Magura Marta SL Disc Brake System

4.28/5 (46 Reviews)

When it comesTo superlight disc brakesThere has been one benchmarkoverThe past seven years: MAGURA Marta SL! Minimum weight, combinedwith unmatched power, modulation and performance. Uses new lighter weight Storm rotor (not included) Dual piston caliper w/ automatic wear adjustment Featherweight carbon 2 finger lever blade Integrated reach adjustment Pre-bled Rotor sold separately Includes lever, caliper, hose and mounting hardware Approximate weight 295 grams 5-year leakproof warranty aft

Submitted by G a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Strengths:    I replace my "Julie" brake system with Magura's "Marta SL"'s about 5 years ago and I'm glad I did. The SL's have much better braking control on downhill's especially around tight switchbacks and loose dirt and gravel than any other braking system I have used. I mainly ride XC single track and Moab rocky jeep trails but also ride 14,000'+ peaks with LONG fast and intense descents.

Weaknesses:    Brake pads are a little pricey.

Bottom Line:
Excellent braking system, recommended upgrading for XC and DH riders. Although the pads can ware quickly on multiple long decants the braking power never fades even if the rotors are smoking hot. GREAT BRAKES!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Moab Slickrock / Buffalo Creek, CO

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   REI Prodeal

Similar Products Used:   Magura Julie, Shamano, Avis OX.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekell Left Limited Edition. Fox Float R Adjustible Rear Shock. Shimano XTR Cassestt. XT Hollowteck Crank. Magura Marta SL Front / Rear Braking System. Crossride Tubless Wheels. Monkey Light handlebars, Buzz Off Leather Seat. Crankbrothers Egg Beater Peddles.XTR Chain.

Submitted by Moto Mayer a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2012

Strengths:    best modulation I have ever felt in MTB brakes

Weaknesses:    Not the most powerful brakes I have used.

Bottom Line:
Starter a couple of years ago bought a Pivot Mach 5 and came with Avid elixir CR brakes. my previous Motolite had Avid juicy 7's on it which I really liked so I was pumped to get brakes that were suposed to be improved and lighter. they were powerfull alright, but no modulation at all!! would lock-up with very little effort. At first thought it was just my set-up but after talking and riding with others with these brakes seems like common problem. so I started shopping for brakes. Came across good deal on Magura Marta SL's on Ebay bought them. after installing them and shortening the hoses. we were set to go. bleeding was very easy and uses vegtable oil instead of brake fluid so no problem spilling alittle on painted surfaces. First ride was alittle dissapointed with power and feel.weak. but after acouple of more ride boy did they come around! Super, SUPER modulation. I ride on some less than ideal trails so modulation mean everything. very impressive. very quiet with stock pads too. can squel some when wet, but what brakes wont? I am running 160 rotors front and rear but I think if you went with bigger rotors up front would be more powerful. I ride several times a week and have only had to bleed rear brake once. Levers feel really nice for one finger braking. Just purchased a Pivot 5.7 carbon that came with Avid's but took them off before I rode and installed another set of Marta's. now that Magura no longer make this model there are some really good prices out them for them. bought complete set with rotors fpr $300.00. I will hate to see them go, but I have heard the next generation of brakes are pretty nice too.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Duration Product Used:   three years on two bikes

Similar Products Used:   Many Avid models. Hayes strokers. shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon ( awesome bike ) All XO drivetrain. DT swiss Tricon wheels. Fox suspension

Submitted by anthony.delorenzo a Weekend Warrior from Whitehorse, Yukon

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2011

Strengths:    Stopping power, light weight, look good

Weaknesses:    Can't be maintained, sometimes fussy

Bottom Line:
These have been generally awesome brakes for me. I'm 6-6 and they do a great job slowing me down. They're light and they look great on a bike, although they are sometimes fussy to set up. Also, they run like crap when the pads get low.

