Hope Mono6ti Disc Brake System

4.62/5 (39 Reviews)

The Mono6ti has been developed to be the ultimate in braking technology. It is first bicycle disc brake to feature titanium pistons fitted into a state of the art 6 piston, one-piece caliper. Titanium, as well as being light and very durable, is one of the best materials for insulating the caliper from the heat generated in the pads and disc. The pistons are also coated with titanium nitride to reduce friction with the seals. The single design of caliper uses different brackets to fit current frames and forks. It also uses the Mini lever.

Submitted by eric a Downhiller from edmonton

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2008

Strengths:    modulation, looks, durability

Weaknesses:    none found

Bottom Line:
Im a kinda fat downhiller (6' 235lbs) and these brakes can stop me on a dime. It might have to do with my weight, but it has never locked up and modulates perfectly. Its easy to maintain and a sinch to bleed. A must have on any downhill rig.

Purchased At:   rvc

Similar Products Used:   hayes 9, juicy 7s, hope m4

Bike Setup:   faith 2, 888rc, hope m6(front]m4(rear), dhx 5, race face cranks, dangerboy pedals(love-hate relationship)and all the other steezy gear a ride should have

Submitted by Travis Allen a Downhiller from Idaho

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2007

Strengths:    Tons of power and lots of modulation, extremley reliable.

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
Absolutely easy to set up (nay sayers should stay home because getting up requires effort too.) you can rely on them day in and day out, pads make a difference in performance as with any brake. I rode a set of mags last summer and they faded at the worst possible time, i adjusted them and gave them another shot and they did the same shortly there of. So again I am back on the burliest brake on the market with total confidence.

If you bomb hills, are hard on components, ride hard or just want a peice of equiptment on the bike that you don't have to question or worry about the mono 6tis are them.

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Similar Products Used:   Hayes mags, nines, magura, etc...

Bike Setup:   07 Canfield F1, 888WC, I-9 wheelset, mono 6tis goodridge lines and DB levers, more....

Submitted by Blair a Downhiller from Banff, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2007

Strengths:    Modulation is fantastic, there is lots of bite in the pads and you can always control how strong the brake comes on. The feel in the lever is really good as I am hardly ever surprised by the power for how much I pull the lever.
They have loads of power and there has been the odd time that the power has almost gotten the better of me and almost sent me over the bars... never really a problem when going fast though.

Bleeding isn't too challenging either, it may take a little while to be sure there's no air bubbles left but it's not hard. That said, a Hayes is easier to bleed.
The shims for alignment work really well and seriously aren't that hard to figure out. I'm surprised so many people find them a weakness. If you're having problems with them I suggest getting your disc tabs faced.
They also look cool

Weaknesses:    Okay so now the fun part.
If I leave my bike for a day or two it seems like the pads 'glaze' over and need to be ridden for a bit to regain their bite. On second thought, it might have something to do with the rotor because last season I tried 3 different types of pads and they all do the same.
Somehow, I keep managing to overheat the system and cook the pads. So far I've found that EBC gold pads work the best. They seem to have more bite than the Hope sintered ones and are cheaper. They also didn't cook as fast.
I've had the brake randomly pull right to the bar, then say two pulls later the reach was way out to the point that it was hard to grab. That may have had something to do with the c-clip for the pushrod popping out into a new spot randomly.
The post mount adapter doesn't have wide enough slots to align properly without you having to file the slots bigger.

Bottom Line:
When these are working properly they are absolutely amazing.
The problem is that maybe a third of the time I'm complaining about how they have faded or are doing something unpredictable. They are the one part on my bike that this season I could just not trust, so I'm getting rid of them and putting some Avid Codes on instead to see if they're any better.
The only reason I've used them this long is because I wanted to see if I could change pads, or bleeds or whatever and get them working properly. I wouldn't buy another set.

Favorite Trail:   Mount 7, Harper, any good skatepark

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse Cycles in San Francisco

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Mag G1, Shimano Deore, Hope M4, Avid Juicy 7

Bike Setup:   Commencal VIP Supreme 6

Submitted by Nick Wolsink a Downhiller from Germany

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2006

Strengths:    Great stopping Power yet modulated. Thes brakes feel good and stay good!

