Hope Mono M4 Disc Brake System

3.79/5 (131 Reviews)

Hope Mono M4 Disc Brakes Front 203mm: Mono-Mini/M4 CNC'd split-clamp MC/lever assembly. 1-piece monoblock, 4-piston FR/AM caliper design (uses DOT 3/4/5.1 fluid) 74mm caliper with adapter (if needed), and 5mm (black) tubing with stainless fittings.

Submitted by woodcutter a Downhiller from Grimsby, Lincolnshire, UK

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2011

Strengths:    Build quality, looks, style, reputation, stopping power

Weaknesses:    slightly heavy, expensive (but worth it), original hope pads are useless.

Bottom Line:
Ok, these aren't the lightest or the cheapest brakes available on the market but they certainly aren't the heaviest or most expensive either.
Pount for pound these are the best brakes money can buy (in my opinion)
They are easy to fit, easy to maintain, easy to get spares for.
I run M4s f&r on my Whyte 46, with floating rotors and they are perfect for british trail riding. I spend most of my time at Dalby Forest or at Gisburn Forest and they have NEVER let me down, unlike other brakes.
I don't rate the hope pads at all but there are plenty of after market ones available. EBC red or gold is my weapon of choice.
The feedback these give you is perfect and you know exactly how much brake you are applying.
Spend time to set them up right (disc in centre of caliper) and they will be as good as they get. I'm confident that folks who have had bad experiences with these are just narrow minded and too lazy to set them up right. They need bleading properly too. Plenty of vids on youtube.

2 years of use and they are still unbeatable.

Favorite Trail:   Gisburn Forest, UK

Purchased At:   Online in UK

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 7, Juicy carbon, Hope Mono-6 Ti

Bike Setup:   Whyte 46 (2007), Fox Talas 36 RC2 forks, Fox DHX5 air shock, XTR f&r mech M970, XTR Shifters M970, Thomson Elite stem, Thomson Elite post, SDG bel-air, ODG lock ons, Easton Havoc bars, XT HT2 chainset, Hope Hoops, Hope Stanless BB, Hope M4's 205f 185r, DMR V12's, Schwalbe Nobby Nic evo.

Submitted by tpberesford a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2011

Strengths:    quality, stoping power, looks

Bottom Line:
these brakes are the nuts! they work all day long and knock the socks off all the other brakes i've had. get a mono m4 with a 180mm disk on the front and a mini with 160mm disk on the back, and for most riding(bar heavy dh) you can't go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   anything down hill

Similar Products Used:   avid elixair 5,hope mono mini, older m4,julie's,rim brakes

Bike Setup:   2011 orange crush,hopes,slx bash,blackspire stinger,charge seat and continental verticals

Submitted by DHSTEVE a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2010

Strengths:    powerful stopping and easy setup.

Weaknesses:    bleeding is awkward for the hoses and the brake is absolutely pointless if u actually want one to last!!!

Bottom Line:
they were too noisy for my linking. locked up when u didnt want then too. came out of line three times in a race! brakes only lasted about 4 rides. then supplier had to issue me with another set. which lasted for a few more runs. I strongly urge you not to but them.... get the avid elixir. much better. if u ride downhill then dont get it. not lasting long enough is the main problem. idf u r a cross country or gentle rider then they should be fine. just not any good for proper hard riding.

Favorite Trail:   hopton

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   avid elixir r, juicy's, mono mini. rims

Bike Setup:   24seven DH3
standard apart form my new elixir r brakes.... excellent

Submitted by Jayem a Downhiller from Prescott, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, good fade resistance and resistance to warping(especially with pinned "floating" rotors), simple to bleed, reliable. These use the same pads as the older shimano XT brakes as well.

Weaknesses:    Levers rattle a bit and need to be tightened from time to time, pretty rare though.

Bottom Line:
I never have problems with these. I did finally wear out a rotor (owned em since 2005 though), but otherwise they have been great and I never have to think about them. That is the sign of a great product.

Favorite Trail:   Private Reserve

Purchased At:   QBP

Similar Products Used:   Avid Code 5, Avid BB7, Avid Juicy, Hope DH4, Shimano LX, Hayes HFX, Hayes Mags, Magura Gustav...

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX.

Submitted by Andyvan a Weekend Warrior from Salisbury, UK

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    Looks pretty good, good modulation

Weaknesses:    Lacking power, rotors bend too easily, too expensive for performance.

