Shimano BR-M395 Disc Brake System

3.75/5 (8 Reviews)

The Shimano BRM-395 is the most powerful hydraulic disc brake in its class. It rivals the stopping power of almost every other disc brake on the market, arguably even those that are multiple its cost. It is a solid durable system capable of delivering res

Submitted by Aglo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2014

Strengths:    baratos e funcionais

Weaknesses:    pouca força e pouca modulação

Bottom Line:
Eu tenho estes travões na minha 29er AM com discos de 180mm.
Eles fazem o trabalho deles, não falham nem complicam e mantém um funcionamento constante. Mas a modulação na travagem é quase inexistente, outro problema consiste no fato de ser preciso fazer uma força relativa na maneta para conseguir travar em descidas acentuadas. Mas como estamos a fazer uma força relativa, associado à pouca modulação, facilmente os discos ficam bloqueados.

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2014

Strengths:    1) CHEAP.....2) 100% RELIABLE .....3) SIMPLE

Weaknesses:    NOT enough power at this time for my very fast DH mountain, I hit 45 on sections and have to slow to 5 dozens of times to make sharp corners and there is no way to single finger my corner entries I have to grab with 2 fingers and get sore cramps, that did not happen with my old Trail Strokers ( when they worked lol ) Don't expect miracles , there is a reason they are a lot cheaper than other Shimano's. I will switch out to bigger modern rotors & pads and re-evaluate. Yes buy them if Your new to MTB'ing or low on cash, if not then pass them up and get XTR's....cheers

Bottom Line:
Mineral oil , no water or heat fade + . Lack of high end brake system real power - You decide

Submitted by Michael

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2013

Strengths:    enough power to do lots, cheap, I ride 30 miles a day and race all the time and i had these on my bike for a year intill i got a new bike and they were great i only bled them once before I sold my bike.

Weaknesses:    not as much power as shimano's other brake design but it s enough

Bottom Line:
Great brake, better then avid elixer 5"s

Submitted by mj woodford

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap , work consistently everytime, great power, look smart too!

Weaknesses:    None there outstanding!

Bottom Line:
These came on my scott hardtail, had avid elixir on my other bike which where inconsistent all the time never felt the same day to day but these are all over them! Feel the same everyday, lever stays at the same position and very consistent . Resin pads work great wet or shine , im using the rotors that come with them and they have great power and the pads are lasting very well even though i love using all the power. You can see small marks on the body of the lever where its cast so you can see how they make them this cheap but its not a complaint, they do look good, kind of a stealthy look. If shimanos cheap brakes are this good XT must be amazing will never use another make for brakes again there that good!!

Submitted by Andrei a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2013

Strengths:    CHEAP! Bought a white set, F&R off ebay brand new for $72 free shipping. Very powerful. Easy setup. Work very nice out of the box with stock pads. No squeaking sounds, silent as can be. Reach adjust feature. Easy access to reservoir. Amazing stopping power with 203mm rotors front and rear but will work with any other size just as well. Perfect affordable upgrade from rim brakes and or mechanical disc brakes. Uses mineral oil, NOT DOT FLUID. Only one finger required to stop on the dot. Not heavy at all. Easy bleeding process if needed. Recommended for all.

Weaknesses:    Will throw you over the handle bars if you are not careful. Others behind you might not be able to stop as fast and can or will run into you because they have sh#### rim brakes and are too stubborn to admit hydraulic disc brakes are the best.

Bottom Line:
You want good hydraulic brakes and don't want to spend a fortune? Then the Shimano BR-M395 are the brakes for you. We're talking $72 total for both front and rear sets. These brakes perform super! Never in my life would I spend more than $100 for a set of brakes. I do all types of riding. I rode with mechanical brakes for a while and decided I want to upgrade to hydraulic so I got these. Best choice I've ever made and I'm more than happy with them. The difference is noticeable right away. The performance is everything I'll ever look for. Absolutely NO rim brakes can compare, even hydraulic ones. OVERALL, they are better. I feel I won't even need any "better" brakes than these. They are perfect for any type of riding really. Even DH. I run mine with 2x 203mm rotors. Originally had 160mm rotors and those work just as good. You really don't need any bigger rotor than 160mm unless you are doing DH and or are a heavy rider but either way, they will work the same minus the part where smaller rotors heat up faster. Never had an issue with rotors heating up "too much" or brake fade. Bleeding is done easily on these brakes. Others who had problems with them most likely don't have them setup correctly. Took me about an hour to set them up, including me taking off my old brakes and reconfiguring everything again plus alignment. I love these brakes.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Maurice

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2013

Strengths:    Top braking power when conbined with right pads and rotors

Weaknesses:    bleeding could be a little tricky...

Bottom Line:
I´ve had all shimano disc Brakes, Deore, XT and XTR and must say these Brakes are despite the price top notch...The Shimano stock pads are ok, but if you want max. braking power you have to use Swiss stop pads and Shimano SLX RT67 Rotors..This will bring these brakes to a whole new level...I weigh 220 lbs and have them on my all mountain rig and the braking power ist just astonishing for such a cheap brake.....Bleeding could be a little tricky and watch you rotors....Use Shimano RT67 rotors for best results...

Submitted by Vortexian a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2013

Strengths:    Mostly problemless, pads can be found anywhere, easy to bleed and to clean, rather durable, wide initial gap between the pads - only badly deformed rotor will produce ringing sound.

Weaknesses:    Braking power is quite low - simple 15$/pair Tektro v-brakes give much better stopping power in dry conditions. Braking modulation is quite discreet - less than 1/3inch travel (at the end of the lever) between initial braking and full power braking.
Recommended B01s resin pads wear under wet conditions in less than 300km. Extremely low heat dissipation.
Pistons tend to jam under dirty conditions.

Bottom Line:
Got them with Cube Acid (2012). These are good brakes to understand, what are the hydraulic brakes. But it's an initial level and these brakes are unsuitable for any extreme use. Commuting, hiking, light XC - nothing more serious. I managed to "boil" my front brake during a 300meters high / 4kilometers long highway descent with some luggage on the bike.

Duration Product Used:   1 year including winter

Purchased At:   Cube official store

Similar Products Used:   Avid bb7, Shimano Alivio disc brakes, tons of V-brakes

Bike Setup:   Cube Acid (2012). Upgrades - 185/160 avid G3 rotors.

Submitted by Casey Kandel a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2013

Strengths:    Good braking power
Lever actuation is smooth

Weaknesses:    Only a bit stronger than my old rim brakes
Hard to adjust the calipers (bolts were extremely tight on my bike, results may vary store to store)

Bottom Line:
These came stock on my 2013 GT Karakoram 2.0. As my first venture into disc brakes these underwhelmed me considering I feel like I had similar braking power compared to my 2004 Gary Fisher Marlins rim brakes. After bedding they felt a bit better, but I do not feel like they are as powerful as I believe hydraulic disc brakes would be. I have not tried other bikes with hydraulic brakes, though, so I am not sure if this is normal. The bolts used for adjusting the brakes are too tight for my to loosen and adjust the brakes. Currently I get a lot of brake rub and would like to adjust them, but I guess my shop overtightened them a bit upon installation/build.

I also cannot easily find replacement pads by just using the "Shimano BR-M395" name. I am not sure if they use the same pads as Deore brakes or not, but I read the online PDF service manual and could not find that information.

Overall I like them. Stops better in inclimate weather and I am sure the adjustability will be fine once I get my hands on the proper tools.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Duration Product Used:   3.5 months

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Older rim brakes.

Bike Setup:   http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1125718_-1___000000