Haynes Sole Disc Brake System

• Comfort lever blade
  • Mini single piston caliper

Submitted by Whatto a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Strengths:    Stopping power in all conditions. No grimey rims from brake pad wear. Pads have lasted well (in this application)

Weaknesses:    Lop-sided pad wear (single piston thing). Finnicky adjustment. Poor alignment to rotor.

Bottom Line:
As my first disc brakes and used only for commuting, they were great step up from rim brakes. Now I have experienced these I'm looking for something without all the frustrating bits.
My main gripe is the poor alignment to the rotor braking surface. The pads are actually wider than the wear surface of the disc and that means that a significant part of the pad runs on the 7 spokes of the disc. All it does is shudder! I have tried a different disc but to no avail.
For low-end hydraulics they get a low-end rating. Ho hum.

Favorite Trail:   Commute

Purchased At:   BikeNow

Bike Setup:   Kona Dr Dew commuting bike

Submitted by L4m3r a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2009

Strengths:    Works
Smooth braking

Weaknesses:    Cheap. Single-piston hydraulics? WEAK.
Difficult to adjust
Required bleeding after only a few months
Stupid bleeding system

Bottom Line:
These were my first disc brakes. At first I thought they were really cool- not just discs, but hydraulics! They stopped quickly and smoothly.

They did rub a lot, mostly because of the awful single-caliper design.

It was not long before the braking power started to diminish. It soon became clear that I needed to bleed my brakes. I bought the bleed kit and did the front, then started the back... I had a hard time getting the bleed valve open. Eventually I forced it with vise-grips, breaking the valve bolt and ruining the rear caliper.

After that, I bought some BB7s and never looked back. Overhauling the entire brake system was expensive, but I didn't want to deal with maintenance for hydraulic brakes.

Frankly, I can't see why anyone would BUY these. If they come on your bike, that's one thing... but if you're going to purchase a set of brakes, look elsewhere. There are mechanical brakes that are better than this junk.

Favorite Trail:   City riding

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy Seven (203mm front/rear)
Avid BB7 (185mm front, 160mm rear)
Tektro Aquila (160mm front/rear)

Bike Setup:   2008 GT Avalanche 2.0 w/ Avid Juicy Sevens

Submitted by dirtyjerz a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2009

Strengths:    Stop good, once broken in little adjustment needed.

Weaknesses:    Single piston design relies on rotor flex to work correctly.

Bottom Line:
These came with the bike. I wouldn't bike these to put on a bike cause there is nicer stuff for reasonable prices out there. They're better than rim brakes and better than mechanical discs I've ridden. I don't really like the way they work. Flexing a rotor laterally isn't really what I'd like to see. Even when they're adjusted right they have to bend the rotor towards the static pad some. That said they stop my 200lbs and 36lb bike consistently and I haven't done any maintenance to them after they broke in. I wouldn't use them for downhill but if you ride xc and they come on your bike they'll do.

Similar Products Used:   Cantilevers, V's, Unknown mech discs

Bike Setup:   06 mongoose wing super, mostly stock

Submitted by bedbugg2 a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    they are light and easy to replace pads.

Weaknesses:    they can get annoying with having to undo a small bolt to adjust pad contact which threads easily.

Bottom Line:
these brakes are good for XC and if you have the pad contact right they can work really well.

Favorite Trail:   bissoe

Purchased At:   standard on hardrock

Bike Setup:   sram X.9 rear derailleur, mz jr-t front forks, sram X.5 shifters, kore stem, venzo grips, holzfeller bars and the rest is standard.

Submitted by yakuza a Downhiller from Belmont CA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    no stopping power, they are really loud when you tap them lightly.

Bottom Line:
If you have extra money get better brakes. Good for street riding and cross country but if you like going fast dont get them

Favorite Trail:   C'mont

Purchased At:   pink bike

Submitted by Vitaly K. a Cross Country Rider from Israel, Haifa

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Strengths:    very simple brake. has no problem at all. need no maintenance at all. passed without leaking many crashes, part of them because it didn't stop.

Weaknesses:    my weight is about 95kg ant it just has not the power to stop me.

Bottom Line:
good brake for simple city bike. i am going to put it on my girlfriends bike.

Purchased At:   kona dealer

Similar Products Used:   have v-brakes before and should stay with it.

Bike Setup:   deore lx

Submitted by Gary Artis a Cross Country Rider from Woodland Hills, Ca

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    Calipers adjust with an allen wrench.

Weaknesses:    Noisy rotors. Rotors need to be burnished with emery cloth every few rides to reduce noise.

Bottom Line:
Came with the bike. In a year and a half of hard riding, these brakes have performed as well as any brakes I have used. The rotors start "singing" after a few rides, but a couples of swipes with emery cloth quiets them down. The calipers can be adjusted with an allen wrench without having to remove the wheel. I have used Hayes FX-9's in the past, but they were so much trouble I got rid of them.

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   Hayes FX-9, Avid BB-7.

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem-3.

Submitted by Fred Smith from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2008

Strengths:    No Significant mechanical problems. Easy to Adjust. Never needed to bleed.

Weaknesses:    Lack of stopping Power is the main weakness. Also the pads seem to glaze over very quickly on a decent decent, rendering the brakes almost useless.

