Shimano SLX BR-M665 Hydraulic Disc Brake System

4.3/5 (20 Reviews)

The SLX Disc Brake System offers 20% stronger stopping powerThanThe Deore LX BR-M585.The SLX Brake system also features improvedergonomics, direct cable routing, andTool-free reach adjustment and add inTheServo-Wave brake levers providing superb power and feel and you get a quality brake set. Optimized for 20% higher stopping power (than BR-M585) by servo wave Opposed 2-piston system New designed rotor Brake PadTypes: metallic / resin Hydraulic Fluid:Shimano genuine mineral oil Brake HoseType:

Submitted by Mr. Doom

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Strengths:    Look Good

Weaknesses:    I think I got a bad set.
After the fifth brake bleed and a hose swap + multiple pad/rotor combinations I gave up on them, they just would not bite in the good way, only the bad way. Got the newer 675 version and all is good. Both the front and rear were weak and not as powerful as my BB7's and cheap Tektro hydraulic brakes. (Had a 180mm rotor on the front BTW.)

Bottom Line:
As a shop mechanic I have worked on many shimano brakes for customers and never had the problems this model of mine had. New version is great.

Submitted by JP

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2013

Strengths:    Good stopping power

Weaknesses:    Long Pull
Sloppier the shorter you adjust the reach
Lever feels cheaply built

Bottom Line:
I switched from Avid Elixxer 5s. I will be going back very soon.

Submitted by Trevor a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2013

Strengths:    Stopping power, crisp feel, durable

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any

Bottom Line:
These came on my Fuji Outland and I have very impressed with them. They have taken some hard hits that would have damaged some other brands, but my levers and reservoir are intact and working great.

Submitted by Michael Yarros a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent Braking power.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Installed this a few months ago, huge improvement over the bb5 mechanical brakes I was using.

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   2008 Kona Blast fully upgraded.

Submitted by scrap15 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2011

Strengths:    no noise, super quiet, great modulatuin, fantastic stopping power, easy to remove pads, easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    none so far, except the look, rather bulky, but even that is growing on me

Bottom Line:
love these brakes! best ive used ever,
i hope they last forever.
id buy them if i were to build a bike from scratch without blinking.

Similar Products Used:   avid bb5, bb7, juicy 3 juicy 5 juicy 7

Bike Setup:   stock sette 1

Submitted by Hangtime a Weekend Warrior from Portland

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2011

Strengths:    Initial fit and feel is great. Using them with Avid 185 rotors and they match up well. Break in period was effortless and they have great power, I will switch out to metal pads in the front this summer for even more stopping power. Modulation is better than the Juicy sevens thay are replacing and zero turkey worbble noise.

Weaknesses:    I grew to like the Avid bar clamp system, Shimano is single bolt slide on. It holds in place well but for on/off ease avid is better.

Bottom Line:
So far these have been a very good buy. Initial power and feel is excellent. There is a lack of "Avid" noise that I grew to except as normal with the Juicy set up. I'm glad I bought these. I may buy a second pair for down the road at the price they are going for.

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy seven, Avid Code, Hayes Nine

Submitted by Vuco a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Strengths:    - Reliable on the trail, never faded on 185mm rotor (had no problems with leaking, riding in low temp. conditions)
- really easy to bleed
- good cheap aftermarket (superstar) pads
- pads retract far from rotor, so no rubbing on the rotor (servowave)
- silent in dry conditions, but on wet resin pads make some noise while breaking
- lever position (not that I've used it a lot, once positioned, didn't change it after - if too close to the bars, the brake will have less power so no use from this)
- great modulation (best I've ever seen on disc brakes)
- easy to change pads (pistons retract easily, not like on Juicy 3 where you need to remove some fluid from the brake)

Weaknesses:    - average power (I'm 83kg with 185mm rotor)

Bottom Line:
No other weaknesses really, but I'm little disappointed with the power segment. I've had Juicy 3 on the front that had a little less power than the SLX with the same size rotor - 160mm Shimano. SLX with the 185mm rotor gave some more power, but still nothing like one finger brake-ing on Avid Juicy 7 or Elixir brakes (if working properly) that I have tried. I could do a "stoppie" (getting my rear wheel of the ground while seated)with two fingers on the brakes (185mm rotor) and pulling it hard.