Bottom Line:
Bought these 2nd hand about a year ago (06/07 Model - black) with (front) 200mm rotor as i found my 180mm mono mini was not powerful enough as i got better. Was just never really blown away. Had hoped to feel a dramatic difference to the minis and there wasn't.

Have since bought fibrax sintered pads - made a fairly big difference, hope floating rotors - still bend too easily and not much difference and goodridge braided hoses - more solid feel but only a little more power. After all that money I'm still not blown away and to top it of the lever feels almost sticky. Hard to explain but when you pull it quickly it feels as though there is loads of resistance. Bike shop said it may be air so had them bled - no differnce. I have cleaned an lubed pivots - no difference.

I know its not sensible but I want to know that I could lock the brake going downhill really fast with one finger. Can't even do it with 2 fingers. Bottom line - I have spent over £200 ($400) on this brake hoping it would be good as I thought it would be cheaper than buying a new brake and well it just isn't. Its alright but who wants an alright brake. Reckon its time to cut my losses and buy a formula brake. Although the new Moto M4 or whatever (silver, black caps) seems to fair better in reviews but I have just lost confidence in Hope

Just to say I'm not hope-bashing, love my clickety-clackety Pro 2 hubs and my rear mono mini with 160mm rotor is good, I can lock the wheel with one finger - its not problem free mind - bent rotor and the sintered pads, whilst powerful and lasting, need quite regular sanding as the become all smooth and useless (may be normal)

Purchased At:   2nd Hand

Similar Products Used:   Hope mono mini, Avid Juicy 3

Bike Setup:   On-One Ti456

Submitted by Alex from Sheffield

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2008

Strengths:    British made! Strong calliper, strong lever, good brakeing performance, easy to bleed and sevice, pads are cheep and they look "cool"

Weaknesses:    Hoses arent very flexable...?

Bottom Line:
Old (clasic) design, brilliantly made! Change the standard hoses, set them up well and the will out perform the new hayes and avid!

Submitted by Nick Errington a Weekend Warrior from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2008

Strengths:    Modulation, feel, power ,looks.

Weaknesses:    Rear needed bleeding right out of the box.

Bottom Line:
So far these brakes are very, very good. I only have around 6 rides on them so we'll see how they pan out in the long run. The set up was pretty easy. Except that the rear brake had hardly any fluid at all straight out of the box. This was not a big deal as I had to shorten the rear hose anyway. Filling and bleeding the rear was a breeze. The overall quality and feel of the brake is second to none, the levers feel perfect as does modulation and stopping power. However. Do not just grab a handful of front brake when you need to stop, you will get sent over the bars if you do this. Trust me I know.

Not cheap brakes but I do feel they are good value based on the quality.

Favorite Trail:   allofem

Purchased At:   monk a moo

Similar Products Used:   Shimano xtr

Bike Setup:   intense 6.6

Submitted by Michael H. a Cross Country Rider from North Central, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2008

Strengths:    Great power, superb modulation and very bling. Don't need to remove the wheel to worth with the pads.

Weaknesses:    Bit of a pain to set up. Perhaps a little heavy for pure XC use. Little more expensive than some of the other brakes out there.

Bottom Line:
I've had good experiences with a variety of Hope products so after hearing good reviews on the M4's, I thought I'd give them a go. I don't know if there are two version of the M4 anymore (Mono vs. regular) but these are definitely the Mono M4's.

I picked up the 203mm post mount front and a 180mm IS rear. (I'm a clyde class rider, so I make use of bigger brakes as I live in a town with a substantial river valley and most of our local trails have a fair bit of up and down)

Set-up took a little longer than other brakes have in the past, but it was well worth the added time to do it right. Break / bed in time was about 2 hrs of riding.

Once bedded in the brakes produce phenomenal power. I need only 1 finger to slow myself from a good speed to a trackstand while going down a 15% grade. Two fingers could easily launch you into an endo if you're too vigorous.

All that power does not come at the expense of modulation, though. Just yesterday I went down a snowy / slushy / muddy descent that made me appreciate the modulation and feel these brakes have to offer. In spite of the less than ideal surface, the brakes left me in total control without locking up.

