Shimano Deore LX M585 Disc Brake System

• Mount Type: International; A-type; Post mount type
  • Piston: Opposed 2-piston

Submitted by Seba911 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Strengths:    brakes only works when no problem
easy to bleed

Weaknesses:    no power, master cylinder problems, pistons not coming out equal on the caliper
air comes easily in

Bottom Line:
don't take them even if you find them cheap in second hand

Purchased At:   came stock on bike

Submitted by nasty610 a Weekend Warrior from Goldsboro, NC USA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2011

Strengths:    power & control

Weaknesses:    stock pads suck

Bottom Line:
I picked these up on ebay witht he dual control levers. At first I thought these brakes were terrible. They didn't seem to have any power, no control and absolutely no feedback. Apparently Shimano spec'd resin pads stock. Well I had destroyed those in a few rides. I bought a set of sintered pads and it was like I put new brakes on. I had more power than I knew what to do with, great control and finally some feed back. The sinitered pads helped with fade on long downhills but didn't make it go away completely. I have no idea how they would perform with a 160 rotor since I already had 203 f/r on my bike but I know with the big rotors and sintered these things are awesome.

Favorite Trail:   N/A

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   hayes(mechanical & hydro), avid

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT 1.0 lx group Fox 36 RC2

Submitted by Reachcontrol a Weekend Warrior from Swannanoa, NC

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, effective, not a single problem with reliability

Weaknesses:    Minor fade as mentioned in several reviews.

Bottom Line:
They work. They work well. They have never kept me from riding. You may notice some fade, but for the price I'm happy. I really don't notice any difference from the XTs I had previously.

I say an upgrade to 185mm rotor in the front would improve any minor deficiency.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Pen Gap

Purchased At:   Rocky Mtn Cycles Eba

Similar Products Used:   Magura Louise BATs, XT m765, Juicy 5s and 7s.

Bike Setup:   Blur 4x, RS Sektor, Sram X7, LX Cranks, PUSHed RP23

Submitted by aldar a Downhiller from Czech Rep.

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent braking power, very reliable

Weaknesses:    A little bit heavy, but the few extra grams are weight is worth it!

Bottom Line:
excellent brake for the money! Looks good also, i highly recommend it

Purchased At:   bike-eshop.cz

Similar Products Used:   Avid juicy 3

Submitted by nick314 a Weekend Warrior from Annapolis, MD

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2009

Strengths:    good quality, great feel, good modulation, price($50 for both the brake and STI levers), confident one fingered braking, all around good

Weaknesses:    definitely loses some power on long downhills, I was kind of indifferent to the STI levers

Bottom Line:
amazing price($50 each), good quality and dependability, i feel safe going fast
the STI levers neither improved nor detracted from my riding experience...not sure i like them but i definitely don't mind them
consistent and predictable performance
(i have both brakes in 160mm)

Purchased At:   backcountryoutlet.co

Similar Products Used:   Hayes HFX 9, Avid BB7, juicy's

Bike Setup:   03 GT avalanche, xt-ish drivetrain, dt/xt wheels, old manitou axel fork

Submitted by mrilo a Cross Country Rider from Dallas

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    Great stopping power, awesome feel / modulation, reliable, good price.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Great brakes for the money, these replaced the Avid Juicy 5’s that were stock on my hi-fi and I will not look back. They are super responsive and unlike my juicy’s they are very quiet. I had so many problems with the juicy’s, replaced pads/ rotors, finally switched because Jenson were selling these cheap. I love the feel of the LX’s and stop me just as good as the juicy’s. Though I do miss having the 185mm rotor in front, for the shimano’s I had to with 160 front / rear, but I have not noticed a difference. I have heard from others that they do not perform well on long downhill’s because of the mineral oil, well I did not have that problem, I took the LX’s to Colorado on some long fire road/single-track descents and did not lose any power. That’s just my $.02

