Hygia Elite Disc Brake System

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

The calipers and levers made by Aluminum alloy with forging process.Stronger than die casting manufactures of other brands.The weight is only 337g (Please refer to "Our Proudcts\Weight Comparsion Sheet").Finished with polishing and anodizing, to avoid the corrosion of brake fluid and reduce surface’s abrasion.

HYGIA considered the convenience of setting by yourself. You don’t have to take many tools, the humanized installing design, just need a 5mm Allen key & a Torx T25 screwdriver, you can finish the setting of all HYGIA hydraulic disc brakes.

The concealed fluid reservoir made the lever’s style more fashion and interchange for right side and left side. It’s easy to filling and bleeding for one screws design at the reservoir.

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Calgary Canada

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2011

Strengths:    stopping power. modulation. weight. style.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
breaks are faaar better than the juicys. No vibration when breaking heavy, virtually no sound at all. The power is more than I need for cross-country, though maybe not enough for serious downhillers. The style is great. I like that they are under-appreciated breaks, which keeps the price down. Great bang for buck with the carbon levers, dual ceramic pistons and braided hoses.

Similar Products Used:   juicy 3, juicy 5s

Bike Setup:   trek 8500, full XT drivetrain/hubs/shifters, fizik aliante saddle, thompson elite seatpost, hygia carbon brakes, crankbros eggbeaters, duster rims, sammy slick tires.

Submitted by KingPhilipIII a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2011

Strengths:    Its so powerful, i came from deore brakes 595, and i felt the difference initially... easy to install, good anodized color,weight weenie..

Weaknesses:    lever adjustment, i dont want their bolts cause they are using starnuts..

Bottom Line:
this is one lucky brake.. between XTR and Elite.. i'll choose this elite over and over..

Favorite Trail:   Mayon Trail

Purchased At:   online seller

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   2011 trek 8500, F100 RLC Fit, alex D5 wheelset and deore drivetrain

Submitted by jtoreygomez a Cross Country Rider from San Ramon, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2010

Strengths:    Very light. Strong brakes. "snappy" lever feel. Cheap. Look great. Steel braided hoses. Easy to setup. great modulation.

Weaknesses:    Long levers (compromise shifter setup). Anodized red is a little pink. poor initial assembly. instructions are not translated to english well. Uses torx bolts instead of allen bolts.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to give a full, unbiased review of these brakes so pull up a seat. I ordered the Elite's in red off Ebay and amazingly received the brakes in 1 week from Taiwan. On initial inspection the brakes looked amazing! Calipers look just like XTR and pads are identical. Levers look like a elixir/magura hybrid. Please note though that the anodized red color has a little pink and is not a pure red, but still looks great! The seller made a slight "error" by sending me a 180mm rotor instead of 2 160mm rotors. This was a bonus, but the downside was that the proper mount was not sent for the 180mm rotor so I ventured out to 2 LBS to find the needed adapter (just an FYI- the Magura QM-6 post adapter is spot on). Brakes installed fairly easily and quickly with the proper adapter (much easier than setting up avid brakes). Just grab the brake and tighten the caliper bolts. Be sure to observe the caliper when tightening because they were moving out of position. I had to hold the caliper steady then tighten the caliper bolts.

After setup I did some street test runs and the brakes felt amazing. Levers snap back very fast which helps the modulation. Super strong brakes! The levers are longer than my old Juicy 3's so the shifters needed to be slid in to fit for the longer levers but the feel of the levers is great!

The following day I noticed my rotor had brake fluid on it from a leaky caliper on the front. I had to take off the rotor and caliper to inspect the problem. The fixture attaching the brake hose to the caliper was not tight enough causing the leak. After tightening the nut, washing the rotor and brake pads with soap and water then reinstalling, the brakes are now perfect! (luckily, I did not need to bleed the brakes after this as they still had just as much bite as before). Just be sure to check the hose fittings to ensure they are tight before installing.

