Magura Gustav M Disc Brake System

4.76/5 (17 Reviews)

• Redesigned master cylinder
  • Fully-hydraulic downhill/freeride brake
  • Unrivaled stopping power
  • Pre-bled and ready to mount

Submitted by albert

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2012

Strengths:    power that never fade

Weaknesses:    1. Hard to find a single crown suspension that let you use 210mm rotor, you are limited to Magura forks only.
2. Discontinued product from Magura. Guess they made it too perfect and you will never buy another set of brakes and thats why they stopped making them?!

Bottom Line:
I use this set of brakes on my touring bike + Bob trailer for 2 years now.

On my 2009 EuroAsia tour, I used BB7 (160mm front and rear), and on some long descends the brake heats up very quickly and the power just fade away. I weigh 70kg, bike 15kg-20kg, trailer 30kg.

I then changed to these Gustav M brakeset, I had 210mm and 190mm installed, and I never had a problem with fading brakes ever again.

too bad they discontinued this model....

Submitted by Kunalagon Umuhanik a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2012

Strengths:    Enormous stopping power, as everybody else already said in earlier reviews. My weight is 120kg and it can easely throw me over the handlebar. It throw me even when I put rear panniers weighted 30kgs. I heard it has force ratio 1/12. Great and precise modulation. Pads can be easly changed in 2 minutes. Easy bleeding.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes, setup is pain in the ass. Frame/fork brake holder has to be perfectly aligned, parallel (in case IS standard), otherwise it will draging the rotor. Today, it is hard to find spare parts, especialy caliper holders for some other mounting standards, and if you find it the price would be something like ... 130 euros or so. Magura stops producing everyparts for this brakes. 210mm rotor is a bit easier to find, but just today.
Many people would say WEIGHT is a weaknesse, but, the weight of this brake is about 600g and my weight is about 120kg and weight of my bicycle is about 25kg. 600grams is nothing comparing to overall weight.
This brake is so strong that it tends to bent wheel (front). Your spoke should be in very high tension. but not too high because it could leads to spoke riping. And if you use this rear brake with 190mm rotor, on thinner frames, like cannondale trail models, it will bent rear fork and everything is going to bent which leads to strange noise and very loud which affects braking power, and at last it will crack your frame... aaahh, so strong, SO STRONG !

Bottom Line:
All in all, very strong brake with great modulation. Especialy usefull for heavy riders, tandem bicycles, or heavy loaded bikes with panniers or other stuff.

Purchased At:   freestylepancevo.rs

Submitted by Andrew G a Weekend Warrior from europe

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2010

Strengths:    -Sick, sick, sick and endless braking power which doesnt ever fade.
-Don't think it is possible to destroy they.

Weaknesses:    - Weight but who cares?
- For 99% trails they are just too strong. It's hard to get used to the fact that you can easily lock the front wheel with one finger no matter what.

Bottom Line:
If you want to have a brakes that you just mount and they stop you whenever you want and you just forget about the rest they are for you. Moreover they still have this oldschool design, and not those crappy marzocchi skulls that can make you look ridiculous.

Similar Products Used:   there is none. they are in their own league

Submitted by tommy__dh a Downhiller from Fort William, UK

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2010

Strengths:    most powerful on the planet earth, great modulation, superb quality, design

Bottom Line:
best brakes I ever have, no problems at all with maintenance, very, very strong and powerful, excellent modulation, some say weight, but they are just 80g heavier than others which absolutely nothing.

Favorite Trail:   DH

Purchased At:   chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   hope m4, m6, avid 7, mag

Bike Setup:   orange 224, dorado, gustav m

Submitted by Mahesh a Downhiller from Livingston, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic power, excellent modulation. I found they were easy to bleed and change pads. Floating caliper is a great design.

Weaknesses:    Finding replacement parts for repairs and maintenance is not only a hassle, but can be VERY expensive. I had a very tough time finding a hose replacement kit that didn't cost an arm and a leg and was actually compatible with the shape of the caliper.

Bottom Line:
If you don't mind spending the money and doing a bit of homework to get the necessary parts to do maintenance and repairs, these are an AMAZING set of brakes. Granted, they're the first set of DH brakes that I've used, but I've never had to think about them while riding. I'm almost worried about what'll happen when I eventually switch to another brand/model, which I've been considering given how hard/expensive it is to repair these. They don't get a 5 for value because of the post-purchase expense factor, but performance wise, I'd give them a 10 out of 5 if I could.

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Diablo, Plattekill, Whiteface

Similar Products Used:   Hayes 9

Bike Setup:   Sinister R9, 888 RC2X, Gustavs, DHX 5.0

Submitted by hurtn4certn a Racer from Wiesbaden, Germany

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2010

Strengths:    Amazing stopping power! Did I mention they can stop a tandem (400 LBS with bike and riders) in a heartbeat?!?