While on my brothers Juicy 7 and my friends Elixir CR I could do a "stoppie" with only one finger and with ease. But Avids have a lot of other problems (vibrating, squealing, factory bleeding is bad etc.).

Maybe I'm having trouble with my rotors ? Cause I have a feeling that the brake is very powerful, yet the friction coefficient between the rotor and the pads is low :(. Tried it with Shimano 160mm rotor (Deore class ?) and Avid G2 185mm with the Avid adapter.

About the pads
----------------------
Original Resin type pads lasted 1300km on the front. Very fast brake-in period (5-6 hard stops) and you have a fully functional brake.

Tried sintered from discobrakes - brake-in period is a lot longer (not knowing that, I've sold them after 60km thinking they are low power, but while removing them to send them to the buyer, I saw that they have braked-in only on the edges, and not in the center - probably needed some 50-60km or one great descent to be fully functional). They could easily be used on the rear where you don't need a lot of power pads since every hidraulic brake/pad can lock the rear wheel (even my Juicy 3 with 160mm rotor can do it =)). And would probably last more than the resin pads ;)

Then got organic from superstar. They are cheaper than the original Shimano pads, have the same power, same fast brake in period but I don't know how long will they hold. I' would be happy if they last 750km in dry conditions, since they are 3x cheaper than the originals.

Overall rating is higher cause you can use a 203mm and have decent power and they are problem free brakes, low maintenance, easy bleed, great modulation.

Favorite Trail:   Medvednica

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 3, Juicy 7 (my brothers brakes), Avid Elixirs CR (friends)

Bike Setup:   Focus Thunder full suspension with 130mm of travel, Monarch 3.1, rear Juicy 3 brake, Mavic 317 wheels, DT Swiss spokes, Spec hubs, Deore shifters and FD and XT Shadow RD.

Submitted by Allan a Cross Country Rider from nabua, philippines

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2010

Strengths:    nice look,great stopping power, and less maintenance...best brakes i,ve ever had...my fingers does'nt stiffen when im pulling the levers for long descents because its fluid actuated...my v-brakes do,coz of the cable friction.

Bottom Line:
best for all types of riding...

Favorite Trail:   mt. asog

Purchased At:   bikeshop,quiapo, man

Similar Products Used:   this is my first hydraulic,been using xt v-brakes,awkward of using hydraulic brakes then coz of weight penalty,but its worth the switch coz you'll love the power of hydraulics...

Bike Setup:   xc

Submitted by Damage a Weekend Warrior from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2010

Strengths:    Super Powerful, easy to bleed, Its Shimano so parts are easy to come by, easy to set up, and they LOOK awesome!

Weaknesses:    Only problem I have had so far is with the rotors. I have the splined versions, and where the rotor is rivited to the body it has a little bit of play in it. I got these replaced under warranty so all good, BUT the new ones have this too after only 2 months use. I'm going to upgrade to the XT rotors and see how they go. But otherwise these brakes are brillant!

Bottom Line:
These brakes are brillant, apart from the rotors!

Favorite Trail:   WOA Trails

Purchased At:   Cycle Science

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicys/Elixir,Hayes Strokers, Hayes HFX, Shimano Deore, Shimano XT, Magura Marthas, Hope

Bike Setup:   GT Zasakr Carbon Expert, Stock with a FSA Gravity Carbon riser.

Submitted by rhyko a Weekend Warrior from Newport, S.Wales

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2010

Strengths:    Best brakes ive had by far.
very powerfull, no fade halfway down descent, very reliable, im very happy

Weaknesses:    A little hard to feather in wet conditions, slightly on off due to how powerful they are.
the pads that come with them are rubbish (resin fibres), changed pads to sinterd and wow what an amazing brake!
also the hoses are really long and need to be cut down.

Bottom Line:
LOve these brakes, seriously good value and so so powerful!

five faming hot mexican chillis with scotch bonnet peppers from me

Favorite Trail:   Local natural DH

Purchased At:   Chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 3(rubbish) Hayes Stroker (not sure yet on new bike, seem rubbish but probably poor pads)

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance AM set up 180mm front, 160mm rear, however may put these brakes on my Reign X as they seem more powerful than the Hayes strokers

Submitted by johnstoc a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, plenty powerful, ridiculously easy to bleed and swap pads.