On the trail these brakes really perform. They stop WAY better than my Juicy's did and even better than Elixir's I have tried on friends bikes. The adjustments cannot be done on the fly, but with a small tool the lever reach and contact point can be adjusted very easily (another slight detriment is that they use a torx tool instead of allen wrenches). Once they are set they don't need to be adjusted though. The amount of modulation is amazing! I have way more control over rocky, techy stuff.

The bottom line is once these brakes "brake-in" (pun intended) they are fantastic! Be sure to have the seller at least include the post mount rotor adapter if you plan on using the 180mm/203mm rotor as finding the mount may be difficult and also be sure to check the assembly work to save some headaches later. They look great (even though red color does not match all other anodized red on my setup) and stop better! I am rating perfect on value because for the money they cannot be beat and 4 on overall rating because of the lack of proper adapters and poor initial assembly. If these didn't leak initially though they would also get a perfect on overall rating.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy, Avid Elixir, Magura Marta, Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant Trance X3, SLX crank, Gravity Dropper post.

Submitted by Spaceman-Spiff a Weekend Warrior from La Eliana, Valencia, Spain

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Strengths:    Good Modulation and Stopping Power, very nice look, pads are XT compatible, bleeding is very easy.

Weaknesses:    None so far, will see as time passes. May be the DOT4 deposit in lever body is not too big for long descents. But these brakes are intended for XC or light AM.

Bottom Line:
The Turkey Warble of my old Juicy 7 was driving me crazy, so I decided to sell them and I bought a set of Hygia Red Elite. At first sight, the Red Elites have a fantastic look, and match my black bike very nicely. The building quality is very good, calipers and Lever body are made from a solid piece of Aluminum CNC machined and then anodized, craftmanship is superb.

Regarding the Service, I had a minor issue and had to contact Trailgrit and Hygia in Taiwan and both responded quickly and sent some parts for free to solve my issue.

Functionally, they work really well and in total silence, good modulation, stopping power. I would recommend them for XC and light AM, but probably not for full AM.

Favorite Trail:   Sierra del Espadan

Purchased At:   http://www.trailgrit

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 7 (and I hated their Turkey Warble)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper 2006 with RP23, full XT 2008, Rock Shox Revelation, Mavic 719 Rims, Thomson Seatpost and Stem.

Submitted by dlderiggi a Cross Country Rider from Brasil

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
Hygia Elite Hidraulic Brake

Favorite Trail:   XC

Submitted by cruzinaz a Weekend Warrior from ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    Looks, light weight, finish quality, power, feel, fitment, bling factor, modulation, lever shape and adjustability.

Weaknesses:    Cables are a bit too long for my small frame

Bottom Line:
I bought the Elite's with the stainless hose upgrade. Best bang for the buck brakes that I have ever seen, heard of or used. Work so much better than the Hayes on my other bike or the Avid's that they replaced. I think I will get another set of the Elite's before people realize how good these are and the prices go up.

Favorite Trail:   12-mile

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   Hayes, Avid

Bike Setup:   Carbon hardtail, SID Team, XC One's ... blah blah blah

Submitted by DeeEight a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    Quick and easy setup, very light weight for the money (291g front/316g rear for lever/caliper/hose/IS mount brackets, 46g for other mounting bolts, 207g for the 6-bolt rotors), split-perch clamps and the levers are reversible for those who run their brakes moto-style. Good choice of annodized colours (red, gold, grey) and use shimano xtr/xt compatible pads. Good stopping power and modulation, didn't drag noticeably at all once broken in, and the lever shape is fine.

Weaknesses:    I got OEM packaged brakes so they didn't include instructions and the hoses were a tad short but acceptable for the bike they went on. The manufacturer's website does however have the instructions on it at least. Otherwise no complaints thus far.

Bottom Line:
For the dollar, these are hard to beat for the performance and quality they offer. Oh sure, not a "name" brand product but given some major brand name brakes I've seen fail to live up to the hype, I'll take these any day.

Favorite Trail:   Lime Kiln

Purchased At:   Off Fleabay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano hydraulic and mechanical disc brakes (many), Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulics, Magura Louise and Clara, Formula ORO K24s, Avid mechanical discs.

