Hope Mono Mini Disc Brake System

3.74/5 (145 Reviews)

The Mono caliper is machined from single billet of 2014 T6 aluminium offering unrivalled stiffness and enhanced lever feel. It uses the Mini lever with a fixed caliper housing two opposing pistons. Caliper pistons contain stainless steel inserts to isolate the caliper from the heat generated in the pads. An open system allows for automatic pad wear adjustment and enables the brake to handle the highest temperatures without “pump-up”.

Submitted by DianeWong a Cross Country Rider from poway,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2010

Strengths:    Outstanding fit and finish. They modulate well with adequate power and have had no issues in over six years.

Weaknesses:    None for me...expensive?

Bottom Line:
I must give credit where credit is due, the Mono Minis have been a good solid trouble free brake. I liked them so much on the '04 bike, that I purchased another set in '07 for the SS. Last month I picked up a new '09 Titus FTM and transferred the rear brakes from the '04 bike over to it. I opted for a new set of Hope X2race brakes for the new post mount fork. I ride my bikes hard but I don't abuse them(although I did crack a rigid fork this summer!). For me at 200+lbs.,the Mono Minis have been excellent

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Similar Products Used:   Avid BB-7

Bike Setup:   '04 Titus Swichblade, '07 custom steel Strong rigid SS,
'09 Titus FTM running Mono Minis on all of them(except for HopeX2race on front of the FTM

Submitted by irideablackbike a Weekend Warrior from Ann Arbor

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic looks, great power, excellent modulability, easy to maintain, light weight.

Weaknesses:    The reservoir leaks, but I think it's due to a bad gasket.

Bottom Line:
I got these brakes dirt cheap and I love them. Here's the thing though, I thought they sucked until I spent some time on them. I bled them and dressed the pads and cleaned the rotors and they are fantastic. They stop on a dime, they modulate really well and they have good power. We'll see how well they last over the year as far as maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatomi

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   juicy 5, juicy 7, shim xt, bb7

Bike Setup:   Sette Reken, White Brothers fork, Monkey Bar, X9 derailleurs, x7 shifters, thomson seat post, FSA XC-300 wheels, 990 cassette, Karma Tires.

Submitted by Kufsteinlied a Cross Country Rider from Kufstein, Austria

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2009

Strengths:    Nice progressive lever feel (PRO lever); Original organic pads last very long, easy bleeding, nicely machined

Weaknesses:    Very low braking power (you always need 2 or 3 fingers, not really suitable for longer downhill runs in the alps), relatively loud, excess DOT drops out of calliper bleed nipple direcly onto pads, pads only exchangeable after wheel or calliper removal

Bottom Line:
Looks nice, but the braking power is really low. I tried all kinds of pads, but Hope organic stays the "best". Still it worked without major incident over 5 years on my touring bike.
I strongly recommend to choose the M4, even if you are a CC rider! The M4 is the much much better brake.

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles

Similar Products Used:   CODA Expert closed system, Magura Louise, Hope M4 Tech, V-Brakes, Magura HS33

Bike Setup:   Simplon Hardtail w/ Hope Mono Mini 2004, 180/160mm rotors

Submitted by Andrew Perez a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2009

Strengths:    Great braking power, Very reliable, looks good, worth every Dollar,

Bottom Line:
You wont regret buying Hope mono mini, as long as you do it right when you do your maintenance work on this brake and follow what the manuals instruction it wont let you down.

Favorite Trail:   Akatarawa Forest

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic FSR 2003, Tune hubs, Deore XT FC-M770 crankset, Cris King bottom bracket and heatset

Submitted by Mark Doyle a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2009

Strengths:    Theese brakes look fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Lack of consistent performance.

Bottom Line:
Some may think that buying a pair of disk brakes of ebay isn't too clever, but these were in fantastic condition. I put the brakes on the bike and was seriously disappointed by the braking power when compared with my Avid V-brakes. I could grab the levers either front or back and still pedal. I have since blead the brakes, changing the fluid to Dot 5.1 and put on new Superstar pads both front and rear and completed approximately 200 miles. There performance has improved but the don't feel as though they have fully bedded in. It even seemed that the performance changed over night. When I compare my girlfriend's v-brake which are xtr levers with Avid ultimate V's I am seriously disappointed by the performace of the Hopes even in the wet. The brakes have develop some feel and bite but are no where near the feel and bite of the V's. I am going to keep fettling with them but it is all getting a bit silly.

Favorite Trail:   Natural

Similar Products Used:   Avid V-brakes

Bike Setup:   Steel hard-tail.

Submitted by martylane a Cross Country Rider from chico, calif., usa

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2009

Strengths:    Very reliable, little maintenance required; do not lock-up due to overheating even on long long descents; minimal size, great high-tech looks; affordable

Weaknesses:    Not very powerful, modulation not all that great.

Bottom Line:
I've been very happy with the reliability of these brakes, and the fact that they require little to no maintenance. Modulation and power is not so great -- really, the Avid rim brakes I had on my bike before had better power and feel. Power is "single digit" sufficient, though, so it's not like the brakes don't stop. I have Avid bb5 on a 29r, and they perform better in terms of modulation. These brakes could probably do with a larger front rotor, though you'd lose the minimal setup. Bottom line: performance is good for xc use; reliability, low maintenance, and minimal size make them worth having.

Purchased At:   monkamoo.com

Similar Products Used:   Hayes hfx-9 xc, avid bb7, avid bb5

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic, 160 rotor front, 140 rotor rear

Submitted by TBest90662 a Cross Country Rider from Foothill Ranch, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2008

Strengths:    Great modulation and lever feel. Extremely smooth feel and maintenance free. Brake pads/rotors appear to be less susceptible to contamination...especially when compared to the Avid line of hydraulic brakes. Floating rotors help reduce brake fade and do look nice... especially when one takes advantage of custom colors (rotor hat, piston bore caps, etc.).

