Shimano Deore Hydraulic Disc Brake System

4.31/5 (150 Reviews)

Shimano’s newest and most affordable hydraulic disc brake! Lightweight dual-piston fixed calipers offer impressive stopping power at reasonable weight, and the forged 2-finger levers give you all the braking control you’ll need for any XC adventure. Convenient nylon hydraulic hose is easily cut to fit any frame configuration, and thanks to the mineral oil-based system, the Deore Hydraulic Disc offers top performance in all conditions without the difficulties of dealing with harsher DOT-rated brake fluids. Includes stainless 6” rotor, mounting hardware, and adaptor for international standard disc tabs

Submitted by Mike C

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2013

Strengths:    BR-M596 review - Nice two fingered operation. Great modulation. Easy to lock up the rears when needed. Not too heavy. Bullet-proof Shimano engineering and build quality. Nice and inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    None noticed after 1 month of use.

Bottom Line:
Bought my initial Deore BR-M596's to replace a Formula Sport set on my K2 Razorback. I was so impressed that I later replaced the Quad QHD-1's on my second bike ( a Kona Four) with another set of BR-M596's. I ride 2-3 times a week, mostly XC. These are the nicest of the 4-5 hydraulic sets i have owned.

Submitted by Jesse845

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2012

Strengths:    Slows me down QUIETLY

Weaknesses:    Does not have an XTR logo on it

Bottom Line:
I bought these brakes to upgrade from Tekto Novella mechanical disc brakes. The Tektros squeaked and squeeled horribly, and made other noises that made me question how long they would work for. The Deores have worked quietly and reliably for the last year. I have no complaints. I weigh over 250 pounds and am mostly a cross country rider, with some all mountain attempts thrown in occasionally. These brakes work fine for my style of riding.

Submitted by nuno_machuqueiro a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    M596 review
great power - one finger use
good modulation
not that heavy sub 300gr

Weaknesses:    ???
its not bling ??

Bottom Line:
amazing brakes for the price- for shure best power / feeling / weight brakes on the market
doesen´t feel cheap
original pads are organic, on sintered pads probably even more power!!

Favorite Trail:   Arrabida

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:   legendbikes

Similar Products Used:   juicy 7 on braided hoses, some hayes

Bike Setup:   SC Nomad

Submitted by SuperSoup a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Strengths:    this review is for the 2012 deore dynasys brakeset
this brake is very reliable, after 11 months of using, it never leaked or stop working always works well
the stopping power is enough for am (im 55kg), and it didn't squeak when dry

Weaknesses:    lack of power when on a damp and wet place and it squeaks. but its not an annoyingly loud squeak

Bottom Line:
i'll recommend xc riders buying this brake if you have a tight budged

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Bike Setup:   local bike frame, full deore 2012 groupset, xt 2012 wheelset, fox float 2009

Submitted by DSDuke a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    Powerful, simple, user friendly brake at a great price.

Weaknesses:    Very little modulation. A light touch is required to keep from locking them up, but that's really just nit-picking.

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough about these brakes. They are a PHENOMENAL value. They work great, are easy to set-up and are just about the cheapest disc brake out there.

I am running a set of Deores on my Niner EMD9 hardtail that are 8 years old!! They came on my '04 Spec Enduro and I have carried over from bike to bike to bike. And I've only had to have them bled 1 time!!

I am running Formula Oro's on my Niner RIP9--they are a better brake but are incredibly finicky. Considering how finicky they are and how much more expensive they are than the Deores (that I currently run on my Niner HT), I sometimes wonder if the Formulas are worth it.

The only weakness I can find is that the Deores are kind of an ON/OFF brake. There isn't a lot of modulation--it takes a delicate touch to keep from locking them up.

But considering how bomb proof and fool proof they are, added to the fact they are inexpensive and you can't go wrong.

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 7--crap, Shimano XT--2 sets both junk-go figure, Hayes 9's--OK, Formula Oro K24--Nice but real expensive.

Bike Setup:   I have run Deores on: Yeti 575, Turner 5 Spot, Spec Enduro, Niner RIP9, SC Nomad and various hardtails both 26er and 29er.

Submitted by Paul Beckett a Weekend Warrior from Herts United kingdom

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2011

Strengths:    Having never had disc brakes before I was surpirsed at the sheer stopping power of these Brakes. Its also nice that they use standard mineral oil not hydraulic fluid so easy to get new fluid for and plenty of cheap spares.

Weaknesses:    Few if any, as user friendliness seems amazing.

Bottom Line:
For and entry level brake as others have said this is an amazing setup. Built like an AK47 and with plenty of cheap easily available spares.

Brilliant peformance given the prices. If you want better sure you can upgrade, but will you get much better performance given the extra money spent? probably not I think.

Favorite Trail:   Karrimor Run Harlech North Wales

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   None, never had disc brakes before only rim brakes

Bike Setup:   Specilaised Rockhopper 2004

Submitted by Deny a Weekend Warrior from Garut

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Strengths:    it's very comportable, smooth and brake well. I recommend this to all!

Bottom Line:
best

Favorite Trail:   Garut

Purchased At:   local store

Submitted by sam-L a Cross Country Rider from robina, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2010

Strengths:    once worn in, they will lock up so well. couldnt get any pair of brakes as good as these for the price you pay for them.

Weaknesses:    nothing, their fantastic

Bottom Line:
if you are looking for a pair of hydraulic brakes and dont want to spend much.
BUY EM!!

Favorite Trail:   nerang state forest

Bike Setup:   specialized epic

Submitted by Luke_2010 a Weekend Warrior from Cairns. Australia

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to bleed. Easy to fit pads. Easy to adjust. Runs on mineral oil. Works as well as brake that are twice the price. Very reliable.