Weaknesses:    Initial setup is quite a lot of work, when new they don't feel super yet.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are great, but do get the floating disks to go with it, these have at least 20% more power, this is not due to the "floating" but due to a larger disc surface.

Favorite Trail:   Winterberg / Germany

Purchased At:   Stappenbelt

Similar Products Used:   Hope mono4, Hayes9, Avid Juicy5/7.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Demo9, Marzocchi888RC2x, FoxDHX5, HopeMono6/4, Deemax UST, Truvativ Howitzer BB&Cranks, MRP System3 Chainguide.

Submitted by Cody from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    modulation, power, modulation, looks, modulation, feel, control,

Weaknesses:    They do require patience to set up. Its been said over and over but take the time to do it right the first time through. Pricey

Bottom Line:
When I first got these brakes up and running and was playing around in the parking lot I was afraid I had wasted my money. They don't have the hard bite of a lot of brakes I've owned. I attributed it to break in times and thought I'd wait and see. Well, they do take a long time to break in but I think I was used to the on/off feel of inferior brakes. These things truly are the most amazing brakes I've ever used. 7 days in a row of Whistler, Sun Peaks, Silver Star riding and never got hand pump, never noticed any fade. Never wished for more power and did I mention best modulation of any brake out there. I use one finger to stop always. We aren't talking about instand lockup (its there if you really want it) braking. We are talking about smooth, effortless control in any situation. The brakes ooze confidence and oh yeah, look cool as hell. I've ridden a lot of great brakes that I would recommend in a heartbeat, but nothing reaches out and strokes me the way these do. You have to ride them to really understand what they offer.

Similar Products Used:   Hayes mag, Hayes hfx hd, Hayes hfx 9 (crap), 4 piston XT's, Magura louise FR's, Saints,

Bike Setup:   04 Devinci 8flat8, boxxer race, saint cranks, x.9 drivetrain.

Submitted by One Off a Downhiller from Honolulu, HI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2006

Strengths:    Consistent power and linear modulation rate. Brilliant heat dispersion, I've yet to encounter even a hint of fade. Reasonable caliper weight considering their robust construction. Excellent floating rotor design (they're lighter than Hayes 203mm rotors), and rotational weight savings is never a bad thing. Comes stock with steel braid hose. Single finger braking. They look the sh*t! The rotor spider, master cylinder cap, piston bore caps, and lever blades are available in six colors, and can be factory installed. Excellent customer service.

Weaknesses:    As far as performance weaknesses, I've found exactly zero. I've heard it said that "Hopes have a spongy feel to them, that's due to a design flaw". I assure you that this is not the case. If you're new to the Hope mark, you should seek out a mech., who KNOWS HOPE BRAKES. If you're not a patient person, setup and tuning may drive you to drink heavily, during, instead of after the build. That said, I have some cosmetic issues. For the price, more attention should be paid to the finish, for example: the surface machining should be somewhat more refined (closer to that of Chris King's finish quality). Also I think the lever-blade bolt should have been spec'd with a bit more attention to aesthetic. Users who have complained about the initial setup should have considered what they were getting into. These are high performance parts, and just like any truly high-end, precision racing part, they require proper setup and tuning. As for people with pricing issues. What do you expect? Aston Martin quality at Scion prices. . . . Get real.

Bottom Line:
If you like Hayes Mag-HD on/off feeling, these are definitly not for you. If you're a weight-weenie, these aren't for you. If you don't have the patience to setup and tune your set, you guessed it.

However, if you're willing to pay top-dollar for high-end performance and sexy aesthetics. And if you can read -and follow- directions, look no further than Hope's six piston offering. You won't be dissapointed.