The biggest downside (and reason I sold them) is that they can't be serviced. Magura won't provide parts or allow shops to service their stuff. Granted, they have a rock-solid guarantee, but I've had more than one problem with mine and each time I'm stuck waiting for a new lever or caliper to be sent instead of just having my shop rebuild the brake.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Avid, Hope...

Submitted by htail a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to install and setup. Light, quiet strong-enough brake power, decent lever feel.

Weaknesses:    Lever and travel is a little big, feels more like a 2 finger minimum lever....but not a bothersome issue.

Bottom Line:
This is the first non-Avid disc brake i've tried. Honestly was a little skeptical, but have heard so many good recommendations that I had to try them. Not disappointed, great brakes.

One of the benefits is the simplicity of them. No fussy CPS bolts (Avid), bleeding is straight forward and getting the calipers aligned was cake (seemed to take a long time to dial in Avids for some reason).

So far the best disc brake experience I've had, we'll see how they continue to break in. I did go with a 180mm front rotor and 160 rear, so felt like I'm in much better control of descents with more power up front.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 7, Avid Elixir CR

Submitted by chriscrash a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2011

Strengths:    Reliability, consistent performance, modulation, light weight

Weaknesses:    Maybe lacking the raw stopping power of some systems

Bottom Line:
Best brakes I have owned or used to date. Last reviewer must have got a dud. They are way more consistent and reliable than any other brake I have used. For XC and trail riding in really demanding conditions you appreciate the superb modulation they offer over other brakes. I bought them for Endurance racing and couldn't get my hands on a pair for formula R1's at the time. No regrets. I'd buy another pair of SL's or the new MT's.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Squamish

Purchased At:   Mighty Riders

Similar Products Used:   Avid Elixer. Hayes Mag, XT, XTR, BB7

Bike Setup:   Salsa Big Mama, Easton Havens, XT kit, light but strong parts..

Submitted by philman27 a Cross Country Rider from perth,australia

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2011

Strengths:    light weight brakes with looks to match

Weaknesses:    stupied caliper piston

Bottom Line:
brakes where good for about 2 weeks then the front caliper piston seized twice.gave up now have avid cr's

Bike Setup:   giant xtc mavic crossmax slr wheels carbon everything

Submitted by phlegm a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, quality engineering, non-toxic fluid, carbon levers, magnetic pads, relatively easy to bleed

Weaknesses:    Relatively expensive, intermittent noise from front set

Bottom Line:
A well-designed quality product, and you get what you pay for here. Great stopping power, but there are certainly other hydraulic discs out there which can match it (my older Avids were similar). My only beef is a loud honk/squeal from the front brakes, which I can't seem to trace. (Previous Avids did not exhibit the problem.)

Similar Products Used:   Avid Elixir

Submitted by While At Rome a Downhiller from Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2011

Strengths:    Very Lightweight, great looks.

Weaknesses:    Not enough stopping power

Bottom Line:
These brakes are nice, when they dont make noise. I have only been riding this bike a lot for the past year and I need to wear headphones because it is so bad. Ive taken it in to multiple LBS and it will fix it for about 2 rides until the pad clearance is back to crap.

The stopping power is not as good as everyone is saying, it is about on par with all other modern single piston brakes. Being a bigger rider at 220 lbs, i am often having to brake much earlier than i needed to on my downhill rig despite riding a 20 lbs lighter bike.

Get headphones because these things make a ton of noise.

Favorite Trail:   BST

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Nine, Hayes Sole, Avid Code, Avid Code R, Avid Elixirs, Avid Juicys

Bike Setup:   Enduro SL carbon, Fox 36

Submitted by Volsfan a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2010

Strengths:    Brakeability, one finger braking

Weaknesses:    Occasional Bleeding, price

Bottom Line:
These brakes are fantastic. Nothing like being in-control with one finger. It is interesting how brakes will make you faster.
After 5 Years I did have a lever leak at the piston. No worries, Magura sent me a new replacement @ no charge.
These are not the cheapest brakes but you get what you pay for. The next time I need brakes it will be Magura I go to.