Favorite Trail:   IDB

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 5’s, BB7

Bike Setup:   08 Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe

Submitted by Lateapexgt3 a Racer from Rocklin, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2009

Strengths:    Super value

Weaknesses:    Not the coolest looking brakes, and a little heavy. Lever adjustment is kind of a pain

Bottom Line:
I havent seen a better brake for the money. I get a lot better bite with EBC Red pads but they are not the greatest for the wet. Yes the new brakes with the adjustable pads are much tricker. I wish these didnt work so well because it makes it so difficult for me to drop $400 on the Elixir CRs or new XT's. I just noticed this set for $40 at Jensen. I ride hard and drop all the big hills in Nor Cal. 15 years of hardcore experience....

Similar Products Used:   Hayes, Elixir

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush

Submitted by dirt_merchant a Racer from Philly

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2009

Strengths:    Great feel and modulation

Weaknesses:    Every WINTER they leak oil down at the Calipers onto the rotor and that ruins the pads. So plan to have to replace the pads EVERY winter at least once, or 2-3 times if you ride a lot in the cold weather...

Bottom Line:
This is just a pain in the ass and costs a little more money that I wish, but the brakes are still awesome and this little problem is an inconvenience but that's about it...

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT755 calipers and Saint levers

Bike Setup:   Kona Coiler 5" suspension

Submitted by jt a Cross Country Rider from hawaii

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2008

Strengths:    Levers are very comfortable for XC or DH riding, easy setup, price, never needed adjustment after proper setup, very powerful, interchangable with other shimano brake parts.

Weaknesses:    Initial bleeding can take a little time, but once set never had any problems with squealing, rubbing, etc. Prefer the shimanos to the maguras which would stick and rub constantly.

Bottom Line:
5 chilies

Similar Products Used:   avid bb, xt 775, saints, louise, marta

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from France

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    Maintenance (basically none required other than cleaning in 3 years) and reliability - no failures, ever.

Weaknesses:    Technical downhills can show up some fairly substantial limitations. To be fair, these are not downhill brakes though, so I push them a little further than they were designed for. I do not like the integrated shifter and lever combination, but I should have thought more about the implications of this when I bought the bike; my fault.

Bottom Line:
Very shimano - not very pretty, but ultra reliable and functional. As I mentioned, they can be made to show their limits fairly easily, but my basis for comparison are my Hope Mono M4's on my other bike which is not really comparing like with like. I have used shimano pads, BB pads and I think Grimeca (?) pads which were sintered. To be honest, I have not felt any difference and the longevity appeared to be similar. The modulation is not bad, but the limitations shown on long downhills result in a very perceptible reduction in lever travel (and modulation - much more resistance to the lever pull) and this can give you some old-school (from cable canti brake days) forearm fatigue. Good if you want to work that forearm definition though... Overall, think about what you want to use them for - cross country and small downhills they would be an excellent choice. Any longer or more technical downhills and I would consider looking elsewhere for something a bit more substantial.

Purchased At:   Stock with bike

Similar Products Used:   Hope Mono M4

Bike Setup:   Scott MC40 - pretty much stock setup

Submitted by Z2adambomb a Weekend Warrior from Durhamm NC

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    very inexpensive, reliability, modulation, availability of parts, ease of setup, tons of options for setup

Weaknesses:    stock resin pads lose power in wet conditions, shimano brake lines are very thin and kink easily

