Shimano BR-M486 Disc Brake System

3.33/5 (18 Reviews)

Great value and dependable brake calliper gives you plenty of power when you require it. For use with mineral oil which is non-corrosive and less hazardous than conventional hydraulic fluid. Shim-less mounting bracket allows for quickinstallation and set up. Compatible with post mount or international standard forks when used with adapters. To be used in conjunction with Shimano hydraulic brake levers. Can be used with 6-bolt or Centre Lock rotors.

Submitted by Lukas

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent braking power and modulation. Can lock front wheel with one finger. Silent too. Best for hc, trail riding.

Weaknesses:    Hmm. Probably none. Leaking lever after bleeding, but that is just a servicing problem.

Bottom Line:
Replaced 160mm with 203mm rotor. Huge difference. Now I can use one finger even for downhill riding. Well - two for some extreme ones. Wanted to replace the brakes, but I'm glad I didn't, because bigger rotor was all I needed. excellent brakes, would recomend.

Submitted by DavidHarsay

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2013

Strengths:    Very good quality build and finish, good stopping power, excellent modulation, setup is lighter than the BB5's. Very happy with these.

Weaknesses:    Big ugly mounting bolts, hard to find an upgraded pad.

Bottom Line:
Very happy with these, $30 on ebay new! The way to center the pads is to slip a thin piece of cardboard between pad/disc on each side, squeeze lever, and tighten brake mount bolts... and they are centered with no rubbing and no rotor push. If they are a little a little spongy, they need bleeding, and they work great.

Submitted by eyco

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2013

Strengths:    brakes very well!

Weaknesses:    non

Bottom Line:
using them for almost 4 years riding xc fr and lite dh and they never fiald me! with a sinterd pads they stop very good.

Submitted by edward rafols

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2013

Strengths:    shimano...superior braking power/less effort & energy used in braking...

Weaknesses:    only problem lately is reduced braking power in front especially on downhill...gone to the shop but they said it's ok but when i tried it during the next ride, problem comes back...don't know if 'twas because of some penetrating oil that i used in cleaning the suspension which could have dripped down the rotor and pads...cleaned the rotor/pad with alcohol, acetone but the problem remains...

Bottom Line:
generally it's a great brake...

Submitted by judge dredd

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2012

Strengths:    over four years I haven't had problems with these brakes. They are powerfull enough for a xc/trail rides.
I clean my pads once in a while and they work.

Weaknesses:    you must use mineral oil or pistons get jammed..

Bottom Line:
very good brakes..for a value

Submitted by hmanstylez a Weekend Warrior from Newhall, CA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2012

Strengths:    Solid brake control. Good stopping power and really easy to service.

Weaknesses:    Need to adjust brakes every two rides or so.

Bottom Line:
These brakes came stock on my KHS and I am pretty happy with them. I've gotten use to one finger braking and the brakes bite really nice. I have since upgraded the tires from the Nevegal 2.1 to 2.35 and that's made a huge difference in braking ability. Most of my rides are 15-20 miles with about half being technical single track downhills and I've found minimal fade. I've got about 600 miles on the bike and I'm just now getting around to replacing the original pads.

The only issue I've found is that every two rides or so I need to adjust the calipers on the frame, otherwise I get some rubbage. It's pretty easy though take a 7mm alen loosen both bolts grab a handful of brake and tighten.

Favorite Trail:   Tapia Cyn

Purchased At:   KHS Stock

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Mechanicals

Bike Setup:   KHS XC 604. 2.35 Kenda Nevegal & Stans NoTubes

Submitted by yeahdog31 a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    Good intro to hydraulic discs, easy to bleed, quiet operation, good looks.

Weaknesses:    Lacking in power, spongey feel at levers, pads drag on larger rotors.

Bottom Line:
I have had these brakes on 3 different frames in the past 3 seasons. They were my first experience with hydraulic disc brakes. At first, having not much to compare to, I was pretty happy with them. But over time, I realized that I was riding apprehensively because I didn't have the confidence that I could stop like I wanted to. I switched the stock rotors from the chintzy RT-52s that came with it to the SLX and XT level rotors (and went up a size to 180mm). The larger rotors provided more stopping power, but still didn't have the solid braking feel I craved. I eventually switched my primary bike to XT brakes and the difference is unbelievable. Besides being more powerful, the XT's ServoWave allows more brake pad clearance, so you are less likely to drag a rotor while riding.
Another thing to be aware of is that replacement pads aren't very easy to find. No LBS stocked any and I even had some degree of difficulty finding aftermarket replacements online.
Bottom line: good brakes for moderate riding, but if your trails have lots of UPs and DOWNs, you might want to spend a little more.

