Shimano Deore XT BR-M785 Hydraulic Disc Brake System

4.64/5 (58 Reviews)

These Shimano XT Disc Brakes M785 are a big improvement over old XT brakes. At first glance you'll see how they use an in-line master cylinder as opposed to the radial design of the M-775. This allows a lighter weight system and an easier bleed process. They still use mineral oil as a hydraulic fluid. The great part is that it's non-toxic and non-corrosive. If you spill some when you bleed your brakes, there's nothing to worry about.They take their design cues from the new XTR M988 Trail Brakes. And though these might not be as visually refined as the highly polished XTR units, the performance speaks for itself. This is hands down the best XT brake we've ever ridden. In addition to the excellent power and modulation, the XT Brakes offer easy adjustment to make your hands happy and to give you ultimate control. There is a tool-free reach adjustment that you can dial on-the-fly. They also have a free stroke adjustment that lets you determine how far you like the blade to travel before your pads make contact with the rotor. You can dial them to perfection.Sizewise, the M785 levers are much lower profile than the M775 levers, but more importantly, the movement of the lever pivot towards the bar creates a more ergonomic design. In essence, the arc of the lever optimizes your natural finger movement and position of strength with the point in the lever travel where your power is transferred through the system to the caliper. These also feature Shimano's Servo Wave technology. Servo Wave allows the pads to sit further from the rotors at rest (a great feature for trail/all mountain bikes that might see more rotor abuse than a race machine). This is possible as the piston travel changes relative to lever travel as you squeeze on the brakes to close the gap to the rotor quickly, then slowing to allow predictable modulation.The calipers use a 22mm ceramic piston for inspiring stopping power, and Shimano has brought back a banjo fitting for the hose attachment at the caliper.

Submitted by mtnbikej a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2012

Strengths:    Gobs and Gobs of power
Nice Feel at Lever
Easy to Bleed

Weaknesses:    Expensive if you paid retail
Metallic Pads
Don't include rotors.....especially at price.
Takes a while to break in

Bottom Line:
Been on these brakes for about 3 months now. Been running Elixir R's on my SS.

Built up a new SS and heard good things about these, so decided to give them a go.

Hoses were too long for my L Highball, so had to immediately shorten the hoses. Simple task, but bleeding the brakes was kinda a pain without the bleed cup. Micky Moused my own cup and made it work. No loss in performance since then.

First ride out I found them to be waaaayyy too grippy......like lock of the wheels with just light pressure on the bars. Thought this may have been caused partially by the Avid G3 160mm rotors I am running. I found myself a bit timid to break with the front wheel in turns....felt like it wanted to tuck under me. After about 1.5 weeks of riding they bedded in and all was good. Feel at the lever got better and I was able to modulate them the way I wanted. I could only imagine how these work on a bike with 8" rotors.

I have run older 765 XT's in the past and these are much nicer. Not sold on the looks, but they function very well.

I have had some issues with noise coming from the pads. The Metallic pads, mixed with the Avid rotors causing a horrific squeal when they get hot. Planning to swap out for ICE Tech rotors and organic pads.

I run them on the SS so I don't know how well the levers mate up with the X.0 Grip shift I would normally run.

Only wish they included the rotors.

After the first couple of rides, thought for sure I would be selling these quick. They have grown on me.

Good brakes for sure.