Although QA/C has been a bit hit and miss in the past (see the previous reviews) it looks like they've got these down pat now... The M4's (mono or otherwise) are great brakes (just check out the other M4 reviews).

If you're not counting every gram or cross country race, these are wonderful brakes well worth the added weight. They take a little longer to set-up, but once done, they reward you with great power and modulation. May not be quite enough for pure DH work, but Hope has other brakes for that. Plus they look sweet. A little pricey, so the value chilis suffer a bit, but other than that, an outstanding product.

Favorite Trail:   Ewok Forest

Similar Products Used:   Hayes HFX-9s, cable actuated mechanical discs. Tried Juicy's of various levels.

Bike Setup:   Extensively upgraded Gary Fisher Cake 2 DLX.

Submitted by cracker666 a Weekend Warrior from northants

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2008

Strengths:    Stops quicker than slammin into a wall

Weaknesses:    Price, and setup,
Get the mounts spot faced and away you go.

Bottom Line:
Bloody good brakes, once properly setup.
Using Superstar pads.(from ebay) Very good.

Similar Products Used:   Avid 3,5,

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 3 upgraded to Full Xtr, Hope Mono M4

Submitted by Stephen Furness a Weekend Warrior from Auckland

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2008

Strengths:    Very strong, great modulation, I feel confident that they will stop me, I weigh about 95 KG or 210 Ibs so they are made to work hard some days.

Weaknesses:    I purchased the 2007 with a 203mm floating rotor on the front and I dont think the extra money is well spent, ( Looks good tho )

Bottom Line:
Great brake, great modulation , well made

Favorite Trail:   SPCA

Similar Products Used:   Hayes nine

Submitted by Nurettin a Weekend Warrior from TURKEY

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to install. powerfull.mostly silent when braking

Bottom Line:
If you are heavy you should buy 4 pad included brakes. like this. After use hayes (I think very good brakes) Hope mono m4 stopped me very strongly. no fear to stopping.but maybe little heavy than some other.

Favorite Trail:   cross country

Purchased At:   bike parts

Similar Products Used:   Hayes . Hope mono mini

Bike Setup:   Specialized epic s-works, chris king ,mavic ust, xtr component

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from France

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2007

Strengths:    This is a follow up to the review I wrote in 2004. I moved back to France a couple of years ago and to a town near the Jura and the Alps last year, so my still lovely Hopes do bigger downhills than they did at the beginning... They are still great - pivots on the levers are starting to show a bit of wear, they have had the fluid replaced twice (don't buy the Hope bleed kits which are a ridiculous ripoff, just get some plastic tube and a jam jar. The bike they're on gets used every day for around a 40km commute and the Hopes still work beautifully. Just pad changes once in a while (less often than the Deore LX disk pads on my other bike, which is used less) I use Hope pads and have had good luck with them. Seals are still the originals, no sign of leaks, just a clean every now and then (basically when I change the pads). Solid levers really feel dependable and the quality of the construction I am sure contributes to the longevity.

Weaknesses:    They still howl a lot when they get hot on big downhills (but then so do my Deore LX disks on my other bike). They can rub sometimes, and went through a spell where they rubbed really badly, though I think that this was due to the accumulation of a winter's grime on the pistons. The springs (to back off the pads - in between the pads) are, frankly, pathetic and break almost instantaneously, which can't help with the rubbing, but it has never given me any serious problems.

Bottom Line:
After 3+ years of hard use and embarassingly little maintenance the Hopes are still going very strong. Pivots on the levers will need to be replaced soon and a fairly thorough cleanout and overhaul of every part of the mechanism can't be far behind, but in view of the number of hours these have put in, in all conditions, used daily on and off-road I really can't complain. If you look at an investment in terms of aggravation saved and sheer reliability, the Hopes actually start to look quite reasonably priced. Well, almost...

Similar Products Used:   Deore LX disks - not really in the same league. When you use the Hopes, you understand what modulation should feel like.

Bike Setup:   Norco hardtail, all standard XT kit apart from the Hopes.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte,NC USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent stopping power,Cool Looking

Bottom Line:
These brakes are awesome!! Easy to mount and adjust.In 45 min. I was riding.Excellent modulation and stopping power.Hang on if you grab a handful of these brakes or you may go sailing over the handle bars!I am 195 lbs. and it sure is nice to have brakes you can count on.I love them.

Favorite Trail:   USNWC (Catawba)