Bike Setup:   2009 Haro Beasley 1x9 frame with NeoMoto 2.3 650B tires, Blunt rims, Revolution Spokes, Psylo Race fork, 2x9 drivetrain, Hope Pro2 hubs, DuraAce Thumbies, Thomson post, Ballistic Ti stem.

Submitted by peachy27 a Cross Country Rider from Glasgow

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2009

Strengths:    Price I paid about £80 for full set up. The look trick, anodising is really tough. Weight is minimal, levels are great minimal movement, feel really positive, front lever moves same as rear despite longer cable? strange but good. Shimano based so parts cheap and reliable. Well finished. Twin pistons and silent braking

Weaknesses:    the front brake and rear brake are round the wrong way, so you need to swap the cables over when you first get em, or you will pull the left lever and go over your bars (not that I did)

Bottom Line:
If you get these get some AVID roundagon 185 rotors, hope mounts and they are the business. I do all sorts of riding and they always stop, don't boil or fade, and work super smooth. Really good powerful brake for cheap. One bit of my bike I dont think about upgrading.

Favorite Trail:   7 Stanes any

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy

Bike Setup:   Cove stiffee 17'5, Marzocchi Bombers All Mountain 3's, XT LX group. Maciv hope fsa etc

Submitted by gonch a Weekend Warrior from Manchester, England

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2008

Strengths:    Super Light, even lighter with carbon and Ti kit at a smidgen over 270 grams, very powerfull and very compact.

Weaknesses:    limited availability,

Bottom Line:
I bought a new frame wanting to build a resonable 4X rig without going to over board. while perusing through ebay, i came accross these. did a little reading up on them, and on paper sound real impressive, although in saying that, so does most brake systems. but from 10 years within the trade, these came across as spectacular, does everything it says on the tin. spare parts are available redaly, [mainly shimano fitment], not much movent in the leaver [wich is perfect for my style] and a resonable amount of modulation.

ideal for anything from XC to full on freeride, i would even go as far as to say DH race with 203mm rotors [not included with the kit]

would recomend to anyone looking for a budget but very light weight brake system.

Favorite Trail:   Everywhere

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   xtr, saints, louise, hfx 9, gatorbrake, hope mono, 4 , mini, avid 7. yar yar yar.

Bike Setup:   4X, messiah 4.5" frame, Domains, syncros, race face, gamut, x9.

2x10 converstion for 2012 Trek Rumblefish elite

Hi all, First post here. Great community! Lots of great information here! Quick question: I just bought a Rumblefish and I am curious if anyone with this bike has done a 2x10 converstion. I was under the impression that I could, but my LBS is saying something diffrent. Something about the bo ... Read More »

Scott Scale 29 Elite; Upgrade time questions.

Last night I was out riding my local trail and my rear derailleur decided to explode and take out my chain and a spoke on one of my ea70 xct wheels. So I think I'm going to take this opportunity to upgrade. I would like to go to 1x10 and switch to SRAM. My question is will a SRAM x9 GXP crank fi ... Read More »

My new Trek superfly 100 Al elite

Well about a month ago I got a Trek Marlin and was considering upgrading the the fork and some other forks but this past Friday I went by the trek store and traded it in for a whole new bike lol. I got the Superfly 100 AL elite. I really like this bike and I think it will do what I want to do. The M ... Read More »

Thoughts on the superfly 100 al elite/pro?

Just wondering what those of you that have either of these have to say about them. I'm real close to pulling the trigger and would like to hear from those that have put a few miles on them.Read More »

Stumpjumper 2013 Elite - what wheels do I have / how much do they weigh?

I recently purchased a demo 2013 StumpJumper Elite which appears to have the same wheels as the 2013 SJ Comp 29. Has anyone weighed the wheels for either a SJ Elite 29 or a SJ Comp 29 (i.e., without tire, disc, thru axles, etc.)? I am looking at buying a lighter wheel set, and would like an idea on ... Read More »