Favorite Trail:   Singletrak

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5

Submitted by fguelfi a Cross Country Rider from Mexico City, DF

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    Incredible Modulation and lightweight

Weaknesses:    Tough to bleed

Bottom Line:
Amazing power for the weight, solid feel (compared to competition tested - ultimates and formula oros). Do not try the aftermarket metalic pads, they are awfull and always will make a scratching noice.

Favorite Trail:   Ajusco, Mexico City

Purchased At:   ebay used and came w

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy Ultimate

Bike Setup:   Use it in 3 bikes, my racing Titus X Exogrid, Intense 5.5 and a Gary Fische Hi Fi

Submitted by tedwaltman1 a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to install. Extremely solid, quiet--VERY quiet!

Weaknesses:    If any, brake fluid cable is close to spokes.

Bottom Line:
Best purchase I've made for my mtn bike. Put 180mm rotor on front too. Absolutely love these brakes!!!

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Falcon

Purchased At:   Green Mtn Sports

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 7

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR

Submitted by a_ratcliffe a Racer from New Castle, In, USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2010

Strengths:    Light. Great stopping power with 160 mm front and back. Haven't had to adjust them since they were installed. No issues.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I love them.

Favorite Trail:   Westwood park New Castle, IN

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   x9

Bike Setup:   Scott Spark Team, Sram XX DT Swiss xrc1250, Magura Marta SL, mostly Kenda tires, Extralite saddle, Candy 2ti.

Submitted by 40a a Racer from East Coast, USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2010

Strengths:    radial master cylinder design, caliper and cylinder construction/finish, stupideasy to bleed, and of course they're super lightweight for u weenies.

Weaknesses:    T7 torx reservoir cover screw heads strip out way too easily. See below. I would prefer a removable hbar clamp. SL wavys may be more vulnerable to warping.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are totally rad for XC riding, period.

Initial set up was no big deal. Subsequent set-ups (after wheel changes) were sometimes tricky- having to sort out how many spacers to add/subtract. PM might be easier than the Marta IS, don't know.

Performance is superb: infinite modulation, and plenty of bite- especially with the organic 5.1 performance pads. PS: don't buy any of those junk aftermkt discobrake pads. The levers always felt smooth with a progressive actuation. Had a friend tell me he wished his XTRs felt as good. Pads (org vs. metallic) will make a big diff in lever feel.

Maintenance is pretty darn easy. For the first year or so, they did not require any bleeding at all. Bleeding is dumb-easy even for a hydro-newb. Mineral oil doesn't eff anything up and it's a real' pretty blue :) Hex key reach adj was simple. I ran mine way in close. Sometimes when hoisting myself onto ledges or over boulders I would inadvertantly push the lever back AWAY from the bar.. As such, I think I'd prefer a reach adj design that would disallow this. Parts were pretty readily available, too.

Re the T7 resv screw heads stripping out: I'm sure I overtightened them a time or two, but you have to be really meticulous about tightening them to spec and not getting any oil in the head EVERY TIME you bleed for this to not be a problem. Inevitably, the head would strip and I'd have to dremel it out and replace it. If you don't have a spare screw, you'd have a non-functional brake.

Having said all of this, I outgrew these brakes as I've become much more aggressive in my riding style. I jacked my Martas up on roids by replacing the carbon levers with alloys and by running 180 Louise/Gustav rotors f/r. More aggressive riding has translated to more frequent bleeding. I've also had trouble with the SL rotors warping after longer/steep descents (not DH runs).. causing the front line and rotor to (i believE) overheat. It would only take 60 secs to cool off, but still..

Bottom line: superb brakeset for XC riding. Expensive, but outstanding xc performance.

Purchased At:   EP

Similar Products Used:   First set of hydros for me. No real frame of reference.