Weaknesses:    Took me quite a while to get everything set up right, lots of tinkering and tweaking to get rid of massive squeal and "crunchy" lever feel... but great now.

Bottom Line:
Great brake, inexpensive, so easy to bleed and change pads a cave man can do it (shame on you Avid!).

Maybe you can learn from my problems:
1. Front was squeeling like CRAZY, i'm talking like laying a car horn on any extended DH section, enough to send the wildlife into the next county. Resin pads seem to have resolved this.

2. Crunchy lever feel. Took me forever and some frustration to figure this out. The metal pad backing slides against the inside of the caliper body and was making a horrible crunchy/grinding/jank feeling when the lever was pulled. Clean streak the hell out of the caliper body (no pads in) and sand the edges (front edge) of the metal pad backing with some 220 wet/dry sandpaper. Also the XTR pads seemed to not have this problem (they are Ti backed not steel.)

Favorite Trail:   Like em all

Similar Products Used:   Juicy 3, 5, 7, ultimate, elixirs, Shimano XTR hydros

Bike Setup:   Squishy XC endurance race rig.

Submitted by yeahdog31 a Cross Country Rider from South Central Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Affordable upgrade, quality, effortless stopping power, builds confidence on the trail

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
**Review is for the SLX 203mm Brake Rotor ONLY**

I purchased this larger rotor for the front of my bike, and once I got the correct mounting adaptor, slapped it on. For the most part, I was happy with the stock Shimano M486 Hydraulic brakes that came on my Piranha, at least for casual and spirited XC. However, some of my favorite trails around here are quite technical and there are some wicked fast downhill sections. Occasionally, I would experience brake fade and just not quite the stopping power I needed.

This larger rotor is an amazing upgrade for the price. It's almost as if I have a whole new brakeset on the front of my bike! Stopping force is probably almost twice what it was with the stock rotor. Installation was a breeze.

Shimano's SLX line of components is really beginning to impress me. I think I'm going to have to get a matching 160mm rotor for the back now!

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Avid BB7 Roundagon Rotors, Shimano RM-53 (160mm) rotors

Bike Setup:   '09 Gary FIsher Piranha, quickly becoming a custom rig.

Submitted by Kimchirider a Weekend Warrior from Jecheon, South Korea

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2009

Strengths:    They work, for one. Good modulation, good power, low fade.

Weaknesses:    Too much lever travel for my tastes.

Bottom Line:
I gave the Quad brakes that came on the Heckler a chance, and they seemed OK, if not as strong as the old XT brakes I had on my previous bike. Then I went to the ski hill (it's small, so not like doing Whistler) and they got scary. By the end of each run the levers would be to the grip, and it was getting worse as the day went on. I decided to not mess around and went back to Shimano. SLX parts can be had in Korea for not much more than in the US, unlike most other things, and pads are available, so that sealed the deal. First day back on the ski hill and I had no more fade issues and was not worrying about my brakes all the way down. Priceless!

Favorite Trail:   Ha So Ri

Purchased At:   Bikecruz

Similar Products Used:   Quad, 2002 Shimano XT.

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler, Van 36 fork, DHX 5 shock, Ringle Str8 Track wheels, XT drivetrain.

Submitted by rabidchicken a Weekend Warrior from Fort Myers, FL

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Strengths:    -Stylish
-Easy to install
-Easy lever reach adjustment
-Stop nicely
-Quiet

Weaknesses:    The only problem I had is also a strength. The brakes came prebled and ready to install. The problem is that my brake cables route through the frame's rear suspension. I had to disassemble the rear suspension to fit the caliper through the frame.

Bottom Line:
I am 100% pleased with my purchase. I researched Juicy 7s, Elixirs, Strokers, and Shimanos. After ready the reviews on the problems associated with the Avids and Strokers I narrowed it down to the Shimanos. It was a toss up between the SLX and XT discs. I soon realized i would simply be buying the "XT" logo if I went with the more expensive XTs at $300. I ended up ordering a set of SLX from blue sky for $200.

My old mechanical Deore brakes seemed to be either on or off. After the first ride with the SLX brakes, I realized what I was missing. I rarely locked my brakes up and was in full control of my bike's speed.

I never knew hydraulics were this different than mechanical brakes... Then again, it could be that I was just using really low end mechanical discs.

Purchased At:   Blue Sky