Favorite Trail:   Shhhh it's a secret

Purchased At:   Trek Store Columbus

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT (M770), Avid BB7

Bike Setup:   2007 Titus Motolite II, 2010 Chumba HX2 Hardtail 29er

Submitted by Nico7312 a Downhiller from Johannesburg

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    they slow you down

Weaknesses:    strength, modulation, reliability.

Bottom Line:
They stink!

But for an average xc rider they are okay.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Rim brakes

Submitted by Asmodean a Cross Country Rider from Ireland

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    VALUE.

Weaknesses:    Stock pads are duff, wear in fast, but then wear out faster. Stock discs won't handle a metal pad

Bottom Line:
I bought these for the girlfriend as she was agitating about getting with the hydraulic crowd.

I didn't expect much from them, but they seem to be more or less SLX brakes with a few cosmetic differences, and a grub screw instead of a tooless reach adjuster.

The discs that came with them have "organic pads only" stamped o the side of them, so they will need replacing, and also the pads that came with them didn't last any time at all.

Those minor issues aside they see to be a controlled and strong brake.

Submitted by peteuga a Cross Country Rider from Palmetto, GA USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    I have exactly 200 miles on my bike and started hearing a bad sound coming from my brakes, so I took the caliber off and the pads were completely gone at only 200 miles. This is completely unacceptable. They also continuously scrap the disc, though it doesn't make much drag it sounds like crap. Don't buy these

Bottom Line:
Pile of junk, very disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Swayback

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Similar Products Used:   Avid mechanical disc, used for years with no problems.

Bike Setup:   Stock Jamis Dakota Comp

Submitted by matt_19 a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2011

Strengths:    Very good modulation, definately one of the smoothest brakes I've ever pulled the lever of (and I've tried high-end downhill bikes and stuff.) You can squeeze the mineral oil down the hose effortlessly! Good entry level hydraulic disks.

Weaknesses:    Not the most powerful brakes, but this problem is EASILY solved by using two fingers, which is what I normally do with any brake.

Bottom Line:
These are solid brakes, which will stop you with ease, and are SO smoothe! They have a much better feel than any mechs I've ridden and their modulation beats the mechs by a long way.
They aren't for down-hillers, but perfect for XC, for a very affordable price.
These brakes teamed with Shimano SLX and Deore drive-train and Rockshox Tora 302 makes my 2010 Giant Filter 1 a brilliant, realatively lightweight XC hardtail bike.

Favorite Trail:   Trav's Diamond

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Similar Products Used:   Tektro IO mechs, hayes mechs, v-brakes

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant Filter

Submitted by rAte a Weekend Warrior from Tampa

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    Came on my Anthem X3.

Weaknesses:    Were not as powerful as my Hayes 9's on my AM rig, until I bled them, now they are fine.

Bottom Line:
I was dissapointed with the BR 486 performance since I purchased the bike, and was ready to buy some bling brakes...
Decided to bleed them, Took about 40 minutes for both. the mineral oil was dark brown and there was crud in both resevoirs. Used a 2.5 ml srynge to clean it out, and weed eater fuelline to connect to the bleed valve. 7mm wrench fits perfect. Got some air bubbbles and nasty fluid out. Now they are just as good as my Hayes and I only spent $1.54 on mineral oil at Wally World.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline

Purchased At:   Stock build Anthem X

Similar Products Used:   Hayes 9

Bike Setup:   Anthem X3 mostly stock.

Submitted by pedalitup a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2010

Strengths:    None whatsoever

Weaknesses:    Comes with fake resin pads. They flat out DO NOT WORK. They don't work as well as Avid mechanicals, even with 180mm rotors. ES01 metallic pads are unobtanium worldwide, so you cant even fix the crap.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the BR 575 non series brakes. Be careful at the LBS when you run across OEM shimano disc brakes. I got burned and just givin' you a heads up.

Favorite Trail:   I'm on it

Purchased At:   BR575 came on bike

Similar Products Used:   The dumpster. I wouldn't even offer this junk on craigslist, I'm S#!^ canning 'em when my Formulas arrive. Shimanos gonna get their a$$ kicked soon if this crap is the best they can do.

Bike Setup:   Too nice for these!

Submitted by BurnNotice a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2010

Strengths:    Reliable and do not squeal like other Avid brake systems I have had in past. Brake real well.

Weaknesses:    The pistons will at times not retract which you then have to reset them yourself. Read another review for remedying this issue.

Bottom Line:
Value priced braking system that works.........bottom line! If you want pro quality then spend some mega bucks!

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek area