Shimano BR-M575 Disc Brake System

2.71/5 (7 Reviews)

• Opposed 2-piston design
  • Strong stopping power with precision control
  • Flip flop lever design
  • Open clamp band
  • Resin/metal pad options

Submitted by ivar

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2013

Strengths:    good feel. noticeable more stopping power than other bikes on the home w/ lesser grated shimano brakes.

Weaknesses:    constantly changes, if i leave the bike for a few days the brake pedal feels numb.

Bottom Line:
they are good brakes, my bike is around 11kg's and it has noticeable strong brakes. but the loose power, i often take the wheel off and brake a little bit and install the wheel agen, then they feel much stronger

Submitted by Pro

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2012

Strengths:    Great stopping power.

Weaknesses:    After storing the bike for the winter, braking performance degraded and the levers feel spongy.

Bottom Line:
Great stopping power.
(I only ride in the dry here in Cyprus it hardly rains), even after repeated braking going downhill almost no fade.

I will bleed them but don't know why this has happened, the hoses are intact and I haven't opened the valves or anything.
I have also checked the pads and both front and back have 2mm left on them.

Also, they are expensive to replace pads and need special Shimano cup to bleed (I bought a bleeding kit called Dan'z gizmo without a cup but didn't arrive yet).
I'll be trying Superstar pads I think.

Submitted by gpz1170 a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    Decent machining quality,

Weaknesses:    I bought a fully built Yeti 575 and the Shimano 575 hydraulic brakes came with it. Initally I could bleed the brakes and where they would hold pressure for about a week, after that I would bleed them before every ride. The rear brake was more of an issue than the front. The braking performance was poor at best providing a very mushy feel.

I rode with a friend of mine who had the Shimano 485 (I may be wrong on that number)brakes and they felt pretty solid which was odd because both systems used the exact same caliper. This leads me to believe that the master cylinder is the weak link. I didnt car for the master cylinder design because the reservoir fluid does not always cover the piston resulting in air getting into the lines. This is only my assumption though.

Bottom Line:
I replaced the 575's with Hayes Stroker Acs's and never looked. If you are on a budger and looking for decent disc brakes skip the 575 and get mechanical Avid BB7's.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Came stock on my bik

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 485 hydraulic brakes, Hayse Stroker Ace

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 with XT and Hayes

Submitted by esundell90 a Cross Country Rider from Marquette, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2011

Strengths:    high quality feel, well thought out design, great braking feel.

Weaknesses:    Stopping power is a little less than what I'd hoped.

Bottom Line:
Good brake for the price. The feel and modulation are great! However, I was not super impressed with the overall stopping power. I guess I figured they bight harder than they do. I have heard this is due to the stock pad compound however. When these pads get a little more scant, I'll look at upgrading the pads and see if that makes any noticeable change.

Favorite Trail:   Pioneer Trail

Similar Products Used:   Hayes mechanical, Jucy 3's and 5's

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey

Submitted by Wartsnall a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
Value brake that requires you to adopt an all or nothing approach to braking. Either you go hell for leather on the levers and stop or you get nothing. In the wet.. Well, don't ride downhill.
Good design in terms of bleed access and ease, but bad design in terms of compounds used, especially reservoir bolt.
I have bled these 3 times since I got them in an attempt to improve performance, no luck. Oh, I had to buy a special little yellow pot to bleed with.

Submitted by joey1 a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2011

Strengths:    Very good braking power and control.

Weaknesses:    Not durable enough for reality of mountain trail use. The problem is the lever design, when the lever is stressed (ie spill the bike on the ground), the lever deforms a plate inside. Then they are never the same. Seems to need adjustment a little more frequently than others.

Bottom Line:
If you never crash or stress a brake, these would work for you.

Favorite Trail:   all good

Purchased At:   Trek on EX6

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 3, and mechanical discs

Bike Setup:   Trek EX6. Great bike otherwise

Submitted by joetherider a Cross Country Rider from Cagayan de oro city, Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2011

Strengths:    Very nice feel with the servo wave designed levers. Braking power is very good, especially cross country curves. soft feeling while grabbing. (well most hydros do)

Weaknesses:    None so far. But, i think pads from stock shimano are a wuzz. especially on wet it's like grinding and doesnt have that much braking power. mostly, it's cheap.

Bottom Line:
Very good for the price i paid for. I'm not into the blings what im after is the sustainabilty and durability. But this product is way very excellent from the products i've used before this 5 stars for it.

Favorite Trail:   Wesley's way

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 3, avid mechanicals, hayes MX4.

Bike Setup:   GT agressor with 2009 deore xts rockshox psylo XC 2004