noise is unbearable. Apparently the organic/resin pads don't have the same problem, but the product comes with sintered metal pads so I can't comment on this yet.

Similar Products Used:   Tektro Auriga Comp

Submitted by zsabor a Cross Country Rider from Budapest, Hungary

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2010

Strengths:    Good stopping power, easy to adjust and to change pads

Weaknesses:    Both brakes died in cold weather after 2 days

Bottom Line:
I have the BR-M775 on my touring bike. Winter came, I continued riding. Temperatures dropped to -5 - -10°C. After two days, the rear brake started to behave as if it needed bleeding, and squeal horribly at the same time. One day later, it was completely dead, and the front brake started to exhibit the same symptoms. Next day the front brake was dead as well. When I checked them, I found that a lot of mineral oil was gone - onto the brake pads and rotors.
My LBS told me that the seals have a tendency to fail if temperatures get low. They are non-repairable, so I will need to get them replaced under warranty. Lucky I didn't go out touring in winter with these.
I also have the older model, BR-M765 on my other bike, which has been working without problems for 4 years. Interestingly enough, the older model can still be purchased new in some shops, and is more expensive than the 2008 model.
Don't buy it if you intend to ride throughout the year, and live in a part of the world where it gets cold during the winter.

Purchased At:   Came with bike