Power: *****
Price: ***

Favorite Trail:   St. Louis

Purchased At:   Monk-A-Moo

Similar Products Used:   Purple, Mag-HD, Mono Mini

Bike Setup:   '04 Bighit, '06 RC2X, DHX5, Mono6 203mm, XO Shifter, X9 R-Der, Nokon, Deity Cranks, King Hubs, Halo Hoops, Tubeless SBC Rubbers, King SteelSet, Deity Riser, Rouges, Hot Seat

Submitted by 123 mtb a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    Built like a tank, lots of pistons, nice modulation, nice floating rotors.

Weaknesses:    Hassle to bleed, hassle to setup / shim, expensive/hard to find brakes & parts...

Bottom Line:
Bought these brakes expecting to be blown away ... Lots of pistons, titanium, floating rotors - wow! They are nice brakes - they stop you, they modulate pretty well, and once they are set up, they are easy to maintain.

The only problem I have is that they aren't any better than my XT755s, Magura Louise FR or the Avid Juicy's which cost half as much ... If you need to have the best on your bike - these are it ... but if you just want a reliable stopper there are easier / cheaper setups that do the job just as well!

Similar Products Used:   Hayes, Avids, Maguras, Shimano XT 755DH, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Cove G Spot / Kona ...

Submitted by Jacomus a Weekend Warrior from Guildford, Surrey, England (UK)

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    Performance under duress, looks, build quality.

Weaknesses:    Beyond my abilities to set up perfectly, though minor tweaks are fine.

Bottom Line:
The brake is what you expect of a motorcyle brake. Brilliantly sensitive modulation, awesomely controllable stopping power. Good in the wet (suffers from slightly too much power if you are not very careful with the lever). I would recommend buying Hope sintered pads though, the riding I do takes me up to around 45mph and can need some very dramatic stops. I was told that the non-sintered pads were very good, and tried them out. Very good is true, though not excellent (which I can say that the glod sintered pads are).

Today I was forced into a 45-0mph stop on a very steep hill in my area. The brake did suffer quite bad fade, but that kind of stop is not recommened under any circumstances. At the end of my braking I was still having to lean back hard to keep the back down, and only had a very small amount of play with my rear brake before it would lock.

This brake is for dedicated and experienced riders only, its power is great enough that an inexperienced rider, grabbing a hanful in surprise would have a very nasty meeting of face and road.

Jacomus

Purchased At:   Can't remember, online though

Similar Products Used:   Much much worse Deore XT hydo from Shimano - totally, utterly rubbish.

Bike Setup:   MTB customised for agressive road downhilling.

Submitted by ryan jehu a Weekend Warrior from wales

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2006

Strengths:    unbeleivable stopping power, actually whent over the bars on the track, didnt think it would stop so fast. very nice looking brake and customizable.

Weaknesses:    cost

Bottom Line:
great product exellent stopping power, worht the cash.

Purchased At:   allterraincycles.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   deore m525 hope m4

Bike Setup:   big hit, shiver dc, sram x-9 truvativ, ddg, hope xc mono 6, wtb 2.5 tyre's, dmr v12 chris king, easton bar, vuelta anti snakebite.

Submitted by Sean Nethercott a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2006

Strengths:    quality product made in the UK.
Great modulation.
Good Stopping Power.
Light Rotors.
Easy Bleed compared to Hayes.

Weaknesses:    Setup is a hassle
Parts are hard to find / expensive

Bottom Line:
When I first got them I wasn't that impressed - especially for what they cost. The lever feel seemed alot like the hayes that they replaced - they were a real hassle to set up ...

Once I got them out to ride, they were fantastic - modulation stopping power, maintnance free. I'm not a big gear guy, but brakes are something that I will spend the money on - the only thing that comes close to these are the XT 755s and the Maguras ...

Favorite Trail:   DF

Purchased At:   local

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Comp, Mag, nines, Shimano Deore 555, XT 755, Magura, Avid Juicys, BB's, Hope M4, mini

Bike Setup:   Cove Gspot FR

Submitted by John a Downhiller from Vashon, WA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2006

Strengths:    Awesome stopping power. Great modulation. No fade. These are pretty much bullet proof.

Also, their customer service rocks.