Bike Setup:   2x9, full rigid w/ thru-axle. King/Mavics with fat tractor tires for gnarly riding.

Submitted by oldtoothlesslion a Weekend Warrior from Cameron Park

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2010

Strengths:    Looks, feel, ease of set up, quiet (after short break in), strong, no fade.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
My favorite brakes hands down. I didn't have one problem mounting calipers or cutting the lines. I had to cut the front one twice, no problems, no bleeds. They look and perform great.

Purchased At:   Auction site

Similar Products Used:   Hayes, Shimano XTR, Avid.

Bike Setup:   08 Specialized Enduro and 2010 Specialized Epic

Submitted by Tzvia a Weekend Warrior from Woodland Hills CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Strengths:    Quiet, good modulation and lever feel. Mine are 2008s and I got them on an S Works Safire that was new on closeout. It's easy to replace pads (yahoo no spring wires/retainers-it's magnetic.) And it only took a few minutes to center up using a butter knife to push in the pads, and a feeler gauge. The lever feel is good and they get better with every ride. It just feels like a quality product.

Weaknesses:    I read that there were some who had issues with the lever reach adjuster screw coming loose and getting lost so I dabbed a drop of clear nail polish into the threads as a preemptive measure. Not really a weakness in my case as it hasn't happened to me; I'm just being careful.

Bottom Line:
Great brakes. Quiet, strong, good feel and control. Feels well made. The lever feel is so very different than my Hayes Strokers, which are fine brakes, but lack modulation and can squeal like a pig. Just a nice consistant stop, no vibration, squealing or pulsing, and it's easy to fine tune my speed as needed. I like the way the pads remove and install, they just slide in, and a cross bolt is screwed in to hold them. No spring or retainer to futz with (the springs on the back of my Hayes pads lose tension and then the pads don't retract smartly back with the piston); using a magnet is an elegant solution. The last thing I want to worry about or mess with on a ride is the brakes, and so far I haven't had to.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Sedona

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Stroker Trails (on my Anthem). Previously, used XTR V brakes.

Bike Setup:   Spec S-Works Safire; X0/XTR, Roval Control wheels, Captain 2.0 rear, Eskar 2.3 front. Thomson seatpost/stem, SW CF bar, Lizardskin grips. Old Time ATAC carbon pedals. Inform RL Bontrager saddle.

Marta/ Marta SL

Had a set of 07 Martas on my enduro, and the front master cylinder sprung a pretty good leak. So, once i found that you can't re-build a magura master cylinder, I turned to ebay. I bought a set of Marta SL off ebay without giving the forethought as to if the Marta and Marta SL would be compatible. ... Read More »

Magura Marta SL adapter help!

I just bought a set of Marta SL brakes off of eBay. I didn't realize that the caliper was designed for IS mounts. :( Have never seen this before. Anyhow, I have a Niner post mount fork and need to find an adapter to convert my IS caliper to PM. I have found some discussions about doing this on the w ... Read More »

Marta SL growl

2011 Marta SL, rear on a 160 (Storm) rotor mounted to Black Cat swinging dropouts on a custom steel frame. The rear brake has a vibration type growl/squeal during light to moderate braking, only when cold. After using it a bit on a long downhill it quiets down. I've tried everything I can think o ... Read More »

Magura Marta SL MAG BROKE!!! gRRRRRRRRR

Update, Magura is sending out a new one no questions asked. Magura is now on my "top-notch" list alongside Graupner, Airlift, and Sony. Thanks guys. Funny I just went out and test rode the new build in my yard and the front tire split on the sidewall radially!! Kenda Nevegal Stick-E tire, what the h ... Read More »

Magura Marta SL vs. Avid Elixir R - Help!

I know I know, based on thread title alone you'd think I'm comparing apples to oranges...Anyone have time on both brakes? I have an opportunity to pick up either set, used, but am having trouble deciding which one. I've read positive reviews of each and negative reviews of each...looking for som ... Read More »