Weaknesses:    I can't really fault this product.

Bottom Line:
I quite like these brakes. They are a breeze to bleed and set up, no specialised equipment required (apart from the mineral oil). I've never found them lacking for power or modulation and there seems to be a fair variety of pads available to suit most applications. I recommend Ashima SOS pads up front and semi-metal pads at the back to control heat build up.
Obviously the more expensive Shimano brakes would be lighter and more performance oriented, but for someone on a budget these will not disappoint.

Favorite Trail:   The Bump Track

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Hayes sole's, Avid Juicy fives, Avid elixir, BB7's, a variety of V brakes.

Bike Setup:   '06 Reign. 203mm front rotors, 160mm rear rotors.

Submitted by cfr a Weekend Warrior from portugal

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2009

Strengths:    M555, fantastic brake, could be more lighter but for the price who cares, they are not xc brakes. a use it for freeride and recently i change rotors to Y2Z 180mm and change the pads and fu... yeah, man they brake, huge diference (shimano brake pads, very rare to find.i bleed the brake one time and change hoses when i bought it because they are and second hand. never have problems, amazing brake

Weaknesses:    sometimes i have to adjust rotors and its hard to find shimano brake pads, they are the best pads but i recently try QUAD brake pads and they work fine.

Bottom Line:
nothing to say

Submitted by lampy29 a Racer from Rochester

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    Great breaking power once pads are broken in
Excellent modulation for the price
Cheap for hydraulic disk brakes

Weaknesses:    Some disk rub after 1 year of use
Heavy, but for this price what do you expect?

Bottom Line:
The Shimano Deore Hydros are excellent for XC where weight isn't an issue (or you don't have the money to go lighter...) they work well in winter below freezing, mud, and rain. Paired with the Deore levers they have excellent modulation if they're set up right.

Favorite Trail:   Letchworth

Purchased At:   Towpath - LBS

Similar Products Used:   Deore Mechanical
Deore V-Brake
Juicy Ultimate

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Tassajara

Submitted by Jon a Downhiller from Aberystwyth (Wales)

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    bombproof, bleeding is almost idiot-proof, cheap compared to other products, very strong, nice modulation. No noise, even on the wettest and gunk-covered trails. Pads last ages (mine are only worn by 1/3rd and they've been ridden every weekend since I got them), and I'm a pad killer

Weaknesses:    Screws for the reservoir are a bit weak, but that's it.

Bottom Line:
These work nicely for DH, and even for budget competition one of these out back is probably OK with a decent sized rotor(though the LX is probably better for that). They are very good for XC and no problems there at all.

I run 160mm F+R, and the only problem is an absence of power on DH out front which can be corrected with a 180mm rotor (mind you, I'm the only person I know of who runs 160mm on the local DH trail).

I have demoed Formulas on a Commencal supreme with 180mm rotors. In all honesty the difference in stopping power was only marginal. Unless you are a full on racer then these will do the job very well, though if you can afford it the XT or XTR ones are much nicer. Make sure you get the right rotor size rather than anything else, this is what matters most. You will see more benefit sticking a larger rotor on these brakes than replacing them with XT or XTR or anything else.

These brakes are cheap and brilliant. I will buy one for the rear of my new DH bike, and the only reason I'm not getting one for the front is 'cos my mate is throwing in a Hope E4 with the rig I'm buying off him. A truly outstanding brake.

Note: these brakes are actually very forgiving despite their power so would make ideal brakes for riders with a lack of confidence, as whilst they will stop you easily and quickly, with a 160mm rotor it takes real effort to go over the bars, even on steep sections.

Favorite Trail:   UK Bike Park / Brechfa

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   V-brakes, Demoed Formulas

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock, 2004 Drop off Comps, Conti Verticals, standard issue Spesh kit, V8 pedals, SRAM drive train (X5 rear, x7 shifter and Acera mech front)

Submitted by smonroe100 a Cross Country Rider from Auburn CA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2009

Strengths:    They stop the bike with out any problems... what more could you ask for. But if you do want more; modulation, smooth operation, very little maintenance required, simplicity (ie no crazy adjustments or dials that clutter up the bars), and in the end they stop the bike just as well as most other brakes I have tried.

Weaknesses:    Pads can be difficult to find now because they are a few design generations old. But just have your LBS order you several sets.

Bottom Line:
Bled these brakes when I installed them 4+ years ago, and recently bled them again when I put them on a different bike and had to shorten the hose. These brakes are hassle free and work better than some of the more complicated systems on the market IMHO. If you want a simple set up or can get these for a deal jump on them... they work great

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Purchased At:   Auburn Bike Works

Bike Setup:   Steel SS

Submitted by Oracle7775 a Weekend Warrior from Saukville, Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Strengths:    Reviewing the Deore M535 system.
Great system at a great price, came pre-bled, good stopping power right out of the box and getting better with each ride, good modulation, solid construction, no noise when mated with my Gator rotors (even when wet).

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Terrific brakes for the price. I like them better than the Avid Mech's. I never thought I'd be able to get a good set of hydro brakes for under $100, but these definitely fit the bill for XC riding. We don't have any 1000 foot downhills in Wisconsin, so I can't tell you how they'd perform on the Front Range, but they definitely do the job for me. They came fully assembled and pre-bled, so it was just bolt em up and go. No mess, no fuss, no need to spend an hour tweaking and adjusting, as I've had to do with the Avid hydros. I don't know how they work with other rotors, but they are terrific with my Gator serrated rotors.

Favorite Trail:   John Muir