Bottom Line:
This is going to be a lengthly description, mostly because I think these brakes have a lot of potential that most folks don't realize due to the LX label. I'll try to organize my comments :)
Overall performance: I've run these and the Hones (exact caliper, different paint and metalic pads)for a year now and I've been very pleased. I've used most brands disc brakes and am very critical of modulation and progressive power. The LX units have a very smooth application of power, they're easy to feather in rough conditions, yet still can apply consistent power with one finger when needed. I would say as an all around brake, these (w/metalic pads) are a better option than the M4's I was running. They don't put out the fade-free power under long descents, but the modulation and feel is better. They're quiet and smooth, but I would definitely recommend running the metalic pads for more power and wet weather. The resin pads in my experience have lost significant power under muddy/wet conditions, but my hones with metalic pads don't have the same effect. this is an easy fix for the LX caliper by just swapping pads.
Setup: This is an area where the shimano units really shine. Almost all shimano disc calipers on the market now are the same general unit with subtle style differences... Hone, LX, XT, Deore, they're all pretty much the same brake, so to get it for $32 a wheel is outstanding. The best part is you can mix and match adapters, rotors, and levers. Any shimano lever will work with any shimano caliper. I wanted to run 185mm hope rotors with my hones so I just used an avid 185mm PM adapter and voala perfect match. the calipers are all PM like avid's units so you just mate them with the appropriate adapter and you're set (even if the adapters are from different brands). I use Avid G2 185's and 165's on my ventana and hope 185mm lightning bolt rotors with the hones and the setup works perfectly. If you mix rotors, do check thickness. Shimano rotors are a bit thin if I'm not mistaken, so you might not get the appropriate pad clearance with a thicker rotor. I can account for Hope, Avid, Shimano, and Hayes rotors though - they all worked for me. (magura might be too thick)
Complaints: hose! they work fine in most conditions, but the hoses are thin - compare to Magura especially. Mine got kinked from a minor pull when removing a fork. If you're doing higher impact technical riding, I'd recommend running SS lines or something with say a magura hose and shimano fittings. I have yet to try this though. Suprisingly, it's hard to find hose kits for Hone/LX... most kits available are for XTR (use banjos). Hone/LX uses dual M8x.75 male fittings. I've found MANY errors on websites for goodridge lines saying the 108 kit works for LX/Hone... but it's not the right hardware - no banjos. I've already mentioned the pad issue in wet weather, but the metalic pads included with hone or available separately solve that. If you're a DHer, these will show some minor fade. I pushed the resin pads several times on a fairly high speed (~35mph) 9 minute DH trail and the last few minutes they were showing fade. I haven't pushed the hones w/metalic pads on the same run yet though.

Overall, with the metalic pads and a solid line, these brakes are hard to beat for a versatile and reliable all around setup. If you are doing prolonged high speed descents, you may want a larger caliper (Gustav/M4/Code) with less fade, but for the vast majority of trail riding, these are a great buy and perform exceptionally well.

Favorite Trail:   it's a secret

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Hope M4's and minis, Formula K18's, Hayes Mags, Magura Louise FR and Julies, Juicy 5's and 7's, Shimano Hone and XT.

Bike Setup:   Ventana salty, 5" rockers, quad bearings, HD main pivot, pused float, Fox 32 Van RLC, XTR drivetrain, RF crank BB, Hadley/DT 5.1 wheels, Shimano LX levers, LX calipers.

Submitted by willem3 a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2008

Strengths:    I have the 08' XT's on my other machine. These turned out to be great for my singlespeed. They do not squeek. They have excellent stopping power. Once I broke them in, they were awesome.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Buy them. Great price, nice brakes.. Can't go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   North Fork

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   XT Brakes, Avid, Hayes

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Comandante 08 Frame with Fox F29 80mm RLC Fork and all the best stuff..

Submitted by Edgar a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    Stops really well, doesn't squeek, easy to install and bleed

Weaknesses:    weight? But who the hell really cares about a 100g (.2 pounds) difference?

Bottom Line:
Replace the pads in my BB5s for $32, or for under $150, I was able to upgrade to hydro calipers, rotors, brake lines and levers.

My first time on hydros, there is no comparison between cable pull and hydro. I'm sure these weigh more than more expensive setups, but they are a great value and slow me down in a hurry.

I ride faster now, knowing these will grind me to a halt in no time. Have ridden them through mud and rain with zero issues.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com