Shimano BR-M596 Disc Brake System

• Hose Length: Front: 1000mm/ Rear: 1700mm
  • 2 piece forged/ machined 2 piston caliper design
  • For use with RapidFire Shifters (ISpec Compatible)

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2013

Strengths:    Great Value.
Entry Level.
Easy to setup.

Weaknesses:    Brake Lines are waaay too long, ideally you will want to shorten them. Have lots of zip ties handy if you don't want to shorten the rear line.

Bottom Line:
I am a beginner MTB'er. I decided to take the plunge and do a scratch build with an older, but still relevant frame I had. Please keep in mind I have entry level experience doing this kind of thing and definitely no experience in regards to building a bike from the frame up. Only thing I have is my common sense and the ability to properly research topics.

I had done my homework so it was either these Deore M596's or the Deore XT's. I wanted to stick to a budget, and I figured if I got into MTB'ing a little more I could spend more money on higher end stuff next build. I bought the front and rear Deore M596's for the same price as one of the Deore XT's. Bought some adaptors and two Ashima AR0-08 rotors, 160mm for the rear and a 180mm for the front.

Total cost: $60 each for the front and rear Deore M596's = $120. Both rotors were $11 each = $22. Adaptors were Shimano brand and were $15 each = $30. Complete braking setup = $172.

The install was a complete DREAM. I was expecting issues centering the calipers to the rotors but there were none . Calipers aligned instantly and perfectly the first time by simply loosening the bolts so the caliper can move side to side, squeezing the brake so it grabs and centers the rotor, then tightening the bolts back down while squeezing the brakes still. Perfect.

Braking power is more than what I expected for a first timer after I wore them in. Literally stops on a dime. Reach adjust for the levers is definitely accessible but you will need to an allen key to adjust it.

Brake lines however are waaay to long, especially the rear. Front brake line can be cut 4-5 inches and still have plenty of room. Rear brake line can be trimmed as much as a FOOT or more depending on your frame. I had to zip tie the rear line up the seat stay, down the seat tube, and back up the bottom tube. The length is perfectly fine to be honest, as long as its out of the way which it is, but I will be shortening it and replacing it with Jagwire hosing and rebleeding the brakes in the process for the experience.

The front brake line however is simply too long, you just can't cut the slack or reroute it with zipties, it's in the way, and you WILL want to shorten it.

Bottom line: These brakes are simply amazing for the price, and were a DREAM to setup. Couldnt have asked for anything better.