Hope Tech M4 Evo Disc Brake System

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

TECH EVO LEVER For 2012The lever pivot has been slightly shortened whichTranslatesTo a 15% increase in power.TheTech Evo lever now has a roller fittedToThe cam mechanism, further enhancingThe smooth feel ofThe lever. Ambidextrous ‘flip flop’ design, CNC machined from a solid billet of 2014T6 aircraft spec aluminium alloy - with a split clampTo allow easy set up and choice of positioning. Redesigned piston, lever and pivot assembly with external ‘onThe fly’ reach and bite

Submitted by VooDooman a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2013

Strengths:    strong
good modulation
ease of maintenance!

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
These are fantastic. I have the front setup with the bradied hose and a floting rotor. The rear has the standard hose and a solid rotor. I say get the stadard black hoses and solid rotors. I haven't noticed any major difference in stopping power between the two to justify the hose and rotor upgrades aside from the bling factor.

I bought these brakes because they are good stoppers and easy to service. I bled these brakes after cutting the hoses and it was a piece of cake. No syringes necessay. You can also get all the replacement parts which I like since I do all my own service.

Unlike some other brakes I've tried, these have great modulation. You really feel the relationship between how much you squeeze the lever and braking force at the wheel.

I have had no brake fade on long descents including The Whole Enchilada in Moab. I also used the brakes on my bike at a few bike parks and they were perfect. I'm about 210lbs with all my gear and my VooDoo stops pretty darn quick.

I have had none of the issues with the brakes being wet and losing power or screeching incessantly. I rode a whole afternoon in the rain at Trestle Bike Park and never felt a decrease in braing power.

Make sure to watch the video on setting up the brakes. It is a little different procedure, but it is fairly simple to get everything centered.

Favorite Trail:   ShyAnn, Rainmaker

Purchased At:   Jensonsusa

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy five, Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   VooDoo Zopob, Mavic Crossmax ST wheels,

Submitted by Dambala a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2013

Strengths:    Power and modulation. Relatively easy to set up. Solid/smooth feel at the lever.

Weaknesses:    Time will tell

Bottom Line:
First ride with Hope Tech EVO M4 front/ Tech EVO X2. After a bedding in the pads and a couple of final adjustments they performed very well. For the first time I feel like I have brakes comparable in power and feel to a good motorcycle.

Anxious to see how they perform after several months of hard use.

Similar Products Used:   Magura MT-8, Shimano XT

Submitted by James a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2012

Strengths:    Great modulation, power. Super smooth feel, after a year using the oem set that came on my Specialized Enduro ( overheating, squealing vibrating horrors!) getting back to Hope's is just fantastic. I had V2's on a Demo 8 before- they were faultless too. Aside from the quality of their product, Hope's customer service is tip top. I broke the hose fitting at the lever in a crash and Hope sent me 2 replacements in the post to Italy free of charge. Goes without saying that the machining and detail is second to none.

Weaknesses:    aaaahh,,,,,,,,, nope!

Bottom Line:
Fit, pin it, brake later.

Favorite Trail:   Mt della Cesane

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Hayes 9, Avid Elixer

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Expert 2011

Submitted by SlowerJoe

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2012

Strengths:    this is my favorite brake set
I have it on two of my bikes and the modulation is perfect
it is easy to adjust the reach "comes in handy when wearing gloves on my fat bike"
all the hardware is reusable and rebuildable

Weaknesses:    a touch heavy "who cares"

Bottom Line:
if your tired a throw away products this is a nice change

Submitted by UzziDH

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    Look sweet and work good in the dry.

Weaknesses:    Anytime they get wet be ready for the lovely sound of a pig getting stabbed. I live in the Pacific Northwest and ride year round. For those that don't know it rains for 5-6 months during the winter in Oregon. After two rides in the wet I couldn't take it anymore so I took them off and sold them for 1/4 of what I paid. Both Hope and Chain Reaction had no interest in making things right with me. I'll never spend another dime at either company. What really sucked is that I was so happy when I first bought them I ended up putting them on three bikes. One year later none of my bikes have them. Also, they have about 1/4 of the stopping power when they get wet. Now I know why they are nammed Hope. The first time I got stuck riding them in the rain I was Hoping I was going to stop since I was riding on cliff trail.

Bottom Line:
I bought my first pair in the spring and rode them all summer. Then the rainy season started and that's when my eyes were opened. These brakes SUCK! I'll never own anything from Hope and never buy anything from Chain Reaction again! I was so pissed after spending that amount of money on these over priced POS. Buyer beware. If you only ride in dry conditions you'll probably be ok. If you ride in the rain or in wet conditions be ready for lots of noise that never goes away and be ready for 1/4 of the stopping power when wet.

Submitted by MTBforlife a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2012

Strengths:    Where do I start. These brakes are quite, powerful, one finger is all you need to put these stoppers to work.

Weaknesses:    These brakes came with organic pads. Im not a big fan of organic pads, but that is simply preference

Bottom Line:
These brakes are well designed. They look great and they work perfectly.

Favorite Trail:   Cannel Plunge