Weaknesses:    As I mentioned when reviewing the M4s, the only weakness and its not really a weakness is that they can be time consuming to set up. Once done properly, they work great and don't need any attention.

Bottom Line:
For the mechanically impatient, go get some Hayes. Otherwise, well worth the effort.

Similar Products Used:   Hope M4s, Hayes HFX-9 and Mag.

Bike Setup:   Its the envy of most ;-).

Submitted by Sam Samaha a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2006

Strengths:    Stopping power, and damn good looks

Weaknesses:    Price, but heck, brakes this good aren't going to be cheap.

Bottom Line:
I weigh well over 200lbs with riding gear, and I live in a very hilly area, so I wanted to spare no expense on brakes to make sure I can stop while screaming downhill incase something got in my way! Well these brakes bring new meaning to the term "stop on a dime" .. they are AMAZING. I have the M6 on the front with a 205mm disc, and the M4 on the rear with the 180mm rotor, and if I hit them hard enough, even while going down a hill at 25+ mpg, I can lock them up on asphalt! I almost threw myself off the bike doing just that, had I not let off on the brakes to get the wheels spinning again... These brakes would really rock if they could develop an equal to ABS for bikes.. cause they'll lock up if you squeeze them too hard, no matter how fast you're going!

Favorite Trail:   back yard

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR and Saint hydraulic disc, and other cable disc brakes

Bike Setup:   http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum39.html

Submitted by Laurie a Downhiller from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2006

Strengths:    This brake is far more superior than anything that is out there! For a six piston brake, it is pretty light. As well, they come stock with a braided stainless steel brake line. With Hayes, that would cost you extra. These brakes look cool and are fully functional. I have never had issues with this brake throughout its duration. I have never experienced brake fade and I always have 100% braking force.

Weaknesses:    Eat up pads fairly quickly. This is a small price to pay considering you can stop on a dime! I also have a Fox 40RC2 and I needed to buy a nine inch rotor. These are really hard to come by and are on back order from Hope.

Bottom Line:
If you have the money, I suggest getting a set of them. They are worth every penny even though they are pricey.

Favorite Trail:   Monkey Poo

Purchased At:   The Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Hayes HFX Mag HDs. These were pieces and were always problematic for me.

Bike Setup:   Fully loaded Stab Primo

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2006

Strengths:    Very powerful, no fade, looks.

Weaknesses:    Heavy!

Bottom Line:
I bought these pretty much as soon as they were released (Jan 04) and have ridden them all over the place including Wales and Morzine/Les Gets and they are superb. You can now pick them up for about £50 less thean I paid for them which has to be good.

The bike they were on was stolen last July and it was then that I realised just how good they were. In the mean time I have been riding Hayes Nines and Hope Mono M4s and they just dont perform as well - nothing wrong with them just not as good. I got the Bullit back late last year and cant wait till I can stick them on my VP Free.

I dont know how anyone could complain about the braking performance of these - except maybe for noise but that seems to be more related to your frame than the brakes - a properly trued and spacered frame with solid mounts makes a huge improvement - I first ran them on a Super 8 which had pretty flexy mounts and they did squeal a bit - the Bullit is fine tho.

Pads seem to last very well - I only run plain (non sintered) ones. They are as easy to bleed as any Hope brake and heaps easier than Hayes.

They may be a bit of overkill for rear brakes??? Modulation is also superb - no on/off switch like some brakes are.

Favorite Trail:   Chicksands. Les Gets

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Hayes HFX, Nines, Hope Minis, M4, C2s, Mono Minis, Mono M4s, Magura Julies, Claras, Formula and a cupla others.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Bullit 04 with 888s. 205mm rotors F&R.

Submitted by Adam a Downhiller from Santa Barbara Calif. USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Strengths:    Great brakes altament power and modulation. Could be to much power sometimes but not as much as gustavs.

Weaknesses:    none. The replacment parts are expensive but that is it.

Bottom Line:
get this product if you can afford it or find some great deal used. parts might be hard to find so by extra to bring on trips. make sure the guy at you local bike store knows these brakes and can work on them.

Favorite Trail:   Cold Spring or Romero