Bottom Line:
Nothing special. Easy to use and adjust and never have had to bleed them, but they lack real power, especially for a hydro. They glaze over WAY to quickly. Average. Probably better to save up a bit more and upgrade to a better set.

Favorite Trail:   Kellevie

Purchased At:   Stock

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg 2007, Basically stock

Submitted by Spencer M a Weekend Warrior from Hamilton

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2008

Strengths:    cheap
relatively easy to adjust
great stopping power for "back country" riding
better than most rim brakes and some mechanicals

Weaknesses:    brake components loosen easily through use on trails
brake performance fluctuates (sometimes good, sometimes bad, depending on rider's maintenence)

Bottom Line:
These brakes are great for the average rider who likes to have fun and let off some steam on the back country trails in the neighbourhood. Stopping power is more than enough for going down steep downhills or for when one needs to stop on a dime at moderate speeds. Everything is easily adjusted, although some parts like to come loose soon after they are adjusted, but that's a minor setback. I would not recommend anyone who rides their bikes hard (ie downhill, freeride, etc, etc) to use these brakes. Not quite enough power for those applications. In all, I think these are great entry-level hydraulic discs, and those who want a taste of what they're like should try these out

Favorite Trail:   King's Forest/Felkers Falls/Valley Park loop

Purchased At:   Pierik's Cycle (came with Kona Cinder Cone)

Similar Products Used:   avid BB5s

Bike Setup:   2007 Kona Cinder Cone, all stock

Submitted by XC Rider a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2008

Strengths:    Not much.
Easy set-up?

Weaknesses:    Very poor braking power
Lever design is poor (just does not feel 'right/comfortable')
Horrible modulation

Bottom Line:
This is my first set of hydraulic disc brakes, and was very excited to finally have the power and modulation of hydraulics. Man, was I wrong... These brakes (I have both front and rear) really do not work as advertised. If I was Hayes, I would take it off the market ASAP rather than tarnish their brand like this. I'm going to have to look for another set of brakes before I hurt myself out on the trails.

Similar Products Used:   XT V-Brakes

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed 4.0 SRAM 9.0

Submitted by Collin from Rochester, NY, US

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2008

Strengths:    Good stopping power

Weaknesses:    Slightly reduced braking power when wet. Quite loud when wet as well.

Bottom Line:
These brakes work pretty well. Only problem I have had with them is that the brake line leaked once.
They work, that is really all that matters for the average person.

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 3 2005, stock parts

Submitted by bob p a Weekend Warrior from ohio

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2008

Strengths:    none this brake sucks so bad its not even funny
some people say u get wat u pay for but this aint the case

Weaknesses:    i had these brakes for 2 weeks and guess wat just guess i go out for my 5ith ride and im goin down a hill and my front brake line exploded!!!!! can u belive that they blew-up and it got brake fluid everywere wrecked my awsome paint job and oh man was i pissed,brand new bike too and the front brake sucked anyway so now i got new hope brakes and they are tanks!!

Bottom Line:
garbage!!!!! i wish i hadent boughht them they suck ,but i love my new hope brakes they rock

Favorite Trail:   not sure

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   none they suck so bad
if u buy these brakes purposly u are duh!!

Bike Setup:   kona scrap

Submitted by J a Cross Country Rider from New Brunswick

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap and you get what you pay for.

Weaknesses:    Worst brakes on the planet. Bleed every 10Km. For Crying out loud.

Bottom Line:
Sucks!

Purchased At:   Bungay's

Similar Products Used:   bb5, BB7, Juicy 3, Juicy 7, Hayes HFX

Bike Setup:   Super fast!

Submitted by Harry a Cross Country Rider from Sydney

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2008

Strengths:    Powerful brakes, no noticeable fade after heavy braking, brake levers very robust, lots of feel

Weaknesses:    Noise and vibration. Especially rear brake not so much for front. They are loud, making rattling and grinding noises.

Bottom Line:
Despite the noise and vibration issues, these brakes are
powerful and thus good value for money if you are looking for entry-level hydraulic brakes.

Similar Products Used:   V-brakes

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Dart 2, Sram x9 / Shimano XT, Hayes Sole (Apollo Enduro 2008)

Submitted by Steve G from Maple Ridge, canada

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2007

Strengths:    None when used for any length of time

Weaknesses:    Pistons seize,no installation adjustment, no easy wear pad adjustment, no good.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are crap. They came installed on my new Dr Dew and were my first discs, let alone hydraulic brakes. I thought they were great for my daily 15 mile commute. Then after less than a few hundred miles they caused trouble. Adjustment was hard to make (yes, these have to be adjusted manually like mechanical brakes, however there is no lever adjustment dynamic tuning). Then they started juddering under firm braking to the point I was in fear for the integrity of the forks! The LBS diagnosed that the brakes were not set properly on the rotor and the friction area was interrupted by its rotor supports...anyway there was NO adjustment possible with this one part system. Everything was functioning so no comeback to the manufacturers just bad,bad design. Shame on Hayes for producing such a poor product. Kona's 2008 Dr Dew doesn't use brakes anymore - they have Shimano M485 instead (I had to pay for these myself for my 2007).

Purchased At:   Imperial Cycles, Burnaby,BC