Weaknesses:    None. Well weight maybe, but these are on a tandem with Brooks saddles and a Rohloff hub. So these are the least of my weight concerns.

Bottom Line:
I've always been a Magura HS-33 hydraulic rim brake guy. I have them on every MTB and our Cannondale tandem. So when it came time to buy our new baby, Alex at MTBTandems recommended these brakes. Being my first set of discs, I was simply blown away (isn't it amazing how we sometimes refuse to embrace new technologies? That was me with disc brakes. "Why do I need those, my HS-33's are just fine") Let me tell you, these Gustav's were like going from cantelevers to the HS-33's! Our tandem with riders is over 400 LBS, now add panniers, water, lights and you've got a potential MAC truck on your hands. 210mm rotors stop on a dime! If I ride the tandem around without a stoker and lock the front brake, then entire tandem will start a front wheel stand! AMAZING! Are they the lightest, definately not. Do they stop? Oh yes! And if you ever need a temporary disc brake set up for your motorcycle, you could probably steal these off your bicycle for awhile.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   MTBTandems.com

Similar Products Used:   Magura HS-33'sd

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Conquistador S&S, Rohloff hub, King front hub, White Brothers Magic 100 20mmTA fork

Submitted by ryan2100 a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2009

Strengths:    sheer stopping power, modulation

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
These are the best brakes avaliable. They are heavy, but are well worth the extra weight. Unless you are racing, these are the brakes for you. I never realized how important good brakes are, this has been the single best upgrade for my bike, and will trully make you faster going downhill. I have been using these brakes for 3 years now and have never had to bleed them once, all Ive done is change the pads and they are still as good as new. IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT GETTING THIS BRAKES GET THEM, THEY ARE AMAZING

Similar Products Used:   juicy 7, marta, louise, stroker, hayes 9

Bike Setup:   several AM bikes

Submitted by Mike D a Downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Strengths:    These are a beast of a brake! They do not fail, nothing phases them. They are bombproof and will not seize without the assistance of a welding torch. I weigh 230 pounds and they stop me like a wall.

Weaknesses:    They are a little on the heavy side, but so am I. All the more reason to have all that heavy-duty stopping power.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that these will help you stop before you cross the line that would send you to the bottom. Sometimes I put my life in the hands of my brakes, and by being alive I'd say the brakes have a pretty good record.

Favorite Trail:   A-Line

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Magura Julie, Louise, Clara, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Cove G-Spot FR, Banshee Scream, Rocky Mountain XC

Submitted by greg w a Cross Country Rider from frederick, md , us

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    They stop, modulate, and never fade. Always there when you need them.

Weaknesses:    They are not light, and if you dont know what you are doing they could be a pain to set up.

Bottom Line:
Really nice brakes, despite the weight factor. I wouldnt swap them for the world. I only weigh 150 but still think they are not overkill, because they do modulate so well..The Wotan fork is made for them so the usual adapter gripes dont apply here. When you want something made well, ask the Germans to do it. Like thier forks, the fit , finish and execution are top notch. Oh, and as with all magura brakes, you dont need to re-bleed them when you cut the lines to fit your bike. Im a bike mechanic and would rather work on Maguras than any other brake system. You get what you pay for, perferction

Favorite Trail:   fred. water shed

Purchased At:   wheelbase fred md

Similar Products Used:   marta's, juicy 5, 7, code et al.

Bike Setup:   Morewood Mbuzi, all mountain. Gustav's. Magura Wotan fork, SramXO/9 drive train , Chris king hubs, easton bits.

Submitted by Downhill Dave a Downhiller from Oceano, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Strengths:    The best stopping brakes, period.

Weaknesses:    None. Other people probably say weight

Bottom Line:
I have used different Hayes brakes, Magura Louise FR, and Avid Codes. These are by far the best. I bought a front and rear set, used off Ebay. The only problem I had was getting the adaptor for the front shock. The company had under calculated the popularity. I was at the 08 Sea Otter Classic, and went to the Magura Booth. They shortened the brake line and bled the brakes for free. Great brakes, just takes a little time to set up properly. Like I had read, they are alomost too much brake. You have to get used to their power. You will have no trouble stopping. They are also very quiet. My Codes drove my crazy with their noise and vibration. They are pricey but worth it.

Favorite Trail:   The Ridge

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Hayes, Avid Code, Magura Louise Fr

Bike Setup:   Trek Session 10 mostly stock, SDG seat and post, Gustav up front(can't use on rear of Session 10)

Submitted by CAPERAN BENJAMIN a Downhiller from FRANCE

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2008

Strengths:    in french : freinage puissant en toutes conditions, parfaitement maîtrisable, leviers bien dessinés, purge trés facile (liquide hydraulique Citroën), plaquettes peu onéreuses ... SAV servaible et compétent.

