Magura Louise BAT Disc Brake System

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

THE SMART BRAKE.
The Louise is a versatile full hydraulic disc brake in a unique and outstanding design.
New 2009: Larger lever blade with improved ergonomics for a better grip. Designed and manufactured in Germany!

Submitted by Van Dessel a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Craftsmanship, easy installation, superior quality, bullet proof, incredible longevity, awesome stopping power and modulation, no need for service....ever.

Weaknesses:    umm.......none.

Bottom Line:
Almost, almost put my 2003 Magura Louise brakes on my new build -- since they have never failed, never once had to be bled, never once required service of any kind whatsoever -- only replaced the pads when needed. When it came time for new brakes (and the old ones are still good) I searched and searched, read so many reviews they all started to sound the same and then realized -- this is ridiculous, just stay with what works and for me that means I don't have to think about my brakes - ever; get the new Louise BAT which I did and so far...same old, same old -- no issues at all, easy installation, quality, same craftsmanship and I have no doubts these will last as long as their 9 year old predecessors. No need to fall into the component trap with these brakes, i.e., well, there's gotta be something better, something with more bling, something more flashy, less weight -- these work and work well, period.

Favorite Trail:   Keystone Colorado - all of them

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   None - nothing is similar to Magura.

Bike Setup:   Van Dessel Jersey Devil 29er (HT); XT front/rear; SLX crankset, Magura Louise BAT, Mavic Crossmax whlset

Submitted by TORO1968 a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, TN USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2012

Strengths:    Awesome modulation
Easy setup - calipers have a ton of adjustment for alignment, no need to remove grips to install levers

Weaknesses:    Takes a long time to bed in pads

Bottom Line:
After dealing with repeated bleeding issues with my Elixir CRs, I decided enough was enough. I've had great performance out of my XT M775s on my Kona Dawg, but wanted to try something a bit different for my 4X bike that wouldn't break the bank. I picked up a set of the Louise BATs on Ebay, new with rotors for $220 - not a bad deal if you ask me. It took quite a while to bed in the pads, but as long as you follow Magura's procedure, you shouldn't have any issues. The modulation on these brakes is incredible, and surprisingly the lever feel is great, too.

The levers are designed for two-finger braking, much like the M775s, which is just my style, coming from a moto background.

The build quality of Magura stuff is top-notch. I didn't run into any issues with the setup of the calipers due to them having so much horizontal adjustment.

I'd highly recommend these brakes!

Favorite Trail:   Tsali in NC

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Avid Elixir CR
Shimano XT M775

Bike Setup:   Commencal Absolut VIP 4x - lowered Fox Float RC2, Dura-Ace/XTR 1x6 drivetrain

Submitted by mrm1 a Weekend Warrior from N. FL

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    Brake well. Modulate Well. Good Stopping power.

Weaknesses:    Parts hard to find locally. Easy to Order

Bottom Line:
I just came off of 3 years riding Hayes MX1 Mechs with 160 rotors. Had been looking as some budget / closeout Hyrdo's for the past year, but everything I was considering in the price range had average to sloppy ratings.

Introduce the Magura Louise System. Better than average ratings and finally at a price I wanted to pay. I found a white front and white rear on separate auctions on ebay. One was a BAT the other was not ... but it was all I could find in white for a deal.

Install was easy, and after just one ride I was wondering what too me so long to upgrade. Man these are so sweet. It was like night and day over the Hayes MX1's. Stopping, Control, Modulation like never before. I have done my share of upgrades in the past, but few if any have been this noticeable. I can say ... amazing for the price !!

I would say if you ride XC, have a touch of Weight Weenie in you and need some new stoppers, these are a good find.

Weight was a savings too (my gram scale).
- Hayes MX1's with Cables and Avid SD 5 levers F&R: 695g
- Magura Louise System F&R: 566g before I cut hose to length

Favorite Trail:   Santos Area

Similar Products Used:   Hayes MX1, MX3, Center Pulls

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider XVP moderately equipt

Submitted by yuffiefly a Cross Country Rider from Taipei,Taiwan

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2011

Strengths:    Good for Trail

Weaknesses:    No Weaknesses

Bottom Line:
Such a good production

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain Trail

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SLX Disk Brake

Bike Setup:   Anthem X3 + FOX RL100 + FOX RP2 + Magura Lousie Bat

Submitted by aika a Weekend Warrior from chico

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2010

Strengths:    they're not permanent, boost magura's bottom line

Weaknesses:    they're absolute schitt. stopping is merely average, lever feel is average at best. the brake sucks. period

Bottom Line:
I can't wait to get rid of these pieces of schitt. My old juicy 7's rubbed, and I'd rather have those back than run these. I've retrued the rotor 3+ times, sanded brake pads, replaced brake pads, re-bed brake pads,adjusted spokes, re-bled x2, etc. And Magura's official line on the squawk? It's the bike design. An RFX is not stiff enough- Are they serious? And they state that Kona's and Merida's aren't either- nice. Oh- getting support on their website is like pulling teeth, it's poorly laid out. the instruction manual was written by a native german speaker, and the company was too arrogant to have an english speaker translate, they just left it with poor grammar. My same year brakes LOOKED different (different casting), and the instructions were even different! Can you get good Maguras? Sure- both my brothers like theirs. But they can't get mine to set up and not suck either. So instead of taking a chance that you get a bad set of these POS's, just buy something, ANYTHING else. Otherwise you'll be sitting at your computer after working 10+ hours over a month on these brakes, wondering how to get a hold of the employees at Magura, and eating their children. Like I am.

Favorite Trail:   whatever

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   avids

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX, Pushed Van, Chris King bling everywhere, 160 float

Submitted by speedworkaddict a Racer from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2009

Strengths:    Very easy to install even for a non-mechanic. Brakes come on smooth and never disappoint. SUCH a great buy. I much prefer these over XT's.

Weaknesses:    None so far. I don't anticipate any.

Bottom Line:
BUY THESE!!

Favorite Trail:   Whatever's Close

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   XT Discs

Bike Setup:   Epic with Full XT Drivetrain, Magura fork (love it) misc. race face parts, and boat anchor Mavic wheels. ugh.

Submitted by TIN a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, San Jose, Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent modulation, power and no noise.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses

Bottom Line:
I ride Mountain Bike Action, July 08 and they give 5 stars for this brake.

Then I bought a Louise BAT and I think is the perfect brake for Cross Country and all mountain.

It has excellent power, set up, modulation, no fade in downhills and of course no noise at all.

Favorite Trail:   Escazu mountains