Weaknesses:    Bleeding must be done properly or you will trap air in the master cylinder.. I highly recommend reviewing the Hope technical video for bleeding. There's one very important step in the bleed (towards the end) that will guarantee 100% consistent performance (properly 'rolling the diaphragm' on).

Bottom Line:
Best quality brake I've ever used with decent power (not the most powerful cross country brake). However, note that I use them on my 6" travel trail bike (7" rotor front, 6" in back) and have had no problems (I weigh 145 lbs though).

Favorite Trail:   Chupacabra

Purchased At:   Rock-n-Road Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy & Elixirs, Magura Marta SL, Shimano XTR, etc.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro SL, 27.4 lbs, XT, XO, Roval Traversee' wheels. Hope Mono Mini brakes with Ti hardware package.

Submitted by Stan a Weekend Warrior from Derbyshire

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Strengths:    very easy to bleed, good modulation, quite nice looking.

Weaknesses:    pump, lever needs ajusting quite alot (ajuster screw seems to slack of)and braking power is inconsistent relative to whether ie: quite bad role through in the wet. not overly powerful.

Bottom Line:
quite nice, a little disapointed though, almost had some bad accedents due to role through (I know how to keep the pads and rotors clean so its not that)and the pump is quite bad, not through doing masive decents or anything like that realy just a good raz through the woods seems to do it, the lever dipresses right to the bar some times with out any stoping power at all, a few moments of pumping the lever and ther back . I bleed them regulary so I dont know why it happens, when they work there good but I've used better, the jucys and the formulas are sweet! I'm going to try XT 775 now, I've herd there very good.

Favorite Trail:   most places in the peak

Purchased At:   Samways Derby

Similar Products Used:   avid jucy 7, hayes stroker trail, hayes nine, formula oro

Bike Setup:   charge ti blender, marzochhi wc 4x forks, bulbs on 729's truvative and xt groop set

Submitted by dirtysac a Cross Country Rider from Yorkshire

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome Power, look very cool, very light

Weaknesses:    crap standard bolts

Bottom Line:
I went from M4's to new mono mini's not be pure choice but for other reasons. I am mega impressed. They have as far as I can tell the same stopping power as M4's, they never pump up, they just try to put me over bars everytime, they are awesome. Granted there must be some difference between M4's and these but I honestly can't tell. I have never ever run out of power or brown'd my pants with these babies.

I do downhill my bike and race on europes most severe runs and I do very well with out a so called downhill bike, I also XC and enduro. I only have 5" of travel and don't run six pots these do the job and save me a bucket load of weight. My bike is throwable without being 40+lbs infact its less than 23lbs with 5" of travel F/R. So downhill boys you can kiss behind because I beat you down the hill in 90% of all cases, fact. My race results prove that.
I may ride a USA designed bike built in Taiwan but the brakes are UK designed and built and nothing USA designed or built comes close.

Just try them and you will understand, we may dumb brits but we know how to stop and we know how to make things light.

Favorite Trail:   Afan

Purchased At:   leisure lakes

Similar Products Used:   avid juicy 7, M4's, moto vented

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X0 demo 09, 2lbs lighter than stock and 203mm floating rotors F/R, braided carbon look goodridge hoses.

Submitted by allgrainbrewer a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Or

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    Tough single billet construction, easy mounting and set-up, great stopping power even with 6" rotors.

Weaknesses:    Over-tightening the master cylinder cap causes fluid leak. Haven't had the best of luck bleeding even with the spendy Hope bleed kit.

Bottom Line:
Great brakes. I'd buy them again. Very reliable, great feel and modulation. Even on long descents they stay firm.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Bike Setup:   Chumba XCL, Pike 454 Dual air, Hope Pro II hubs, XT drivetrain

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Toronto ON.

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
i love em!

Purchased At:   net.

Submitted by MOO a Racer from Jerusalem

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    Great XC brake!! Never had a single glitch. Nice singlr finger modulation. Look very Cool. They will stop a lighter guy on a XC bike on a dime!

Weaknesses:    Havent found any yet

Bottom Line:
Brlliant if used what its intended for!! Not for DH or FR. Has saved my butt many times. Keep themm clean, change the pads before they are toast and they will keep functioning virtually mantance free. Love them!!

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   Tried Lots

Bike Setup:   Yeti Kokopelli,XTR,HOPE,RF,DTSWISS,WTB,SRAM,Blackspire.

Submitted by slowrider a Weekend Warrior from Midway City Ca U.S.

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2008

Strengths:    Light, sexy, effective as a xc brake

Weaknesses:    Set up hassles of is mounting and the small resevior allows the fluid to overheat enough to cause brake rub on long DH runs.

Bottom Line:
great, hot looking light xc brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Porc

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Most Hayes, Shimano etc

Bike Setup:   1fg

Submitted by MRFIX a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2008

Strengths:    Looks nice, light

Weaknesses:    Unfortunately, during the last 28 months that I own them I am facing allot of problems with the Hope mono mini breaks getting in and out of service:
• front brake was locked several times – not during riding, took the bike off the car, got on my bike and the wheel did not role (I do not take the wheel off during transportation).
•rear break got 3 times over heated and locked during XC ride.
•Twittering Sounds from the brakes on regular basis.
•Rear brake does not provide breaking power.

I must say that every ride I am terrified "what will be this ride with the hope mono mini".

Bottom Line:
Got in and out from sevice, emailed hope several times but no comments from them.

Got some info that the 2008 Min are OK but not sure If this is the right place to put my $$$$ after bad experiance