Weaknesses:    .... ?
Adaptateurs trés chers : 99€ pièce !

Bottom Line:
De trés trés loin les meilleurs freins qu'il m'est été donné d'utiliser, on en trouve facilement d'occasion et les pièces sont bon marché.
A recommander pour des pilotes d'un certain poids (70 et +) qui souhaitent du mordant et un contrôle parfait, même après des heures de montagnes, ou au contraire à froid et dans la boue. Les leviers offrent un bon contact, j'ai changé les 4 doigts d'origine (trop puissants !) pour des 2 doigts offrant moins de couple.
Certes un peu lourd, et adaptateurs trés chers, ils planent trés au dessus du lot (après avoir essayé des 4 et 6 pistons anglais par exemple ...).
Les yeux fermés, et à donf' !!!

Favorite Trail:   PISTE DU PAPE / POPE'S TRAIL

Purchased At:   Vélo Vert

Similar Products Used:   .... ? les autres ?? des ralentisseurs !

Bike Setup:   Démo 8 Pro + Spinergy

Submitted by Jan Lauritzen a Weekend Warrior from Ballerup, Denmark

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Strengths:    Great stopping power, excellent modulation, and an attractive design

Weaknesses:    heavier than most other downhill brakes

Bottom Line:
These brakes are probably the best I have ever tried out on my MTB. The only problem is that they are so much heavier than other downhill brakes on the market. With that said, this is the only problem. Excellent stopping power and modulation, and a nice design as well.
If you want a brake that you can rely on for the next 5 years, choose this brake. If you are concerned about your brake being too heavy, don't choose this brake.
I give this brake 5 Chilis for value rating, but only 4 Chilis for overall rating, since the brake is somewhat heavy.

Purchased At:   a local Danish bike dealer

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT 4 piston disc brake system

Bike Setup:   Centurion(Danish brand) frame, Rock Shox Judy front fork.

Submitted by trail_snail a Weekend Warrior from Berlin GER

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Strengths:    - stop you anytime, anywhere, in every condition in a milisec.
- never alter/loose their power, no fading, no matter how long you go
- bombproof
- easy to bleed compared to Hayes or Avids

Weaknesses:    heavy (but who cares)

Bottom Line:
Here in Germany people refer to them as kedge anchors, which is only half the tuth as they completely lack any on/off-switch feeling. Using one finger only, even after you did 1500m altitude difference, they respond so smooth!
Only your ability to cling to your handlebars and stay on your bike limit their power ;-)

Favorite Trail:   grüner satan

Purchased At:   second hand online

Similar Products Used:   Hayes 9ers, and less advanced disc brakes like Julies, Gatorbrakes, ...

Bike Setup:   Pimped Coiler-DeeLux

Submitted by G. Deacon a Weekend Warrior from U.K

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    powerful and well made

Weaknesses:    heavy and pads are a pain to chage and they need changing

Bottom Line:
Good powerful brakes. Only thing is they come at a price and the pads need changing. Pads are a pain to change.

Favorite Trail:   Ae

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Dave a Downhiller from Whitby

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2006

Strengths:    - unbelievable power
- great modulation
- very consistent lever feel
- great lever design
- easy one finger braking
- absolutely no brake fade
- very durable
- Looks killer

Weaknesses:    - a little heavy (who cares)
- expensive (you get what you pay for though)
- performance pads don't last long
- pads are difficult to change

Bottom Line:
These brakes amaze me. Since I started downhilling I had NEVER been happy with my brakes. I've always had problems with not enough power to stop me, and brake fade on long steep downhills. I went to Hope Mono 6Ti's thinking that they would solve all my problems, however, to me they felt horrible. They didn't have nearly the power I was expecting (less power than my Hayes Mags even), and the brake fade was rediculous. At the end of a long downhill it was all I could do to squeeze hard enough just to get me stopped. So, then I opted for the Gustavs, and I've never looked back. The power is absolutely scary, and the modulation is as good as any brake I've felt before too. But the most impressive thing about them is that they never ever fade out on long downhills. The feel at the lever has remained consistent from the top of the first run I used them to the bottom of the last. Haven't had to rebleed or touch anything, other than change the pads. I have the performance pads in the front, and the endurance pads in the rear. The performance pads give you even more power, however they have to be changed often. I think I went through 4 sets this season, and I'm still on my original set of endurance pads on the back. The only complaint I have is that the pads are more difficult to change than Hayes, but for the amount of times that they have to be taken out, who cares.